Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Century Maintenance and Repair

Anyone else having problems with electric window switches? I have replaced 2 on the driver's window already, with only 7000 miles.

Comments

• ONE YEAR AGO----1/03--- THE A/C WOULD NOT SHUT OFF, EVEN WITH THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION. OF COURSE IT RAN OUT THE BATTERY. WHEN TOWED TO BUICK DEALER IN PEMBROKE PINES, FL. I ASKED TO HAVE THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM FULLY CHECKED TO FIX THE PROBLEM, SO IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. SERVICE MGR. SWORE IT WAS CHECKED AND COULD FIND NOTHING WRONG. JUST RECHARGED BATTERY. NOW 1 YEAR LATER SAME PROBLEM AND I NEED A NEW BATTERY.
    IF I GET ONE, I KNOW THIS A/C PROBLEM WILL HAPPEN AGAIN. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS HAPPENING OR DOES BUICK HAVE A RECALL? OR SOLUTION? THANKS
    R. KLINGSBERG------IROK1953@AOL.COM---BUICK CENTURY 2000.
  • lelandllelandl Posts: 11
    2000 century coustom
    46000 mi
    keyless entry
    cruise
    cassettee
    ABS
    power W/L and driver seat
    1 owner
    some crack on windshield
    from a used car dealer
    he is firm at $6100
    KBB trade is $4900 Private party $6900
    Edmunds Trade in $5600 private party $6800

What's you guys opinion about this?
    Is that a reasonale price?
    Which particular part should pay special attention when mechanical check?
    thanks much!
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    I wouldn't pay that much for a 2000 model. 2003 models are selling for under $10,000 in the Dallas area. 2002 models I have seen for $6995 advertised, with 50-60K miles on tham. With those miles and that year, IMO it's worth about $4000-$4500. Remember the windshield will cost $200-$400 to fix (used or new part is the price difference)
  • nancy2nancy2 Posts: 1
    Bought new and are having a problem with "jerking" when proceeding from a stop. The dealership says they have never had a problem like this come into their shop. It does it every once in awhile so when taken out for test drives it behaves like normal. Has anyone ever had this occur and if so what was the solution?
  • jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Posts: 300
    What state do you live in? Here in Colorado, it is against the law for a dealer to sell an automobile with a cracked windshield because it poses a safety hazard.

Jeremy
  • jpzjpz Posts: 1
    Any other 2003 Buick Century owners having problems with an inaccurate odometer? Mine is running high.
  • I have a '98 Buick Century and occasionally the ABS warning light is on when the car is started. It might happen one time in ten. It never comes on except when the car is started and when it does come on, it does not go out while driving or flicker on & off. There is no noticeable effect on braking.

I've had previous cars where the engine service light occasionally came on and a mechanic could find no reason for it. Anybody else had an intermittent ABS warning light problem?

Thanks.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Have a mechanic check for stored trouble codes in the ABS controller. Many intermittent ABS faults are wheel speed sensor related.
  • rkw2rkw2 Posts: 66
    I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. It seemed as though I was putting more mileage on this car than on my other cars. Last week I checked the trip odometer against mileage markers on the Parkway. Sure enough my odometer was showing 2.1 miles at the 2 mileage markers (a 5% difference). Does anyone know how to get it corrected. There are federal regulations against messing around with odometers. My car is leased and this could put me over my mileage limit and at $.15 per mile this could cost me at the end of my lease.
  • I parked, took my keys out and my car kept beeping as if my keys were not extracted! I had to disconnect my battery to get my lights to go off! Not only my head lights were on after I took out keys but also my taillights When I pushed lock botton my lights would not go off ? Any clue????
  • code is coming up random misfire? changed fuel filter! still misfiring any suggestions? 99 century,3.1
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    My father has a 97 Century Custom and the headlights are turning milky on the top half. I tried to polish the outside with some plastic polish and it smoothed out the roughness, but it looks like the main problem is inside.

Any solutions? I'm contemplating going to a salvage yard to see if I can pick up a set that are not affected.

Thanks

Deke
  • ralzralz Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 buick custom century. I am having problems with the right side blinker light. The left side works like it is suppose to, however, the right side clicks really fast(not normal speed) and does not show up in the light indicator of the instrument panel. Outside front right side lights do not blink at all. Only the back right side is blinking but very fast. I have tried replacing the light bulbs for the front and back lights and replaced the fuse, but none of this seems to work. I would greatly appreciate any advise in fixing this problem. thanks, ralz
  • I have a 2000 Buick Century that has an electrical problem that is causing the low/high beam light not to work. I have taken the headlight out of this car and tested them on my 2002 Buick Century. The light worked good on my 2002 Buick. I also took the headlight switch out of my 2000 Buick and put it in my 2002 Buick and it worked correctly. I have checked the 20 amp fuse and the two 15 amp fuses and they were ok. If I hold the high beam switch on the high beam lights will come on. The parking light and daytime light work correctly. Does any body know where the Running control module is for this vehicle??? Also where is the Daytime running lamps ambient light senor?? Any suggestions to trouble shoot this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joel
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Posts: 26
    My father has a '98 Century with about 40k miles. A few months ago, it mysteriously began not starting. Every few weeks, when you turn the key, nothing happens -- no cranking, nothing. However, an hour later it starts with no problems. Of course the mechanics can't find any trouble codes or anything else. The battery is new.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • jkennyjkenny Posts: 1
    Hey Joel, I have the same exact problem on our 2000 Buick Century. I took it to the dealer and they charged us $150 to tell us that it is probably the light switch and it would cost $711 to replace it. I told the service manager he was out of his mind. I took the headlamp assemblies apart and swapped the high beams to the outside position. We now leave the high beam switch on for the time being, although the light is now diffused inside the assemblies. I just bought a new switch for $70 and I'd like to know how difficult it was to change it out. Thanks, John
  • jwinkjwink Posts: 2
    Mine had that problem, best I can figure, it was the injectors sticking shut. I was a die hard fan of cheap speedway gas, never gave me a problem till this car. Now if I use it, every other tank I get an injector that sticks shut and engine runs like crap. Switched to Shell, no problems since.
  • jwinkjwink Posts: 2
    Dealerships will tell you it's probably the switch arm ($400). Mine started doing that on the right, and then progressed to the right. After switch arm $400, main electronics $500, new bulbs $20 and many hours of labor, they got it fixed. Luckily it was under warranty so out of pocket was only $50 total
  • wmay80wmay80 Posts: 2
    on my 03 buick century everything on my instrument panel goes dead and my check engine light comes on eventually they come back and engine light goes off
    ive checked all my fuses but nothings bad
  • Hi, Did you ever find out the problem with your Buick, Century? I am having a similar problem. When I accelerate and the car is trying to switch gears, it jerks. The only way to get this to stop is to turn the car off, remove the key (disengage the electric part) I believe it is an electrical problem, because the car will reset itself after the key has been removed, and one of the doors has been opened. I hope I have explained this. Thank-you