Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kuwait06kuwait06 Member Posts: 1
    just checking to see if anyone has heard of this..my husband say when he turns the steering wheel to the left he hears some kind of noise that sounds like air coming from the one of the tires????..we just got it serviced less than a week ago and nothing was mentioned..so now it going back again!!!
  • eric312eric312 Member Posts: 71
    I have 2001 740i with 59,000 on it. Last night i was using Navigation and by accident clicked on emergency option on the screen. Nav showed me my location and then screen went blank. I turned off the car but screen would not come back. Radio, cd etc. are working ok.
    I took out Nav DVD disc and turned on the car, screen came back. I turned off the car, put the DVD disc back in and turned the car on. Screen was blank, grey with white lines. I then tried taking DVD out again but it would not come out.

Just wanted to know if anyone run into similiar issue and how it was resolved. It sucks that my certified warranty run out in June.

Thanks for your help.
  • cjennjrcjennjr Member Posts: 7
    I've researched some aftermarket shops and have found angel eye bulb replacements for BMW 745s 2002 and up. The bulb give the look of HID like the headlight, not the yellow halogen light that it currently has. The question is, does anyone know where the angel eye bulb is located within the headlight module and how to replace it? I've looked over the Internet but can't seem to find any info regarding this. Any help would be appreciated.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I followed the 7 Series boards for many a month a couple of years ago when I was considering a new car. It seemed like everyone was having massive problems with the new style 7 Series and it was clearly star crossed. I bought a Porsche instead and love the great customer service and the fact that there is no unscheduled maintenance.

I'm still puzzled though why people still want to buy these things. A quick scan through these boards reads like the Land Rover boards: most people love the cars, pay up for them, yet the ownership experience is awful! While the Rover thing is utterly baffling (a 70 MPH lane change in a Disco is a white knuckle experience while the ladder frame chassis takes a set and the roof decides much it is going to lean over) , I do understand how nice a 7 Series can be on a good day when the computers are all working, the I Drive in intuitively clear, and it is sunny out. But still, why do rational people buy such a problematic car?

Moreover, I can't understand the Bimmer resale values. Everyone agrees that the car has lousy reliability. Yet, a used new style 7 Series is still close to 40K and the car is 4 to 5 years old. Are there that many people out there that just have to have the Bimmer brand, to heck with the underlying value for the money equation?
    I have a 2002 745i, and I would agree that BMW's reliability isn't in the same league as Lexus, but they did realize the problems they had with the new 7 Series and extended the "new vehicle" warranty for another two years and 50,000 miles for '02 and '03 models. What other luxury marquee would do that?? I was in the market for a Mercedes S430 or S500 before I bought the 745. One of the many reasons for buying the Bimmer was the extended warranty - MB offered one at additional cost. Kelly Blue Book ranks BMW as the best in residual value over 5 years. Also, I think I can say with certainty that Bimmers are better in reliability than Mercedes, especially in recent years. Audi, I really can't say. Additionally, the technology is unparalleled (look at the new Benz S550 - they reek BMW inside and out!), the look of a Bimmer is unique, the interior is simple yet breathtaking, and most of all, they are FUN TO DRIVE!
    OK, thanks for the reasonable response (I had expected an ad hominem attack by a cool aid drinker). Sure, the Lexus IMHO is a Buick made in the Far East, no one is really old or fat enough to want to drive around in an isloated S550 and lord it over his employees/clients/customers/vendors/neighbors, and Audis haven't been a paragon of reliability.

I guess that leaves reasonable people like you (and me) who want a high end lux sedan that is fun and will handle with a short list to choose from. Don't forget about Jag though: great reliability, great pricing, and it is significantly lighter and nimbler than a uber German sedan. Resale? Lousy. But you can work it in your favor by buying an '05 for 42K as a CPO.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I found a 1990 735i sedan, needing some interior repairs, but overall very nice for $1,300. Aside from that, it needs an engine which I can have purchased and shipped for about 1,000.00. Should I purchase this car or not?
    No. Here's why. Rather than figure that for $2300 you are all done (or at least partially there), figure what a 1990 in geat shape would cost. Maybe 4K? Thats the better deal because you have no way of knowing right now what else besides an engine (and speaking of engines, what could possibly be the warranty on a 17 year old used engine?)this jewell needs.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Absolutely not. You can buy these cars all day long in very nice condition for $2,500--$3,000. The 735 is a very good car and there are plenty of them around in good operating condition. I wouldn't take that car you want to buy for free, quite frankly. Save yourself a nightmare.
    I was able to temporarily solve the problem by:
    1. Disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes
    2. Taking out Nav DVD
    3. Putting DVD back into reader

Everything worked ok for about 2 days and then Nav screen went grey again while i was
    driving. I reset the computer (see above) and screen started working again. But this time
    radio stopped working after about 5 min. I had to turn radio off and back on again. It worked
    for another 5-10min and then stopped at which point screen went dark again.

Any ideas/suggestions???
  • edrysedrys Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I also am having the same problem with my navigation system. Like yours, it is a 2000 BMW 740IL. Did you ever found out the problem and how to fix it?

Thank you
  • rubainrubain Member Posts: 1
    I have an 'o4 745 and since the get go, have had nothing but problems with the telephone that came with the vehicule.

I have had the phone replaced and the cradle repaired.
    The on screen memory numbers do not come on regularly (which means that no incoming calls can come thru and no outgoing sent) the number pad does not work when the onscreen does not come on, phone calls get disconnected in mid call and away from the car reception is not great.

Anyone else have such experience and what advice can someone suggest the next time I see the dealer.
  • cmeccacmecca Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 BMW 740il with the same problem...after I am driving for an hour the Navigation Screen freezes and shuts the radio off...I can shut the radio off and turn it back on and it comes on for about 10 minutes then shuts off again...when the car is parked and off for an hour all is well again, any suggestions...Dealer has no clue!
  • aguywhowriteaguywhowrite Member Posts: 5
    I have a line on a '98 750il. 'Atmospherics' are good. Straight-forward seeming long-time owner, mileage (100k) commensurate with daily use of a reliable car, offer to allow me to talk to mechanic. I just can't get a feel from the web of what to expect. Reports seem to run the gamut:

1. Run away screaming. Might as well be a Range Rover.

2. Car of a lifetime.

3. Not a Lexus, but not bad...

I'm a low-mileage driver, 12K or less per year, commute less than 5 miles each way. Parts don't seem too expensive. What's the bottom line on these cars?
    My general approach to buying a used car is to buy the best car that depreciates the most. On paper, 7 series is tops, on THAT score, that's for sure...
    Well I think the driving merits of the 750iL are outstanding. A Lexus cannot compare in power or handling.

Your biggest obstacle will be: how much can you afford to keep this car going? Unless you are fairly well-to-do, repair bills on this car will truly stagger you if/when they come up. Maybe the depreciation is in your favor but the upkeep definitely is not.

I'd say if you can't afford a new one, don't buy a used one out of warranty, as a rule of thumb for the 750 especially. Or in dollars and sense, I think you should plan on throwing about $250--$300 per month (averaged out) to keep the car on the road. That's not including gas and insurance of course.

What to watch for: check engine light, flukey NAV system, glitchy electrics, front control arm bushings, loosening trim pieces exterior and interior.
  • bh82bh82 Member Posts: 1
    Was driving down the road when all of a sudden all the windows, including sun roof, rolled down. I could not get them to go back up nor could I unlock any of the doors. Everything locked up. Pulled off the road, turned off ignition and restarted. It must have rebooted because everything finally operated properly. Does anyone know of any kinds of problems like this??
  • dwfladwfla Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2000 740iL with 50,000 miles on it and here is what I need help with. The engine occasionally runs rough, as though it is misfiring or a cylinder is missing. Service engine light comes on. Sometimes when it improves, the light will go back off, but then it will start again. It has been into the dealer several times and they have replaced a couple different sensors as well as a fuel injector, every time saying that should fix the problem. Well, it does, but only for a short period of time. Then, it does the exact same thing and I think they are totally stumped (a lot of confidence in these techs!). Has anyone had or heard of the same situation?
  • petemarshallpetemarshall Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I've just bought a 2000 735i & need help discovering which mobile phone is compatable with it.
    The car is U.K spec, & I'm told has connection compatable with "old style" Nokias.
    The cord has a connector similar to a small version of a computer serial port lead,any ideas which phone I should be looking out for?
  • esvcaddy4meesvcaddy4me Member Posts: 8
    Today my husband got into his '04 745i and the idrive is only showing the BMW screen. It will not got to anything else. Has anyone had a problem with this and is there a quick way to fix it without sending it to the dealer. Thanks
    The issue on my car was caused by the navigation CD/DVD drive/computer. Black box in the trunk where you put dvd disc. It had to be replaced. Look on the internet/ebay for it as NY dealer wanted $1300 for it.
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    hi could you elaborate on the 250-300 a month extra expense's?
    I am also considering a used 740 (see them with low miles 30-40k)in the late 90s (I don't want or like the navigation -idrive ect) for small money.
    Other cars I am considering are/where E series MB in 2002-04 again with low (under 40 k)(pretty much ruled it out even thou I like the look but the many repair problems posted on here make me want stay away from them) and the lexus LS 430 (much more money and very expensive to repair so I have moved that to back burner even thou wife has a 04 RX330 and like it (but not the service)
    thanks
    Well I was thinking of pro-active maintenance over a period of years in coming up with that estimate, and that would include expenables as well, such as tires and brakes....but it would not presume major catastrophic failures.

Of course, a person could buy a really NICE car, neglect it totally, and ditch it afer a year and have very little monthly expense....
    got it, thanks Mr Shiftright (any connection to transmission biz? used to manage one that why I ask)
    I guess then you could say that with anything thou.Unless you drive a horse (and Mr Ed and his cousins do eat) you need to have to spend on tires, brakes, belts, hoses ect no matter what you drive no?
    I figure there has to be a bit more cost on these 7 series (and the ls 430's,MB E's or any luxury car) ,I know the tires for my wifes RX330 where close to $800 which would be about double say a Envoy ot Explorer.But what would concern me is anything more than normal maintance
    Any guess's one how much more on theses 7 series (again the late 90's NOT the later "I-drive" navigation ones)and any thing in particular one should look for as a big ,not normal maintance, expense ???
    thanks
    Oh I think a used 750iL will cost considerably more to maintain than an RX330. It's about economy of scale for one thing...750iLs are not that common and the dealer probably doesn't stock a lot of the parts. It's mostly the parts that cost so much and of course the technical expertise (assuming the dealer has any) when say diagnosing engine management issues on the 750. I know of two really great independent BMW shops, really smart guys, and they'll just show you the door if you bring in a 750. There's just no sense for indy shops to gear up and to do the learning curve on a car they rarely see.

So my point is that you are heavily reliant on the dealer for *some* issues (not tires or brakes of course). But brakes will still cost you around $1,200 (as opposed to $1,800 from the dealer). This of course is a full brake job, all wheels, rotors, pads, the whole she-bang.

I love these cars, but you have to respect their complexity and be sober about the cost of keeping one tip-top after warranty is over.
    How about dropping down a notch in power to a 740,its more common and perhaps then the techs wouldn't run when you pull up for service? I suspect there is some degree less complexity and perhaps a bit more reliabilty(again a late 90s without the idrive,nav) that woulds even out the owners cost a bit to be closer to a "normal luxury car".
    Would you say that puts it closer to say a Lexus in owners cost?
    thanks
    Oh sure, a 740 is easier to service in the engine bay, no doubt about that, and indy shops would work on them.
  • aguywhowriteaguywhowrite Member Posts: 5
    I doubt that the difference would be that significant, overall, though. A Lexus, I suppose, would have the most predictable service costs. Remember, these aren't 'lemon' type cars, merely high maintenance.

If a 750il is available to you and you like it, go for it. You just have to resign yourself to higher than average costs with either 740 or 750. I'd think twice or three times about a car like this if I expected to put it to heavy duty use. For a low-mileage driver, though, they have a heck of a lot to offer. You just have to be able to maintain a certain amount of liquidity for the repairs and maintenance. Think about all the bucks you save on depreciation. That's a very real, if invisible expense.

Haunting the enthusiast forums such as this can help. For example, I found out that the bimmer heads like Kuhmo Ecsta tires for about $100 apiece for their rides.
  • 740stl740stl Member Posts: 1
    New owner of a 2000 740i, car originated in north east and only has northeast disc for navi....how do I obtain regional disk for midwest.....second question, since cd changer is in trunk , is it possible for aux hookup on radio for mp3 player along with retaining cd changer?
    thanks for your help,.... very informative postings..
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    First, I will say that I purchased a 2000 740iL (pre-Certified)in Feb 04 with nearly 50,000 miles. I love the car, the power but not all the expenses.

Two days after I purchased the car, the high power power seeting line blew. No problem, as BMW said, it is under warranty - only $50 deductible, which I got the dealer to pay for. Then a few months later the battery went - not under warranty, but the Water Cooled Alternator ($1050) was covered for $50. Well, seemed to be fine and in Jun 05 I took in in for the Level II service ($850). BMW did a great job and the list of items repaired was extensive - including complete cleaning and repairing of parts in the Throttle Body, two power steering lines, and gee the list was four pages including a couple of it items not covered. My cost, including the Level II was around $1300 - not bad considering they said I basically had a new car. Well, in June 2005 the front passenger side power window lift motor went out - Cost $550. January 2006, I took it to BMW for a coolant change - oops - needed auxillary water pump and lower power steering line plugged. All went well until, Oct 06 and the rear passenger power window life went out $457 (non BMW repair) - and just to clarify, with minor exception I have no one else in this vehicle - BMW told me the window lifts went out due to non-use. I do roll the windows down - BS in my opinion. And as I searched the internet looking for the lifts so I would know a competetive price - I noticed that nearly every web site did not have the window lift for the passebger side (front and rear same lift). In Nov 06, Iwent back to the dealer that installed the rear lift due to a clicking. As I pulled into the parking lot my Check Coolant light came on. Opening the hood, there was a pin hold leak in the right front. Replacement time, $487. Oh, maybe I should mention - this is now the third radiator in 85,000 miles. The original, a a second radiator as I found out installed by BMW under warranty for the original owner. And now power steering lines again, or at least I hope that is all. Putting in the shop to have fixed tomorrow morning. I also have posted it for sale and if the inspection goes okay tomowwor, I will place it on a lot under consignment. I wish you well, still love the car, style and power. I have reached the point that I am scared to drive the car for fear of something else failing. So, I purchased an 2007 acura RL. Best of luck, Don
  • fast7fast7 Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from the dealer . My 740il nav system needs replacement; cost$ 3500. Radio shuts off after 10 minutes even after they disconnected the nav system, etc. I got 89,000 miles and I am thinking about trading for something different. I don't care about the navigation system (especially at $3,500 TO REPLACE), but I need a radio. Any help out there?

Fast 7
  • mybmwat50mybmwat50 Member Posts: 1
    Glade I read your story, same problem dealer stated that a new battery would fix all of the problems(cost $270) .I told him that it would not do it ,but he stated this was what needed to be done. so I told him that I would pay for it .if it fixed the problem ,but if it didn't he was buying it.10 min. after leaving the shop the same problem.car back in the shop.any one with some help or advice
  • john740iljohn740il Member Posts: 6
    just purchased 1998 740il,86000 miles runs great front end seems tight, but wipers stopped working 2 days later seems there is no power to switch also if i turn on radio instant feedback,radio and cd work but feedback makes enjoying it impossible i figure its a bad ground ? any ideas,help would be appreciated
    You might ask a good auto stereo shop about noise suppression for the alternator and ignition wires. Depends on the sound of the feedback, which of course I can't hear.
    thank u for responding i thought about that but does it when car is not running also, do u know if wiper relay is behind glove compartment, there are no manuals available
    You could call up BMW parts department and ask where that relay is. They'd have a diagram of it when they looked up the part number for you. Ask for a "price and availability" on that part and then ask if his/her book shows where it is so you can examine it prior to purchasing a new one (there's no exchanges on electronic parts, usually, if you open the package).
  • fast7fast7 Member Posts: 2
    I got the computer problem fixed. An independent repair shop got a used navcomputer and replaced it. $780 plus hour shop labor/ Saved $2800.
  • wdeewdee Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 745iL and have had this problem over and over. It was very sporadic and the dealer could not reproduce it when I took it in. Eventually it happened and I drove it to them to show them. A mechanic told me that it is due to overheating of the electronics (NAV,stereo amplifier) as most of them are in the trunk and I have a black car in Florida. He said that the electronics run in parallel so when one part messes up, they all do. Kinda like the old Christmas lights that once one bulb went, the whole strand is dead. They couldn't tell what was causing the problem, but he said there was a service bulletin about it and they installed a cooling fan back there. I have not had the problem since, and I'm hoping that it doesn't come back in the hot summer months.
    told u i would let u know about service manual on dvd i got it for less than a chiltons type manual and it does what they said it would, has information on 'common' problems, like my problem w/wipers,keyed in symptoms and it says in the right inner fender wire harness gets chafed on metal plate,i have yet to pull inner fender but will let know if solved thanks again
  • seangguseanggu Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I recently bought a 2001 740ia w/ 54k miles . I noticed that no matter what I set the temp to on the climate control the right passenger side always blows cold air. For example I set both temps (left and right) to 75 and left side will blow warm air while the right side is blowing cold air. Could anyone tell me if they have heard of this issue? what are the likely causes? how much should I expect to pay to have it repaired?

Thanks
    In the last 4 months i have had the following fixed on my 2001 740 with only 60,000 miles on it:

1. NAV computer replaced
    2. Rear window regulator replaced
    3. Power steering hose replaced
    4. Radiator replaced

Is this typical of BMW quality? :mad:
    Is it true that original manufacturer's warranty on 2001-2003 (does anyone know exact years) was extended due to quality issues? If so what is the total warranty?
    For the 2002-2003 7 Series, you get a FULL 6 year, 100K mile warranty, bumper to bumper. This does not include maintenance items (that's a separate item). That is the main reason I bought my 745i - Benz, Audi and Lexus does not offer that kind of warranty on the flagship models. Although there were computer issues with the 745i and 745Li, if updates were made, there should not be any more issues with the car. I've had my car for a year and a half - I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!
  • dtb0203dtb0203 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 740iL and it's been the worse car I've owned. I purchased the car with 19K miles and before the 100K warranty was up, I had the following problems that were covered under warranty:

1. radiator replaced
    2. 4 days after replacing radiator, the car was towed again to the shop to replace the supply reservoir (or something).
    3. power steering hose replaced
    4. regulator on rear door window replaced
    5. rear door shade replaced
    6. glove box handle fixed (could not get in glove box)
    7. when it rained, it leaked overhead in the rear door area, they replaced tubing that drains the water
    8. replaced device that displays text in the dash, some of the dots were missing in text and some times you could not read what was displayed

(Now this list of 8 things is just what I remember without referencing the maintenance records. I am more than positive I have missed several things.)

Although not under warranty, I've replaced rotors every time I've replaced brakes. They say it's normal for BMW.

As of Feb 2007, I have 109K miles on the car, it's no longer under warranty and at 109K miles, the transmission went out. The message came up "Trans. Fail Safe Prog." It happened one week, had it checked out and they said the computer showed that I needed to replace the brake sensor light and the thermostat. So I did, at a cost of $800. Then a week later, the message returns and the car jerks all the way home. The transmission was gone, and to replace it costs $6,000. The dealer gave me a 10% discount, so I paid $5,400 out of pocket to replace the transmission. And the glove box would not open again, I replaced the handle at a cost of $400. I had to get rear brakes and rotors at a cost of $650. And then they tell me that the "return hose for the power steering" is leaking and needs replacing. I said, I replaced that hose. They looked thru the records and I replaced the "supply hose", not the "return hose" and the power steering has 3 hoses. All of this occurred in Feb 2007. I guess it will be soon when the 3rd power steering hose is leaking.

Previously I owned 2 Honda Accords. I got 180K miles on one and 220K miles on another. Neither required a new transmission or half of the problems I've had with BMW. I've had it with BMW. I test drove a Lexus this weekend. I was not as impressed with handling and how lightweight the car seemed, but they are reliable. BMW needs to get it right! It's almost hysterically funny how often this car has been towed from my garage to the dealer. I know my neighbors are scratching their heads, because I'm surely scratching mine. But each time I seem to convince myself that once this is done then I won't have any problems for a while, boy have I been wrong. I have to get rid of the car - in a few months I hope.

To say the least I'm very disappointed in the quality of the car considering it's cost. From your list, I've had 2 of those things to happen, it seems we have similar problems.
  • pbarnard1pbarnard1 Member Posts: 1
    did you find what was causing the 'check engine' light to come on? I have the same problem.
    Now that I have read your list I realized that I only listed problems that happened in the last 4 months for which I had to pay out of pocket. During the certified warranty period I had to fix the following:
    1. Computer that controls steering
    2. Some fuse (the engine stopped running in the middle of highway and would not start)
    3. Oxygen sensor for the service engine soon light
    4. Glove compartment locking mechanism
    5. Radiator cover on the hood. The thing just fell off.
    6. Fuel door lock

Keep in mind that right now I only have 61,000 miles on that car.

You may want to consider finding a good independent shop since what your dealer charges seems very high.

I like how BMW car drives but the only way I am going to get one is under a full warranty and get rid of it before it ends. 2003 745s look interesting due to warranty extension. See above.
  • dtb0203dtb0203 Member Posts: 2
    I am aware of the exteded warranty on the 2002 and 2003; however, I hear that they have lots of problems with those cars. As you might imagine, I have developed a rapport with my service advisor at the dealer and get a lot of information that way. He told me to stay away from those years for the 7 series. Stories I've heard include "driving at night all the lights go out in the car" and "the car won't start" and he told me that they have had the 2002-2003 models in the shop for a week trying to update the software. BMW stop calling owners of the 2003 7 series for the service survey, because they know the survey will be bad.

But guess what happened to me later the same day I replied to your email. I left work, drove one block to the gas station, fill the car with gas, got back in the car and the car would not start. It was the alternator and battery. So now that's been replaced. I'm hoping that with all things I've replaced this car will now last another 100K miles so I can recoup my money by getting more mileage out of the car.

You are correct, I need a good independent shop and I know of a reputable one. I actually called them to get a quote for the transmission. They were $900 cheaper, which is a lot, but there were several reasons I went with the dealer.

1. they gave me a free loaner (rental) car,if I had used the independent source, I would have had to pay for car rental
    2. they could do it faster
    3. I feel I have more recourse with them if something goes wrong

But I will consider using the other source for other things.
  • jantonacjantonac Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, I've had the same experience.
    I had to replace two window regulators and have a third that is on it's way out.
    My power steering hose has been replaced.
    My radiator was replaced (under warranty at least).
    My front calipers stuck and had to be replaced.
    My front seat lumbar support had to be fixed.
    How much did it cost you to get the NAV computer fixed?
    My NAV/radio resets itself all the time. In the colder weather it seems to work, but it hardly works at all in the heat.

Not the image of quality I was hoping for by buying a luxury BMW. Like I said, it drives wonderfully, but I can't believe how many problems I have had!
    The Nav drive/computer (the black box in your trunk where DVD drive goes) is $1300-1500 for a rebuilt unit at NY area dealers. Check eBay and online stores for better deals.
  • perfectdriverperfectdriver Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93' 740 il. I was wondering if the 740 il trannys were compatible with the 750 il? If not what would be the most inexspenssive way to go about fixing or replacing the tranny? :sick:
  • rcharcom740rcharcom740 Member Posts: 6
    Actually the dealer was at the beginning. The MkII computer that is the E38's are suseptable to voltage and thats the ususal start. Note all audio, Nav, TV etc goes through the NAV unit. If there is a problem with the Nav unit it takes about 2 min to cycle through and say I have a problem and the whole thing shuts down . Thats why when you hit the on off swith again it stars again for about 2 min. How do I know this -I was also a victim. I fixed my systen 2 ways first I upgraded to the MK IV ($750) and it was easy to install but the disc is $200 extra. I also repaired my MKII and have run it flawlessly for 1 month. I think Ill stick with the Mk Iv but I would part with the MK II