Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    making the Audi brand more affordable naturally bring in younger buyers, as more people with less income can finally sign and drive an Audi?
  • Since I still can't gt past the $30k mark, or even the $25k mark without hassle...most of the cars I love and treasure are just a bit out of reach...but the ideas of Saab 9-2X and Audi A3 might have me saving up.

Then again, I just read a sweet heart review of the new Volvo S40. I might have to go back and re-evaluate that one, since I liked the older version well enough to consider buying it. The new one is supposed to finally put Volvo on the field with the A4s, Passats, and 9-3s of the world, and be an affordable option to the S60, 3-series and C-series.

I do think the Audi A3 is a good looker though, well worth considering if they keep it affordable for the intenders of the market. Those people who would "if only."
    seems nice to me, along with the S40. The 9-3 is nice, and you can grab one under $30K. (Linear model)
  • is ugly...they have posted some spy shots on the Edmund's 1-series discussion and I have to say...yuck!

Check that one off the list. Looks too much like the old Z3 Coupe, which had odd proportions to me...I don't like a car that looks like out of proportion.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    I've seen two A3s driving through my neighborhood in LA now. A three door and a five door, both black. Really sharp looking. Obviously Audi is serious about bringing it to our market.
  • stehersteher Posts: 37
    Hey redrluv,

it's not possible to see a NEW 5-door A3 in LA, because the 5-door A3 doesn't exist yet, even here in Germany. Perhaps it was the old model built from 1996-2003?!
    It was the new body style for sure and had five doors. Didn't look big enough to be the A4 wagon and the 3 door was following close behind. Although, I only got a good close-up look at the three door when I saw it again a week later.

I have heard that the US market is only getting the 5 door so maybe it is being tested now? I was very surprised to see both really.
  • fineurfineur Posts: 1
    A current A4 owner, I have seen many A3s in Europe and they are very attractive. Also attractive and a bit smaller is the A2, which has gained in popularity in the last couple of years. Have seen many more of both vehicles on recent visits to Sweden and Norway. Predict they will be a hit in the US, particularly as higher gas prices bring Americans into the 21st century.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Posts: 322
    back open...anyone have any info to share on the A3?
    What kind of car is this? I read somewhere a few years back that Audi claimed the A2 could get 100 MPG or something.
    Here are some pics of my Audi A2. It's competitor to MB's A-class here in Europe. It's built with Aluminum nad has a 1.4liter-diesel-engine with 90 hp. 0-60 time is around 10 sec and top-speed is 117 mph. Mileage is around 5 liters/100km. It costs around 26K Euros, leather, 17"-wheels, S-line package, Navigation etc included.

http://carpassion.com/de/usergarage.php?no=339
    A2 looks nice. Any chance it will make its way to the US?
    No, because production ends in 2005. There were/are not enough people willing to pay so much money for such a 'small' car.
    Yeah that is quite a lot of money for a small car. That could just about buy you an A4 here.
    not in the US, land of the SUV...

I saw an A3 in Phoenix a few weeks back doing some stress testing, I guess. I looked very nice, upscale and very Audi from the front, and all hatchback/grown-up Golf from the back.

Hurray!

Any chance they could squeeze the 134hp Diesel from the Passat into that bay and you would have a very cool ride that upgrades from the 100hp Golf nicely.

Anyone know what engines they plan to launch here in the US in the A3? I assume the 1.8T will be here, but what else?
    Over here Audi puts the following engines in the A3:
    - 1.6 105 hp
    - 1.6 FSI 115 hp
    - 2.0 FSI 150 hp
    - 3.2quattro 250 hp
    - 1.9 TDI 105 hp
    - 2.0 TDI 140 hp

Following engines are planned:

-2.0 TFSI 200 hp
    -2.0 TDI ~165 hp

No idea which models will come to the US, but from what I've heard only the 5-door-version will make it to you. It's will be called A3 'Sportsback'.

I've ordered a 2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI and will take delivery in 4 weeks. I'll post some pics.
    I am just a bit jealous...140hp diesel A3

If it priced under $27k, I might just be able to do it.

As it is, might have to reconsider a Passat Diesel or hang on to my car for another 24 months. 2007 model year will be the year of diesels in the US...as we move to the cleaner fuels.

But then again, I will have wasted about 1,000 gallons of fuel, if not more.
    looks like it'll accelerate the A3 REALLY fast!
    0-60 time for the 3.2 quattro is 6.3. But I have some Info, that there will be a 280 hp S3 and a 350 hp RS3. Don't know if these infos are true.

The 2.0 TDI is priced around 24K Euros.
  • eman5eman5 Posts: 110
    I just saw pictures on the web of the 5-door Audi's bringing over here next year and it looks like... a Chevy Malibu Maxx.