Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3

Comments

• stehersteher Posts: 37
    Here are some pics of my Audi A2. It's competitor to MB's A-class here in Europe. It's built with Aluminum nad has a 1.4liter-diesel-engine with 90 hp. 0-60 time is around 10 sec and top-speed is 117 mph. Mileage is around 5 liters/100km. It costs around 26K Euros, leather, 17"-wheels, S-line package, Navigation etc included.

http://carpassion.com/de/usergarage.php?no=339
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    A2 looks nice. Any chance it will make its way to the US?
    No, because production ends in 2005. There were/are not enough people willing to pay so much money for such a 'small' car.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    Yeah that is quite a lot of money for a small car. That could just about buy you an A4 here.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Posts: 322
    not in the US, land of the SUV...

I saw an A3 in Phoenix a few weeks back doing some stress testing, I guess. I looked very nice, upscale and very Audi from the front, and all hatchback/grown-up Golf from the back.

Hurray!

Any chance they could squeeze the 134hp Diesel from the Passat into that bay and you would have a very cool ride that upgrades from the 100hp Golf nicely.

Anyone know what engines they plan to launch here in the US in the A3? I assume the 1.8T will be here, but what else?
    Over here Audi puts the following engines in the A3:
    - 1.6 105 hp
    - 1.6 FSI 115 hp
    - 2.0 FSI 150 hp
    - 3.2quattro 250 hp
    - 1.9 TDI 105 hp
    - 2.0 TDI 140 hp

Following engines are planned:

-2.0 TFSI 200 hp
    -2.0 TDI ~165 hp

No idea which models will come to the US, but from what I've heard only the 5-door-version will make it to you. It's will be called A3 'Sportsback'.

I've ordered a 2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI and will take delivery in 4 weeks. I'll post some pics.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Posts: 322
    I am just a bit jealous...140hp diesel A3

If it priced under $27k, I might just be able to do it.

As it is, might have to reconsider a Passat Diesel or hang on to my car for another 24 months. 2007 model year will be the year of diesels in the US...as we move to the cleaner fuels.

But then again, I will have wasted about 1,000 gallons of fuel, if not more.
    looks like it'll accelerate the A3 REALLY fast!
    0-60 time for the 3.2 quattro is 6.3. But I have some Info, that there will be a 280 hp S3 and a 350 hp RS3. Don't know if these infos are true.

The 2.0 TDI is priced around 24K Euros.
  • eman5eman5 Posts: 110
    I just saw pictures on the web of the 5-door Audi's bringing over here next year and it looks like... a Chevy Malibu Maxx.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    I don't think I'm seeing that.

Weird boxy thing with outre detailing:

Tasty smaller version A4 Avant:
    http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/25237

I guess you could say they're both wagons... }-]

Right now I'm focusing on the S4 Avant as the next gotta have it, but I won't be ready to shop for about 20 months! So by that time, I'm really hoping an S3 Sportback will be here. The size is perfect and the styling is Audi. Only thing I can't stand is the new grille treatment, but supposedly the tuners already have a fix in a body-colored bumper fill.

Bring it on, says I.
  • carman123carman123 Posts: 71
    Germancarfans.com reports that the A3 will have 5 speed manual and 5 speed automatic for 2.0T, and a 6 speed DSG for 3.2 model. Other sources such as VWvortex and Audiworld report 6 speed transmissions for all models. Also, the pricing for the A3 will be interesting. Reports are stating that it will start around $25,000 for FWD 2.0T models. I think this is too high given that the A4 starts at around $26,000. Why would Audi price the A3 and A4 so close together? The Golf/Jetta and the Passat have about a $3000 difference. Audi needs to price the A3 significantly lower than the A4 imho.
  • I saw an Audi A3 in Phoenix a few weeks back...and I can tell you that it looked nothing like a Malibu Maxx...more like a nicer Golf or a trimmed A4...I wouldn't be too worried.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    ...I doubt that Audi really can go much lower on the A3 price without losing money. I'd guess that you really have to compare it to the A4 Avant where the A3 would have more of a price advantage.

Frankly I don't care for the looks of the "guppy-grill" A3. I think that the A4 Avant is much snappier looking. OTOH, the A3 with the 3.2 engine and AWD might have a real performance advantage... especially in an S3 variant. Otherwise I will probably stick with the A4 series.

Byron
    02 1.8t Avant QMSP
    Here is the link to the official Audi pics of the Sportback.

http://www.audi.com/de/de/erlebniswelt/unterhaltung/multimedia_ga- lerie/bildgalerie/bildgalerie.jsp

This version of the A3 will make it to the USA.
    With this new model also comes a new 2.0T-engine, producing 200hp, also available with the 6-speed-DSG. Another engine for The US will be the 3.2 quattro (6-speed manual/DSG). Base price for the 3.2quattro will be around 30K.
    30K base price for 3.2 quattro sounds about right. 25K for base 2.0T FWD sounds 2 to 3 K high to me.
    I'm still not warming up to it. I like the A4 grille better.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,601
    Weird thing is, I'm starting to like it. I suspect the A3Q will be about the same size/weight as my '98 A4 Avant.

Make mine a 2.0T with DSG, Liquid Silver

More pix/specs and news...

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/audi_news/article_840.shtm- - l

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

I'm still not there on the grille, but if Tarik is right, and the tuners are ready...

That side shot is glorious. Just what the doctor ordered.

I wonder if a 4.2 would fit in there...
    }-]
    look great. I'm starting to warm up to the waterfall front grille. May 2005 introduction? When was BMW going to introduce the 2-Series? 2007, I last heard.
    Here are some pics of my ebonyblack Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-line:

http://www.audi4ever.at/tb/auto.php?auto=1612&type=0&user- - =

Click on the button "Bilder" at the top of teh page... :-)
    [typing, in a jealous rage]
    "Damn furriners!"

;-)

Looks great. Still missing a couple doors for my tastes, but this is a car to desire, IMO!
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Posts: 139
    Steher....love your A3.

The interior to me looks more like an A4 Cab than a regular A4 (round vents, etc...)

anyway, its a fat car and I can't wait till I get to sell 'em
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,601
    about the front end of your (very nice!)A3. Although it's an '05 model it appears to have the divided grille (like on an '04 A4/A6) rather than the Big Mouth look of the new '05 A6, which all '05 Audis were supposed to get.

What's the story?

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

The 3-door version of the A3 will get the new grille in 2006 from what I know. And not all Audis will get the new grille in 2005, too. The A8 is supposed to keep it's divided grille (except the W12 has the big one), and the A4/s4 Cabrio won't get the divdied grille, too. But sooner or later all Audis will have thsi sooo good looking feature!
    The Audi UK site gallery has been updated for anyone who wants to take a look.

I like the idea of a DSG 3.2 Sportback, but is there any buzz on a potential S3 Sportback? Sure would be fun to drop into that 5.5 sec 0-60 range.

They've got 18 months to get it here. I like the GW green with a tan interior.

Please?

Audi?

Please? :-)
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Posts: 109
    Any idea of the dimensions of 5 door A3 {length , width, weight }
    See germancarfans.com. They have an in depth article on the A3 dated 7-19-04 that has all specs including engine and transmission combos, gear ratios, performance and fuel economy numbers, dimensions and curb weights. However, you will need to convert the numbers from the metric system to our old fashioned USA units.
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Posts: 59
    The A3 5-door SportBack is basically the same platform as the upcoming VW Golf V.

Overall Length: 4286 mm
    Wheelbase: 2578 mm
    Height: 1423 mm
    Width: 1765 mm
    Width w/ mirror:1959 mm
    Front track: 1531 mm
    Rear track: 1515 mm
    Front Headroom: 970 mm
    Rear Headroom: 938 mm

Can't find the legroom measurement, but Front legroom is the same as the current Golf/Jetta, and the Rear legroom is about 2.5 inches longer than the current Golf/Jetta.

2FastDre.
  • First drive impressions from the October issues of several of the major car magazines have been published. They all seem to estimate 25k as the base price for the FWD, manual 2.0 turbo. By the time the A3 gets typically equipped with sunroof, metallic paint, tiptronic or DSG, leather, and heated seats--the price would be 29k plus. This would not include quattro AWD, bose stereo, zenons or other options that some buyers will want. Add these options and the price climbs to 32k plus. This is way too high! And it is definitely too close to the A4, which people will perceive to be a step up in the Audi line. The A3 is supposed to attract young buyers to the brand. Young buyers can't afford this.
    I bet Audi will blame lack of sales on the fact that it is a hatchback, and we Americans prefer sedans. I've heard this song and dance before, and I don't buy it. IMO, there is a market for hatches. But they have to price it right. Bottom line: base price needs to be closer to 22k with a typically equipped version at 26-27k for the FWD 2.0T. Otherwise it will flop. And high pricing will be the reason.
    Just imagine how expensive the 3.2 version will be when fully loaded with all options including navigation system. I would guess 38k or more, which is ridiculous.