Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Century Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 1999 Buick Century sedan. When I bought it, I noticed a few problems:
    1. My reverse lights and license plate lights do not work. it isnt a fuse or the bulbs.
    2. when my trunk light is on, the lights across the trunk lid also light up. They shut off when i pulled the bulb out of the trunk light.
    3. Last week, the door/trunk light came on on my instrument panel. The light will shut off when the car is in reverse, or if the parking lights are on.
    If anyone knows anythign about these problems, please let me know.
  • I have a 1990 buick century that runs great... until the engine or something heats up and then the engine just stops running, the check engine light comes on as it quits, i've changed the ignition module and 1 of the coils, i'm not a mechanic but am not afraid to try to fix this. I also hooked up an inline spark tester and when the engine has had time to sit I get good spark but after it dies there's nothing, any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
    gerry
  • My left blinker does not work or left brake light. My blinker on the right does not blink when on. I was told that I may need to replace the flasher switch and may have some ele problems on the left. Power window on the driver side will not come down and the main control does not work the windows. I have to open my door on the drivers side to close the window in the back seat behind the driver. Can I get some help here. If it is easy I can work on my car to fix the easy things and from there I need to see where to go. :confuse: :(
  • 92 Century w-v6,auto,air,pwr door locks-windows, am/fm/cass,pwr trunk release. have checked all fuses in fuse compartment with multi-meter they all check good. Is there a main fuse under the hood, dash? I have pwr at the battery but none in the car at all.
  • Gerry,

Our buick is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out what the problem was. Thanks for any help. Tony
  • I have the exact same problem with my 02 Century...I am trying to find out myself where the sensor is located...It costs $68 for a new one.
  • Hi I have the exact same problem with my 02 Century...Did you ever fix the problem?
  • neksorneksor Posts: 1
    i am presently in the same situation...PO401/403 codes...did the same as he did...PO401 gone, but PO403 EGR (exhaust gas recirculation circuit malfunction) help i am stuck and cannot get this code out, it just returns as fast as i start the car...my CO & HC readings are high and cannot pass e-check in ohio....help and help the guy above me, thank you....
  • mojojomojojo Posts: 1
    i have a 94 buick doing the same thing not sure where to start if anyone has any ideas i would like to hear them.
  • my 2000 buick does the same thing with the transmission, but I've noticed that my engine temp. runs hotter than normal just before it starts shifting rough...if I turn my a/c on it will drop the engine temp and the transmission quits shifting rough. I'd like to find the problem with it too..is it the engine coolent getting hotter than normal causing the transmission to shift hard, or is it the transmission heating up and causing the engine to run hotter?.. Guessing,.. I would believe it's the engine coolent temp not cooling the transmission oil properly.. causing the proble... IF so.. why is my engine coolent running hotter than morm?
  • My 2000 century low coolent light came on about a year ago, I checked the radiator and it was full, yes. . muddy looking stuff on the cap also. I immediately thought of stop leak too..then thought someone had mixed the green with the new coolent...so I flushed the coolent system myself..I've done mechanical work for over 30 years on my own vehicles...everything from changing plugs to rebuilding engines and transmissions. ..so I know I flushed it properly..which included bleeding the air from the system after refilling with coolent. Anyway.. after that my engine began runnning a little hotter than normal. I kept an eye on it and noticed it never went above 1/2 way on the gauge. But, this summer, the transmission began shifting rough..but only when the gauge reached 1/2.. and when it cooled down.. it would quit shifting rough. I found that when I turn the a/c on..it would lower the coolent temp to normal agin. So, I can't figgure out what's causing the engine to heat up some and the transmission to shift rough when it does. Some brown stuff showed up again in the radiator again, but it only accumliated on the cap. I'm puzzled.. is the transmission getting hot making the coolent run hot or is the engine heating up causing the coolent to get hot??? Any Reply will be appreciated!
  • you're at step 1 of what I found in my 2000 century, I found the drain way up on the engine side of the right side of the radiator..looking from front of caR. I drained the coolent, flushed the system, and refilled the system. Only...to see the grayish brown sludge to appear again. Now my problem is with the heat gauge going slightly above the norm, and my transmission shifting hard into gears when it does go up.
  • on my 2000 century, it's located on the battery side of the radiator about 1/3 the way down the radiator
  • Does anyone have a solution to this. I'm having a similar sounding problem in my 94 Buick Century (3.1 engine).

TNilsen
  • jdh93jdh93 Posts: 7
    I have a 93 Century. About 3 weeks ago the already rusted out muffler and tail pipe fell off. It ran fine for another 2 weeks. About a week ago, it was completley dead. The starter was rebuilt and it ran fine for about 2 days. Then it began to often die right after it tarted. After various tries restarting it, it usually starts, but it releases a plume of smoke and then runs and idles very sluggishly. Sometimes it dies while I am driving. There is a strong smell of gas. This only happens about half the time. It often starts on the first crank and runs and idles smoothly. I have replaced all filters and treated the fuel system and the injectors. # mechanics have looked at it, but the problem never arose when they checked it. They hooked it up to the diagnostic computer, but it didn´t indicate a problem. I live in an area where there are no Buick dealers and where I don´t have a reliable mechanic.(I am new to the area.) Can anyone make ny suggestions as to what should be checked, what the problem sounds like or give me any advice in general??? The car has only 70,000 miles on it. ( My grandmother bought it new) and it has been reliable for me up until now. Please help me if you can. Thanks.
  • jdh93jdh93 Posts: 7
    Did you ever find a solution to your fuel system problem????
  • Hi there, I have a 99 Century and am having troubles with the head gasket and a leak on the water pump. I have been told that to repair both it will cost about $2500. I love my car and want to know if putting the $2500 work into it is worth it. In order to resell my vehicle I need to put the work into it, but what is the resale on a 8.75 year old century? The low tire light stays on continually even though the air in the tires is at the right press. Any ideas on what the issue is? I'm kinda frustrated as I don't know anything about cars and my husband knows even less. If someone can give me some info that would be great! thanks :confuse: :cry: :mad:
  • So on friday i was driving and my car just shut off. Its a 90 buick century with the v6 3.3. I have no spark. I installed a new ignition control module, had the coils checked and installed a new ecm. Everything checked out and i still have no spark. does anybody have any ideas?
  • my headlight is broken and I can't take it out of the casing to change it. There are heavy duty bars atop blocking. Do detach the lamp shell that houses the light, or do I just somehow pull the light/lamp out from behind? Either way, the headlamp is mounted down and I can't get to the light. Or, if I am to pull the csing apart from the side. Huh?
    I'm confused! It's hard to do with little tools and experience? My neighbors just look out the window and watch. I wonder what they thought when I changed my battery.
    Saleemah
  • what year? my light in my 94 buick century has two metal springs that attach to the inside, you unhook them and the whole light comes out, bulb and all