Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    If you are in the process of car shopping, using online forums and tools and plan to visit a dealer soon, a reporter would like to hear from you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Tuesday, November 13, 2012 and provide a few lines about your experience so far.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I am in a similar situation - looking at a 2013 5.0 , v similarly loaded. Was debating waiting on the 2014 but 2 reasons for not doing so; 1) Probably wont be able to get the same sort of deal vs the current model year 2) Have read several posts that strongly advise avoiding buying any BMW in it's first model year ie glitches etc.

I am looking to purchase rather than lease. Only last week I spoke to a couple of dealers asking when the last "opportunity" to place an order would be ie so as not to miss the final production cycle. They both said the same thing, which was approx April/May.

The spec I am looking at comes in around $76k - invoice is $70k - call me crazy but I am looking to pay $66 - $68 ish. In addition to the regular discounts (msrp is just that ie suggested!) they will defin have close out deals/incentives - as much as $3-4k (esp considering the MSRP of a vehicle like this ie it isn't a 328i !)

check out both of these sites: bmwconfig also nada

It will obviously help if the vehicle is in stock ie on the dealers lot, that said I live relatively close Spartanburg and the other posts really recommend pick up from there.

Let me know how you get on. I am looking to pull the trigger in Mar/Apr ,
  • What is the Holiday Credit for a 2012 X5 35d? Thanks.
  • I believe it is $1500.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    What is the Holiday Credit for a 2012 X5 35d?

Nothing, according to the BMW website and my dealer. But the $4,500 eco-credit keeps getting extended. So, as of right now, the net price of a X5d w/ $4,500 eco credit and a similarly equipped X5 3.5i w/ $1,500 holiday credit are almost identical. Which is still a lot better than the premium you pay for the diesel versions of the ML, GL, Q7 and Cayenne.
  • this is not true it specifically states 2012 x5d holiday credit is $1500"Click here to see
    edited November 2012
    This is not true, there is no holiday credit: Try here; then click on the finance (not lease) tab.

Actually, we are both right. For some reason, the $1,500 holiday credit only applies if you lease an X5d. But if you buy one, there is no holiday credit. Not sure why, as on other X5 models, you get it either way.
    A friend of mine looking to replace his 2008 X5 4.8i came over Saturday to take a look at our 2012 X5d and we drove each others' vehicle to the dealership 15 miles away.

I know the latest X5 5.0i is an upgrade in power from the 4.8i, but I was still surprised that the 2012 X5d feels every bit as powerful as the 4.8i at speeds that ranged from 20 to 80. It prompted me to look up some road tests to make sure it wasn't just wishful thinking on my part. Sure enough, MotorWeek agreed when they tested the X5d in 2009: http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2009_bmw_335d_2009_bmw_x5_xdrive35d

I'm going to predict that in 5 years (2017 model year), we may not have any more gas X5 models from BMW. The M-diesel that is available in Europe can match the performance of a gasoline X5M, while getting considerably better fuel economy than an X5 3.5i.

I'm trying to decide whether to take advantage of BMW's holiday credit to buy a 2013 M3. And pay a gas guzzler tax of $1,300 for the privilege of having a naturally aspirated V8 with a 8,300 rpm redline. To me, the 2014 M3 with a triple turbo 6 cylinder that will get 30% better gas mileage, but at the expense of some serious sports car "soul", is a tough trade-off. I believe that the V8 will become a bit of a purist classic, similar to the old air cooled 993 model 911's. . But for a 5,300 lb SUV that still handles better than some sport sedans, going all diesel makes all the sense in the world. As my buddy said, nothing nostalgic about a X5 4.8i that gets 10 mpg in the city and gets beat on the Beltway passing lane by a X5d.
  • riloh05riloh05 Posts: 15
    edited November 2012
    MSRP $61, 345(or something like that)
    Started deductions at $57k invoice
    $4500 eco credit
    $1500 holiday credit
    $1000 usaa credit
    $750 BMW loyalty credit
    $500 BMW app credit
    $49875...
    Did some additional negotiating to get to a number I was happy with. Signed paper work and drove off happy as could be. Had another dealership competing for my business as well. Better deal won but had a great experience with both dealerships.
    Thats a great deal, but not sure how you got to that bottom line. You've listed $8250 in credits; taking those off of the invoice would put you at $48,750, befor any "additional negotiating".

Also did you lease or buy? The BMW website lists the holiday credit of $1,500 only for a lease, not a purchase.
  • I leased and I ended up below the number you listed. There was 2850(roughly) in avp or avb money, hence the additional negotiation.
  • Hello! Did you get the 2012 or the 2013? You did good!
  • 2012. I am not sure if the 13 diesels are out yet.
  • congrats. awesome deal. i am shopping for '12 x35d. what is apv or apb money?
  • I do not quite know the exact details but I do know it contains holdback... and that was the additional that I was able to negotiate to close the deal. Good luck and we can not be happier with our X5 35d.
  • I am looking to purchase demo 2012 X5 35d with 9,000 miles.
    Original MSRP was around $65,000.
    What deal can i get.
    Any ideas.............?
    edited November 2012
    Personally, I would pay no more than $45-47k.

With the current incentives, you could order a brand new X5d to your exact specifications for close to $10,000 off MSRP ($4,500 eco credit, $1,500 holiday & other credits, plus dealer discounts to $500-$1000 over invoice BEFORE applying those BMW credits). That would put you at $55,000 for the equivalent brand new car, with the new car smell and only you to blame if it isn't broken in properly. Not to mention that if you order a new car, you have the option of (free) Performance Delivery Center pick-up like I did with our X5d in September - a truly great experience.

I know asking the dealer to take another $8-10k off for a demo with 9,000 miles is likely to get a "stick it" response. However, that's the only way I would take a used car that every TD&H has driven, likely without any regard to proper break-in procedures. I'd actually rather buy a used car from a private responsible owner than a dealer demo. At $8-10k off, that's a decent discount and, if you are comfortable that this is a respectable/responsible dealership that has taken care to make sure the vehicle wasn't abused, is a fair deal.

A price of $50k+ would be an insult to my - and hopefully your - intelligence. Unfortunately, there are enough uniformed buyers that might think $12-15k off MSRP on a dealer demo is a great deal - without realizing that they could get $10k off on a brand new, custom ordered vehicle. And if the dealer can sucker one of them in to take a demo for $52k, your $45k offer is likely to elicit a laugh. In which case, order a new one and plan a trip to Spartanburg.
  • I am looking to purchase a 2013 BMW X5 xDrive35i with 3 options:
    LEATHER
    Heated Front Seats
    Navigation System
    I live in Northern Virginia.
    The vehicle is in stock.

Dealer is offering for $49K before all the incentives out of the door. Please help.

I will share my info with the community after I close deal
  • Thank you so much for your honest opinion.
    I really appreciate.
  • I am looking to purchase a 2013 BMW X5 xDrive35i with 3 options:
    LEATHER
    Heated Front Seats
    Navigation System
    I live in Northern Virginia.
    The vehicle is in stock.

Dealer is offering for $49K before all the incentives out of the door.

Please help. is this a good deal?
    edited November 2012
    I don't have time to do the math for your particular vehicle, but here's the formula for you: take invoice price from Edmunds, add $500+/-, subtract all of the incentives and then your own state taxes. That should be your "out the door" price.

Everyone qualifies for different incentives - i.e. I get BMW loyalty (now), but not USAA. Holiday is for everybody. Also, taxes vary state by state. As long as the dealer is discounting the vehicle to something approaching $500 above invoice and THEN subtracting all of the incentives, you are getting a good deal. $1000 over invoice, decent deal. More than $1,000 over invoice, not so good. Just don't let them use the incentives BEFORE they discount the car to that figure. For example, if you qualify for $2,500 in incentives, your target price should be $1,500 to $2,000 UNDER invoice; plus taxes and registration.
  • I have a potential deal in place for a 2012 x5 35d with about 8,800 miles on it. Options are Cold Weather, Navigation, Running Boards. MSRP 60,500. The deal would be for $48,000 + tax. Can anyone share their thoughts on this particular deal?
    Bad deal. Invoice is $55,750; you could buy a brand new one for $51-52k+/-, given holiday and eco credits. Used one with 8800 miles should be at least 15% less, or somewhere in $44k range.

Other bad deal = weird options. Navigation without full premium package is $1,900 alone; premium package that includes navigation os only $1,600 more for leather, keyless entry, memory seats, adjustable steering column, rearview camera, dimming mirrors, etc. Terrible deal to get nav by itself. Cold weather is also a waste, IMO. Heated front seats are standard. CWP = heated rear seats and headlight washers. I'd take the Premium package and bag the CWP for a better vehicle.
  • Thanks for the reply! I was on the brink of making this deal but had some reservations still. The options did seem weird but the car is like band new so I was still thinking it was worth it. Are some dealers still ordering new x5d's? If so, do you know of any dealer that will?
  • rleebb00rleebb00 Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    I thought this was a good deal until I read most of the messages in this thread. I am purchasing around Chicago. All models are the 2013 X5 35i Premium that have convenience, cold weather, navigation, and running boards. The lowest I've been able to get is $54,500+tax. I put this up against 4 different dealers. I found a used 2012 (same specs above) and negotiated it down to $47,550. I really wanted $46,000 but am about to go ahead with aforementioned price. The used model also has 18,500 miles. I kind of now think I should still be shooting for $46,000. Can I get some advice please?
    In my area (DC Metro) as of a couple of weeks ago, BMW of Silver Spring still had 1-2 order slots left for the 2012 X5d. By now they may have an allocation of slots for a 2013 X5d. Check around your area.

And if you are remotely within driving distance of the Spartanburg Performance Delivery Center, look into that option for ordering the car from your local dealer, flying down and picking it up there. BMW puts you (and spouse/other) for a night at the Marriott the night before, you get a morning at the track covering skidpad, ABS braking and actual mini-formula one track laps, all at the wheel of their cars, plus the off-road course that will show you thngs on the X5 like hill-hold and other features you would never use in that way on your own. Followed by lunch, factory tour, BMW museum tour. Take 1-2 days to drive home. It's free, and the ONLY way I will ever buy another BMW, period.
    edited November 2012
    Personally, I don't think even $46k for a 2012 with 18,000 miles compared to a brand new 2013 for $54.5k is a good deal. I don't care what the "blue book" or anything else says, I think you should be getting 20% off the price of a new car. That's consistent with 1st year depreciation and 18k miles. That would put my target price at $43.5k.

Also - and I respect that everyone has their own opinions - but I just can't see the value of buying an X5 3.5i today over a X5 3.5d with the $4,500 eco credit. With the options you specified, a new X5d would be $52-53k after discounts and incentives or $1,500+ LESS than the X5 3.5i. I was just at a Porsche dealer last night and they told me their Cayenne diesels are flying off the lot at an MSRP that is $2-3k MORE than their gas model. We are getting real world 40% better fuel economy than our old MDX and the power of the diesel on the highway rivals the previous X5 V8. If you have considered it and rejected it for some reason, so be it. But it's a much better value IMO, considering lower up front price, much better fuel economy (well in excess of the current diesel price premium over premium gas) and likely higher future resale value. I may not quite be ready for a diesel 911 or Cayman S, but I will never own a gas SUV again in my lifetime.
  • rleebb00rleebb00 Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Thanks Habitat. Although I doubt they'll go that low I'm definitely going to shoot much lower than the $47588. Also, when you say 20% off a new car are you referring to the discount off of the negotiated price or MSRP? The MSRP on the new models I looked at were $61K so if I was going off of that the used car would be a good deal. I'm assuming you do mean negotiated.

I'm no expert but did some research on the gas vs diesel debate when I began my search. One of the disadvantages was the higher initial cost of a diesel, but that is obviously addressed with the eco credit and savings on efficiency. If it weren't for the eco credit it definitely wouldn't be worth it to me as positive savings doesn't seem to start hitting for almost 4-5 years and I've been averaging 3 year ownership. The items that concern can be found here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question399.htm. Although this is only one source I've seen these disadvantages on several sites. Given the information you've provided and the opinions of others I will take extra time to think about the deal on the used car and possibly owning a diesel. Thanks again.
    edited November 2012
    Your assumption is correct, I meant 20% off the negotiated price that you would actually pay for a new 2013, is what I would peg the fair discount for a 2012 with 18k miles.

As far as the diesel vs. gas decision, again that's a personal choice and please don't take my "opinion" as attempting to dictate one is right and the other wrong. That said, almost all of the 8 "problems" contained in the link you posted look like they came from 1982 not 2012:

(1) Diesel engines, because they have much higher compression ratios (20:1 for a typical diesel vs. 8:1 for a typical gasoline engine), tend to be heavier than an equivalent gasoline engine. True, but they are also made out of cast iron and tend to last longer than gas engines (see advantages) Plus, we are already talking about a 5,000+lb SUV, not a 2,900 lb sports car. The 200-250 pound difference in engine and vehicle weight is not a significant disadvantage. It would be in a Porsche Cayman, not a Porsche Cayenne.

(2) Diesel engines also tend to be more expensive. Not with the current $4,500 eco-credit. And even without the eco credit, I would estimate the fuel savings for us in 50,000 miles to be $3,000+/-. We plan to keep it 100k+. You can do your own math based upon your driving habits and fuel prices in your area.

(3) Diesel engines, because of the weight and compression ratio, tend to have lower maximum RPM ranges than gasoline engines. This makes diesel engines high torque rather than high horsepower, and that tends to make diesel cars slow in terms of acceleration. The X5 3.5i has 300hp/300 ft/lbs. The X5d has 265 hp/425 ft.lbs. I'll take that trade off all day long in a SUV. The X5d goes from 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, at most about 0.5 second slower than the 3.5i. Versus 8.6 for my former 1984 Toyota Supra. And at least a second faster than the 2009 X5 3.0i. The highway passing power is X5 4.8i competitive. PLENTY QUICK for an SUV.

(4) Diesel engines must be fuel injected, and in the past fuel injection was expensive and less reliable. DUH - Say what?? Maybe in 1970, but I don't think you can find a new non fuel injected (carburator) car in the first or second world. And if you did, push it off a cliff. Everything is fuel injected today. Even my sneakers.

(5) Diesel engines tend to produce more smoke and "smell funny." Not any more. Except for my sneakers.

(6) Diesel engines are harder to start in cold weather and if they contain glow plugs, diesel engines can require you to wait before starting the engine so the glow plugs can heat up. Not any more, no glow plugs in any vehicles I looked at (Audi, VW, Mercedes, BMW)

(7) Diesel engines are much noisier and tend to vibrate. Not any more. I can (barely) tell from the noise that I'm in diesel accelerating around town, but on highway cruising, the X5d is quieter than our old MDX, especially given that it's abundant torque means that it doesn't need to downshift as much on moderate to steep grades.

(8) Diesel fuel is less readily available than gasoline. Not a problem in our area. Made less so by the extended range - 600+ miles on the highway.

Good luck whatever way you go, but give yourself a test drive or two. You might feel differently than me and stick with the X5 3.5i, - but at least with a test drive you can form your own opinion, not rely on an article that looks like it was plucked out of a 1980 issue of Motor Trend.
  • toy4metoy4me Posts: 13
    Hello Everyone,

I would like some help. I'm in the process of negotiating for a 2013 X5 3.5i Premium. The numbers the dealer is using aren't matching what I see on the Edmunds True Market Value section. I would be ordering the car with the Convenience, Luxury Seating, Premium Sound, and Technology packages, plus running boards and BMW apps. They told me I could have the car for $500 over invoice. To me, that means the invoice price on the car, plus the invoice prices on the packages, plus $500. Is that the correct way of figuring it?

According to the Edmunds TMV, that should total $59,780 (including the $895 destination fee). If I add $500 to that, it totals $60,280. They are quoting me $61,090. Am I missing something, or are they adding almost $1000 somewhere? The MSRP after packages/options is $65,270. Is there anywhere else I can go to view what the invoice price on this car would be?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    A