Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Century Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hcohnhcohn Posts: 2
    I own a 95 buick century with 75k on it. I've replaced the transmission and alternator in the past four years. Tonight my headlights, turn signals, high beams, break lights, interior lights including the panel stopped working. In addition to that my brake light is on and my electric controls for my seat dont work.

If this problem can be fixed easily I would like to do it myself. The fuses have been checked and seem to be ok. The on/off switch has been suggested as the problem.

I have read previous post about electrical problems but have not seen anything including all lights at once. If anyone can give me some insight soon it would be appreciated. Thanks
  • ok seriously i have a wierd problem. i own a 99 buick century, and can not use any accessories in it. basically what is happening is when i plug something into my cigarette lighter it only has power when the car is off. when i turn the car on it seems it shuts off the power to the lighter and thus any accessories. I havent found anything in the manual or the web on how to rectify this situation, if anyone can think of how to fix this, help is much obliged. real pain to not be able to use a cell phone charger or power adapter or anything.
  • I HAD THIS PROBLEM ALSO ON MY 2002 BUICK CENTURY AT ABOUT 58,000 MILES. I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH OVERHEATING OR ENGINE MISS OR POWER. THE WAY I TOOK CARE OF THIS PROBLEM WAS TO DRAIN ABOUT 1 GALLON OF COOLENT FROM THE SYSTEM AND POUR ABOUT A QUART OF LIQUID CASCADE AUTOMATIC DISH WASHING SOAP IN THE RADIATOR . YOU NEED TO REFIL THE SYSTEM WITH PLAIN WATER AND BLEED ALL THE AIR OUT OF IT. IF YOU DO NOT BLEED THE AIR OUT IT WILL OVERHEAT QUICKLY. AFTER YOU GET ALL THE AIR OUT DRIVE IT ON THE HIGHWAY AND GET THE CAR UP TO NORMAL OPERATING TEMP FOR ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO. I LEFT MINE IN FOR ABOUT 200 MILES. THE REASON BEHIND CASCADE IS IT WILL NOT FOAM LIKE SOAP AND IT BREAKS THE OIL DOWN. AFTER HIS IS DONE HAVE THE SYSTEM FLUSHED AND REFILLED WITH DEXCOOL ANTIFREEZE. AFTER I DID THIS 5000 MILES LATER NO OIL IN COOLANT. I DON'T KNOW WHY,BUT NO MORE OIL.
  • P.S. REDWOODGIRL...I FORGOT TO MENTION TO BE SURE TO TURN YOUR HEATER ON TO GET ALL THE OIL OUT OF YOU HEATER CORE ALSO BEFORE YOU FLUSH AND REFILL THE SYSTEM WITH NEW ANTIFREEZE. I HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU LIKE IT DID FOR ME...GOOD LUCK REDBIRD48
  • hcohnhcohn Posts: 2
    So I took the car in to the shop and they said it was a bad connection and it had to be rewired. it will cost about 210 I hope thats all that needs to be done.
  • tad56tad56 Posts: 1
    Have taken our '99 Century (70,000 miles) to dealership twice. Both times they insisted that the tires were out of round, unbalanced. Not at all the case. (I'd just put new tires on the first time. Put more new ones on the second time. Problem not solved.) PROBLEM: When driving between start and up to about 25 miles per hour, the car feels like the front right and back left tires a waaaay out of round. I can watch my hands moving back and forth on the steering wheel. When getting up to normal speed (45ish +) roughly 90% of the problem goes away. Dealership says they've checked everything and have no idea. (I'll save the electric window system failures for another time.) Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.
  • I had the head gasket replaced, that fixed the problem. Too cold here to run water through the rad.

You would think something as important as the head gasket wouldn't look so flimsy!!!!

But the car is all good now, runs like a champ! :D
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    That condition is almost always caused by a defective tire (usually a shifted belt) or excessive lateral runout in a wheel. Simple task to check the wheels with a runout gauge to verify they're running true.
  • I've got a 98 Buick Century and the mechanic said I needed the owners manual to turn off the light. I bought the car from my grandfather who has alzheimers and he's lost the manual and (obviously) doesn't know where it is. Anybody know how to turn the light off? :confuse:
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The powertrain control computer has detected an out of range signal from one of it's monitored sensor circuits, stored a diagnostic trouble code, and turned on the CEL. Start by having the codes retrieved (AutoZone will do it no charge) and repairing the fault.
  • How can I remove the glove box on my 99 buick century? It needs replacing.
  • Does anyone know where the relay is that turns the headlights on automatically at night. This same relay turns on the dash lights automatically. It is not located in the relay box or fuse box on the firewall. Anyone know where this is? 1999 Buick Century Custom. Mike
  • scoandrscoandr Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Buick Century. The Low Coolant light stays on all the time. I've had the car flushed/refilled, new thermostat and that fixed the problem temporarirly. But now i'm being told it's an issue with teh central computer? Has anyone else had issues like this before? The temp gauge never goes above the halfway point and the car isn't running hot. Just the light stays on.

Any information woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • dmcleandmclean Posts: 2
    I believe the low coolant sensor is located on the side of the radiator. You may want to make sure it has a good electrical connection and with the engine cold the fuild level is above the sensor. Also the coolant system has to be bled whenever it is refilled. Be sure this has been done.
  • dmcleandmclean Posts: 2
    Had the same problem with a 95 lumina that my daughter drives. She had a warped rim.
  • lksnyderlksnyder Posts: 2
    My low coolant light started coming on. then disappearing for a while. Then on all the time. I kept having to add coolant to the fill bottle. I had the raditor flushed and the light came back on. Finally they figured out I had a crack in the manifold gasket. I had the replaced and my light hasn't been on since.
  • lksnyderlksnyder Posts: 2
    Just recently I started noticing my car hesitating when pushing on the gas. It doesn't happen all the time, just now and then. First I thought it was a bad tank of gas because the engine was making a real bad clicking sound. A tank of gas later, the clicking sound is gone, but the engine hestiation problem is here. Anybody have this happen and what the problem is?
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Mid-westPosts: 255
    What year, how many miles, and what size engine? Mine is a 2000 with the 3.1. Around 115k I replaced the plugs and plug wires. I use to have a 91 Century that gave me problems of cutting up on acceleration. The Rx in that case was new ignition coils.
    Good Luck
  • baruch1baruch1 Posts: 5
    I bought a new OEM rear lens for my cracked 2003 Century. I installed it myself. The part cost $300 if you believe it, at the dealer. A airline crack was allowing water seepage, shorting out the tail lamps.

The problem is that the name of my car "Century" only appeared on that lens as a sticker. The name Century is no longer etched into the side moldings.

The part I installed, depsite being OEM, does not say Century on it, presumably because it is the same part for the LeSabre, the Century and the Regal. I wrote to the president of GM with no reply. I emailed GM and after three requests for information, I was told that a plastic applique with the car's nameplate would be an additional $50!!! Can you believe this? Another $50 to have the name of my car on my car. BYE BYE BUICK, HASTA LA VISTA GM. This was the straw the broke the camel's back.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Mid-westPosts: 255
    Isn't it sad how people get ripped off when they go to the dealer to use OEM? Sometimes you can order OEM online at discount but its still a hassle and you have S & H charges.
    Nobody at GM cared when I told them 'd never buy another GM vehicle because of this issue (post 114). That, to me, sums up the state of the American car manufacturers, and their dim prsopects for survival. I suspect Ford will merge with GM soon, and salvage what's left of what once was industrial might. In my case, no more GMs for me or my wife, all because of a sticker. Pathetic.
  • neightneight Posts: 6
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the exact same problem in my 1999 Century. My lights would sometimes not come on but the high beams would work if you pulled back on the lever. Also moving the tilt steering sometimes worked, but no longer. Any help appreciated.
    Just bought a completely new taillamp assembly. Dealer suggested replacing bulbs, then adding di-gel? to prevent water from getting into wiring. But at best, that would be hit or miss.
    Concerning my recents posts about the inaility to get a new applique for my Century, I received a call from Jennifer in the Executive Office. I had written to CEO Wagoner. Jennifer expressed sadness over my problem and indicated that parts are re-engineered, and in my case, the name tag was removed. She said that engineering would be contacted with my c oncerns. I asked about the applique and she said they are not free (the dealer wants $50 for a tiny plastic Century nametag!) I said to her that long term it would earn GM much money by ensuring my loyalty, and the short term, the savings of $3 (my estimast as to the cost of the applique) would be foolish. She chose to save $3.. Amazing company, heading toward self destruction. Mr. Wagoner or anyone from Buick-are you reading this? Do you agree? Bye bye Buick and all things GM. -Nick
  • I have had my 99 buick century custom for a few months and yesterday the drivers window came off the track?? I have had trouble with the switch that allows the driver to adjust the other windows from the start. The switches work when they want to. My question is, I need to put the window back on the track but can't figure out how to get the door panel off to do so. There is only one visible screw and I would really appreciate any help from anyone who knows or has a repair manual telling how to get panel off before it rains!! Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.
  • I just bought 2 days ago, today checked the oil again and now i smell fuel in it.
  • sbartschsbartsch Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a 2000 Century with 78,000 mi on it. Car has always been taken care, I bought it from my Dad with 8,000 mi on it, and have always had it serviced, including the trans. It recently started squealing and then it would shift real rough, making a clunking sound as it did. Has anyone had the same problem or heard of it? Service engine light keeps coming on too, which makes me wonder if it's actually the transmission or if it's something in the computer that is malfunctioning. Funny thing is, it doesn't do it all the time, it's very sporadic. Might go 2 weeks with nothing, then it will act up 2-3 days in a row. Any input would be appreciated - thanks. Sue
  • Have you had any problems with fuses in your clock or radio?
  • sbartschsbartsch Posts: 2
    No problems w/fuses in either clock or radio. I did have to replace the gas cap, at one point that was triggering the service engine soon light. Put it on the computer at the automotive shop and it said something to the effect of "faulty gas cap - something like that. But that was before the trans thing started. Other than this, it has been a fantastic car.
    Sue
  • I had the same problem. It would come and go but very upsetting when your lights don't work at night. The dealer found the multi-function switch was faulty (the know the one that controls everything on the left side of the column - cruise, windshield wipers, high beams, etc.). Of course it was a GM only part that costs $374.22 + labor of 110.00 for a total out the door of $512.47. It cured it immediatley! Good luck.