Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wratpackwratpack Posts: 1
    Can someone please help me with some step-by-step instructions as to how to remove the radio from the dash of a 1990 bmw 735il.
    Or better still, point me in the right direction for solving my problem. It looks like the radio (and cd) are working fine but there is zero sound from the speakers. All fuses are OK, I have not yet checked the powewr into the booster amp (rear lhs of trunk)as I do not have the plug layout.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,648
    I believe that you just pry off two tabs, one on either side of the radio and insert a small allen wrench of the proper size into each of the two holes. This activates a little cam that expands or contracts, allowing you to pull out the radio. If that system isn't on your 735 ( I could be thinking of the earlier ones), then it's probably removed using those slider tools you can buy at Autozone, etc.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RADIO CODE before you remove the radio!!!!!
  • sjp1993sjp1993 Posts: 1
    Anyone please help, because BMW Dealer cannot. My 1998 740il shuts off when I press on the brake. In addition, when I put it in reverse it makes a loud knock. I took it to the dealer over 3 months ago (it is still there) and they cannot seem to figure out what is wrong with the car. At this point they told me they cannot fix it and wants me to pick it up. Please suggest who can fix this problem. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
  • rzorrillarzorrilla Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Have you figure what is going on?

r.zorrilla
  • tikocrtikocr Posts: 2
    Hello, yesterday I posted a question but I think it ended up in a different section of this forum, (I am new in town). I drive a 1991 BMW 750 iL and recently I had to replaced the P/S pump (used) and three original hoses. The strange thing is that at the beginning the power steering is hard and also makes a strange noise coming from somewhere bellow the left dashboard, but after a short while from driving the car, the power steering gets soft.
    Any ideas or suggestions of what to do about it? Your guidance will be very much appreciated.
    You might check the power steering pump fluid level for openers.
  • tikocrtikocr Posts: 2
    Thank you Mr. Shiftright for you advice. I will look into that, I will let you know what happened after is done. Thanks again
  • vicriosvicrios Posts: 2
    Did you replace the cup holder yourself? if so can you share how to do it? Thanx
  • prncessaoprncessao Posts: 2
    Hello I was reading over these messages because I also recently purchased a 2002 745i. I have had several issues that I just ignored and hoped they would go away since I have been under the impression my warranty is only 4yrs 50k miles and my car has 54k miles. I am i incorrect do I still have a warranty? Please help me. Because today I just can't take it and I know I probably can't afford right now to fix what has happened. The center console with the navi and all the bells is not ON. I don't know how it happened it was fine when I last drove it. Then a couple hours later I got back in the car to drive home and nothing I checked the fuses they all looked good turned the car on and off nothing. I don't know what is wrong. Please some one HELP! My husband is so upset because we paid so much money for this car called the Ultimate Driving Machine and it's been a nightmare especially since we traded are perfectly fine Mercedes 03 CLK. And got taken on the trade. :sick:
  • prncessaoprncessao Posts: 2
    Hello I was reading over these messages because I also recently purchased a 2002 745i. I have had several issues that I just ignored and hoped they would go away since I have been under the impression my warranty is only 4yrs 50k miles and my car has 54k miles. I am i incorrect do I still have a warranty? Please help me. Because today I just can't take it and I know I probably can't afford right now to fix what has happened. The center console with the navi and all the bells is not ON. I don't know how it happened it was fine when I last drove it. Then a couple hours later I got back in the car to drive home and nothing I checked the fuses they all looked good turned the car on and off nothing. I don't know what is wrong. Please some one HELP! My husband is so upset because we paid so much money for this car called the Ultimate Driving Machine and it's been a nightmare especially since we traded are perfectly fine Mercedes 03 CLK. And got taken on the trade.
  • texiana2texiana2 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know...My computer screen went blank (there are flashing lines going across it) and my radio will only stay on for 2 minutes, then I have to turn it off and on again for another 2 minutes. I took it in and they thought I was going to need a $2500 part for the computer that was NOT covered under the Certified warranty! They said it ties in with the computer prob. I'm bringing it in again today to have another person look at it. Anyone have any experiences with this sort of problem?
  • mevandemevande Posts: 190
    I have a 'mint' 1998 740i (Mint as in looks new). I have owned it for 3.5 years and it has 63K miles. What major expenditures should I look out for as the car goes to 100K miles? (and above)

Thanks

Mike
  • deepreddeepred Posts: 2
    I have a knocking noise that seems to be coming from the area that the intake manifold connects to the block. it is a 3.5 6 cyl. I am not certain this is where it is coming from but it seems to be. It isn't super loud, but it is certainly noticeable from 15 feet away from the car. It knocks at idle and increases accordingly with higher rpms, it doesn't really get any louder with an increase in throttle though. I was running 87 octane in it, just today I upped it to 93, could that have been it?. It has about 200,000 miles on it. I read so many thing on ignition coils and noisy injectors and rods, I really don't have a clue now. I am certainly hoping it isn't a rod. What are the characteristics of a knocking rod?
    do they knock on idle, I always thought they came in at higher rpms, or got louder with rpm increase.
    I tried taking off each plug wire one at a time and starting it but it was still present. I used a drumstick to my ear to locate it and it seemed a little less at the crackcase area and a louder around the intake area. Anyone that could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
  • deepreddeepred Posts: 2
    I narrowed this down to be what I believe is a very loud injector. anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Well if it IS an injector and not a valve, you can try to clean it. I doubt injector cleaner will work, you may have to take it out to a specialty shop that has the proper cleaning tool for injectors.
  • drgemaldrgemal Posts: 1
    Hi, I am going to pick up my dream car, 745li 2005 Alpine white. It only has 8,000 miles on it. I'm buying it for 60,000, is that a good price? It has the 4yr or 50,000 mile warranty on it, should I get the extended warranty? If so how much is it?
    You can use Edmunds' own appraisal software. It's very good! Use the "price with options" choice for a more accurate number.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/index.html
  • sadatxsadatx Posts: 70
    Hello,

Just got an 03 CPO 745 Li with abt 22k miles. Have had the vehicle for abt 3 weeks now. All is fine except the following.

When the car has been running (driving around for 20 min or so), I hear a slight knock coming from somewhere under the hood when the car is in park or idle. I also note the rpm drops from the normal 0.5 to abt 0.25 momentarily (maybe a 1/2 second or so but its corrected on its own). The knock and drop in rpm happen at the same time. Any ideas what this can be? When the car is in motion, all is fine - very smooth.

Also, I recently hit a pretty nasty bump in the road, causing some wheel alignment issues. I'm thinking of having some reputable tire center correct that, not the dealer. But friends have been telling me to go the dealer to get this corrected. Any input?

Thanks.
  • the navigation system and radio buttons will not respond. screen on, radio can be changed on steering wheel, but cannot change with menu button to cd or am- and no navigation- is it just a fuse? thanks everyone
  • rvorbaurvorbau Posts: 3
    Have the same problem, Exactly! Never have taken to the dealer. Been searching for days in various forums to find a fix. Nothing out there. Please let me know what the second opinion was/is.

Thanks