Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hello,
    I also am having the same problem with my navigation system. Like yours, it is a 2000 BMW 740IL. Did you ever found out the problem and how to fix it?

Thank you
  • I have an 'o4 745 and since the get go, have had nothing but problems with the telephone that came with the vehicule.

I have had the phone replaced and the cradle repaired.
    The on screen memory numbers do not come on regularly (which means that no incoming calls can come thru and no outgoing sent) the number pad does not work when the onscreen does not come on, phone calls get disconnected in mid call and away from the car reception is not great.

Anyone else have such experience and what advice can someone suggest the next time I see the dealer.
  • I have a 2000 BMW 740il with the same problem...after I am driving for an hour the Navigation Screen freezes and shuts the radio off...I can shut the radio off and turn it back on and it comes on for about 10 minutes then shuts off again...when the car is parked and off for an hour all is well again, any suggestions...Dealer has no clue!
  • I have a line on a '98 750il. 'Atmospherics' are good. Straight-forward seeming long-time owner, mileage (100k) commensurate with daily use of a reliable car, offer to allow me to talk to mechanic. I just can't get a feel from the web of what to expect. Reports seem to run the gamut:

1. Run away screaming. Might as well be a Range Rover.

2. Car of a lifetime.

3. Not a Lexus, but not bad...

I'm a low-mileage driver, 12K or less per year, commute less than 5 miles each way. Parts don't seem too expensive. What's the bottom line on these cars?
    My general approach to buying a used car is to buy the best car that depreciates the most. On paper, 7 series is tops, on THAT score, that's for sure...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,058
    Well I think the driving merits of the 750iL are outstanding. A Lexus cannot compare in power or handling.

Your biggest obstacle will be: how much can you afford to keep this car going? Unless you are fairly well-to-do, repair bills on this car will truly stagger you if/when they come up. Maybe the depreciation is in your favor but the upkeep definitely is not.

I'd say if you can't afford a new one, don't buy a used one out of warranty, as a rule of thumb for the 750 especially. Or in dollars and sense, I think you should plan on throwing about $250--$300 per month (averaged out) to keep the car on the road. That's not including gas and insurance of course.

What to watch for: check engine light, flukey NAV system, glitchy electrics, front control arm bushings, loosening trim pieces exterior and interior.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• bh82bh82 Posts: 1
    Was driving down the road when all of a sudden all the windows, including sun roof, rolled down. I could not get them to go back up nor could I unlock any of the doors. Everything locked up. Pulled off the road, turned off ignition and restarted. It must have rebooted because everything finally operated properly. Does anyone know of any kinds of problems like this??
  • dwfladwfla Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2000 740iL with 50,000 miles on it and here is what I need help with. The engine occasionally runs rough, as though it is misfiring or a cylinder is missing. Service engine light comes on. Sometimes when it improves, the light will go back off, but then it will start again. It has been into the dealer several times and they have replaced a couple different sensors as well as a fuel injector, every time saying that should fix the problem. Well, it does, but only for a short period of time. Then, it does the exact same thing and I think they are totally stumped (a lot of confidence in these techs!). Has anyone had or heard of the same situation?
  • Hi

I've just bought a 2000 735i & need help discovering which mobile phone is compatable with it.
    The car is U.K spec, & I'm told has connection compatable with "old style" Nokias.
    The cord has a connector similar to a small version of a computer serial port lead,any ideas which phone I should be looking out for?
  • Today my husband got into his '04 745i and the idrive is only showing the BMW screen. It will not got to anything else. Has anyone had a problem with this and is there a quick way to fix it without sending it to the dealer. Thanks
  • The issue on my car was caused by the navigation CD/DVD drive/computer. Black box in the trunk where you put dvd disc. It had to be replaced. Look on the internet/ebay for it as NY dealer wanted $1300 for it.
  • dandgdandg Posts: 86
    hi could you elaborate on the 250-300 a month extra expense's?
    I am also considering a used 740 (see them with low miles 30-40k)in the late 90s (I don't want or like the navigation -idrive ect) for small money.
    Other cars I am considering are/where E series MB in 2002-04 again with low (under 40 k)(pretty much ruled it out even thou I like the look but the many repair problems posted on here make me want stay away from them) and the lexus LS 430 (much more money and very expensive to repair so I have moved that to back burner even thou wife has a 04 RX330 and like it (but not the service)
    thanks
    Well I was thinking of pro-active maintenance over a period of years in coming up with that estimate, and that would include expenables as well, such as tires and brakes....but it would not presume major catastrophic failures.

Of course, a person could buy a really NICE car, neglect it totally, and ditch it afer a year and have very little monthly expense....

got it, thanks Mr Shiftright (any connection to transmission biz? used to manage one that why I ask)
    I guess then you could say that with anything thou.Unless you drive a horse (and Mr Ed and his cousins do eat) you need to have to spend on tires, brakes, belts, hoses ect no matter what you drive no?
    I figure there has to be a bit more cost on these 7 series (and the ls 430's,MB E's or any luxury car) ,I know the tires for my wifes RX330 where close to $800 which would be about double say a Envoy ot Explorer.But what would concern me is anything more than normal maintance
    Any guess's one how much more on theses 7 series (again the late 90's NOT the later "I-drive" navigation ones)and any thing in particular one should look for as a big ,not normal maintance, expense ???
    thanks
    Oh I think a used 750iL will cost considerably more to maintain than an RX330. It's about economy of scale for one thing...750iLs are not that common and the dealer probably doesn't stock a lot of the parts. It's mostly the parts that cost so much and of course the technical expertise (assuming the dealer has any) when say diagnosing engine management issues on the 750. I know of two really great independent BMW shops, really smart guys, and they'll just show you the door if you bring in a 750. There's just no sense for indy shops to gear up and to do the learning curve on a car they rarely see.

So my point is that you are heavily reliant on the dealer for *some* issues (not tires or brakes of course). But brakes will still cost you around $1,200 (as opposed to $1,800 from the dealer). This of course is a full brake job, all wheels, rotors, pads, the whole she-bang.

I love these cars, but you have to respect their complexity and be sober about the cost of keeping one tip-top after warranty is over.

How about dropping down a notch in power to a 740,its more common and perhaps then the techs wouldn't run when you pull up for service? I suspect there is some degree less complexity and perhaps a bit more reliabilty(again a late 90s without the idrive,nav) that woulds even out the owners cost a bit to be closer to a "normal luxury car".
    Would you say that puts it closer to say a Lexus in owners cost?
    thanks
    Oh sure, a 740 is easier to service in the engine bay, no doubt about that, and indy shops would work on them.

• I doubt that the difference would be that significant, overall, though. A Lexus, I suppose, would have the most predictable service costs. Remember, these aren't 'lemon' type cars, merely high maintenance.

If a 750il is available to you and you like it, go for it. You just have to resign yourself to higher than average costs with either 740 or 750. I'd think twice or three times about a car like this if I expected to put it to heavy duty use. For a low-mileage driver, though, they have a heck of a lot to offer. You just have to be able to maintain a certain amount of liquidity for the repairs and maintenance. Think about all the bucks you save on depreciation. That's a very real, if invisible expense.

Haunting the enthusiast forums such as this can help. For example, I found out that the bimmer heads like Kuhmo Ecsta tires for about $100 apiece for their rides.
  • New owner of a 2000 740i, car originated in north east and only has northeast disc for navi....how do I obtain regional disk for midwest.....second question, since cd changer is in trunk , is it possible for aux hookup on radio for mp3 player along with retaining cd changer?
    thanks for your help,.... very informative postings..
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    First, I will say that I purchased a 2000 740iL (pre-Certified)in Feb 04 with nearly 50,000 miles. I love the car, the power but not all the expenses.

Two days after I purchased the car, the high power power seeting line blew. No problem, as BMW said, it is under warranty - only $50 deductible, which I got the dealer to pay for. Then a few months later the battery went - not under warranty, but the Water Cooled Alternator ($1050) was covered for $50. Well, seemed to be fine and in Jun 05 I took in in for the Level II service ($850). BMW did a great job and the list of items repaired was extensive - including complete cleaning and repairing of parts in the Throttle Body, two power steering lines, and gee the list was four pages including a couple of it items not covered. My cost, including the Level II was around $1300 - not bad considering they said I basically had a new car. Well, in June 2005 the front passenger side power window lift motor went out - Cost $550. January 2006, I took it to BMW for a coolant change - oops - needed auxillary water pump and lower power steering line plugged. All went well until, Oct 06 and the rear passenger power window life went out $457 (non BMW repair) - and just to clarify, with minor exception I have no one else in this vehicle - BMW told me the window lifts went out due to non-use. I do roll the windows down - BS in my opinion. And as I searched the internet looking for the lifts so I would know a competetive price - I noticed that nearly every web site did not have the window lift for the passebger side (front and rear same lift). In Nov 06, Iwent back to the dealer that installed the rear lift due to a clicking. As I pulled into the parking lot my Check Coolant light came on. Opening the hood, there was a pin hold leak in the right front. Replacement time, $487. Oh, maybe I should mention - this is now the third radiator in 85,000 miles. The original, a a second radiator as I found out installed by BMW under warranty for the original owner. And now power steering lines again, or at least I hope that is all. Putting in the shop to have fixed tomorrow morning. I also have posted it for sale and if the inspection goes okay tomowwor, I will place it on a lot under consignment. I wish you well, still love the car, style and power. I have reached the point that I am scared to drive the car for fear of something else failing. So, I purchased an 2007 acura RL. Best of luck, Don
  • fast7fast7 Posts: 2
    I just got back from the dealer . My 740il nav system needs replacement; cost$ 3500. Radio shuts off after 10 minutes even after they disconnected the nav system, etc. I got 89,000 miles and I am thinking about trading for something different. I don't care about the navigation system (especially at $3,500 TO REPLACE), but I need a radio. Any help out there?

Fast 7
  • Glade I read your story, same problem dealer stated that a new battery would fix all of the problems(cost $270) .I told him that it would not do it ,but he stated this was what needed to be done. so I told him that I would pay for it .if it fixed the problem ,but if it didn't he was buying it.10 min. after leaving the shop the same problem.car back in the shop.any one with some help or advice
  • just purchased 1998 740il,86000 miles runs great front end seems tight, but wipers stopped working 2 days later seems there is no power to switch also if i turn on radio instant feedback,radio and cd work but feedback makes enjoying it impossible i figure its a bad ground ? any ideas,help would be appreciated
    You might ask a good auto stereo shop about noise suppression for the alternator and ignition wires. Depends on the sound of the feedback, which of course I can't hear.

• thank u for responding i thought about that but does it when car is not running also, do u know if wiper relay is behind glove compartment, there are no manuals available
    You could call up BMW parts department and ask where that relay is. They'd have a diagram of it when they looked up the part number for you. Ask for a "price and availability" on that part and then ask if his/her book shows where it is so you can examine it prior to purchasing a new one (there's no exchanges on electronic parts, usually, if you open the package).

• fast7fast7 Posts: 2
    I got the computer problem fixed. An independent repair shop got a used navcomputer and replaced it. $780 plus hour shop labor/ Saved $2800.
  • wdeewdee Posts: 1
    I have an 02 745iL and have had this problem over and over. It was very sporadic and the dealer could not reproduce it when I took it in. Eventually it happened and I drove it to them to show them. A mechanic told me that it is due to overheating of the electronics (NAV,stereo amplifier) as most of them are in the trunk and I have a black car in Florida. He said that the electronics run in parallel so when one part messes up, they all do. Kinda like the old Christmas lights that once one bulb went, the whole strand is dead. They couldn't tell what was causing the problem, but he said there was a service bulletin about it and they installed a cooling fan back there. I have not had the problem since, and I'm hoping that it doesn't come back in the hot summer months.
  • told u i would let u know about service manual on dvd i got it for less than a chiltons type manual and it does what they said it would, has information on 'common' problems, like my problem w/wipers,keyed in symptoms and it says in the right inner fender wire harness gets chafed on metal plate,i have yet to pull inner fender but will let know if solved thanks again
  • Hi, I recently bought a 2001 740ia w/ 54k miles . I noticed that no matter what I set the temp to on the climate control the right passenger side always blows cold air. For example I set both temps (left and right) to 75 and left side will blow warm air while the right side is blowing cold air. Could anyone tell me if they have heard of this issue? what are the likely causes? how much should I expect to pay to have it repaired?

Thanks
  • In the last 4 months i have had the following fixed on my 2001 740 with only 60,000 miles on it:

1. NAV computer replaced
    2. Rear window regulator replaced
    3. Power steering hose replaced
    4. Radiator replaced

Is this typical of BMW quality? :mad: