Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___It appears that there is quite a bit of misunderstanding in regards to the Corolla discussion here … A rather loaded up 03 Corolla LE w/ Auto (Power everything, 4 wheel ABS and EBD, Cold weather package, and cruise) cost me $15,200 incl. destination + TTL before there were any rebates. The 04’s were about $500 less with rebates and the 05’s are ~ the same as my 03 when similarly equipped including the $400 rebate in my locale. Add the Side Air, F&R Curtains, VSC, and TRAC, you are at ~ $16,230 including dest. at $150 over here in Illinois. This is fully optioned out except for the alloys, sun roof, leather, and upgraded stereo system.

___As for ride and handling, the Prius II uses mostly Echo and Corolla suspension and underpinnings. The Prius II does not include the Camry’s 4 wheel independent nor does it include 4 wheel discs. And quality? Both are Toyota’s after all? Unfortunately for both, the Prius II and Corolla supposedly use the same too short front seats :(

___As for mileage and such, I have taken the Corolla back and forth to work this week for the first time this year and am sitting at 565.3 miles with ~ 1/3 of a tank still left. I should easily hit 700 miles and maybe 50 + mpg from her. This is not in the cards for most but at least EPA estimates are quite easily obtained for a Corolla driver whereas the Prius II driver has a few more hurdles to leap to meet EPA estimates …

___Some have mentioned diesel fuel economy … the Euro spec’ed Urban and Extra Urban mileage estimates posted on the European automobile manufacturer websites are ~ 10 - 20% more generous then the US’ EPA as that is how they test them so make sure you take that into account. The Euro diesels offer some great mileage in any case however.

___And the NAV … If anyone has done research, they would find the maps and capabilities of the PDA based solutions (Mapopolis on an iPAQ 2215 w/ an i.Trek is what I use) exceed that of the in car systems in many regards. The least being the years out of date Navtech’s that are included with most OEM’s vs. the 3 month old Navtech maps I use and the fact that Toyota/Lexus does the NAV screen disable dance while moving.

___Sorry to all if I went to far OT from the original creator’s intent.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    From Wayne's very concise report on the Corolla I am left a bit confused about the much touted NAV in the Prius II. I guess I just assumed you could pop in a CD or DVD Rom, to get the latest maps. Is that not true?
    Hi Gagrice:

___It is a common but nasty little secret that the OEM’s distribute years out of date maps and POI’s in their latest releases. I don’t know exactly how old the Navtech’s in the Prius II are but I know they are at least 1 year out of date given the release date of the automobile and the last major Navtech update time frame. Upgrade discs can be purchased for $150 on up but even those can be as much as 2 years out of date! That being said, you can only update at the whim of the manufacturer. Those with Honda/Acura based NAVI’s have been screwed over for the last 4 years and it is only a matter of time before the manufacturer of the system (Pioneer and Alpine are the major players I believe) as well as the automobile manufacturer stop supporting the updates for a particular automobile as the included built in NAVI tech falls by the way side. Single sided DVD’s in the case of the first Acura systems should provide you with an idea as to how bad it can get in short order … PDA based solutions have their issues as well but upgradeability, extremely low costs, and custom personalized programming is not included in the issues I have experienced.

___Anyway, before anyone purchases an OEM NAVI in anything, I would highly suggest that they visit a more searchable forum about the target automobile just in case the built in NAVI isn’t the right option for them. Built in OEM NAVI systems look nice and work quite well in many instances but just make sure you have your eyes wide open before purchase is all …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    Very interesting. Sounds to me like a person would be way ahead to buy a laptop with Garmin software and GPS. Those upgrades are not too much, and you have a full fledged computer to download your wireless email while cruising 80 mph down the Interstate. Kidding of course. I did not realize how locked in you were with those devices. I get free maps from AAA. They are always up to date. NAV just another add-on to get people to part with their hard earned bucks.
    Hi Gagrice:

___I am definitely not saying a built in NAVI system like that available for Prius purchasers is a bad thing in the least. A built in OEM NAVI is not only seamless, it can and does do more then many packages available in other formats whether that is PDA, laptop, or PC based. That being said, all I am mentioning is that there are alternatives that can prove to be far more advanced and prove to be far more useful as time goes on then a very expensive built in OEM NAVI solution no matter the automobile it is installed into. Laptops in an automobile using Garmin HW/SW is not that advanced either imho. Might I suggest you read up on some of the various choices available to you over at GPSpassion.com? There are quite a few and they are getting better all the time ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
       I've been reading several acticles about Prius modifications from the website: www.vfaq.net/
       They talk about several changes and modifications to make your Prius more versatile. BEWARE: SOME CHANGES/MODIFICATIONS MAY VIOLATE THE WARRANTY !!! But the reading was very interesting to see what others have done. Take a look at it. Something to consider for later.
       I asked my local dealer if they offered any Prius merchandise, he said only key fobs. Someone ought to make baseball caps at least!
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Garmin 2610 GPS is great! full system(color touch CRT speaker, 12 volt plug, USB2 conncetor, charger, beanbag mount, 128meg memory ) for a little less than $800 poratable can move from car to car. Maps are MapSource and are upgrade about every 12-18 months;current cost is $155 and includes detail maps of ALL major cities.
    It is my understnading the Multidispaly screen on the Prius hypmotizes its owners and modifies them to model drivers.

They no longer accelerate fast, they no longer go over 65 mph, they look at the display and try to get the highest mileage.

It (the Prius) has gone so far modify one driver's behaviour o that he would drive a maximum speed of 35 mph to achieve 85 miles per gallon after TEN(10) days of continious driving. It is rumored he was a former EPA mileage circuit designer.

Be careful or the Prius will turn you also into a Stepford driver!!

YMMV,

MidCow
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    You're killin me!

Might be one explanation why I always seem to be passing Prius drivers!! :)

Hmmmmmm hynotic cult like behavior!?

Well at least they are trying to use turn signals when changing lanes and actually turning?? :) (NAH)
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Prius too good to be true, thats what I'm afraid of !
  • ron1ron1 Member Posts: 4
    Ok, after a 7 month wait I am told MY Prius is in port and will be at the dealership in a few days (#9)

So here's my question - after waiting this long, any value to wait for the 05's? Has anyone heard of any major additiions, upgrades, such as leather? or other items?
    ron
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Just saw that movie. Very cute!! Used my NAV to get to the theater.
    Cancel your order and get the Corolla. This year it has stability control. It is an excellent value and will save you thousands over a Prius.
    Hmm... that's funny... I seem to constantly pass diesel drivers. LOL!!
    The NAV works fabulous but the data is the problem in some areas. If you mark a waypoint it easily navigates to it. What to do? Update your NAV. My dealer in PA is doing mine gratis once it becomes available. Interestingly enough, I have a Garmin 2610 which is a fantastic unit. Only problem is that it mounts with a beanbag and could be lethal in an accident. I actually like the Garmin better than the Prius NAV.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    However, if you want a car with the room and comfort of the Prius, I was informed by my Toyota sales rep the other day that he has heard of no changes forthcoming for the '05 Prius, and he has heard no announcements about availability. Now, some car sales reps don't know their right hand from their left hand, but this guy has impressed me with his detailed knowledge of the Toyota lineup and hybrid technology (he's an engineer by training) so I trust what he says more than I would the typical sales rep.

I got unlucky again tonight and was handed a '04 Corolla LE for a rental. One of the most uncomfortable driving positions in a modern car, at least for many people like me of average height. The Prius, on the other hand, fits me and the other drivers in my family just fine. If you go with a Corolla, take it for a LONG test drive before you buy (you and all other drivers of the car). But then that's a good idea with any car, including the Prius.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    A Prius and Corolla aren't even in the same league but we've been down that road, what has chained between the '04 and '05 Prius ?
  • oldboyoldboy Member Posts: 59
    I would certainly take the Prius. Frankly I can't imagine why you would want to pass it up after waiting seven months for it. There was a price increase about three months ago, $300 I believe, but for those already on a dealer waiting list like you, you are supposed to get the car at the old price. Given the current high demand for the Prius, you could probably try it out for a month or so. Then if you decide it's not for you, sell it for more than you paid! Not many cars around that you could do that with.
  • prius4meusprius4meus Member Posts: 22
    "Cancel your order and get the Corolla. This year it has stability control. It is an excellent value and will save you thousands over a Prius."

Yes, yes, yes. Please! Where do you live? I'm looking to trade in my Corolla now just about 9000 miles into my 2004 Prius!

Seriously, I'm curious: How many of you out there OWN (not test drive) a Corolla and a 2004 Prius? I like them both for different reasons but for anyone who owns both, there is simply NO comparison in my opinion.
    The price.
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    Results

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=6&- amp;id2=193

Article

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/industry/2004/3488.asp

"The Prius's points score for overall passenger protection equals the best ever recorded in the class, and its child protection score tops the whole Euro NCAP points table."

They tested with Side Air Bags
    You can get the stick-on tape mounts instead of the beanbag mount. They work pretty good also.
  • kalmikeykalmikey Member Posts: 17
    After all my whining about the wait-list -- which I have to admit I still think is obscene, but more in a minute -- I found a dealer in the Sin Twitties who actually has a test-drive vehicle available (would you believe that many don't!), and also had a 100% refundable-anytime deposit policy. And after my test drive, I did, in fact, place an order.

Why, after all my outrage? Because I analysed my wants vs. my needs. I want it right now. I don't need it right now. Therefore, the operative term in that equation is simply: I want it. I like the technology, I like the handling, and believe it or not, I like the looks. And after test driving it, that was firmly cemented.

If anyone actually cares, my full ramble about the experience is at http://belmikey.livejournal.com/96512.html
    Can it be a Toyota Prius with all the options sells for nearly $40k? maybe I don't need all those fancy electronics after all....I am sure those packages overlap, why does it allow me to check them all? A bug in the system I am sure..
  • bobbrown1bobbrown1 Member Posts: 22
    I am very interested in the comparison of oem nav versus aftermarket.
    One nice feature of the factory nav in my 04 Prius is that when there is a loss of satellite signal, such as when in the Lincoln Tunnel,
    the cars computer uses the odometer and steering inputs to show a continuous position which is then recalibrated when reception returns.
    It is usually amazingly accurate--sort of what inertial navigation is on an airliner!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Just a heads up from housekeeping - the recent posts about the Corolla and Elantra were moved to a new discussion "Toyota Prius V. ??? (fill in the comparison)"

Please keep any/all comparisons in the comparison topics. This discussion is about the Prius - features, driving experiences, mechanical issues, etc.

Many thanks.
    If you ever visit the Big Island of Hawaii try and rent a Prius. I've been reading about a gentleman who purchased his Prius in Honolulu and had it shipped to the Big Island. He absolutely LOVES the car and is getting close to 53 MPG average. Hawaii is a perfect place for the Prius. You rarely see speeds in excess of 60-65. Most of the outer islands have single lane roads where the traffic averages 40-50 with few traffic lights. Personally I'd LOVE to rent one on Maui and go up to Haleakala crater and coast down. All the excess electric can probably light up Lahaina for a few hours.
    I will ask if any of the rental agencies have Prius. I usually rent a midsize SUV Explorer/Blazer size. We look at lots of land and many of the roads are unimproved gravel. Gas used to be expensive over there. In March/April it was $2.099 10 cents less than San Diego, go figure. We are going back to Hilo the first of September. We just closed on an Anthurium farm and have another 2 acres we need to clear for a retirement home. We could try a Prius and see how it is on the steep hills overlooking Hilo town.
    If you had a Suburban you could have thrown the couch in the back and put the $75 in the tank.... What a pity...hehe
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I just received a recall notice for SSC 40D. Has anyone also received this?
    What is it for?
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    Note that it is not a recall. It is a Special Service Campaign, hence SSC.

The difference is that recalls typically involve some type of safety issue. This doesn't. Operation of the propulsion-system isn't affected at all.

It is an update for the diagnostic system, hence the title "On-Board Diagnostic".

They will update one of the ECUs so it can better communicate with the ODB scantool the mechanics use. With this, some system faults may not be recognized. In other words, you could get a master warning light without any detail (error codes).

If the dealer is experienced with this type of update (which some are getting good at now, like mine), downloading to the tool, uploading to the Prius, and testing the system takes around 1 hour. And of course, it is free.

I had this update done along with my 15,000 mile service (less the oil change) last week. It took 2 hours total and everything worked out fine.

By the way, there is a standard now for identifying ECU updates. The dealer puts stickers, with details filled in, on the driver's door-jam and under the hood.

JOHN
    My Toyota sales rep reports that the 2005 Prius is scheduled to start production in late August, with 100 planned for production that month. No word on changes. Also it seems Prius shipments have picked up, at least in the Chicago Region, with some dealers (mine at least) getting an extra allocation this month.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
       I bought my '04 Driftwood Pkg #9 in Feb 04 and paid sticker. The sticker with factory add-ons of rear carpet mat, decal etc was $26k and change. With tax, title and license came to just over $28k. Since demand outweighs supply, dealers don't have to dicker with the buyer. If you won't pay sticker, there are 40 people on the list who certainly will. I am not objecting to having to pay sticker price, I've got my Prius.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    This is the first time i've seen a road test review that beats the EPA figures. It is a fair and complete article.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Toyota.spy?arti- - - d=25876&pg=1

Dennis
  • trinimantriniman Member Posts: 1
    This is for anyone trying to increase their MPG, I've learned to do this by utilizing the cruise control at every opportunity (I have a lead foot anyway). I was getting 42.5 MPG driving in hilly NW DC. It has increased to 48.5 in a week since I've started to continually use the cruise control. Although I've yet to get the EPA of 60 or even 55, it still gets double the MPG of just about anything else available. Just the idea of rolling down the hwy at 65mph getting 65-75 mpg (or not even using any gas when on a decline) made the 4 month wait worth it.
    I've noticed the same kind of behavior driving regular ICE cars. But I suspect it's even more important on the Prius because perhaps the computer can offer better control with the cruise on. 48.5 mpg is really good and while I wouldn't say it's double just about anything else available, it's certainly double the overall mpg of a typical mid-sized car.
    > perhaps the computer can offer better control with the cruise on

After awhile though, you instinctively learn to do even better. It is exactly like rollerblading (which I do a lot of). You just naturally pick up on the right thing to do to achieve maximum efficiency.

By the way... right now, after having driven 200 miles on this tank, the value on the Multi-Display is at 59 MPG ...without using cruise-control at all.

JOHN
    John.. you ought to consider giving a class in the procedures you use to achieve this type of mileage. I am still averaging 47-49 overall for the summer. I'd be VERY happy to see low 50's but heck... I am extremely pleased with what I am achieving now.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Dennis- Where in the article are did you find the 59/56 figures? The only fuel economy numbers in the article (pg. 7) are the 4.0L/100km city and 4.2L/100km highway figures from the Toyota Canada specifications?
    Moparbad

Usbseawolf2000 #3367 is correct. Those figures convert to 58.8 and 56.05 Miles per gallon city/highway respectively.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    You need to understand that the figures are not actual mileage obtained by the reviewer.
    quote Dennis- This is the first time i've seen a road test review that beats the EPA figures. It is a fair and complete article.- end
    The figures are the Toyota Canada mileage estimates, NOT the results of the reviewer.

Toyota Canada estimated fuel economy figures do not equal actual road test review numbers that beat EPA. I feel that I'm communicating to a brick wall right now:(
    I had a dealer email that he had a lowcmileage used 2001 Prius for sale only $17,400 WOW! The Prius are holding their values.

In another article in the "Hybrid in the News" forum there is reference to an article that indicates the real cost of the Prius is $40K and that Toyota is selling all at a loss.

YMMV,

MidCow
    > procedures you use to achieve this type of mileage

Simply waiting is a big factor. Past 15,000 miles now, the car is broken-in. (All along I've been saying this will help.) Then there's the switch to synthetic oil, filling oil to the proper level, and using 44/42 PSI in the tires. Avoiding short-trips and minimal A/C use helps a lot too.

None of those requires any type of driving technique. So just above the 50 MPG mark should be pretty darn realistic.

JOHN
    Avoiding short-trips and minimal A/C use helps a lot too

I was aware of the short trip issues, I thought I read on this forum that the AC did not make any difference in mileage.
    The AC doesn't make any difference because it is electric. The only effect is some battery discharge which is normally taken care of by the ICE trickle charger (MG1) and regenerative braking.

In other cars, where the AC is belt drivien off the IEC air conditioning use should be minimized because it can lower mpg by 2-5.

YMMV,

MidCow
    Does anyone have real prices paid in Japan for the Prius? Maybe that is why they keep most of the units in Japan to try to overcome the losses. I doubt we will ever get an honest answer from Toyota on profit or loss for the Hybrid. They have many ways to cook the books on them. That is only a couple billion dollars loss. Prius are good PR and Toyota has deep pockets.
    I don't recall reading that here, in fact I recall reading the opposite. The a/c is electric, meaning it draws from the battery. The ICE recharges the battery (regenerative braking does too, but it doesn't do the full job of recharging the battery). So the more the a/c runs, the more the ICE needs to run.

I saw a Prius circling the airport (picking someone up) the other day, it was a warm (85 and muggy) day and they had all the windows rolled down. I suspect it wasn't because they loved the warm, humid air driving along at 5 mph, circling the airport.
    Being discussed in the "Hybrids in the News" discussion

midnightcowboy "Hybrids in the News" Jun 28, 2004 10:27am
    Excuse me, but that post has nothing to do with the price paid or buying experience for the Prius, in Japan or any other country. It is speculation about the manufacturing costs of the Prius and IMO is off-topic here.
    which is why the off-topic post was re-directed. Now, back to prices paid and buying experiences.
    Dennis.. thanks for the link to the Canadian review. Though it was all positive, it appears as if it wasn't professionally driven. It sounds as if my mom or sister wrote that review.