Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jayvisjayvis Posts: 76
    I currently drive a 2009 Lexus RX350. I wasn't really taken with the looks of the RX either but it has grown on me to the point that I now prefer it's styling over the BMW X3. I chose the Lexus over everything else because of my outstanding experiences with Toyotas and Lexus reputation for reliability. I owned a 325i for 3 years and had electrical and transmission issues. It, along with bad reviews of the X3 and X5 on these forums was enough to steer me away from another Bimmer. I'm happy with the RX350 so far (no issues, knock on wood) and am very impressed with our Lexus dealer's attention after the sale.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,096
    I can't dispute the quality & durability of Lexus. There is a vendor I buy from who drives an RX300 (maybe it is an '02 if I'm not mistaken) with over 325,000 miles.

Looking through my wife's X3 maintenance records. We took delivery of the X3 in July of 2007.

It went back to the dealer in September for a check engine light. Turned out to be a faulty carbon filter. The truck was in the shop for a day and my wife got a loaner and was no way inconvenienced.

The X3 did not return to the dealer until June of '08 for its first service. With over 15,000 miles on the odometer. Again, the truck was in and out of the shop in a day and my wofe was provided with a loaner car and not inconvenienced.

If that's unreliable to you, then I don't know what to tell you. Personally I would never own a Toyota or Lexus. I can't stand the floaty and completely isolated ride. Feels like you are driving your couch.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• mountain view bmw. i called and went to a few others but they don't have the x5 that i want with all the options i need. san rafael sonnen just told me 500 over invoice. how much below invoice do you think is good?

Thanks!
    To each his own. Some people prefer comfort and others prefer old go-carts.
  • pt838pt838 Posts: 16
    For all you Lexus lovers out there, this is the BMW forum. I agree with nyccarguy. I currently have an '08 X5 3.0. Love it. Previously had an 00' ML320 and a 03' ML350. Before getting the X5, I looked at and drove the RX350, it was very very disappointing in ride quality. Nothing special at all. It's just a Toyota Highlander with a Lexus grille. Also, the German car beats the Japanese car in electronic intergration. How do you run your iPod on you Lexus, with and Auxiliary cable? Finally, what are you paying for service at Lexus. I currently pay $0 for service (including brakes and wiper blades) for both my BMW's. So not only do I have better driving car, it cost me less to own.
    I'm not here to dog BMWs (I've owned one in the past). I was just chiming in on the reliability discussion. Your claim that your BMW costs less to own is incorrect and there is a lot of published and documented data out there that proves it. Believe me, BMW does not just give you the routine maintenance program they offer. You're paying for it in the upfront MSRP of the vehicle. Look at any total cost of ownership publication out there, and you'll find that the Lexus beats the BMWs easily. Besides, if someone buys the 'ultimate driving machine', why would he care if his iPod hooks up to it? Everyone has his or her own vehicle preferences and all vehicles have their own virtues.
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,876
    Thanks!

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• pt838pt838 Posts: 16
    No, No, No, you are not dogging BMW, but you are definitely SHILLING for Lexus. The points you make (total cost of ownership, etc) are direct quotes from what the Lexus and Mercedes sales person tells you. However, it you follow these discussions, nobody is paying MSRP here. For my 330Xi, the cost to buy was less than a IS250 (not IS 350) AWD. So where is the savings.

My point about is iPod is that, not only does BMW beats your Lexus in driving enjoyment it also beats the Lexus in entertainment features!!

Also, the funniest thing I seen recently are those Audi Q5 commercials that show all those lookalike RX's, so true

bottom line, go back to the Lexus Forum. Let us BMW people enjoy our own company!!!
    I apologize to pt838 and other loyal BMW enthusiasts. Since I've owned both (BMW and Lexus), I thought I'd share my experiences, good and bad, with potential new car buyers.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,096
    I think it is great that you're bringing your viewpoint & experiences. I in no way mean to say that BMWs don't have problems. If I had some of the awful BMW experiences you had I might not be so into the brand either.

You are right about the ride. Some like soft, some like a little harsh. It all depends what your perception is. My Dad has an '07 x5 3.0 with sports package and I don't think it rides harsh in any way. For my rear end, it is a little on the soft side.

Just curious, how often does your owners' manual say the RX has to be serviced? Have you checked with the dealer to see how much the service costs?

I know the BMW full maintenance isn't free & that they raised their service intervals significantly since they started offering "free" maintenance. It is built into the price of the car. If you look at how much some services cost for competing models like an ML350 or an Audi Q7 you'll always come out on top with the BMW.

As far as Lexus & Infiniti go, part of the beauty is that if you're leasing and you really want to, you can (I'm not recommending this) theoretically take the cars to Jiffy lube for an oil change.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I take my Lexus to our local Toyota dealer for routine maintenance. Oil change and tire rotation every 5000 miles or 6 months for $35. They use the same parts/oil and actually have more experience with the RX350 3.5L engine than the Lexus dealers.
  • miltimilti Posts: 14
    CarMan and/or Kyfdx,

1. My lease on my X5 is coming to an end. I'm interested in leasing another X5 (the 4.8) this month. Since I'm a returning BMW customer, what is April's money factor, residual value % for a 36 month, 15,000 mile lease. Are there any other values I should know or special lease options available. Edmunds "incentive list" for the X5 4.8 does not have any reported.

Thanks
  • I think you should get around $2000 below invoice. That's what they are selling for non diesel brand. If you wait few months then I am sure you will get this price or better...For regular 5 series car they are giving 0.9% apr for 60 months plus first 2 payments but for X5 it is 2.9% only. So they are holding around 1500+4000 (roughly) = 5500. So lot of room to lower the price....

Let us know how it goes...
    If your BMW dealer is selling X5s at $2000 under invoice without any Factory to dealer incentives, he's about to go out of business.
  • Hi guys
    I am planning on pulling the trigger on a x5d with premium package, cold weather package,rear climate package and third row seats with an MSRP of 59275 and an invoice of 54710. The offer price is 55K (290 over invoice).
    Am I getting a good deal or is there room to negotiate still.
    Thanks in advance.
  • I'm looking to make a deal on a 2009 X5 3.0 (9,000 miles on it) with an MSRP of $56,370 (Inovice $51,845). I'm thinking a fair purchase price would be around $45,000 ... any thoughts?
  • I just wanted to be clear, the following is a loaner, not a used car. It is not certified, but would be sold with original BMW factory warranty ... so that's how this 2009 got 9,000 miles on it.

I'm looking to make a deal on a 2009 X5 3.0 (9,000 miles on it) with an MSRP of $56,370 (Inovice $51,845). I'm thinking a fair purchase price would be around $45,000 ... any thoughts?
  • Thanks for the info. $2000 below invoice seems way too good. I went to 4 dealerships around my area and the best I got was about $6000 off MSRP which comparing to Edmunds invoice price is $115 over invoice. So I think it was a pretty good deal. Seems like alot of the BMW dealers think they are recession proof and don't like to negotiate. I found 2 out of the 4 to be pretty good at discounts and are not as stuck up. I went to checkout a 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS at a sticker price os $86,000 and they were offering it to me for $15,000 off sticker. I almost took it but really like BMWs more.
  • I think if you can spend extra $5,000, I think you can get brand new one for $50k. Better than with 9,000 miles. That's too high of mileage. I just bought a 2009 X5 4.8 very loaded sticker at $74 and I got it for $67 something. They were offering me a demo with only 450 miles at over 7k off sticker. So I think you can do better than that.