Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    "He did not say whether or not the S-package will be a mandentory addition for 2.0 T's with Quattro..."

Well, one can only hope. Only way to buy the car IMNSHO...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,497
    If you lease, that S-line package hurts... It lowers the residual by 2%...

Don't they have a Sport package that has all of the performance goodies, without the cosmetic stuff?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Unfotunately, for our local roads, the S-package makes the car ride harsh. So I hope, at least for the 2.0T, Audi will offer an AWD choice for us folks not blessed with smooth, Germanic roads.

The 3.2's mandentory sport suspension lets it corner flat, for sure.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    "Don't they have a Sport package that has all of the performance goodies, without the cosmetic stuff? "

That would work. Make the cosmetics the option, and the suspension the given.

The suspension tuning makes all the difference in the world, from my experience. It unleashes the true joy of driving the car, as opposed to merely commuting comfortably in style.

I see an awful lot of these little guys up here in NorCal these days. Still a very hip little ride.

Still would be better RWD.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the 1-series finally lands. I understand from the thread that the wagon version, and not the stubbier hatch, will be offered here. If so, my bank goes to BMW, assuming I'm in the market at the time...
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    If the 1 Series ever comes here. BMW has been saying, "Oh, it'll come, eventually..." for several years. Eventuality is taking the novelty from this car.

I've actually read more than a few reviews saying that the A3 was a better driver than the 1, and is not only fun, but offers the 1's missing practicality, high-quality interior and aggressive style.

I love my little bugger.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • Another thing that came out of the LA Auto show was Audi's claim that A3 3.2's can be had __without__ the sport suspension.

When I explained all their lit and web site only listed the A3 3.2 with S-line trim, they said an Audi dealer __can__ order one with regular suspension, but that it takes a month or more to get it.
  • If you want a free maintenance pkg on an 07, you can pay 550 or you can pay for each time you bring the car in. Personally I think the $550 is worth it.

Sherry :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,599
    Personally I think the $550 is worth it

really? What kind of maintenance are we talking about? And for how long?

$550 would cover both of my vehicles through 3 years.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Hey folks, just thought i'd butt in...
    I recently bought a NEW leftover 06 A3 (my first audi...and i love it so far...have 6,000+ miles on it)..one thing to note on the free maintenance:
    My first scheduled maintenance was at 5,000 miles..and it was free.
    The next free one is at 15,000 miles....but at 10,000 miles the oil should be changed again and the tires rotated....so this one i will have to pay for....i think this goes on like this, every other one isn't free..not sure if the $550 is worth it or not, but i thought i'd let ya all know.

don
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    ...but at 10,000 miles the oil should be changed again and the tires rotated...

Well, that's not entirely true. Your second oil change is due at 15,000 miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Hey Shipo...i've always heard different stories about when to change Synthetic oil.
    So its ok to go 10,000 miles between changes???
    This audi dealer uses Castro oil.They hinted i should change it in the 5-6,000 mile range, but it was up to me.I just want to do whats best for the engine.

don
  • Hi All-

Oil is the lifeblood of an automobile engine. It is very cheap insurance towards ensuring a long and healthy life for your new car. Regular oil should be used for the initial break-in period as synthetics are essentially "too slippery" for proper break-in to occur. The first change should occur at 500 miles, the second at the 1000 mile marker.

After those first two changes one can make the migration to synthetic oils. Oil should still be changed every 5000-6000 miles because the oil still contaminates at the same rate as regular mineral-based oils. The suspension capabilities and anti-shearing properties are simply superior in the synthetic products. This is such an easy and hassle-free piece of maintenance it's not worth delaying it to try and save a few dollars. Remember, the automobile companies want your new car to last...but not to last too long!

~ Blue Jays ~
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "I've always heard different stories about when to change Synthetic oil."

My earlier comments were specific to what your Owner's Manual recommends for scheduled oil services, and not necessarily what I would do were it that I was in your shoes.

"So it's ok to go 10,000 miles between changes???"

A lot of that depends upon the oil used.

"This Audi dealer uses Castrol oil. They hinted I should change it in the 5-6,000 mile range, but it was up to me. I just want to do what's best for the engine."

Here again, it depends upon the oil used. For a 10,000 mile OCI, the only oils that I would use in the 2.0T (regardless of brand or weight) would have to meet the most stringent VW 503.01 oil standard. Per the Castrol web site, the only oil that they sell here in North America that meets that standard is the German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

With the above in mind, oils that meet the older 502.00 oil spec are most probably good for 5,000 to 6,000 miles, and Castrol does in fact make one other oil that meets that spec, namely Castrol Syntec 5W-40.

If your dealer is using anything else, then I wouldn't even go 1,000 miles without dumping that oil, in fact, I wouldn't even let them put it in the engine in the first place. In the end, the only two 503.01 oils that are readily available here in North America that I would trust for 10,000 miles in the 2.0T are the aforementioned Castrol Syntec 0W-30 as well as the Mobil 1 0W-40.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks Shipo, and Bluejays...your input is greatly appreciated.
    This is my first Audi, and i want it to last me awhile.

don
  • aakersaakers Posts: 1
    I too have changed the oil every 5000 miles . Both my wife and I have found our A3 2.0 t DSG Premium Coldweather and All Season Tires, Moro Blue Pearl to be a great car . Yes we have had problems with the sun shade and yes it is a bit noisy on the highway but ... 26 to 30 mpg , handles wonderfully and is a blast to drive . Before that car my wife was driving a toyota Avalon which was and is a great automobile but not any where near the fun as the A3. We now have about 13,800 on the car and yes I am going to check the oil level in the morning . According to my dealer we are using synthetic and the salesman reccomended the 5000 interval not only for the opil but the tire rotation as well . We usually change at 3000 in our other cars . We shall see as the miles roll on as this is our first German car but for now it is a fine automobile and a very nice piece of engineering.
    Andy :)
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    I've now driven over 10,000 miles on my Ocean Blue 2006 A3 with sport package and DSG (no other extras - except performance tires that come with the sport package normally). I've had no issues other than the tailpipes having an ugly finish that I should have caught on delivery. After several visits to a San Diego dealership, complaining to Audi America and customer service, and appealing the service manager's original decision, they finally agreed to replace the exhaust tips, which meant replacing not just the tips but the whole rear line and exhaust assembly (probably why they resisted in the first place). I think Audi should include and use a more polished stainless steel exhaust tip, but the factory one's that replaced my originals are much better. I should have caught this on delivery and taken care of it then.

I've had no mechanical problems as of yet. I've had no electrical problems as of yet. The paint isn't as scratch resistant as I would like, but what can you do; paint scratches. I grow to like this car more and more over time. The car was perfectly designed for my needs and wants. I thought originally it was maybe overpriced, but out of the many things I've bought and spent lots of money on over the years, the 30K spent out the door is one of the best values and most satisfying purchases ever.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,497
    Dang!! This makes me want one.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

It's a great car, and definitely the best car I've ever bought, and the most expensive too to be fair.

Also, in 2007 Audi took value out of the equation by removing free maintenance from their program. They need to add that back in.
  • I have the exact same car except i have the premium package, with 11,000 miles and NO problems as of yet.
    Love it so far!!
    don
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I've got Ocean Blue, premium package, open sky, and a fantastic Audi factory bodykit (not S-Line). No problems, and it's the second-best car I've ever owned, right behind my S4!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    I like it because its sporty and light enough to not get to 200 degrees F on a hot California summer afternoon.
  • I just test drove the A3 S line with DSG,
    it was more car than what I was first considering but the car is built very well.
    The S line suspension was not harsh at all. I most have a harder but than most! I've always had a manual, but the DSG can shift as though your in a Formula car. the down shifts with rev matching is awesome.
    They gave me an good offer, but maintenance service has been dropped, so I will ponder this for a couple of days more.
    if I can get a decent offer on a speed3 i may have to go there. Has anyone tested one of the Speed3's?
    I haven't tested the MAZDA SPEED3 but Audi definitely has a direct competitor now. It comes down to do you want the safer car with a higher quality luxury interior, or do you want the rocket fast regular grade interior?

Mazda's warranty is lowered and now sucks. That is far more of a let down than Audi dropping maintenance in my opinion.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,749
    which did well in its satisfaction ratings and managed an "average" for reliability (far better than most euro brands).

CU tested the regular 2.0T, not the 3.2 S-line.
    I think the A3 would have scored "above average on CR" had it not been for the sunshade and opensky debacle (with the latch that broke on almost every vehicle). W/O the opensky, you don't have that half black circle on body hardware/integrity; and hence, above average.
  • big_robbig_rob Posts: 10
    Does anyone have any info on possible changes for 2008 A3?
  • tsx24tsx24 Posts: 85
    Yes I visited the Dealer and they had ordering info on the 2008. There is ~ $500 increase in msrp, however the currently optional Symphony 6CD is now standard. I believe trip computer is also standard. Options have also changed
    Sport Package $2500 (now includes power driver seat)
    Premium Package $1500 (no change in equipment)
    No Technology Package. Adaptive Bi-Xenon separate option for $800
    Addition of Convenience Package $350 (Auto-Dim Mirror w/ Compass, Auto Rain/Light Sensor)
    Additional Option of Manual Rear Side Sunshades $150
    Those were the major changes. I will check with the hard copy I received to confirm this information.
    Let me add:
    Heated Seats are now available for $450 (Full Cold Weather still available for $700).
    Open Sky now requires selection of Sport or Premium Packages
    $400 optional wood trim
    Here are the full spec changes for 2008
    MSRP up: 6-man $25,930 - DSG $27,410 (excludes destination).

Currently optional Symphony 6CD is now standard. I believe trip computer is also standard.

Options have also changed:

Sport Package $2500 (now includes power driver seat)

Premium Package $1500 (no change in equipment)

No Technology Package. Adaptive Bi-Xenon separate option for $800

Addition of Convenience Package $350 (Auto-Dim Mirror w/ Compass, Auto Rain/Light Sensor)

Additional Option of Manual Rear Side Sunshades $150

Heated Seats are now available for $450 (Full Cold Weather still available for $700).

Open Sky now requires selection of Sport or Premium Packages

$400 optional brown walnut wood trim (with premium package)

Titanium Package $1500 Piano black trim, black styling grille and window trim, 18" 7-double spoke titanium wheels, summer tires, black headliner.

18" wheels and summer tires $1000
    Ipod Glove Box connection $250

That covers all the 2008 changes.
    back in free maintenance if they are going to keep raising prices.

I don't understand why they took it out in the first place.

Maybe they can do something different, like offer a free set of replacement summer tires when your originals wear out! That would be nice!