Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3

Comments

• abqhudsonabqhudson Member Posts: 14
    Anybody know where I can find online the Maintenance schedule for a 2006 A3? Thanks for nay help.

Jim
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    One of the marvels of LA CA roads is engineers' desire to build in concrete dips to channel rain water across our streets, or (when repaving) to "crown" roads, leaving big dips near the crosswalks. And of course, there are the ever increasing number of speed bumps.

Can A3'ers tell me please how your cars fare with these? I've noted ground clearance of A3 is pretty low (4" for 2.0T, less for 3.2).
  • ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    By the time the 4 door GTI is available, we will be talking about '07s so free maintenance will not be an issue. As for interior, it depends on how much more the A3 costs. I like the A3 interior, but if the $$$ difference gets too great....bye, bye A3
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I believe that the difference in cost won't be more than $3K- and the A3 has better driving dynamics.

Remember, Audi brought the A3 to America for one (among others) big reason: stab Volkswagen. They brought us the Phaeton, so Audi had to strike back- and the A3 is doing surprisingly well here. It's already sold 4,000 units, so I'm sure that by the end of the year they'd have reached the 10,000 mark. It really is a nifty little car, and a better value than the A4 sedan.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330

Going to the Chicago "Streets of Tomorrow" event next month... can't wait to drive the Q7 (and get driven in the RS4 :P)!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    "Remember, Audi brought the A3 to America for one (among others) big reason: stab Volkswagen."

Seems doubtful... Doesn't VW own Audi?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My understanding was Audi is a __division__ of VW (VW acquired them a number of years back).

Various web interviews made with Audi execs and my experience at Audi Streets of Tomorrow suggest Audi uses excess VW capacity as well as their own factories to build product, and uses many VW parts in their cars.

The A3 3.2 is essentially a VW R32 with 5 doors, Audis' AWD/suspension calibration, and Audi interior trim. The A3 is a VW GTI with 5 doors and similar Audi additions.

Audi seems to stand for Luxo-Performance, and their reliability is improving. Remaining problems are high production cost, and a small, spotty dealer network.

VW? Not sure what their message is - it's been very confused lately. Sadly, their reliability and dealer attitude remain near rock bottom. But their new exec claims he will fix that.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Audi is a part of VW. There's no "stab VW" angle in releasing the A3. the A3 is supposed to be audi's entry-level car. it's the bridge to the bigger audi's. in europe the A3's everywhere and they were hoping to recreate the Gen y consumer desire here. so far it's getting attention but not in the droves they expected.

Saying the GTI and A3 are essentially the same car is pretty ridiculous if you've driven the two vehicles. They're markedly different in how they feel when pressed hard. Tha A3 definitely has the more button-down feel - its lower center of gravity and decidely different sheetmetal makes the driving experience different from the GTI. Smaller windows, lower seating position, different dash/console layout makes the experience wholly different.

Drive them both. Just because cars have the same drivetrain/chassis that doesn't mean they feel the same. Would you say a Jetta 1.8T feels the same as the TT? Same engine/chassis underneath...decidely different feeling to how the cars drive.
    Any theories as to why Gen Y is not picking up on the A3?

At the LA CA Audi "Streets of Tomorrow", I saw a mixture of Boomers and Gen X'ers - not too many Gen Y's . The "gotta drive em" cars then were the RS4 and the A3.
    Actually, I believe that in bringing the A3 to America, there was a bit of an intention to steal sales from the GTI- after all, VW invaded Audi territory with both the Toureg luxury SUV and the Phaeton sedan.

I never said the A3 on a world basis is there to hurt VW- just in the U.S.

And yes, the A3 does drive better, has a slightly nicer interior, is better-looking to most (less chunky), and has optional AWD to the GTI and R32's FWD (does the R32 have AWD? I forgot).

And Audi has a family of its own. Here is VW AG:

Audi - Bentley - Bugatti - Skoda - Volkswagen

Audi AG:

Audi - Lamborghini - SEAT
    VW AG purchased Audi in 1964. It's been 42 year! No decision at Audi is made without a greenlight from VW AG. This is akin Mazda making a decision - Ford gives the greenlight. Or Pontiac moving without GN's consent. Mazda does as Ford says. Likewise, Audi is just another offshoot of VW AG; and thus totally under their thumb.

The A3 has always been made from Golf/Jetta/TT underpinnings. Same basic chassis/engines, just the specific tuning of each car is aimed at its target market.

In 2005 Porsche bought a 18-20% stake in VW AG (and thus Audi too). VW AG owns VW, Seat, Skoda, Bugatti, Lambo, Audi, NSU and Bentley.

R32 or 36 when it gets to the USA will have 4motion.
    1. I never said that Audi was an independent company- I knew that VW had to approve all the decisions!

2. I know the A3 is based on the Golf/TT/Jetta/Fabia/etc.

3. I know Porsche bought a large stake in VW- but that doesn't mean that they have anything to do with the business decisions (unless it involves them like the next Cayenne)

4. NSU isn't a company any more (it was one of Audi's precursors)

5. Okay- didn't no the Rabbolf R3-something had 4Motion

It's just a bit odd that within the same company, there are so many competitors:

Phaeton vs. A8L- and A8L usually wins

911 Turbo vs. Gallardo vs. upcoming R8

VW lightweight convertible vs. Porsche Boxster vs. Audi TT

VW affordable "four door luxury coupe" vs. Porsche Panamera (I know the Porsche will be more upscale)

Toureg vs. Cayenne vs. Q7

GTI/R32 vs. A3

Murcielago LP640 vs. Veyron

Wow... that is a LOT of competitors!

:P
    Since Audi 3.2 S-line _is_ a VW R32 (with 2 extra doors and Audi enhancements), perhaps VW will wait until the R36 is ready to reintroduce its own AWD "Golf" sports coupe?

Then again, if Audi is mondo backordered for the A3 3.2, all bets are off?
    I think you're seeing competition where there really isn't any. Yes with the low-level GTI and A3 you might see some crosshopping. But on the high end...nah.

Porsche, Audi and VW have distinct buyers. Someone really enamored with Porsche wouldn't seriuously consider a Gallardo and that goes the other way too. The Boxster doesn't compete for the same buyers as the TT or the Eos.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    "Someone really enamored with Porsche wouldn't seriuously consider a Gallardo..."

Find nail: hit on head. Well done.

Still, the point is well taken that we have a very competent manufacturing group with a bit of an identity crisis and some internal conflicts because of that. Crux of the issue, IMO, was trying a little too hard to take the VW marque a little too far up the food chain.

Just MO, of course.
    Perhaps that's why VW cancelled its Phaeton. As VW has other divisions making high end automobiles, why dilute its focus from affordable euro driving machines?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I think they canceled the Phaeton, because they only sold about ten of them each month....

It is a great looking car, though.... When I see a slightly used one for half-price.... hmmmmmmm

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Given thet Crispin Porter + Bogusky advertising agency has apparently helped drive VW GTI sales through the roof and boosted overall VW appeal (in spite of its continued problems with reliability, etc.);

I wonder when Audi will make use of their talents. Perhaps they could work similar magic on the A3 ?

A good article in Business Week explains more.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers who have purchased All-Wheel-Drive vehicles, or would consider doing so next time they are in the market. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your level of interest in AWD.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You're right for most, but I didn't mean the Eos- I said "upcoming lightweight convertible", or something along those lines.

VW has been planning a Boxster-killer for the past two or three years, which debuted as the "Concept R" idea, and because the TT is also a Boxster competitor, I consider all three to be in the same class.

I know that people wouldn't cross-shop most of those cars, but that doesn't make them non-competitors.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I think the Opensky is way overpriced. I also think it is invasive to the cabin room and takes away maybe a cubic foot of head room (I noticed about a 1.5" difference in ceiling height (bottom of headliner) with the opensky vs. w/o it.) I'm 6'2" tall, and when sitting upright and straight, my hair (which is short) was skimming the opensky headliner level. W/o Open Sky, I have plenty of clearance over my head, and a much more realistically spacious cabin/head room area.

I've heard people say that the opensky gives them a sense of a more spacious cabin, but I'd rather have a truly more spacious cabin, rather than the appearance of one (and for that matter, save over a grand in dollars).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    At least Audi did try to provide some rear seat headroom by sculpting the roof liner just behind the open sky, and the white/ivory roof shade looks much better than the black shades a lot of other vendors use.
    But in any A3 it's pretty cramped in back.
  • selandauselandau Member Posts: 2
    Greetings. Has anyone figured out how to change the code or dashboard light switch so the U.S. Audi A3 can have daytime running lights similar to A3s delivered in Canada and Europe? Thanks
  • bruintoobruintoo Member Posts: 4
    What do you mean? I can turn off the DRLs on my A3 if I want to. For those with Premium Pkg or Convenience Pkg, the switch is included to turn it on or off.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Audi does have a new 19 inch wheel that will be optional with the S line package for 2007.

It's says it's a 20 spoke wheel, so it might look like the the A3 3.2 style wheel.
  • selandauselandau Member Posts: 2
    I have the Sport Package, and it doesn't include DRLs. However, I am seeking that capability and hope there's a simple solution that appears among A3s for Canadian delivery.
    Is this huge wheel cast or forged?

What size tire does the wheel have (a lower profile than 45)?
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    You made your point; the OpenSky isn't for you. I value the large roof opening on the 5 door body style without having to compromise with a convertible body. It is an integral part of the car for me, part of the A3's unique personality.

Any car I own (especially in this price range) needs to have a really nice roof, otherwise I just don't consider it, it's that important to me. I generally have the sunroof open nearly every day. My preference is for the type of moonroof that does not open into the headliner, but slides outside the car. I had a '95 Integra, and although there was not a lot of headroom to work with, the moonroof intrusion was minimal. When open, the the moonroof glass formed a "wing" that seemed to keep the car more stable than a just a hole in the roof.

The SkyRoof really helps create a nicer character for this car. Without it, many buyers would look for similar performance, but more bang-for-the-buck from lower-priced and more reliable competition.
    learned it's shod with a 35 profile tire. About as low as you can go, I guess.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Maybe if this was 1982 you could get a sunroof for $250. :)

The average price of most sunroofs is $600-700 for just a front sunroof in todays market. And a lot of them are package priced anyway. Considering it's a twin panel roof in the A3 and a stand alone option, I don't think $1000 or so is overpriced.

And call any reputable shop to put an aftermarket power tilt and slide sunroof in any car. You're easily looking at 700-1000 if you want it done professionaly.
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    This is just my personal feeling/experience, but the Open Sky sunroof makes the car feel more spacious inside. Is it? No, but it makes me feel less confined than a closed top. Same thing with the dual-pane sunroof in my wife's Mini.

-cos
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    In a recent business trip to Denmark, I rented an Audi 1.6 Sportback. From what I can gather from the manual, and my minimal Danish, this is the 102hp@5600rpm engine (75kW).

It's interesting how well some of these (by what I'm used to in N.A.) underpowered cars work in this more rural area of Europe, with frequent roundabouts and often tractors on the roads. Compared to the Citroen C4 I had last time, this car had much less driveline lash if you were in too low or high a gear for the revs.

It's mostly two lane highway with a max speedlimit of 80km/h (50mph) but I did a short jaunt on their fourlane at the 130km/h (80mph) speed lmit and it cruised along nicely and had surprisingly little road noise. The engine noise was high pitched, which at 4000rpm in fifth is what you would expect, but tire and wind noise wasn't too bad at all. I was still instinctively trying to shift up though. Seems like needless wear and tear, and the engine is very responsive between 2000-3000rpm.

I'm curious, what kind of rpm @ what mph do the manual Audi A3's sold in N.A. have ?
    The US A3s use the 3.2 and 2.0 with six speeds so they cruise at 80 mph.
    Most USA interstates have limits around 70 to 75 mph.
    Of course, not all that many people __drive__ at that speed.
    80-90 is routine. The "drivers" cars (euros, tuners, etc.) usually run at 90 mph or over.

Median speed on Los Angeles freeways is 70-75 though limit is 65.

In Nevada they will close the I-15 one day a year to allow driving at virtually unlimited speed (not exactly sure how that works...)
    I do the I-15 "limitless speed" thing on normal nights out to Vegas. :D

The tollroads of France/Italy and the autobahn provided me with more time to cruise at 120+ (MPH, not KPH)---also it's less stressful as the cops don't come after you for running up to 140+ for miles on end.
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    So I've been scanning eBay lately and seen a few A3s there and a couple of certified used ones. Do any of you have an opinion on what these might run. I was thinking a used one to allow someone else to take the initial depreciation hit. ;)
    I did post this in the Real World Trade In forum and heard in the $23-24000 range (Manheim), but since this is the actual A3 forum I was curious if anyone else had looked into them used and what the general thoughts were.
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    Am considering buying a premium pkg, DSG, Open Sky 2.0 A3. Looking for comments on handling, prices paid and how the standard radio is (prefer not to pay for upgrade Bose) for similar models. Would like the Sport pkg but need power seat with more adjustments for bad back- don't know why can't combine that option in how Audi packages.
  • farbsfarbs Member Posts: 4
    Had my eye on an A3 for a while. Only hesitation is unknown reliability ratings. Audi did a little better in the overall ratings (though still below the industry average). Anyone know if enough A3s were reviewed as part of JD Powers June 06 Initial Quality rankings to garner a rating? If so, how did the A3 fare?

Thx!
    I have the same problem, farbs. No, there's yet no A3 rating of reliability from either JD POWERS or Consumers Union (former comes up blank, latter has not finished its testing).

My understanding is the A3's essentially a rebadged VW Golf MkV (Audi told me it uses VW chassis, engines and drivetrains for A3), with Audi interiors, trims, and suspension calibrations. The 3.2 is a VW R32 with 5 doors and similar focus on unique mods for Audi.

Having VW as the A3 foundation, and VW getting worse in reliability this year, what can we expect? :confuse:

If I could afford a second car and had good roads nearby, the A3'd be great to drive! The 3.2 corners flat as a pancake and keeps you in touch with the road you're driving on!
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    Looking on the JD power website, it looks like the A3 ranked fairly well... appears to be generally comparable to the Volvo V50.

(update: Ah, upon further review, it looks like only the 2005 MY ratings are on the website. Maybe they are close... is the 2006 expected to be much different? I had just started looking at the A3, so I'm not sure.)
    Unfortunately, I did look into the V50 and reviews of that car beyond initial are generally poor for reliability- anybody have ideas on a 5 door that drives well with good reliability? The only one I can find is the Mazda 3 and have been looking for something a little more upmarket. New BMW wagons are only AWD and I don't need that in CA.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    So what #rpm at 'x' mph do you see in sixth gear? And which model of A3 is this in ?

That part of Denmark (Jylland or Jutland) is more traditionally Danish -- the best single word is: orderly. I didn't see very many cars at all driving above 130km/h. As our 4-lane speed limit here is 100km/h, and the slowest speed you see people driving at is 110km/h with many vehicles travelling at 120-130km/h, I wonder if that would be the same response in this part of Canada too ?

It would be an interesting experiment. Oh well.
    Having VW as the A3 foundation, and VW getting worse in reliability this year, what can we expect?

Uh, the A4 and A6 have shared chassis and engines with the Passat line for a long, long time. The TT used a golf platform too. So what?
    "Uh, the A4 and A6 have shared chassis and engines with the Passat line for a long, long time. The TT used a golf platform too. So what?"

For all those models, reliability isn't so hot either. But to Audi's credit, they're better than VWs' :shades: .

And does reliability really matter much wrt a performance luxury car?
  • tgrundketgrundke Member Posts: 6
    I have had my A3 for almost 1 year and almost 20,000 miles and I have not yet had one problem. Not one single problem - and this is my third Volkswagen/Audi product.

Thus far, my A3 (knock on wood) has been bullet-proof. Absolutely no correlation to my previous Jetta or R32. About my only complaint on the car is that the handle-bars on the center console get in the way from time to time, the parking brake is in in a silly position relative to the arm rest and the brakes are a bit soft for my liking.

Otherwise, great!
    The A4 and A6 aren't on the same platform as the Passat- they just happen to use the same engines.

However, those engines are not VW-developed. Audi usually develops the popular engines for the VW Group, and the high-end ones. VW covers the mid-range.

I have had my A3 for six months- not one problem.

The only problem I had with my 2000 A6 2.7T, which I traded in last year (for an S4 Cabriolet), was that the washer caps flew off if I tried to wash my headlights on the highway. I got them replaced- twice.

My S4 Cabriolet has been an angel. Not a single problem!

Hope this helps the original inquiry.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • bruce30bruce30 Member Posts: 8
    Do not get open sky unless you dont mind windnoise over 50mph
  • bruce30bruce30 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought the 2006 premium w/open sky + standard radio. Wanted leather so had to get open-sky pkg. Only problem is open-sky causes wind noise over 50mph. Everything else- DSG-seats & radio are great.
    Sounds like the pkg I am looking for. Do you notice any hesitation when starting from a stop? Noticed some hesitation on the one I drove- dealer said it is normal delay for the transmission to go into gear in the DSG. Have you had a chance to drive it on fast curves?- Wondering how the premium is compared to the sport pkg since the sport is to choppy on San Fran Bay Area roads. Am also curious on pricing if you are OK with sharing it. Thanks
    I am seriously looking at getting a new 2.0 DSG with Open Sky and Premium Pkg and just read all of the posts on the A3 problem site since inception. I must admit, it is a bit unnerving to see all of the posts on DSG shift problems and electical system (starting, dashboard electrical)issues, wind noise from open sky even when it is closed. Many admit that they love the car when it is working. It seems like lots of folks are having lots of problems with brand new cars. Are these problems more the norm for this model (or Audis?) I have had a Porche and Alfa in the past that cost a fortune to fix often and led me to buying Japanese(have an '01 Acura and a '97 Lexus since new and just have needed routine maintainance) Am looking more fun to drive (the Lexus goes away) but don't have time or $ to spend at the repair shop. Are many of you NOT having any problems?- be honest, I understand you may still love the car!
  • jesssejessse Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have an opinion on how fronttrak, and the A3 in general, handles compared with an AWD. especially in slippery, snowy conditions. wondering if it would even come close to handling as well as an AWD in those types of conditions. thanks