Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,852
    future hybrid buyers

You are a prime candidate to sell your Prius then get on the list for another one. You may be able to upgrade to the top model without spending anymore money...
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Posts: 560
    AM I?.............MIGHT I? I must be getting wealthy from all the $$$$$$ I save on fuel!!

See what yer missing?

I got a lot of responsability spreading the word about the little green car that could. Chooo Chooo!

Remember....Just like the lady pumping premium gas into a 38 gallon tank on her Hummer, I had to explain that there was no plug and all it took to fill-up was $13.00 and change. Remember...When I left she was still pumping @ $74.00.
    Remember?
    Railroadjames(free-us Prius)
  • wmedwmed Posts: 2
    Was your Prius able to pull the long/steep grades from Bishop up to around Lee Vining without exhausting the battery and having to slow down?

Anyone else have input on pulling long, steep grades?
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I don't know if this counts, since it wasn't my car, but my sister who owns a Prius came to visit me. She had no problems driving up the Grapevine from Bakersfield to Lebec/Frazier Park, then higher to our mountain home.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Posts: 157
    wmed,
    Hi ! Driving up Hwy 395 was no problem for speed. The batt pack did drop into a "purple" mode, which I've never seen before. As soon as I got back to the downhill/flat roadways it perked right back up. A couple of times I "maxed out" the green batt indicator. I've gone over Donner Pass (I-80 back and forth to Reno) at 7227 ft without a hitch.
  • wmedwmed Posts: 2
    Thanks. The ability to handle grades like those was my last unknown in deciding whether or not I'd be happy with a Prius.
    Welcome to the forum. A couple things. Your link to TCC did not work. Most of the readers on here watch all these threads so it is not necessary to use multiple posts. Have you had any trouble with your Prius? Keep us posted on how well you like the car.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
    OUCH! I backed out of a parking stall and just put it in drive when another car backed out of his stall (across from me) before I could get out of the way. The result....pushed in my left rear pass door and scraped up the side back to the taillight. No injuries, just that sickening "thud" when metal meets metal. We have the same insurance company. One body shop (my shop choice) says they'll have to replace the "skin" that makes up the outside of the back door, remove the rear triangle window, top trim (to eliminate "tape shadow" ) and remove the driver's door to get both doors to match paint exactly. They're talking 7 days to do the job. I am getting another estimate tomorrow (their shop choice) so let's see how it goes. I'm qualified for a free rental car....but it probably won't get 47 mpg!!
    I'll keep you posted on how repainting goes and if it looks original. I told my shop choice I want genuine Toyota parts. My belief is whenever you try to rebuild or repaint a panel or joint, it's never the same again.
    Wish me luck,
    Rich
    Rich,
    Now is your chance to get a Salsa Red Prius. It would be best to paint the whole car to get a perfect match. Good luck, that is no way to spend the weekend....
  • ragueroraguero Posts: 60
    The only time I've ever done a climb like that is when we drive up to Big Bear from LA. We gop skiing up there a couple of times a season. The energy does get all used up and I end up running on the ICE for a little bit. It slowed some but still kept up with most the traffic going up the mountain. (Except of course for those crazies who live up, know all the turns and drive their 8 cyl. gas guzzlers).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Are you considering buying a Prius but turned off by the idea of the software glitches reported at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef64fbc/0? If you are reconsidering your place on the waiting list or other efforts to shop for a Prius, and are willing to share your perspective with a journalist, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 20, 2005 with your daytime contact information and city/state of residence.
    Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• solar_dadsolar_dad Posts: 22
    FYI - Here's a link to the add-in button to allow EV-only operation. Has anyone had the courage to try it yet? Is there any way for Toyota to know you've installed it (warranty issues) or can you just remove the evidence at service time?

This sounds really tempting for some of my 1-2 mile runs to the store, etc.

Mike

http://www.coastaletech.com/electric_only_mode.htm
  • lenunbiasedlenunbiased Posts: 13
    Am I missing something in the mediot stories about people flipping their new Priuses within weeks for an extra $1000?

What about the transaction costs, namely the taxes!? I think sales tax on a car in socal is 8.25%, plus title. That's $2300 on a $28,000 car.
  • lenunbiasedlenunbiased Posts: 13
    I finally test drove a Prius last weekend (blue, #6). I was prepared to buy the car assuming the drive went well, and given the incredible love for the car on this and other boards, I was sure that it would. It didn't!

I'm 6'3" and all legs, so I often have leg room problems in smaller cars (except hondas and acuras which have nice looooong tracks for the driver's seat), but i've never had the kind of fit problems like I had in the Prius. The driving position was impossible for me; it felt like I was sitting in a bumper car with my knees totally splayed around the wheel. This of course meant that I didn't get any thigh support, not that the too short seat would have provided much anyway.

What was particularly disappointing was that with the driver's seat all the way back, there was still a ton of leg room in the backseat behind me. In other words, if toyota had just made the track longer on the driver's seat, I would have been able to fit.

Then I tried the back seat, and my head hit the roof of the car! I've never experienced that in any car (like I say, I'm basically all legs so headroom is never a problem). That's obviously an incredibly dangerous situation, so even if I'd fit in the front I don't think I would have bought the car.

I don't really understand who's buying this car, given that I'm not so unusually tall.

Anyone know the demographics of Prius buyers? Perhaps they're mostly women, who are more likely to fit?

As for the drive performance, I thought it was okay, just about at my relatively low expectations. The engine was pretty peppy and the handling was fine.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next hybrid...
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    You have a good point. I ordered a 2004 Prius and waited nine months for it. I had to buy another car before it arrived, so when it finally came I offered it for sale for MSRP + the sales taxes I paid. (I would make a little on discounts I had received from the dealer and Toyota.) This was for a silver Prius with no miles (or whatever it would come off the truck with). I had some interest but no offers. This was in July 2004, when waiting lists were longer than they are today.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    FWIW, I'm 5'9.5", 32" inseam, and my hair brushes the roof in back also. The back isn't made for tall people, but then I don't know any fastback-style cars that have good headroom in back. Short adults and kids would be fine. Maybe that's the demographic--singles or couples or families with 1-2 young children. There's a lot of those kind of buyers around.

Since you like the seats in Hondas, you might try the Accord Hybrid or even the Civic Hybrid.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    After a very short sit in a new Prius while waiting for my new Highlander to be detailed for delivery, it seemed to me that the driver's seat doesn't go back far enough for me either, and I am only 6 ft. I am not like most drivers, I guess, as I DO like to sit so my arms and legs can extend, and consequently have passed on several cars over the years due to driver's seats that don't provide me my desired "fit" (even when it seems there is sufficient room for the track to go back further.)

In thinking about why the manufacturers might do this, I wonder if there is a seat to shoulder belt fitmet issue, dictated by "B" pillar placement.

Edit/addition...When I have the driver's seat in our (now my daughter's) 2003 Camry where I liked it, I found the driver's door armrest too far forward for me to use.....
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    I've noticed that too. Interesting is that there is tons of headroom in the Prius. There is definitely more room to make the seat go back and I don't know why they designed it that way. I've heard the hybrid accord (or reg accord) is even tighter. One thing that is nice is that there is no center console to bump your leg against.
  • mamatoadmamatoad Posts: 2
    I was hot into the car-buying market about 2-3 months ago and was seriously looking at a Prius. HOWEVER, when I found out what kind of so called "deal" I was going to get, I backed off and doubt that I would EVER buy a Prius or even a Toyota ever.

Interesting....if I bought a Prius, the trade in on my current vehicle (2004) would be $3000 LESS than if I traded it in on any other car in the lot. This is NOT an assumption - its what the salesman point blank told me. I have to attest to the salesman's honesty, but if this is the way Toyota does business, it will never be a car that I would bother to own. Somehow is THIS the way Toyota and their dealerships get THEIR tax breaks?

An angry would-be buyer.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    Just keep in mind that this is the attitude of the particular dealer that you were at. I know that wouldn't be the case at all dealers by far. So far, on Prius' and HH's it is just like purchasing a Saturn in that at most dealers there isn't any negitiation off of the MSRP, but they also aren't selling for more than MSRP (ADM stickers). Please don't assume that the bad practices of one or a few dealers means that that is how Toyota dealers work with their customers as a whole or that Toyota condones such conduct by dealers either. I would check out another local dealer and see if there is a difference in attitude before making a decision about the product or dealer network as a whole. Just my $.02

Ken