Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,974
    First off, go to another mechanic. The light is on for a reason.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Dear All,

I am a little puzzled... my BMW 740i's central locking has stopped working. If it were for all things this might make more sense. However, the locks still work on the front two doors but not the rear doors or the boot. Also the back interior light has ceased working. Any ideas anyone, I would be very grateful.
    Have you checked all your fuses?

• I have a 1997 BMW 740IL that has 150K on it. It is a nice looking car but since I bought it I have had to fix so many things it makes me wonder just how good these cars are. 1st the headliner fell down. $400 bucks and several trip to fix it it is repaired. Belt tensioner had to be replaced along with the belts. Cam sensor went bad. o2 sensor on one side went out, then the catylatic converter had to be replaced on the drivers side. Replaced the cup holder, wow what a crappy design (2hrs labor) glad I didn't have to pay BMW to fix that.
    Here is my current problem!!!!!!
    Now the radio won't work. The CD player works great but when you switch on the radio it lights up and the ST shows but no sound. I disconnected the phone (can't get it working anyway according to Verizon) but it still will not play. Can someone tell me if the amplifier or some other component is bad........oh the check engine light is on yet again.
  • My 1993 740 (210K miles) will occasionally refuse to start. Was told that was probably a "computer" problem. Had car serviced and computer re-programmed and it work fine for several months. Problem returned. Took to another repair shop. The mechanic swapped a computer from another BMW and my car started OK. Switched the computer back and my car still did OK. A friend advised that the computer was likely losing memory (due to whatever) and that if the car was not run for an extended period of time that it would (may) need to be re-programmed. The magic part was that the car would "re-program itself" IF you could just get it started. So, the advice was to spray a little starter fluid in the air intake and start the engine. It worked! The problem would re-occur and a little spray would do the job. The frequency increased. One occasion, the car's engine stopped running while driving - was able to safely get off road. Tried the starter fluid and after several attempts the car started and I took car to a mechanic. He replaced a starter relay and declared the problem fixed - difficult to tell when the problem is sporadic. The problem returned and a little starter fluid turned into multiple attempts to start with eventual success. The last time this happened, I had tried for 5 minutes of spray and crank. Finally gave up, called for a ride and decided to try it one more time - started right up and did fine. I have about lost my sense of adventure and would like to find a solution so that I am not always in danger of being stranded due to an unreliable car. Can you help or suggest a possible solution.
  • I am looking at buying a used '02 745li. I currently own a '99 LS400. I have heard BMW build quality is not very good. I was just wondering what problems occur most with this car?
  • Hello All, I have an interesting End of Lease Situation on which I need some input. I Originally Leased a 2002 745Li on a 4 year lease. After two years BMW bought the car back and gave me a 2004 do to all the troubles I experienced with the 2002. I am now at the end of the original lease.

The original residual value on the lease appears to be the same as the 2002 car. That is, they have quoted me a residual value of $44,998. The fair market value on the 2004 that I am actually driving is more like $60,000.

Does anyone have any experience with what might happen if I try to buy the car at $44K and re-sell? I am negotiating a new lease for the 650 Convertible. It sure would be nice if I could pocket the difference and put it toward the new car???

Any input would be appreciated
  • drive745, I leased a 2002 745Li and drove it 2 years. It was in the shop more than I had it. They ended up buying it bake and giving me a 2004. Most of the problems were computer related. If they have solved those problems it might be ok. I also had some wheel and alignment problems that they finally resolved.
    I don't think your market value number is too realistic but if they let you get away with this, there is probably some profit in the car for you...but if you pay sales tax when you buy the car (I'm not sure about this), your profit when you resell, after all the smoke clears, might be more like $5K or a little less. Depends on mileage and the car's condition.

• Shiftright, I received the buy out details from BMW....$45,000.00. Sales tax would be about $2600.00. I have researched resale values on Edmunds and other places. The car is in excellant condition with under 25K miles. The lowest re-sale figure I have seen is $62,995 with a high of $69,995.

The reason the residual is so low is that they set this up originally as a 2002 model then traded me out to a 2004 without changing the lease. I just can't see how I can lose on this???

Your insight would be valuable and thanks.

Steve
  • thanks for the info. Were those problems covered under warranty, or did they make you come out of pocket?
    I don't think your numbers are right. I just priced it out on Edmunds and get $52,000 as private party retail for a 24,000 mile car. You can't go by asking prices or dealer asking prices for a certified vehicle. I mean, I hope you make good money on the car but those numbers you posted sound very high to me. This is not a "quick sell" kind of car and it's a heavy depreciator, especially as 2006 rolls around.

But it still seems worth doing if you don't mind tying up that much money. This isn't a great time of year to sell either, so....

Anyway, go recheck the numbers on Edmunds and let's see why we are coming up differently.

• bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    KBB shows $57k for the car in "Good" condition on a private party sale. Trade-in is $51k, and Retail is $66k (this number is way off). Current auction listings have them going for about $53k. FWIW, Mr_Shiftright, I get about $53k for Edmunds private party in "Clean" condition ($57k retail, $61k Certified).

Now you know why it's so tough for a dealer to appraise a car and put a number on it.... Look at the differences in numbers!
    Okay so looks like he'd clear about $5K on a quick sale....he's obviously not going to want to sit on this car forever to sell it if he's looking to flip it. These cars don't hold value super well so the longer you wait the less you make. Sounds like it would sell fast enough at $53K then if those are the auction numbers. Guess it depends too on the car's geography how well it would sell.

• edj2edj2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 740iL with about 49,000 miles on it. The water pump just failed, which also ended up shredding the fan belt, cracking the radiator and probably breaking a hose which drained the coolant. Of course the car is now 5-months out of warranty. Needless to say a $1,500 bill for a part that (in my opinion) should typically last 50-100% longer than it did has me wondering if others have had this problem. Fro mwhat I see on this site there are some issues with early water pump failure on the 740.

Has anyone had any luck with BMW USA covering an "early" failure such as this out of warranty?
  • Well I finally made the decision to buy a 2006 750 Li and within 2 months of owning it the car stalled in the middle of me driving it twice, causing me to have to pull over, put the car in park, and re-start it. Be aware that the egineers at BMW are aware of this problem, which has something to do with the ignition system. The system had to be completely replaced, and the car re-programmed. I"m assuming if enough issues comes up, there will be a recall. If this happens, take it in immediately, it was a very dangerous situation.
  • Have the opportunity to urchase a 97 w/ 130,000 miles. Brand new engine and just about evething under he hood was replaced. Digital reouts have missing lights on the radio part but, odometer part is OK. Needs fog light. Interior is 95% clean. Third owner. owner wants $10,500. Drives great?? Nice car, would just be a toy. Would drive only about 5000 miles per year? What do you think!?
    trouble. He replaced everything and now it's your turn. This car doesn't sound like it's had a good history if you think about it. Personally I'd look for one owner, very short history of problems and lower mileage.

Also it's way overpriced for mileage and condition.

Buy a nice one for $10K-12K and be happier.

• Mr_Shiftright and Others, The BMW dealer has offered me $52,750 for the car. They will apply the difference between the $45K residual and $52,750 to a paydown on the Adjusted Cap or give me cash. Sounds like a good deal to me. Any problems that you can see???

SteveLL
  • I have new tires, recently balance and aligned 740i sport package car with 84k miles. I've owned it for 3 years, bought with 39k mi. No vib problems until about 5k miles ago. Driving me crazy with a steering wheel vibration. Between 50-60 mph the vibration occurs, vibration sometimes goes away after driving...sometimes within a few miles, sometimes it takes 20 mi to subside, but usually dissipates. When the car sits for a few hours or over the weekend seems to exacerbate the situation. I haven't had the suspension parts assessed for bushings, etc. Any similar problems out there? I had a 95 740i previously and had no such problems.
    Take a cash... Don't put extra money into a lease if you don't have to. Car_man goes over this all the time: If your car is totalled tomorrow, then that cash down totally disappears, plus the cash down doesn't reduce the total amount you pay over the course of the lease, so there is really no reason to do it.
    Yep I'm no lease expert but I do know that putting cash into a lease is crazy for the reasons stated above---that is lost money.

• All, I agree. If I apply the cash to the write down of the Adjust Cap the only "real" benefit I would get is a small reduction in the interested charged on the financing of a reduced Cap price. The reduction in the Cap otherwise only gives me the same cash back spread monthly over 24 months due to a smaller Cap-Residual. Good point and well taken. Thanks.

S
  • I have exactly the same problem with my 2000 740il sport package. I took it to a tire shop and they pointed out that the tires had flat areas that was causing the problem. It wasn't an alignment problem. Probably because the wide rims require Z rated tires which are considered soft. I haven't replaced the tires yet but now they have some that aren't so soft. The current tires are less than 18 mos. old. Have you had someone tell you why you are having your problem.
  • I have a 2000 740il with factory installed GPS. The know that controls the navigation system is the same knob you use to set the clock. This knob, although it turns regularly, only allows me to select between two on-screen options instead of being able to scroll through all of them like it used to. Now I am unable to use the GPS or to even set my clock because I can't access anymore than two letters or numbers when I turn the knob. Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem is or how to fix it?
  • 92735i92735i Posts: 25
    I now have 220k miles on my 1992 735i.
    I paid $30k in 1994 off a lease, it had 30k miles.
    Repairs:
    Radiator and fan clutch @150k miles
    power steering hoses (both) twice in 11 years
    radio (replaced with another OEM)
    headliner @ 140k miles
    Drive shaft @ 220k miles
    Fuel pump @ 160k miles
    bulbs every now and then
    top-end freshen up @ 160k miles ($3000)

Car runs perfect, no open maintenance or repair items pending.

I change oil every 3k and use synthetic. I change Tx fluid and filter every other year ($120 at dealer)

Use OEM for everything and always go to dealer.

I really like the 2001 740i spt pkg but can't justify spending $30k when my car has plenty of life left in her.

Happy and loyal BMW owner.
  • I love my 2001 740il and have Timesport 8000 Motorola telephone but I am concerned if its lost, stolen or breaks down, since its discountinued, it is possible to find a BMW dealer in US or other source to buy one? would like to find one as a back-up now since years later it may be harder to find

(and to answer one other posting about getting service, I was able to at Verizon, they set up a new tri-mode tele and then called that tel lost and got tel # off that tel and then put in on my BMW tel, it works great,
    Not only are those phones hard to find since they have been discontinued for years, but they are not 911-compliant, so the cell carriers won't activate them. You might be able to bribe them, but they aren't supposed to activate them due to the FCC regulation.
  • I've been told that could be the problem...the new tires are Kumho ECSTAs that are supposed to be as soft. Didn't have the problem with the ContiSports that were on the car when I bought it, but they were noisy. It's frustrating to have it happen. I'm going to drag it to the dealer to see what they say. Thanks for the info.
  • Let me know what you find out. I'm scheduled to get new tires in a few weeks.