Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• philmophilmo Posts: 77
    At one time it was quite common. However, I think the mandate now is to stick to MSRP as the Toyota dealership ratings were getting tanked by dissatisfied shoppers cranky with both the markups and delayed deliveries. I guess the bounty wasn't worth the bad word-of-mouth for friends and families interested in Tundras, Camrys and 4Runners. Regionally, here in the Rocky Mountains, dealers I've called have been emphatic about there being no arbitrary markups. Its seems that may not be the case in your area.
    RIght after my last post I saw this story at CNN.com..

"Car Buyers Hit Brakes on Prius

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/29/news/international/bc.toyota.usa.reut/?postversi- on=2006112920

I'd print this out and take it into your dealer and demand MSRP at the very least. Or, walk.
  • I am the new owner of a red 2007 Prius Package 2 and am delighted to join this group of happy owners. I was offered a package 5 but didn't want the beige interior, since I'm too messy to survive the lighter color fabric. I am shopping to see what is available to replace the single disk CD with a 6 disk changer and Sat radio, XM or Sirius, doesn't matter. Can anyone offer specific suggestions please?

Thanks.

AK
  • The rear seat on the passenger side has a plastic grid that is about 7" long and 2" wide.
    Anyone know what that is?

Thanks
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    It's in your manual toward the beginning. It's ultra critical ( seriously ). It's the air intake for the the airflow that keeps the batteries cool.

Do NOT Block this vent! The batteries can overheat if there isn't an airflow.
  • gpostgpost Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 Toyota Prius (package 3 I think)that we bought new in late August 2006. We are relocating and have driven from VA to NY a bunch of times and have put about 7500 miles on it by mid-Dec. So far the car has been great and drives well.
    We took a short trip to Snowshoe Mtn WV and after it had been parked at mountain top for a day (4500' elevation and it stayed above freezing) a 'chirp' developed when the brake pedal is depressed (moving or not). At first I thought it was my rubber boot sliding on the pedal and making the noise. Was not that. Very light pressure on the pedal did not cause the noise and did engage the brakes a bit, but depressing it more than 1/2 inch would cause the chirp from behind the dash near the pedal, fairly loud, not coming from the brakes.
    The next day as we left the mountain it still made the noise. As time went on (and we got down the mountain) the chirp got quieter and now is gone.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Gene
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    I've read others reporting this chirp. The consensus was it is the brake pressure pump starting up. As the car can not rely on the engine running for vacuum for the brake booster there is a pump in the car that takes the place of manifold vacuum. So it appears to be "normal". BTW, some of the other reports I've read reported the chirp starting after a visit to a mountain pass.
  • jgwddsjgwdds Posts: 2
    Anybody have experience with roof racks on a Prius? I like to carry skis in "Rocket Box" and haul my bikes around on top as well. How nuch does the mpg suffer? Does the car suffer from the drag? Thanks.
  • jgwddsjgwdds Posts: 2
    I own two cars with 6 disk CD changers and XM radio. I rarely use the CD changers and almost always listen to XM radio or NPR. In other words, I'm not sure I would go out of my way to buy a 6 disk changer again. Hope this helps. JGWDDS
  • esuommesuomm Posts: 19
    Give Crutchfield a call. Sorry delayed response, new to this board.
  • I am researching the Prius brake Noise (chirp). This noise started in my 2006 Prius (at less that 8,000 miles). I noticed it during my commute in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have driven the car up and over the Sierra Nevada mtns. once - but the noise did not start on that trip. I have had the car into the dealer 3 times for repair. The noise escallated to happening every time I started the car; whether or not the brake was depressed. The technician diagnosed the problem as part of the ABS system. The brake actuator was was replaced. The noise reappeared after several weeks, and Toyota recommended that the brakes be bled due to the possibility of air in the lines. That was done. The repair lasted a couple of weeks and reappeared again. Toyota sent a technician to my local dealer to evaluate the issue. His recommendation was to bleed the system again. I do not have confidence that this is the final solution since it's does not appear that the source of the problem has been found.

In addition to the chirp, the car developed the rough stopping issue also reported by others. It's as though the brakes were grabbing - a smooth stop was not possible by anyone driving the car. The solution for this was to resurface the rotors, and sand/clean the brake pads. This seems like an inappropriate issue for a car with 11,000 miles - mainly freeway driving.

I'm interested in hearing from others who are having similar issues.
    Nothing like this yet on mine. 14 mos's and 37,000 mi.

I have a friend who's at 36 mo's and 135,000 miles with no issues at all save worn fabric and he's still on his original brakes.
  • c2rosac2rosa Posts: 76
    News Item from Automotive News:

Amid all the recent talk in Washington about raising fuel economy standards, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. was quietly trying to work off a backlog of unsold Prius hybrids by offering the first incentives on the fuel-saving hatchback. Seven of Toyota's 12 U.S. sales regions were offering a low lease payment, cut-rate finance deals or cash to the dealer for each unit sold.
  • The Automotive News article also points out that Prius sales DROPPED in 06 compared to 05.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    A very slight drop, and expected with the availability of the Camry hybrid in 2006.
    Within 1% of the target which was the same target as the year before. Essentially it hit its goal.

Now this year 3 months into the 4th year of this model's life it's acting just like any other vehicle. It's not new, astonounding, innovative or cutting edge. It's just a car. Typically in the final years of a model incentives are the norm rather than the exception. OK the Corolla was an exception last summer but that was due to forces outside the norm.
  • One of our 2 minivans just died, and we're not only tired of the minivan thing, we're even more tired of burning gallon after gallon of gasoline. We'd really like to go with a Camry Hybrid or Prius. My wife hates the Camry entirely due to the trunk size and lack of a true pass through (doesn't meet "Soccer Mom" standards). She loves the Prius, but my daily commute during the week is a combined 25 minutes on 40-50 mph rural roads combined with another 25 minutes of 75 mph super highway traffic. I've read reviews about the Prius not being a "highway" car due to seat comfort, ride and handling issues. Plus the comment that it's really not designed to operate at 75 MPH effectively. Can anyone comment on real-world experience in this regard? Is the prius really best as a city car, or can it provide day to day comfort in the driving scenario I describe. Yes, I've test driven it, but its hard to gauge doing this type of daily commute from a test drive! (wish I could rent one!)
    I've got a similar commute to yours although 70 is about the max on the interstate segment. I've had my Prius since Nov '05 and now have 39000 miles on it. The four previous commuters were LE Camry's.

A) My commute is 75 mi each way, 15 of which is at about 30-40 mph and 60 of which is about at 60-70 mph.
    B) Overall fuel economy for the Prius now is 48.1 mpg ( 51 in summertime and 45 in wintertime )
    C) I like the position and the support of this Prius better than any of the other 4 Camry's, or the current one. It's a lot firmer.
    D) I do like very much the electric power steering ( EPS ) that the Prius offers. I find it very very precise in handling. It does eliminate 'road feel' but with this smany miles it could float for all I care I have no interest in 'feeling the road'. There is no play in the wheel.
    E) With a relatively high profile and somewhat narrow width it is prone to being buffetted in the wind.

F) The Prius will do much better in slower driving situations like suburban or city streets. It can easily do 75 or 85 mph on the highway but I feel that the 1.5L ICE is on the small side for the size and the weight of this vehicle. OTOH the 2.4L in the TCH is better matched to the larger size and weight of that vehicle. When driving on the HWY at say 75 mph it's the ICE that is primarily driving the vehicle.

I switched out of Camrys after 16 years of commuting in them. I think that the Prius is much better than any of the past 4. As your wife notes it is more useful. I've had a 43" flatscreen and briefcase and set of golf clubs in the back of the Prius.
    I've not found the Prius (2007/pkg#4) to be particularly prone to wind buffeting after having driven it around in the nasty, down-slope and blizzardy winds we've had around Denver the past few weeks. More than our Volvo S60, less then our Grand Cherokee. I've been in minivans that really get buffeted around when you're quartered behind a semi and it's nothing like that.

I hated the driving position at first but eventually got used to it after using the same setting as my wife but sliding it back. I had been trying a semi-reclined position ala the Volvo but it was killing my shoulders and neck. The steering wheel does not telescope.

Be sure you test both the Touring and non-touring suspensions as they are quite different in feel, with fans for both setups. To each his own. (We very nearly passed on the Pruis based on our first test drive with one model, but tested again with the other and found it enough to our liking to buy the car.)

Our typical drive is similar to yours though shorter. Five miles of twisty mountain road at 35 mph; 10 miles of county highway at 45; 20 miles of interstate. All downhill one way, uphill coming back. Averaging 45-48 right now with Colorado's winter oxygenated blend and the application of "lips" -- foam inserts on the grill to keep the engine running warmer. (Everything you'd ever want to know about this over at the PriusChat.com "Modifications" forum. Use at your own risk.

I haven't been out and about with the car at speed for any long trips but am continuously surprised at how many of them are showing up at ski area parking lots. Those folks are braver or better drivers than am I -- or have switched to snow tires.

Your wife apparently has vetoed the Camry hybrid but let me add that my brother-in-law just got one and really loves it.

Good luck with your decision, Phil
  • I've been reading many of the messages here and on accessories and haven't found any that respond to this. I have an 06 pkg 6, dark gray interior. The padded segments of the dash are a dark gray but just below the blowers right and left of the LCD display it's a tacky looking faux metal that is really a thin metal flake-like paint over a light gray plastic. Has anyone else found a close match from a parts store like an Autozone. I'd hate to walk into one and say I need to take about 15 of your spray paint can lids outside and compare them to my dashboard.

Putting 3 tons less crap a year into the air,
    rbillymac
  • I commute 30 miles to work - all freeways. I've had the car for a couple of weeks. The car handles freeways perfectly - passing power is very good. I've had the Prius up to 95MPH so far and it seemed rather pleased to go that speed. Most of the time, I'm at 75MPH - just staying with the rest of the traffic.

I have the '07 Touring w/#6. I was originally leaning towards an Acura TL Type S, or an Infiniti G35 Sport or a Lexus IS350 (I liked the Lexus best), but I decided the Prius was more exciting and more practical on several levels. While the Prius may not keep up with any of those 3 cars, it is very gratifying to fill the tank with 9 gallons after driving nearly 400 miles. And my mileage keeps on getting better.

I gave up my 260HP Acura CL Type S for the Prius. I loved the Acura, but the Prius has a Zen-like quality to it that makes it very attractive. Oh, and one of my runs to 95MPH was in a "race" with a Civic Hybrid. I know I could have dusted the Civic, but we ran out of room as rush hour traffic was building.

So... If you want a practical, very reliable (according to numerous sources, including Consumer Reports), low maintenance, quiet, comfortable car - definitely consider the Prius.
  • I was considering a Prius as my next car so I rented one for a week. I drove 1180 miles city and highway. I fell in love with it. You might call your Toyota dealer and ask if in their TRAC (Toyota Rent A Car) program they have one available. My dealer had one. I reserved it ahead and took it on a long trip. The weekly rental with unlimited miles cost $225.00 plus tax. I would say that it's best economy is in city traffic or at most moderate highway speeds. It cruised very comfortably at 75 MPH but the fuel economy drops off quite a bit at these speeds. I currently have an Avalon but am fed up with the transmission behavior and incessant rattles, squeaks, creaks and vibrations. I wanted a car that was spacious inside but had a reputation for quality that all Toyotas used to have. When I read that according to Consumer Reports owner surveys, the Prius has the most satisfied customers (95%) I wanted to try one out. It will be my next car purchased this Fall. Especially now that the dealers don;t have the ability to gouge on prices anymore.
  • I am researching the Prius prior to purchasing one, and am just trying to clear up a few questions. First, what effect does the cruise control have on gas mileage? I have read about pulse and glide being most efficient, but I am accustomed to using my cruise almost everywhere. As soon as I get to 35 mph I turn it on and I use it to slow up and down as the speed limit changes along my route. Will that cost me in fuel efficiency? Second, the stories I've read about the traction control locking up the wheels have me spooked. Have they solved this for the 2007 model?
    Both good questions.

A) Cruise: It's a personal choice. I find that using my own inputs that get very very slightly better fuel economy by using pulse and glide. On a very long trip cruise is very helpful though. You mentioned putting it on at 35 mph. I definitely wouldn't do this because the HSD is set up so that when you let off the pedal at 41 mph and less the gas engine actually turns off and burns no fuel whatsoever. This is a huge saving. If you set it at 35 mph as soon as it sensed 34.8 mpg it would shoot some gas into the system. You might want to up your setting to say 45 mph and higher.

B) There was definitely an issue with the Traction Ctl System and heavy snow/ice on the earliest Prius'. If you were at a dead stop in deep snow or on ice the TCS would brake the wheels to keep you from spinning out...but then you wouldn't go anywhere.

To address this issue in 2005, beginning with the 2006 models, Toyota modified the TCS to allow some spinning of the wheels to allow the driver to spin and rock themselves out of deep snow.

Pose your question also on PriusChat or GreenHybrid to drivers who live in Canada and the Rockies. Most will tell you it's not a problem.
  • I own & operate an '04 Prius with 59,000 miles. Just put my 1st set of replacement tires on and am still on my original set of brakes (this is a 1st). Most of all my cars I've ever owned needed brake pads and/or rotors turned at about 32-36 thousand miles. This has been a pleasant surprise. Now.. As to wheel slip. I have noticed after three winters and especially this one with it's heavy snowfall, a pattern unique to the hybrid Prius. There is a completely different feel of the wheel traction with the Prius. Actually, it's more of a lack of it due to the electric mode I think. With three years under my belt and alot of trust in this amazing car I think that its best put by saying this car is rewriting the way a car feels, handles, and reacts to the outside world. One last point: I have come to the surprised amazement that the Prius tracks quite well in heavy snow and it seems to pull even a bit better than many other frontwheel drive cars I've owned. The only noticable disappointment I've had with my Prius is the considerable drop in MPG's when it's severly cold (say in the teens and less). Gas engine runs considerably more to get heat to the heater my guess. Oh! and cruise sure helps to get best MPG's.
    A friend to whom I've sold two Prius' uses his for his mobile office. 135,000 mi in exactly 3 years.

He too is still on his original set of brakes!!!

Tread lightly and this amazing car will continue to surprise and surprise.
  • Thanks to everyone for their input. So I took a Prius out today for a couple hours. I must be misunderstanding something about the motor vs the engine at slow speeds. I thought that the engine wouldn't come on until you got up to 41 mph unless: 1. you have to warm the catalytic converter up when you first start, 2. you have the A/C or the heater on anything but the lowest settings, or 3. you have to accelerate hard to get up to speed. But even with the radio and the air system turned off, I couldn't get past 11 mph without the engine kicking in. Outside temp was 47 F. I got onto a side road in a neighborhood where the road was flat and there was no traffic to p*** off, but I couldn't get to 12 on the motor alone. Am I misunderstanding how it should work, or do you have to accelerate on a downhill, or what?
    The ICE will come on when the computer wants it to. :) That is to say don't worry about it really. The 41 mph trigger is where the ICE will turn off when you the operator tell it to turn off. Sounds confusing?

At a cold start the computer will tell the ICE what to do.
    After being warmed up fully, 10-15 min, then you have more control over the ICE up to 41 mph. Up to this point if you don't give the GO pedal much pressure you'll crawl forward on the e-motor only such as in slow heavy traffic or in a mall parking lot.

When you put your foot into it the ICE will take over and run almost all the time. It's very dependent on your foot. Release the pressure, under 41 mph, and the ICE will turn off.

Don't worry about crawling up to 40 mph from a standing start, it takes too long and doesn't work. Just accelerate up to normal speed and then let off the pedal if conditions warrant it. To tell you the truth, no one, well almost no one, ever get off from a standing stop faster than I do. I just gun it get up to the speed of traffic and glide/coast as much as possible. ( 48 mpg lifetime average over 40000 mi - mostly highway at 62 mph )
  • nrborodnrborod Posts: 79
    I hear that Toyota is beginning to finally offer some deals on the Prius models due to slowing sales. Indeed, I have seen a few lease plans that potentially( I have NEVER liked Toyota sales practices at all ) look attractive, and I'm considering looking into the car after dismissing it due to ridiculous prices in the past. In speaking to a friend who recently drove a Prius at night, she commented about a green reflection on the windshield at night that she found dangerous. Has anyone else experienced this , and if so, can you comment?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    The green reflection is from the speedometer. It can be almost eliminated with a small hood over the meter readout. The light is projected up, and reflected to horizontal by a mirror. In other words, when you look at the readout, you're actually looking at a mirror. This system has some spillover of light, and a small hood over the speedometer readout will stop most of it from impacting and reflecting on the windshield. Keeping the inside of the windshield clean helps too.

Slowing sales? Feb sales were an all time record for Prius, I'm told. Toyota has ramped up delivery to the US dealers. Now that they have lots of cars, they have to use "standard sales practices" for cars, instead of "if you want it, make an offer, it's the only one we'll have this month" as happened in the past few years.

There is some speculation Toyota is using up parts for the current model, getting ready for the next generation Prius. It's possible, but there is no real evidence, although there have been some comments from Toyota people on how "well" the new design is coming along.