Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• It looks like the package I picked does have "Homelink" - Package #4(AG). The only thing that I would have liked to have in this package or as a separate option are fog lamps. Thanks Michelle for the info.
  • I stopped my my local Toyota dealer today and the salesman who rushed to greet me at my car as I got out of it didn't even know that the Prius was being redesigned for 2004!

Needless to say he couldn't answer my questions like whether they will have any rental cars available and whether any of the options can be added by the dealer on top of a package (because none of the packages are quite what I would want).

Anyone here know if any options are dealer-installable? I would want package AM plus the upgraded stereo and homelink options.

Saw the car at the Texas State Fair; thought it looked good except that the wheels look too small. They kept it locked but it did look quite spacious inside... I can't wait to drive one.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > not only will the oil be congealing down below

Warm oil is not necessary for engine protection. Cold works just fine.

What's needed is oil PRESSURE and complete DISTRIBUTION before the first cylinder fires.

With a 33kW motor in the classic Prius (50kW in the 2004), you've a ridiculously powerful starter. It spins the engine to between 800 and 1000 RPM beforehand. Then once oil pressure is established, the engine starts. That is an amazingly smooth process. A traditional engine, with a tiny starter only capable of spinning up to about 100 RPM for just a moment, just plain can't compete.

In short, a traditional startup is actually harder on an engine than what happens in a Prius.

JOHN
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Those who have sat in a '04 Prius: how's the rear head room? Enough for a 6 footer (which my oldest son will be very soon)? The Edmunds.com review mentioned rear headroom is a bit tight, and I can understand why looking at the profile of the car.

Also, how is the driving position? Edmunds mentioned something about the steering wheel position. I've oversensitive to this potential problem in small Toyotas after driving the '03 Corolla and finding out it was designed for short drivers, and is quite uncomfortable for average-sized people like me.
  • paul34bpaul34b Posts: 33
    DO the photos in the new 2004 Prius brochure have tinted glass? I didn't think this was an option but all of Toyota pictures show the vehichle with dark glass yet in the pictures people have left on this and other message boards there is no tinting. Can someone explain?
  • The brochure mentions of High Solar Energy-Absorbing (HSEA) glass. There is a slight tint compared to regular auto glass. I myself was a little bit disappointed that the windshield did not even come with the dark visor tinting. The only dark tinted glass is the strip glass in the liftback portion just below the rear wiper.
  • i thought all new cars ('04+) regardless of brand coming stateside have to have the tire pressure monitoring system either standard or as an option after the bridgestone/explorer fiasco. true? i think the new prius has it as a standard item (got it off its website)
  • does anyone like the clear rear light housing on the new prius? it seems to be a trend in the states and here. we call it lexus lights while you call it euro lights. i think the "fast and furious" crowd in california invented the trend for their souped-up hondas and toyotas and it went mainstream in a bad way. i hope when the car coming to europe this jan won't have the clear light. keeping my fingers crossed :)
    > I can find no indication of it from the windows sticker

Since the "low fuel" warning indicator isn't normally listed, I wouldn't expect the "low pressure" to be either.

JOHN
    > does anyone like the clear rear light housing on the new prius?

It is a safety improvement. The difference between off & on is quite obvious that way. So I like it.

JOHN
  • I feel the opposite. Any light which is red is ingeniously masked. If you get the opportunity, take a close look at the rear taillight assembly. You'll see a square silver reflector over the red tail lights which, in essence, hide the red unless the bulb is on. I must agree with John that this is an excellent safety feature in that nothing appears red unless they're lit up.

The LED brake cluster (top of the assembly) is also hidden, using mirrors to reflect light from hidden LED's. It appears to be a black strip until the LED's light up.

I only wish they'd have done the same thing with the ambers, but only in the interest of consistency.

I'll admit, the styling does take some getting used to, though.
  • I've Pioneer ordered a BC packaged Prius. I've also driven one, and experienced a few others up close. I think my only "wish" - and I know that many of us are pining for this - is a clear means of adding an MP3 Player or implementing some sort of AUX-IN for any sort of portable player other than resorting to an RF or Cassette adapter. I feel that car with this much technology should have some openness in this regard. A method that is compatible with the AVC-LAN (network which controls the stereo and NAV components), whether built-in to the head unit or via external module, would be even better so as we could select this input via the touch screen. Anyone have any suggestions on how to implement this? Does Toyota have any plans for this in the future to satisfy us geeks who love music? A method that works with both base and Premium audio systems would be most desirable.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    what happens with the battery pack after it expires? isn't it considered hazardous waste?
    i did search on this discussion to see if it had been addressed, but didn't see what i considered to be an answer.
  • which battery?

the 12v battery is the traditional lead-acid type
    found on the vast majority of cars. Lead, being a
    heavy metal, is rather dangerous and must be
    properly disposed of.

The NiMH (nickel metal hydride) traction battery
    is rather benign compared to the 12v lead-acid
    battery found in every car. The NiMH battery is
    also easily recyclable. (that, and you can replace
    just the bad cells in the battery, and not the
    whole pack...) Toyota lists the lifespan of the
    NiMH battery as the lifespan of the car.

things like the gasoline, motor oil, antifreeze,
    and the mecury in the LCD display and HID lamps
    are far more hazardous than the NiMH hybrid
    battery.
  • Michelle, since you had driven the '04 Prius recently, what are your thoughts, if any, on the driver's seat? My wife is 5'3" so she normaly adjust the seat height when driving our current car and suv. Does the Prius have height adjustments? When the brochure say 4 way adjustable seats, I would think that 2 of those 4 are the seat back.
  • Are there anyone out there on this board that is from the Dallas (TX) area and will be taking the first delivery (Pioneers) soon?
  • pb17pb17 Posts: 33
    Don't try to confuse me with facts. I've got my mind made up!
  • dupiedupie Posts: 22
    Hi all:
           The dealer called to day and our Peius has just arrived, correct color Salsa Red with all the options we wanted, thank you Toyota.
    The dealer said that the car will be ready for pickup at 1:00 P.M. tomorrow, I think this is going to be a restless night for sleeping.
    Lets hear from all you other new Prius owners who received you cars on the first days release in Minnesota. One happy retired old man, Ya ho. By the way I live in the northern suburbs of Minneapolis.
    dupie61
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Posts: 172
    For me, personally, it's Prius vs. Camry. The only area I wonder about, where Camry seems to have an advantage, is crashworthiness. On the plus side, both have all the airbags (including head curtain) available. And obviously, we won't know how the two will compare for sure until the crash test ratings come out on the Prius. But that means it's decision-making under uncertainty here. With the Camry we know it has excellent front and front-offset crash tests; and while the side "star rating" is only 3, that's without the side/head airbags; besides, that particular test is conducted in an dubious way (not like the real world collision). Anyway, I know the Camry is good, and don't know with the Prius.
    Also, the Camry weighs a few hundred pounds more than a Prius; in a head-on between the two, that would give at least some advantage to Camry by itself.
    Finally, the Camry has the highest "profile"-- that high hood. That by itself makes me feel I'd rather be in it in a collision with an SUV -- I figure it'd be more likely to protect me.
    I'd be happy if someone can convince me I'm wrong about this. Please try. I'd rather want the Prius.
    [The Prius clearly has certain advantages: mileage (obviously), technology/dollar, theft - Camry is most-stolen vehicle, nobody will steal or be able to steal a Prius - and as for comfort, handling, etc., will be testable by test-driving.]
    Thanks.
  • xcelxcel Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___I cross posted this over in the Priusonline forum yesterday as well so hopefully more will see it. Please post the results when available if you find the time given the new car and all ... thank you.

04 Prius maximum mileage ...

___With the 01-03 Prius, Insight’s, Civic Hybrid’s, and just about anything else, many can beat the EPA hwy estimates with a number of changes to their driving habits (feathering a cruise or accelerator by decelerating and then accelerating while climbing, cresting, and descending hills, lowering hwy speeds, slow accelerations from lights and signs for the ICE or fast with Assist from the Hybrid’s, timing lights and toll gates, keeping momentum up even in bumper to bumper with a buffer, surf or straight drafts) as well as a few HW tricks like 44 to 50#’s in the tires depending on type and maximum inflations? Anyway, since some of you may be driving your own 04 Prius’ tomorrow, please keep us informed of your own experiences as to mileage maximums on the hwy in particular. It would be great to hear first tanks vs. tenth tanks as you learn to drive the Prius to its maximums as well as after a few thousand when your break-in is truly over.

___Good Luck and Thanks in advance.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    ___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
  • ragueroraguero Posts: 60
    For anyone interested, there is a great article in the Los Angeles Times today on the Prius.
    Poor Detroit carmakers...they say a mid-size, safe and well appointed four door with practical performance and 60 mpg can not be built and sold for $20,000. Yeah, right!

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-prius- 15oct15,0,7228836.story?coll=la-class-autos-highway1
  • didn't really pay much attention.

the seat moves forward and back from the steering
    wheel.

the seat back folds back and straight up.

the headrest moves up and down.

as I'm 5'2", I didn't notice any problems with
    view. but, I don't know how your wife is built
    compared to me (longer/shorter legs vs. torso vs. neck...),
    then I don't know how things will work for your
    wife. a few over 6' tall people also got to sit in
    the car, and they didn't report any problems...

demo/TRAC 2004s have already arrived at dealerships.
    some people have taken delivery already. call
    around, you might be able to get a test drive!
  • reports are coming in of people walking into
    dealerships, and being able to walk out with a
    2004, and they're not Pioneer orders.

some 2004s have been reported on dealer lots with
    huge over MSRP markups on them already.

meanwhile, most of us Pioneer order people still
    don't have our car, and some of us don't even
    know when it'll come in...

weren't the Pioneer orders supposed to be filled
    first? why can people walk into a dealership,
    never having placed an order, and get a car?
    You are correct--you are making a decision without complete facts, since the crash tests of the '04 Prius aren't available. Have you considered waiting until the Prius' crash test scores are available?

Some comments on your points:

* A couple of hundred pounds of extra weight in the Camry will only make a difference if it was used effectively to increase crash-worthiness. You don't know if this is the case. Consider: Camry got worse NHTSA crash test scores than some vehicles that weigh several hundred pounds less (although you are not supposed to compare frontal collision scores of vehicles that have a weight difference of more than a couple of hundred pounds). But it is telling IMO that Camry got worse side impact crash test scores than many smaller, lighter cars. So some extra weight doesn't automatically translate into superior crash-worthiness.

* I think you have a good point on the frontal profile of the Prius and what would happen if it hits a tall vehicle like an SUV. I can envision the sharp, short prow of the Prius sliding under the SUV, moreso than the taller front end of the Camry. There is a move afoot in Europe to force automakers to raise the hoodlines of cars--but I think it had more to do with helping pedestrians survive collisions with cars than the danger you cited. This risk would not stop me from buying a Prius, however. Assuming the Prius' crash test scores are good, I am willing to depend on that plus the braking power of the Prius (which I understand is quite good) and good defensive driving skills to keep me alive. There will always be vehicles out there taller than the front end of a Prius, or a Camry. If this issue bothers you that much, you might sleep better with the Camry--or maybe with a Hummer.
    Thanks very much for the info, but some of us (like me) in the hinterlands won't get to drive a Prius for another month or so, so I'd appreciate any info on front and rear seating position, as I requested back at #665.
  • "reports are coming in of people walking into
    dealerships, and being able to walk out with a
    2004, and they're not Pioneer orders.

some 2004s have been reported on dealer lots with
    huge over MSRP markups on them already."

"why can people walk into a dealership, never having placed an order, and get a car?"

I think you just answered your own question. Dealers, in general, profess it till they are blue in the face that they do not profit much from the sales of a car, therefore, they are doing what any good business would do. Capitalize on the supply when there is an outrageously huge demand.

J
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    It really comes down to taste and what you're looking for image wise in a Toyota. A Prius says that you're environmentally conscious, a Camry says that you prefer to be invisible to the public.
  • Toyota sent out special invitations to previous Internet-ordered Prius owners, so specially pre-order a 2004 Prius. These orders were called Pioneer orders. The Pioneer orders were through the internet ordering system, revived for the 2004 Pioneers... available only for about a month in July.

Word was that the Pioneer orders were supposed to be filled before regular allocation cars.

Now, some dealerships that don't have any Pioneer orders, nor a TRAC program, are getting 2004s, and selling it to people off the street. Those are cars that could have (and should have) gone to waiting Pioneer orders (or non-Pioneers that also have been waiting as long...).

Seems like the Toyota allocation system is screwed up, sending cars to the wrong dealers, and is really peeving off the Pioneer orders.

(Pioneer ordered in July, car won't be in until Nov., yet someone who just walked into a dealership to look around can pick up a car that I have on order? doesn't make sense.)

the only good thing about the preorder process is that the car is MSRP or less.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A major magazine is looking to interview someone who bought the previous generation Prius looking to save a few bucks at the pump. He'd prefer if this was not an environmental activist, but just a typical daily commuter. Please respond by October 22 to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A major magazine is looking to interview someone who is planning to buy the new Prius, which is bigger and more powerful than the old model, but actually gets better mileage. (In fact, the new one is the size of a Camry). Ideally, this person has already put down a deposit or put their name on a waiting list at a Toyota dealership. Please respond by October 22 to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews