Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• I was wondering if anyone living in an area such as me (Boulder, Colorado) has any experience with how well the Prius performs going up hills? I drove it around town, and am waiting to test drive again next week. I love the car. My only concern is at our altitude, and with our hills, will the car slow considerably going up hill.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    The classic Prius proved altitude changes were no big deal. It climbed up mountains, in your area in fact, without any trouble. And it had a blast going down them. All that recharging is sweet!

So now with the more powerful new Prius, the issue is dead. Not only can it handle the climb, it can likely show off a bit now too.

JOHN
  • 1) Anyone out there ever try to use a Motorola Timeport 270C (bluetooth capable) in a Prius? Neither Motorola nor Toyota seem capable of telling me whether it will work or not. 2) Any ideas if this information is available anywhere?
  • I had no problem zipping up to the ski basin at 10,000 from Santa Fe at 7,000. I am sure there are faster cars, but they wouldn't have done much good going around the curves.
  • msbusch: I test drove the Prius from the Indiana exit on US 6 to I-70 up to Lookout Mountain exit in Colorado. It actually did very well. Reached 65 mph fairly quickly once on US 6 and, midnightcowboy, I passed an 18 wheeler with ease. For those not familiar with the area, this is a steep upward climb in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains at ~7000 feet elevation. My only regret is that on the return we took the windy frontage road as my husband wanted to check out how it handled on a curvey road. At the time I didn't know what the "B" position was for (the salesperson thought it stood for battery) so I didn't get to try that out. My impressions were that it didn't have as much pickup during acceleration going uphill as the 5 speed Accord which I drove on the same road. I also drove the Camry (automatic) on this same stretch of road and I think the Prius performed about the same as the Camry did. We were set to buy a Honda Accord before this test drive. After the test drive, my husband said to get the Prius.
    We are suppose to pick it up Dec 26.
    > Going up mountain hills is still a struggle

Haven't you been warned about being so extraordinarily VAGUE ?

That comment is completely void of any constructive content. Detail please. For all we now, you could have been trying to literally climb a mountain, which would obviously be harder than a road on a mountain.

JOHN
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Yesh, every time wife and I get back to the east coast or midwest we often laugh about what they call mountains.
    > Mountain

I didn't see any numerical data whatsoever. SPEED, DISTANCE, GRADE, ROAD TYPE, and LOAD were not mentioned. Those factors all make a huge difference. Omitting them entirely is vague.

> You are the one who cited 10 dB at highway speed

NEVER did I claim that! The reference was about city type driving. How it became highway is still a mystery.

Lastly, attempts to discredit a person by excluding exact quotes and inferring meaning is not constructive in any way, shape, or form. So I refuse to acknowledge any of them.

JOHN
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    I suppose the east coast is really not mountain country but I have been on some very steep climbs without a problem. On route 84 at the NY PA boarder there is a steep climb from near sea level to 1300 feet above sea level. All 18 wheelers are in the right lane trying to attain 35-40 at best. I zipped up at 80 MPH with NO problems. Anyone that comments otherwise either hasn't driven the Prius or doesn't know what they're talking about.
    Are you sure the electrics weren't "supercharging" the ICE to maintain 80MPH and when they run down on a longer climb, more typical to the west, you're left with the ICE only?
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    The Prius does not have to rely on the electric motor to maintain a climb at 80 MPH. I've kept the engine display monitor on and there is NEVER a depletion of battery power below 3/4. I've read numerous stories of praise by west coasters who have driven in the Rockies without any problems. This vehicle continues to amaze me!
    Depends on who'is defining the climb. I haven't tried it, but I would bet that our 03 Prius can't reach the top of snoqualmie pass on I90 from the west at even 65MPH, on cruise to be most fair, without the electrics. Furthermore I'd bet the batteries would go offline before reaching the top at 80MPH. The latter bet I'd even take on in an 04 Prius.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,695
    Why don't you rent a '04 Prius or take one for a test drive to the top of Snoqualmie pass to test your hypothesis, and let us know the results?
    > without the electrics

What the heck does that mean?

Electricity is produced 100% of the time the engine is providing thrust. There is no way to not have electrical activity.

In fact, the battery-pack is not even necessary to use the propulsion-motor. The engine normally feeds it directly anyway.

JOHN
    Gas = ICE //electrics = electric motor.

The power lines outside your home always have power available but do you always use it??

And...

In the Prius there are two "propulsion" motors, one gas and one electric.

And I rather doubt if you are correct about the ICE's generator driving the electric motor directly.
    Aren't there two electric motors in the Prius' HSD? And doesn't the secondary electric motor sometimes add to the HSD's output (and sometimes act as a generator)?
  • Picked up my Salsa Red Pearl Prius. Greatly pleased with the color. Drove home, some 26 miles, and the Malfunction Warning light came on. Called the dealership. Service had already closed. The salesman stated they have had some where the "coating" on the catalytic converted doesn't get hot enough to burn off, fouls the Oxygen sensor, and thus the light. I will take it in Monday, however, wonder if anyone has any thoughts as to the possible explanation.
    There was a thread somewhere on the Edmunds boards (can't find it now) about a problem that sounds like the one you are having. It seems that for the other owners who posted, driving on the highway for about 30 minutes burned off the coating and all was well.
    > And I rather doubt if you are correct about the ICE's
    > generator driving the electric motor directly.

No wonder you've been adversarial, you have a misunderstanding about how HSD works.

Take a look at the Multi-Display videos available on my website. You will very clearly see how the gasoline engine feeds the electric motor directly. This is NOT a topic of debate; it is a very very very well documented fact.

THAT'S WHY THE BATTERY-PACK LASTS SO LONG! It doesn't get used much when the engine is running.

Do some research. You'll discover that Toyota's design actually CANNOT send 100% of the thrust from engine directly to the wheels, even if it wanted to. And with a ridiculously powerful electric 50kW motor (capable of 295 lb-ft of torque) why wouldn't you want to take advantage of the electric abilities?

Your strange use of the term "electrics" is misleading at best, mostly just confusing.

50kW MOTOR is the big sucker. This is the one used for electric propulsion and for brake-regeneration.

10kW MOTOR is the little guy. It's the generator that produces electricity via the engine and non-braking kinetic energy opportunities.

PLANETARY-CVT is what bonds those 2 motors together combined with the engine to create both thrust & electricity while offering regeneration as well.

That is how the "FULL" hybrid design in HSD works.

The design in "ASSIST" hybrids is significantly different. With them, there is only 1 motor. So the creation & consumption of electricity can't happen simultaneously like it can in a "FULL" hybrid.

JOHN
  • I pre-ordered from Toyota of Nashua (N.H.) in October. They had no problem showing me the list as to how many were ahead of me. One week ago they called to say my exact color and package (BC)was in their allocation. I picked up a Salsa Red Pearl yesterday. The price was MSRP, as in the original pre-order. The car came with carpet floor mats, cargo net, and first aid kit, listed for $262 more. They included that in the original agreed upon price. All in all, it was a pleasant experience.
  • oldfoxoldfox Posts: 29
    Loconetter: Yes the Salsa Red is quite nice isn't it? I got mine on the 15th and have had a ball since. My Check Engine/MWL came on at about 30 miles but went off again after 15 miles.
    Have read the posts and it seems two things can cause this. (1) Loose gas cap. (2) Coating on Catalytic Converter needs to burn off and while it does the fumes produced trip the warning light. After about a hundred miles the light should go off. If not check Johns page for a proceedure to burn the coating off in a hurry (Get up to speed 65mph hold for a minute drop down to 45 back up etc. not a very complicated procedure but doubt you will even need it. Just enjoy the car for a while and all will be OK.
  • Along with the Mazda RX8 and Cadillac XLR, the Prius is a finalist for AutoWeek (another horsepower/torque enthusiast's rag) North American Car of the Year.

The decision will be announced at the NAIAS in Detroit on Jan. 4. Good luck, Prius!!
  • Thanks to backy and oldfox. I went over 100 miles, stopped to complete an errand. After getting back on the road, no more Engine Malfunction light! BTW, has anyone figured out what is needed to use the Homelink to turn on interior house lights? And if so, how to program it? The manual says contact your dealer. They had no idea.
  • I originally posted the message about oil in exhaust system. My light came on after driving 140 miles on I-29 at 70 mph. Car had about 400 miles on odo. Upon returning home, light still on after the return trip of 140 miles at 70 mph. Dealer called California and was told cars exhaust system are coated with oil before loading on boat. Suggestion was to burn it off. Someway they got the light off. It happened again a week later but soon the light came off by itself. Now have 1100 miles on odo and light has not come on. I had Homelink on my Avalon and programed garage door opener and a light in house. You have to get a homelink module-Lowes have them - and plug the light into the module and of course, program the module to the car, similar to the way you programed the garage door opener.
  • ...Ok, I have done everything I can think off to keep the rear area of my Salsa Prius from rattling and annoying the heck out of me. I check around the floor board of the "secret compartment" added some felt strips to dampend any noise. Did the same for all the plastic trim pieces around the rear hatch door. Checked and added felt strips around the notch for the retractable toneau cover. Checked all the tools and prop stick in the secret compartment. Checked the rear license plate frame and license plate too...and I am still getting this anoying rattling when I drive on semi rough concrete roads. Most pronounce when I drive across groves that devide sections of concrete. The sound is like plastic hitting against plastic or plastic against metal. Has anyone else has/had the same problem?? How was it resolved?? My only other guess is the rear window wipers...
  • I just got back from a trip from Fresno to King City , Ca. yes there where some hills , I went 330 miles ,and it took 6.52 gal, thats 50.6 Mpg. I drove from 55 to 70 Mph . I have now 2300 mile on the 04 Prius, and a lifetime Mpg of 47.2, that very good for a mid size car!!!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    nice to hear you had a nice buying experience. Some other people aren't as lucky as you to get a nice dealer who always did what they promised.
  • I had an excess pair of expensive genuine sheepskip seat covers. After talking to the Service Manager, he suggested cutting out the side bolster cover from top to bottom so as to not interfere with side airbags. I have done that but had to add a couple of additional ties. Also had to cut out a small section on bottom , driver's seat, to allow access to the seat reclining knob. Also on passenger side. They fit fine and I am happy with my installation. It does take a little work to feed the rubber ties under the seat but, it works fine and saves the seat covers for use instead of throwing them away.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Posts: 157
    Thank you revnkevin for the update on Prius mileage. Are the Priuses required to undergo the same smog testing/frequency as other California autos? I'm still tossed whether to go with the tried and true Camry, rock steady Corolla or take a gamble on a Prius. Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions.

Rich (Happy holidays Sylvia and everyone!!!)
  • I picked up my Driftwood Pearl #9 Friday the 19th. It had 4 miles on it and I drove aprx. 10 before receiving a check engine light. I called the salesman to report it but based on the previous threads I wasn't too worried since the car was running fine. Drove a total of about 60 highway miles on an errand the following day. The light was off the next time I started the vehicle.

Now I don't have to envy all of you anymore! Ha! This car is the most fun I've had commuting for a long time.