Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    than the original Toyota van, though. It is a microvan, about the same size as the bb now being sold here as the Scion xB.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• boxfanboxfan Posts: 180
    I don't think the Estima is THAT small. It's smaller than the new model (2004) Sienna, but still seats 7 or 8. I was hoping they would sell the Estima hybrid in the US, but I think Toyota (rightly) thought it was too small for American tastes. It would be great if they put the new hybrid system in the Sienna here.

The predecessor to the Sienna in the US was the Previa, which was pretty big (my parents have one). I think it was called the Estima in Europe (and possibly Japan), and the current Estima in Japan looks like an updated version of the older Previa/Estima.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A journalist is looking for a person who is in the market to buy a hybrid vehicle. If you care to be interviewed, please respond with your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, July 11.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I like them both. The Prius sounds like it's the more practical one, with fold down seats. The RX330 and Escape sound promising too.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Hatchbacks are efficient design, since the trunk extends to the roof height. Infact we can put box shaped goods like TV, washer, dryer, etc in hatchback, but not in sedan. There is no reason why some people think ugly. Anyway here is the comparison between

Camry, Corolla, Prius
                     ------ -------- -----
    Length 189.2, 178.3, 175.0
    width 70.7, 66.9, 68.0
    Height 57.9, 57.7, 58.6
    Cargo Capacity 17.0, 14.0, 16.0
    Front head room 39.2, 39.1, 39.3
    Rear head room 38.3, 37.1, 37.1
    Front Leg Room 41.6, 41.3, 40.1
    Rear Leg Room 37.8, 35.4, 37.2

Even though Prius-2004 is much smaller, it outweighs Corolla and compares quite favourable with Camry, that is why it is qualified as a mid-size vehicle.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    of the center arm rest to get it off the floor into a good position to rest your arm on.
    on the "update list" with Toyota for '04 Prius info for quite some time now, and I have yet to hear from them! I would still like to know what size and type of tire it will use...

I hear they will be out in October (Limited availability at first)...I wonder when they will be available as TRAC cars...I would like to take one out for a weekend and see if I can really get 55+ mpg out of it.

• boxfanboxfan Posts: 180
    Apparently Toyota is adding hybrid versions of the Sienna and Highlander as 2005 models in the US, in addition to the Lexus RS330 model they had already announced.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=01546239
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Posts: 148
    Security System/Garage Door Opener that cost another $340. If the Smart & Entry Start system prevent the unauthorized engine start-up, what does the security system do? Isn't the Smart & Entry Start some sort of security sytem?

I also have one hypothetical situation. I am stop at a red light waiting for the light to turn green. Suddenly an armed person decided to carjack the car to make his get away. Pulls me off the car, get into the drivers side and drives off. If I have the Smart & Entry system, will the car stop dead in its tracks after a few feet? If it does then "cool" and if it dose not "bummer".
  • quasar4quasar4 Posts: 110
    Uhm, if the new Prius is supposed to be quote "...bigger in every aspect than the 2003," then how come the front leg room has decreased from 41.2" to 40.1"??!
    I thought that they'd be coming out in late August or early September.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    The latest news is production begins the end of August and delivery (of the pre-orders) the middle of October.

In other words, it will seem like forever. Fortunately, I am currently averaging about 50 MPG in my classic Prius. So I hardly have a reason to complain about the wait.

JOHN
    does that mean you are trading for the new one? That will be an interminable wait if so! :-)

• mkinsonmkinson Posts: 3
    Any word on whether the new Prius will have run-flat tires or optional wheel tire combinations?
    Like with most vehicles, you get a standard OEM tire only, no pre-delivery option.

But since the new Prius uses the very common P185/65R15 size, you can put just about any type of tire on it that you want afterward.

JOHN
    It will be one of the longest waits ever! (Except the wait for a Sienna!)
    > longest

Nope!

I waited longer for my first Prius.

JOHN
  • Most of the 2001 and 2002 US Prius were only available
    through Internet ordering. An average wait time
    between your order, and receiving the car, was about
    4 months (a little longer on the east coast).

Since the 2004 Prius only became orderable in July,
    the expected first deliveries in October only puts
    the wait around 3 months to start. Not too bad.
    will be the longest wait of my life! I want to test drive one to see how it performs on the road. Anyone have any predictions? Camry like, or what?
    more Echo-like than Camry-like, in handling. In terms of interior appointments and NVH, I am sure it will be similar to Camry, however.

I would at least think that being as big as the Camry, it would at least drive like a Corolla. (which is buttery smooth)
    nippononly likes to make claims without providing detail to support them. Being vague, especially when it comes to *ACTUAL NEEDS*, is the key.

> Echo-like handling

What basis can that assumption be made? The new Prius doesn't resemble an Echo in any aspect of size, shape, or weight. A Corolla or Camry would be a closer match.

JOHN
    I dislike your tone, I honestly do...why do you pick on other posters so much? I made no claim at all - I preceded the post with a big "probably". I think it is probable because it will still ride on tires that are narrow when compared to other similar-size cars, or to its own height.

And I have never made one single reference to anyone's "actual needs" as you have so prominently asserted.

If I didn't know better, I would think you had a financial stake in the success of the Toyota Prius. or perhaps I don't know better, and you do?

Camry SE
    ---------------------
    Length: 189.2 in
    Width: 70.7 in
    Wheel Base: 107.1 in
    Curb Weight: 3186 lbs

NEW Prius
    ---------------------
    Length: 175.0 in
    Width: 67.9 in
    Wheel Base: 106.3 in
    Curb Weight: 2890 lbs

Corolla LE
    ---------------------
    Length: 178.3 in
    Width: 66.9 in
    Wheel Base: 102.4 in
    Curb Weight: 2590 lbs

Echo
    ---------------------
    Length: 164.8 in
    Width: 65.4 in
    Wheel Base: 93.3 in
    Curb Weight: 2105 lbs

> I would think you had a financial stake

I DO! EARTH! For those that choose not to take care of it, they should get off. <hehehe>

Actually, since I haved owned a Prius for just about 3 years now and 56,220 miles, I know for a fact that claims about inadequacies for the average consumer are not true.

> why do you pick on other posters so much?

This group (the hybrid forums here) has always had a hostile tone compared to the others available. Why? I have no idea. So I chosen to use this use this group for sparring. That results in great ideas, lots of good material for the handouts other owners like to share. In other words, I find debating rewarding. It's good practice for when the in-person encounters occur.

Other groups aren't like that. In fact, I'm not even like that on other groups. And the moderators seem to enjoy the seemingly harmless banter we churn out here.

JOHN
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi Everyone - Let's avoid making each other the subject of discussion, and keep the focus on the subject of the 2004 Toyota Prius. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    I think that the new Prius would be closest to the Corolla in terms of ride and handling.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Because the Prius-2004 is a hatchback model, it has the same
    cargo capacity as Camry and in front & rear shoulder & legroom
    also it comes closer to Camry and much bigger than Corolla.

The real advantage of hatch is that the trunk is as tall as the car's
    roof and so a shorter trunk will match the capacity of sedan's larger trunk
    Also I guess the bonnet of Prius-2004 is somewhat shorter than Camry.
    In all Toyota has done a nice design.

At 20k, it has the same price of Camry while getting nearly 100 %
    extra mileage. Prius-2004 should get the return on investment.
    Sounds like a good deal. Hope many people trade in their whopping Hummer H1s to drive this environmentally friendly car. Wonder if Bill Ford will buy one. (He's the type who would buy a car to help save the Earth)
  • I went to site, but did not find area to order a new Prius. Does anyone know? Also, will all dealers offer the car at the same price and how do I know if I'm too late or not to get by Oct or Nov.?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Preprius!