Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Century Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• doggaldoggal Posts: 17
    I had an overheating problem too on my buick century 1994 (41000 original miles). Had the radiator flushed. The light would still come on from time to time. Took it back to the shop they changed the thermostat. They also reflushed the radiator, because after they flushed it the first time they put some kind of cleaner in it and that really cleaned it but at the same time caused a motherload of deposit at the bottom of the radiator, causing it to have only 1/3 actual radiator capacity. After the second flush that all came out and it seems to be doing fine, knock on wood.
    Hi:
    I am new to this board. I have a Buick Century 94 with 41000 original miles. This morning suddenly the front windows do not want to open. Thought may be because it is cold, had the heater on for a while still nothing.
    The back ones do open, but one is very slow.
    Can someone explain what is going on.
    Hope I do not need a trip to the shop. Just spend my Christas money there over the weekend getting the brakes fixed.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • tlon7tlon7 Posts: 7
    I just got a pristine 1995 Buick Century with a 3.1, V6 engine. I had recently purchased an Interstate MT 34 (Megatron II) for another car, but I'm now getting rid of the former car and wonder if this battery is good for the Century. I looked up the recommended battery list for the Buick Century on the Interstate Battery site and it did not mention this battery. It's a shame if I can't use it because I spent $75, it has a 75 month warranty, :surprise: and I've run it about five miles. The Cranking info and voltage specs seem correct. Can someone help fast! I'm donating the other car to MADD on Tuesday, nov. 28.
  • My grandmother gave me her 92 Buick Century. For the most part its been a very reliable car, and she kept it very well maintained. I recently had to get new brake pads and replace the starter and the computer. Other than that, its been pretty good to me. I went out a few minutes ago to go somewhere, and as soon as I started the car, a very loud rattling coming from the belts or that area. I went in checked the belts, nothing seems loose. This isn't something that's been coming on, it just started out of nowhere. I had gone somewhere earlier this morning and it was fine. Any thoughts or suggestions? I really don't have the money to take it to a shop!!
  • Checked the cooling fan relay and it's fine. The wiring diagram shows a 10 amp in line fuse which I suspect is the culprit. Does any one know where this in line fuse is located? Is it near or above the PCM/ECM behind the dashboard?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!
  • based on what you wrote and just a guess. the belt tensioner may be worn. But that is a guess.
    Also, I had an air conditioner compressor pulley go bad and it sounded like a very loud scraping with the A/C off and would go away when I turned on the A/C.
    Just Guessing but I hope it helps.
  • Recently, I find my car (2002 buick century) don't start properly after I just turned off the engine. when the engine is cold, every thing is OK. anyone has this problem? How to solve it?
  • The interior lights continually blow the 10 amp fuse leaving us in the dark. Does any one know how to fix the problem??? I have replaced the fuse several times - that just does not work. Oh yes I have had to replace all 4 window motors - I hope the replacements last longer than the original at a cost of $400. per window. The windows were almost never opened - parked inside every night and never allowed rain inside - yet they failed with less than 30,000 miles (6yrs old). Any help out there with the interior lights (tired of high dollar repairs)??
  • I have a 1999 Buick Century 3.1L V6. It has just over 120k miles on it.

I purchased it, and didnt even know it had a tick which would occur after the car was running for a minute... and it never goes away. It is harder to hear at higher RPM's (over 2,000) but it's still there.

I notice a lot of people have problems with engine tick at cold startup, but I have not seen any people post about engine tick AFTER a cold startup

What is wrong? Is it bad? Easy to fix? Expensive? Will my motor last? What should I do?

Thanks!

I purchased this car for winter use because I wanted to store my 1999 Grand Prix GTP 3.8L Supercharged V6

-Ryan
  • You will have to find the short. Never a fun thing to do. You will have take the time and trace all the sockets, wires and switch to check for shorts.
  • I am trying to change the thermostat on a 96 Century 3100 SFI V6, but am unsure where it is located. I dont have alot of technical knowledge of engines, but can anyone explain easily where the thermostat is and how to go about changing it? Thanks-
    Lanaki
  • Have a 94 buick century 3100 sfi. Noticed the temperature gauge up in the very high normal range. Found that the fans were not kicking on. There is no signal voltage going to the relays. The wiring diagram shows a 10 amp in line fuse going to the relay coils. I can't seem to find that inline fuse holder and it's driving me batty. Please, Does anyone know where they hide that thing? Also, it has a temperture sensor, but I can't see if there is also a temperature switch on the engine. Does it have one?
    For the time being I've wired a switch to the primary fan but I really don't like rigging things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    lpen.
  • www.autozone.com has a component location finder on there site. Check it out.
  • I have a 1998 Buick-Century. I discovered a water/coolant leak and the Shell gas station mechanic replaced my water pump after a pressure check. I thought all was well until my car died on the highway (about 2 months latter), towed back to same Shell gas station. Now (same mechanic) he says my engine needs to be replaced or rebuilt,a $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 repair job. He thinks the cause is the head gasket. Was this the problem from the beginning? Is this mechanic culpable for not noticing the leak was still there after he replaced my water pump?

The blue book value on my car is @ $2,300.00.
    Trade in value is $500.00 which was an offer from one car dealership.

I don't know if I want to have the engine rebuilt, replaced with a new or used engine or just trade it in for whatever I can get for it.

Any suggestions?
  • kreuzerkreuzer Posts: 117
    1990 Buick Century Custom, 3.1v6 has 101,000mi. While driving the car and most noticably when turning a corner, you can hear a swoosh sound coming from behind the dash. It almost sounds as if the coolant is swishing from side-to-side. Does anyone know what this could be? I've never heard this before :confuse: . Thanks!
  • I had the same problem with my chevy truck - the problem is the anti-freeze in the radiator is low - fill the radiator up completely and the "swooshing" sound will stop.
  • What does a short look like? will there be a bare wire somewhere? What could be wrong with a socket? Is there a meter or something that can test a wire for a short?
    I also have a power window problem. Looked in the fusebox in the glove compartment but there seems to be just 1(one) 30A fuse/circuit breaker for all 4 windows, Can't seem to find another fuse for the windows. The front windows suddenly do not work, but the back ones do work. Kinda silly 1 fuse for all windows, or is there a different kind of fuse somewhere else. I ordered the Hanes book for this car Century 1994, but haven't received it yet.
    Any ideas what I can do or look for. I do appreciate any help I can get.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Posts: 117
    Thanks, cstubbs, I'll give that a try. :)