Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Yes sales are booming now because the initial hesitancy has passed and the vehicle has proven itself after 6 years here. Toyota doubled production and shipment to the US so every dealer has what would be 'normal' inventory.

The deals are attractive especially the financing.

Regarding the green reflection on the window at night... there has always been a dimmer on the dash light 'roller'. All the way UP it clicks into place and is very bright. Roll it DOWN slightly past the click and the screen goes to a dark background with very little reflection on the windshield.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Posts: 72
    My Son's Prius 2001 has over 80,000 miles & he is concerned about it.

Has ANYONE had to replace their batterry near 1000,000 iles?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    I'd be surprised if anyone has 1 million miles on a Prius yet. ;) The most I heard about was a taxi driver who put about 250,000 miles on it with the original battery.
    Other than owner abuse to my knowledge none, or a tiny miniscule number, have ever been replaced for failure.

If it's within or very close to 100K then it's still within warranty until 2009. Toyota's own testing indicates that the batteries should last the life of the vehicle ( 150K? 200K? 250K? ).

Do a google and see how many actual owners have had the batteries fail. Lot's of people were afraid that they might but there is little or no evidence that they ever have.

I have a friend to whom I've sold two. His Prius is his office. On his second one the odo turned 135,000 miles on it's third birthday. Other than change the oil and filters and get three sets of tires he's done nothing to it at all...and he's on his original set of brakes. After 50 years of buying Fords his last two vehicles were Prius' and he can't wait for Oct 2008 when the next Gen comes out. His 2004 will have about 200K+ on it by then.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    He's talking of a 2001 model, which we call the gen 1, NHW10 I believe. They were slightly less reliable than the current gen 2 or NHW11. He can get a replacement battery for under $3000 I'm told. Used ones are available for around $500. IF it fails. If it's not showing any signs of failure by now, it will probably last the life of the vehicle.

There have been failures. More in the gen 1 than the gen 2 per vehicles on the road. So far the only failures I've heard of in the gen 2 were caused by manufacture faults, and occured relatively early in the life of the battery. They have been failures of a few cells only. Toyota replaced the battery without incident. Last I heard there are less than 30 replacements - out of well over 200,000 vehicles on the road.

Think reliability of automatic transmissions for comparison.
    Correction - gen 1 is NHW 11, gen 2 is NHW 20. NHW 10 is the original model, only sold in Japan.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,792
    "If it's within or very close to 100K then it's still within warranty until 2009. "

Nope, the original Prius did not have the same warranty as the Gen 2. I think it was 75K and 5 years, but don't quote me on those numbers. I have seen some problem reports on the Gen 1 that were not covered under warranty because the owner had over 80K miles.
    "He can get a replacement battery for under $3000 I'm told. Used ones are available for around $500. "
    Can you provide a URL or address to confirm these numbers? Where the heck would one get a Used Prius battery?
    Several people have found them on ebay. There are also "recyclers" who specialize in Prius batteries. If you need one, check the auto recycler systems. I was reporting on situations discussed on Priuschat and Priusonline re the costs. A Toyota dealer can quote you their price anytime. Just remember it's a gen 1 Prius. I suspect the newer Prius battery would be a little more, but maybe not.
  • I have read mixed messages about what the Prius is like in the snow. Living in Ohio's snowbelt this is a concern, what do owners have to say about this?
    Thanks.
    Correction;
    Here is Edmunds first Road Test of the 2001 Prius. It states that the hybrid warranty is 8/100 just the same as the Gen 2 Prius.
    Road Test 2001 Prius

I sold the first one in this area back at the end of 2000 but just to make sure my memory wasn't wrong I looked it up again. It always was the same.
    Try GreenHybrid or PriusChat. There are always threads on there and questions and answers.

The biggest problem seems to be on the older models and the ones not using snow tires. Hmmmm
    "Here is Edmunds first Road Test of the 2001 Prius. It states that the hybrid warranty is 8/100 just the same as the Gen 2 Prius."

Well, I told you not to quote my numbers! Thanks for the correct numbers. However, note that the Gen 2 Prius has a more generous warranty of 10 years, 150K miles in the CARB states. I don't think this was available to the Gen 1. Note that this covers only the batteries and hybrid systems.
    What you say is true about the extended warranty. You -imply- (sorry if I misunderstand) it's generous on Toyota's part. It isn't. It's mandated by CARB. In fact, I believe all hybrids sold there must give that warranty, not just Prius.
    Sometimes big brother watches you, and sometimes just watches out FOR you. ;)
    "What you say is true about the extended warranty. You -imply- (sorry if I misunderstand) it's generous on Toyota's part. It isn't. It's mandated by CARB. In fact, I believe all hybrids sold there must give that warranty, not just Prius"

No, I wasn't meaning to say that Toyota voluntarily added to the warranty.

"Sometimes big brother watches you, and sometimes just watches out FOR you. "

Big brother is always watching you, more and more, and I have not yet found the area in which I got back more from the Government than they took in taxes.
  • nrborodnrborod Posts: 79
    I've heard some comments about this, but I'm not clear. Can someone tell me what the Touring ed. has that the other version doesn't, AND, with all Priuses, are snow tires recommended as opposed to standard stock equipment tires, during the winter. I take it the standard tires have very little roll resistance, and minimal bite in snow.
    The Prius tires are the same exact 15" tires on the Corolla and I believe Civic. Goodyear Integrity.

Middle of the road fair weather tires. That's it.
    Touring has 16" wheels and better tires. It also has a stiffer suspension, and a larger rear "lip" spoiler. A Touring model, similarly equipped to the "standard model", will cost about $270 more. The Touring gets slightly poorer mileage compared to the standard. Perhaps 5-10% difference. It's too early to tell for sure as the ones sold so far are just getting broken in. I base my estimate on the Japanese and European experience.

Test drive both and decide if you like handling. I found the "standard model" felt a little unsure on the road. Unfortunately, the Touring is not available in Canada.

If you get snow frequently, you will want snow tires for winter (4 tires). Some owners purchased steel rims and snow tires for the winter. Some slide around (or don't move), some don't get snow. ;)
  • Hi,
    The BT stiffening plate will help with the "unsure" feeling on the road as well as feel in cornering.
    We had it for a couple of years on our 2005 and now have the plate on both 2007 cars.
    Carl
    What is a "BT stiffening plate", and where can it be had?
  • Try this link. http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/6/products_id/21

If inop let me know.
    We had it on the 05 and now on both 07s.
    Carl
    What kind of mileage are you getting with the Touring edition? Someone on this forum suggested the Touring edition's mileage will be a little less than the standard version.
    I'm curious to know what kind of maintenace schedule the recent Priuses require, and is it true that only Toyota dealerships are equipped to service them? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
  • Hi,
    Oil/filter change every 5K miles. 15K and 30K a few other inspections.
    I go to a "quick change" shop that knows these cars well.
    Just keep receipts for warranty.
    Carl
    There is nothing different in a Prius over any other 4c FWD except the maintenance is less.

Oil and filters for the ICE every 5K or 6 mo as noted above.
    Timing chain for the ICE..no maintenance.
    Sparkplugs for the ICE .. replace at 100K plus miles.
    Air filters for the ICE as normal say once a year.
    Winterizing for the ICE as normal say once a year.

Note the highlights.

Brakes? Many reports of original brakes going well over 100K. A friend is at 140K with his original brakes.
    Oh the coolant in the PSD has to be changed at some interval between 70K and 100K miles.

That's it.
  • riposteriposte Posts: 160
    I'm consistently getting 53+ mpg in my Touring Edition, which I've had since the end of November, 2006.

Having said that, I'm in Florida, and the weather is generally mild in the winter, so it's not a fair comparison to folks living up north.
    Thankyou for your reply.
    I'm curious to know what led you to decide on the Touring Edition, and what differences have you found in the feel and performance? What equipment differences besides tire/wheel size?
    Touring edition gets stiffer suspension and a larger rear spoiler, along with the 16" wheels and slightly lower profile tires (same overall diameter as the standard model).

I'll let riposte comment on the handling differences (if he/she test drove the standard model).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,867
    A reporter with a large local newspaper is hoping to talk current Toyota Prius owners who have noticed a white streak on your dashboard after your fingers have touched the dashboard. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, March 23, 2007 with your daytime contact info

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"A reporter with a large local newspaper is hoping to talk current Toyota Prius owners who have noticed a white streak on your dashboard after your fingers have touched the dashboard."

Hear that sound? It's countless Prius owners rushing out to touch their dashboard for the first time :surprise: