Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius

Comments

• Options
    debldebl Member Posts: 7
    1)regarding the 10yr/150,000 syngergy drive warranty in calif. (vs 8yr/100k elsewhere): if you buy the car out of state but register it in ca. do you get the calif. warranty? or do you have to buy it in state?

2)also: one dealer told me the sales tax was dependent on where you register the car, not where you buy it... is that true?? doesn't seem right...

thanks!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    On the first question, I don't know but it's a really important question. If I were you I'd get a definitive answer, in writing, from your Toyota dealer or Toyota Customer Service.

On the tax, this varies by state. In my state, if you pay less than 6.5% sales tax on the car bought in another state, you have to make up the difference when you register the car. (They don't want people going to a lower-tax state next door just to avoid paying sales tax.)
  • Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Well, I've been looking all through the manual and have located the page(233) with warning 85mph max safe speed on existing tires.
    The tires on my 04 PRius are...P185/65R15 86S GOODYEAR..INTEGRAS. After reading the warning I did investigate my tires to make sure of their limits. Seems that Prius owners have to investigate on their own as to the tire performance standards. You have to be a tire professional to be sure of tire ratings.
    Note: the last letter indicates the performance rating.
    Culliganman(investing in premium tires 2nd time around)
  • Options
    After checking with Goodyear I'm informed the tires are rated up to a max of 119MPH. Toyota could help by passing along info on the equipped tires on their Prius cars I would think. If they vary the speed rating of tires I would find that disturbing. Wouldn't you?
    Culliganman( Goodyear tires are holding up better than expected)(04 Prius w/17K)
    P.S. If you're as confused with today's tire specs I suggest going(like I did) to Goodyear's website for the details.
  • Options
    joebeattjoebeatt Member Posts: 50
    Indeed, very confusing. First this 85 mph limit in the manual. Would that have something to do with the American "sue culture"? The idea being that if your tyres blow up at 90 mph they can always say: "we've told you so"? I would find that strange, but then again, I never lived in the USA and we Europeans don't understand anything about all this sueing. We get the impression that it's only there to allow the lawyers to make astronomical amounts of money and that it doesn't help the costumer much?

I also find it strange to Goodyear tells you that your tires are rated up to 119mph. According to what you say they are "S" tyres and these normally range up to 112 mph:
    http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/speed.asp
    That would you be OK for the Prius as it's maximum speed is a little bit below that mark, but still, it looks a little bit minimalistic to me.

In Europe you get your Prius on Michelin Premacy 195/55R16 V tyres. These rate up to 149 mph. Far too much for a Prius, but then again, I'm quite happy with that as one can be sure that there is some margin, even when you drive your fully loaded Prius at high speeds on the freeway when it's 105 degrees.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    We get the impression that it's only there to allow the lawyers to make astronomical amounts of money and that it doesn't help the costumer much?

Your impression is right on. I think though the tire rating may have to do with speed limits in the USA.
  • Options
    Sounds like you enjoy the roads where you drive. I wish our roads were up to snuff. We've had a miserable winter leaving countless pot-holes that can swallow a small car let alone a Prius. I think I'll invest in a set of MICHELINS next time around although many of the Japanees Brands are worthy. Toyota does a good job promoting tires that they prefer Prius owners buy. They have gone so far as to say if you don't buy the brands they recommend you will have a loss in MPG's. If this is true(and I have my doubts) it's a small price to pay if it improves roadability & tire performance. TIRES ARE THAT IMPORTANT AND SHOULD BE! No skimping there.
    Culliganman(Good rubber to the road)
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    According to that thinking, the only tires that need to be sold in the USA are the lowest rating, P rating , good up to 93 mph

Then why are other OEM tires sold in USA rated at S-112 mph,T-118 mph, U-124 mph, H-130 mph ( many sold), V-149 mph, Z- 149+ MpH and even some W- 168 mph. Thes top rating Y-186 mph is only OEMed on exotics.

Maybe the Prius tires and the recommended 85 mph limit are based on the anticipated driver demographics and the actual performance capabilities of the car. The higher mph tires usually return lower mpg.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

The max speed of the Prius II is only 100-106 or thereabouts so who cares? The Integrity’s are S rated at 112 mph. If someone would want to change out their Prius’ tires, they will more then likely lose FE as the Integrity is one of the lowest RR available in a large size tire. Traction wise they suck in the rain/snow but they are quiet, comfortable, long lasting, and have very LRR ratings. The Michelin MXV4 + are a good candidate for replacements as they are LRR as well and have better traction all around but they are not the best traction tire around either. I do not know if they come in a 185/65 R15 size but you could look it up …

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    *** TIRES ARE THAT IMPORTANT AND SHOULD BE! No skimping there. ***

I fully agree. Wouldn't it be that part of the complaints about the handling of the Prius are caused by the type or tyres they put it on? I think the Prius handles quite OK, but then again, it's on Michelins and I don't have a F1 type driving style (I guess nobody who buys a Prius does).

I personally would certainly give up some MPG to get a better handling and more comfort. For instance, at the moment my Prius is on winter tyres. I don't take the risk to hit a pedestrian because my summer tyres would fail in the snow. For me, all your life's MPG gains wouldn't compensate for hurting somebody or getting an accident that could have been avoided.
  • Options
    *** Sounds like you enjoy the roads where you drive. I wish our roads were up to snuff. We've had a miserable winter leaving countless pot-holes that can swallow a small car let alone a Prius. ***

Now I understand why the Hummer is so popular in the USA. It's one of the few cars that won't disappear in the potholes! <):-)
  • Options
    I guess nobody who buys a Prius does

The only issue I have heard on the Prius handling is cross winds. I imagine the EU Prius has better braking with 4 wheel disk brakes.

PS
    The popularity of big SUVs & PU trucks in the US and especially in CA is Safety. Other than rollover they are far safer than any of the sedans. Our CA roads have very few potholes. That is a condition caused mostly by rain, snow & freezing.
  • Options
    yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    The popularity of big SUVs & PU trucks in the US and especially in CA is Safety.

Weight based safety is only a relative factor. If we drive in Trailblazer and hit a Suburban, then we will be injured badly.

Real safety is in Seatbelts, Airbags, accident prevention mechanism like ABS, ESP, etc.

Of late, there is a 9K discount (which includes 0 % APR) on Suburbans.
  • Options
    Hi gagrice. I was just kidding about the potholes. It was just in reaction to what railroadjames had said.

About the safety: I think that it is more an IDEA that SUVs and truck are safer. If you look the IIHS statistics:

http://www.iihs.org/sr_ddr/sr3507_t1.htm

you will see that the safest cars are vans and stationwagons between 3500 and 4500 pounds (death rate of 38 per million). Even the heaviest SUV and pickups can't match that figure. I have always understood that SUV and pickups are superior in multi-vehicle crashes, because of their weight, but inferior in single-vehicle crashes and rollovers. This cancels the weight advantage.

Also look at this:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0110.htm
    http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/99009.htm

Doesn't look too good, does it?

However, in practive the facts do not matter. People will ignore facts and just buy a car because it makes them a feel safe. But in reality I think you are as safe in a Prius as in a SUV. In TOTAL, that is, of course not in a crash between a Prius and a Hummer.
  • Options
    In TOTAL, that is, of course not in a crash between a Prius and a Hummer.

In an accident, Hummer is safer than Prius.
    But in a Gas Station, Prius is safe than Hummer.

I think the probability of Prius meeting Hummer in a Gas Station is much more.

I think Hummer sales have declined by around 8 % despite a SUT model being launched. Prius sales are increasing at a faster rate.
  • Options
    sparky5sparky5 Member Posts: 2
    I turned off my screen, now I can't figure out how to turn it on. I have tried every possible combination of button pushing that I can think of, but the screen won't stay on. My son's really like to watch the mileage screen. The manual is no help.
    Please help me.
    Thanks
  • Options
    O.K. This should work. While screen is off hit the outside (just to the right bottom of screen button "INFO". Imediatly hit trip info (ON THE SCREEN left). Everything will go back to normal. (if you follow these steps)..By the way, How long have you had your Prius & how many miles?
    Culliganman(by the way...it happened to me too)
    P.S. Ain't Technology Fun!! ha!ha!
  • Options
    hbghbg Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently on the list for a Prius here in suburban Philly. Key question is what others have found as to it's capacity for luggage etc on trips. Also have two teenagers to transport on said trips. Is the backseat roomy enough? Haven't been able to test drive the car on the open road yet. Thanks.
  • Options
    Most Prius shoppers are unaware that the Prius is much bigger on the inside than they appear on the outside. 5 Adults is not an exaggeration. Get a brochure and get to know the specs. In addition to the hatchbacks Rr luggage spcae(over 16 sq.ft) there are some surprises in back...on the left there's a storage compartment for nick-nacks and then there's a large compartment below the base. You lift the deck cover and low & behold there it is... a place for several things. It's bigger than I expected. As for back seat room, I was totally surprised by all the leg & head room. Simply put...A smart & roomy car.
    Culliganman(A CAR FOR ALL SEASONS)
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    That is cubic feet, no way it could possibly have 16 square ft back there.
  • Options
    Yes that's right 16.1 plus and a pull-out storage cover.Plus the 2 compartments and 2 not 1 but 2 glove boxes. Just an amazing "big" little car. It's just been my favorite new car experience. A car that is so inovative and fun to operate. Getting near 50 mpg's ain't bad either.
    Culliganman(oil is $55.00 Gas is $2.09) go'n up
  • Options
    Actually most Prius owners suspect that those mean 'ol monster Hummers don't miss the holes. THEY MAKE THEM!!! Of course we ,in the Prius hybrids, just go around the Hummers. We'd go under them but that might embarass them. We never pull in behind them @ gas-stations. It would take to long to wait (unless we wanted to study their vanity plate...."INVME2".
    Well there I go again...telling the everyday Hummer jokes. My bumper sticker use to say..(picture of a screw next to OPEC.
    Culliganman(Prius Is Good For Wallets)
  • Options
    bobraxtonbobraxton Member Posts: 11
    May is 12 years from when we bought our 1992 VW Golf 4-door which gets 34 or 35mpg. You are approximately the age my wife will be when she has been driving the (not quite yet purchased) 2005 Prius for twelve years. We are in Virginia very near Washington, D.C. Do you still have the Civic for sale?
  • Options
    "Yes that's right 16.1 plus and a pull-out storage cover."

Did you miss my point entirely? That is cubic feet, not square feet. If it is square feet, what is the cubic?
  • Options
    IT'S CUBIC PERIOD
    Culliganman(I've yet to see the specs in square Ft)
  • Options
    While talking about the CUBIC & SQUARE, I wonder why the Pickups are shown a 4 ft cargo bed, 5 ft, etc.

They can put a box like structure and claim the capacity in CUBIC Feet.
    Is it a method to make people buy longer trucks. All means of efficiency shoud be promoted.
  • Options
    "While talking about the CUBIC & SQUARE, I wonder why the Pickups are shown a 4 ft cargo bed, 5 ft, etc. "

It is because pickup owners need to know how long their cargo can be. The classic measurement is how big a sheet of plywood can be and still fit in the bed.

The reason cubic is so important is that one needs floor space to place luggage. A Ford 500 has 21 cubic feet of cargo space. One would think "oh, that's only 5 cubic feet larger than the Prius", and one would be correct. But the space in the 500 has more square feet, and you can get more luggage back there. Cubic is very deceptive when discussing SUVs and hatchbacks, which rise vertically. One of the big problems I have with the Prius is that the cargo space is just too small length X width X depth, never mind the cubic (height).

I have similar issues with my CR-V. It has up to 40 cubic feet behind the rear seats (with the rear seat slid all the way forward). But if you compare it with a Ford Explorer, the Ford has a lot more space back there, even though it is not that much bigger in cubic volume. But 40 feet is a lot of cubic volume (as is 33 cubic feet with the rear seats slid all the way back). So I get by.

It is critical for all prospective buyers of any smaller car to check the carrying capacity of the cargo area. Take you child seats and stroller to the dealer.
  • Options
    You've some good points. I agree that space can be deceiving. The Prius, for its' size(mid size) is surprisingly spacious. Is it a Crown Victoria? NO. It is quite usefull for its' size. As for room...I've had 5 Adults and 4 large bags in back with some inovative shuffling of them. Lastly, the Prius is a very creativly made car with great room both front and back. I own an old classic 73 Buick Riv and it is sad to say the Prius has gobs of more space than the Riv. especially in the back seat. Makes you wonder how we ever made it through the 70's.
    Culliganman(a better mouse trap)
  • Options
    Perhaps this is the wrong forum/board but here is what I have gleaned and think we want in purchasing:

Pkg# 4 to get side impact plus stabilization
    $795 for Platinum warranty (to 100,000 miles?)
    $345 for road hazard (includes wheel replacement)
    $895 pre-paid scheduled maintenance (through what mileage?)

We received a quoted "price break of $500" which made our "plain" Prius cost Out-the-Door to be dollars over $23,000 but I have not discussed these other items with the Washington, D.C., area dealer. Has someone bought all these in a single package and are the prices doable?
  • Options
    Hatch Toyota in Show Low Arizona has two new 2005 Prius for under MSRP. I think one is a #4 the other a #3.
  • Options
    Pkg# 6 Out-the-Door price quoted to us was
    $27,309.77 which includes safety (sida air bags, stability) as well as cassette (in stereo).
    We are in Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C.

Now (because I asked about warranty:

"The total O.T.D. with the 7Yr 100K platinum &#147;0" deductible &#147;TOYOTA&#148; =
    $29,001.02
    you can use your Toyota warranty at any of the 1300 dealers in the USA.
    You also may purchase that warranty at any Toyota dealer that sells that Platinum 0 deductible warranty."

In my reading I have noticed people have quoted as much as $2,200 for Platinum warranty.
    Some have claimed $1,200 as "dealer cost" but some have paid (as little as) $795 for it by negotiating ("that is all I will pay").
    Your opinion of what sales here has quoted?

The Platinum quotes were for 6 years and 7 years, each 150,000 miles. Should there (also) be a 10-year Platinum? If so, is there any reason they should not have quoted it for us?

We are wanting also to do a bicycle rack but they quoted about $560 including 3 hours of labor charge (to put it on).
  • Options
    "... have package #4 that does include the side curtain airbags and vehicle stability control. We have a Seaside Pearl one with Package #4 that has I can offer a sale price of $24,648.19 which includes taxes, tags, processing fee ($279), all rebates, incentives, destination fee and web coupon. The platinum warranty, road hazard and scheduled maintenance plan are extra to this price. This products are sold by our finance department and I would be happy to have one of my representatives ... go over pricing on these items with you. You can reach me or one of them (just ask to speak with someone in the finance department)..."
    I suspect this does not have the cassette of Pkg# 6 but is $2,661.58 less than the other offer, both read just this morning.
  • Options
    Package #4 it is..........Vehicle goes at
    MSRP for $23,790.
    Going rate (in this Area) is $500.00 off MSRP Making vehicle, (including Tax, Dealers Processing, etc.),
    $24,391.95 OTD.
    Platinum Warranty is for 7 years/100,00 miles and goes for
    $1650.00 OTD and the
    Pre-paid Maintenance, longest, is 4yrs/55,000
    $695.00 OTD
    So all total
    $26,736.95
  • Options
    A different area dealer agreed to match all prices (lowest price guarantee) AND also to provide first two years routine maintenance "free" making a total of six years routine maintenance (including the pre-paid).
  • Options
    Does someone transport their bicycle(s) with Prius?
    Do you put it inside the car?
    Do you put two inside?
    Roof rack? if so, which?
    Rack that can be put on and taken off (our current one fits the back of our VW Golf 1992 4-door)?
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I usually turn the heat/AC up or down (or off) using the steering wheel. I usually tune the radio from the steering wheel. I rarely every actually touch the touch screen.
  • Options
    nijanija Member Posts: 2
    Anybody recently bought a new Prius in Portland, OR? I am looking into buying one with Pkg#1. Is it still going for above MSRP? Is there still a long wait for one?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    rbhtrbht Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to buy in Northern VA too. Do you have any information on how much below MSRP we can hope to get in this area?
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I can't speak to the question of actual transaction prices in Portland, but there appears to be plenty of availability on the ground. All I can say is that I would not pay a penny over MSRP for this car now that there are multiple examples on virtually every dealer's lot from here to Seattle...
  • Options
    starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    I bought my two Toyotas (no Prius - yet) from Fitzmall in Gaithersburg, MD and have been pretty happy with them. This one is in Tideland Pearl:

Link:
    http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.asp?Search=NEW&ID=038237&photo=TO051224&loc=LFT&m- all=GA&year=2005&mk_code=TO
  • Options
    sparky5sparky5 Member Posts: 2
    I've had this prius less then a month with under 300 miles on it so far. I love it, except for the color - I wanted red and the color on the web site didn't look to bad. What a shock - it's scab brown, I'm getting used to it slowly.
    Our other car is a 2002 prius, I can't remember how many miles are on it but we've been very happy with it.

(My teen-age son figured the screen problem in about 2 seconds and gave me the "gee you dumb mom look" only a teen-ager can give.)
  • Options
    semenzatosemenzato Member Posts: 41
    OK, so, we bought a Prius (black, package 6). It's for my wife. She used to drive an Audi TT.

We live near the top of a hill at about 1,000 feet. When we arrive home, the battery is usually two notches below full. As we drive down the hill, the battery charges up quickly (it's steep, so we drive on B) and about 1/2 way down it's fully charged. Now this suggests that we are wasting some potential energy. It would be nice if we could control the battery charge level so that it's not so close to full when we get home.

Coastaletech.com advertises a gadget that is supposed to allow the driver to select an "electric-only" mode for speed below 30mph. This would probably do the trick for us, but it prompts a few questions.

1. If not used carefully, can this gadget lead to a level of charge so low that it can damage the battery?

2. Do the electric motor and battery tolerate frequent use of the motor at full capacity?

3. Will the coastaletech gadget void the warranty?

4. Has anybody had any experience with coastaletech? A search on priusonline.com shows a few negative experiences, and none good.

5. Are there other solutions?

Thanks a lot!
    Luigi
  • Options
    I would say it will void the warranty, as Toyota seems to be very keen on keeping the charge level of the battery within certain limits. It has to do with the lifespan of the battery.

I don't live near the top of a hill, so maybe I ask a stupid question: can't you drive the last half a mile or so in EV mode? That will drain the battery to a lower level, so the next day you will have more room to store braking energy. Isn't this just a matter of pressing the EV button?
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    In the USA there is not an EV button. It sounds like the Costal mode only adds in the EV function which os available on Prii outside the USA. If so then the warranty would still be in tact.

Crus'n in 6th,

MidCow
  • Options
    priusbobpriusbob Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2005 Prius for 9 days and I love it. Already found the answer to the reverse-beep problem. Now I would love to be able to charge my cell phone when the car is off. Any ideas how one of the two power plugs can be hot after the car is turned off?
  • Options
    Hi MidCow. Are you serious? For me the EV button is one of the highlights of the Prius. Too see the faces of your neighbors, when you drive off in EV mode, that's really funny...
  • Options
    captainkevcaptainkev Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying a Prius today! after a terrible experience at Poway Toyota this weekend (SO. Calif) I am turning to buying from a private party, but want to confirm prices... I can't seem to find MSRP anywhere (without going to a dealer). Can anyone help give a quick ballpark of MSRP for package #6 and Package #5 with no extended warrantees?

experience at the dealer was typical pressure sales experience. also, outside the hovering sales agents were making comments about people driving into the dealer... totally unprofessional in my opinion.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...should be easily available online.

Edmunds, Kelley, and Toyota's websites should have this info.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ncb?kbb.WA;977850;WA011&98660;sed&6;Toyota;2005%20Prius- &M40M8A2;;M40M8&&3&&nyrnc

And one bad experience at one dealer hardly would make me eager to buy from a private party...
  • Options
    drtravel47drtravel47 Member Posts: 7
    Greetings all
    Just got a Prius last Friday and am still confused about a few things

1. Is the bottom part of the hatchback window connected to the defroster? When I turned on the rear defroster, the top defogged fast, but the bottom did nothing.

2. I'm totally confused about the Consumption display. I drove today about 20 miles over 35 minutes. It began at about 25 mph (it always seems to start low), then jumped up to 50 ish, and at one time jumped to 75, then back to 50. Sometimes, the little car icons appeared (2 of them), other times, only a half of one. There seems to be no relation to MPGs and the icons. Can someone explain this?

3. Can you make the lights on the steering wheel brighter? I can hardly find them at night?

4. Is the MPG average accurate. I filled up today for the first time. My calculations said 37 MPG, but the display had me in the mid 40s.

5. Does the battery ever get fully charged. When I bought the car, it was in the blue zone. It usually gets to one green bar, and only one time have I seen it with 2 green bars. Is this OK?

6. Is there a way for the heat to come on without the compressor? I wind up 'unclicking' AC to save energy. It took me a while to realize there's nothing called 'heat' only 'a/c'

Thanks in advance for your help.
    David