Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Century Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks for the info. I'll share it with my mom.
  • slobasloba Posts: 3
    Few weeks ago I noticed something like balloon under the driver`s carpet. I mean the place right under my left foot while I am driving. I did not do anything unusual to generate this thing.
    Is there some important part in that space under the driver`s carpet?

thank you in advance!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Has your car been on a service lift lately?

thank you for help!

no, absolutely not.
    as i said, this "airbag" under carpet came up suddenly and according to me without any particular reason?!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Have you examined the car from underneath yet?

Yes of course, and everything is as it used to be.
  • bradyjbradyj Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem but it is inconsistent. My 2000 Century vibrates on and off at highway speeds between 65 and 75 mph. The wheels are balanced and the tires new but the steering conumn still shakes sometimes. Sorry I have no input for you but if you have had a resolution maybe you could share it.
  • what started out as particles in my rad fluid has become a nightmare. :mad:

I have a 2002 Buick Century with 117,000 km (highway)and now I have a huge repair bill coming. I have oil leaking into the antifreeze which requires a head gasket repair.

Has anyone heard of this before? :sick:

:lemon:
  • how do i remove the glove compartment container in my 1999 buick century
  • I had the same problem after buying a new battery. you might want to try removing your battery cables and making sure they are getting a good connection. I am adding to this what I wrote to someone else concerning my problem with the flopping gauges and no-start, that may have been all they did the first time they fixed the problem.

Regarding the problems concerning no start, poor battery cables and gauges that flop to the wrong side, etc. and of course the call for help. I have a 2002-century that started erratically. Based on the age of the battery, I decided a new battery was in order and bought one at Sams Club. Everything was fine for a couple of day, then again the no start problem.
    I stopped at Sams Club and had them tighten the cables, but even after being tightened, there was still a problem with no start
    I had to have one tow and three boosts from AAA. It had to be towed because when it started the gauges all flopped to the right and the driver felt it was best not to run until I found the problem, which I did the next day.
    I reached down and grabbed the cable under the post and with a yank and could feel that it was loose, although the bolt felt tight with the wrench. I felt this could only be caused by the fact the boot wasn’t fitting into the small channel on the battery that is made for it.
    About twenty years ago a friend of mine wholesaled used cars and I would often help him go get the cars he bought, he bought many a Gm that wouldn’t start, they couldn’t even get them through the auction unless they pushed them, we would clean the batteries and cables, but that alone wouldn’t get many of them going, nor would a boost get them going, we would have to cut the ridge off the rubber boot that sealed the battery from outside elements, the boot had got formed to the channel on the battery but wouldn't fit a new battery , and often wouldn’t fit the same battery anymore, this may have come about from the cleaning which would move the boot. Some we even had to put washers on to get the cable/boot a distance from he terminal.
    The channel where the boot fits in to seal between the battery post and plastic on the Sams Club Battery was very narrow, maybe a sixteenth of a inch, I went to Costco and looked at their battery for my model and the channel was about twice as large or more, which made for a better chance of connection, and the post appeared to stick out more, although I didn’t measure it. I bought the Costco battery and put it in and tightened it and it worked perfectly that was three months ago. I took the Sams Club battery back and told them the problem and they said all their batteries had the narrow channel, then they cheerfully refunded my money. I suspect the company that is making the Costco battery is aware of the problem and that is why they have the wide channel. Good luck
    . .
  • hcohnhcohn Posts: 2
    I own a 95 buick century with 75k on it. I've replaced the transmission and alternator in the past four years. Tonight my headlights, turn signals, high beams, break lights, interior lights including the panel stopped working. In addition to that my brake light is on and my electric controls for my seat dont work.

If this problem can be fixed easily I would like to do it myself. The fuses have been checked and seem to be ok. The on/off switch has been suggested as the problem.

I have read previous post about electrical problems but have not seen anything including all lights at once. If anyone can give me some insight soon it would be appreciated. Thanks
  • ok seriously i have a wierd problem. i own a 99 buick century, and can not use any accessories in it. basically what is happening is when i plug something into my cigarette lighter it only has power when the car is off. when i turn the car on it seems it shuts off the power to the lighter and thus any accessories. I havent found anything in the manual or the web on how to rectify this situation, if anyone can think of how to fix this, help is much obliged. real pain to not be able to use a cell phone charger or power adapter or anything.
  • I HAD THIS PROBLEM ALSO ON MY 2002 BUICK CENTURY AT ABOUT 58,000 MILES. I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH OVERHEATING OR ENGINE MISS OR POWER. THE WAY I TOOK CARE OF THIS PROBLEM WAS TO DRAIN ABOUT 1 GALLON OF COOLENT FROM THE SYSTEM AND POUR ABOUT A QUART OF LIQUID CASCADE AUTOMATIC DISH WASHING SOAP IN THE RADIATOR . YOU NEED TO REFIL THE SYSTEM WITH PLAIN WATER AND BLEED ALL THE AIR OUT OF IT. IF YOU DO NOT BLEED THE AIR OUT IT WILL OVERHEAT QUICKLY. AFTER YOU GET ALL THE AIR OUT DRIVE IT ON THE HIGHWAY AND GET THE CAR UP TO NORMAL OPERATING TEMP FOR ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO. I LEFT MINE IN FOR ABOUT 200 MILES. THE REASON BEHIND CASCADE IS IT WILL NOT FOAM LIKE SOAP AND IT BREAKS THE OIL DOWN. AFTER HIS IS DONE HAVE THE SYSTEM FLUSHED AND REFILLED WITH DEXCOOL ANTIFREEZE. AFTER I DID THIS 5000 MILES LATER NO OIL IN COOLANT. I DON'T KNOW WHY,BUT NO MORE OIL.
  • P.S. REDWOODGIRL...I FORGOT TO MENTION TO BE SURE TO TURN YOUR HEATER ON TO GET ALL THE OIL OUT OF YOU HEATER CORE ALSO BEFORE YOU FLUSH AND REFILL THE SYSTEM WITH NEW ANTIFREEZE. I HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU LIKE IT DID FOR ME...GOOD LUCK REDBIRD48
  • hcohnhcohn Posts: 2
    So I took the car in to the shop and they said it was a bad connection and it had to be rewired. it will cost about 210 I hope thats all that needs to be done.
  • tad56tad56 Posts: 1
    Have taken our '99 Century (70,000 miles) to dealership twice. Both times they insisted that the tires were out of round, unbalanced. Not at all the case. (I'd just put new tires on the first time. Put more new ones on the second time. Problem not solved.) PROBLEM: When driving between start and up to about 25 miles per hour, the car feels like the front right and back left tires a waaaay out of round. I can watch my hands moving back and forth on the steering wheel. When getting up to normal speed (45ish +) roughly 90% of the problem goes away. Dealership says they've checked everything and have no idea. (I'll save the electric window system failures for another time.) Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.
  • I had the head gasket replaced, that fixed the problem. Too cold here to run water through the rad.

You would think something as important as the head gasket wouldn't look so flimsy!!!!

But the car is all good now, runs like a champ! :D
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    That condition is almost always caused by a defective tire (usually a shifted belt) or excessive lateral runout in a wheel. Simple task to check the wheels with a runout gauge to verify they're running true.
  • I've got a 98 Buick Century and the mechanic said I needed the owners manual to turn off the light. I bought the car from my grandfather who has alzheimers and he's lost the manual and (obviously) doesn't know where it is. Anybody know how to turn the light off? :confuse:
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The powertrain control computer has detected an out of range signal from one of it's monitored sensor circuits, stored a diagnostic trouble code, and turned on the CEL. Start by having the codes retrieved (AutoZone will do it no charge) and repairing the fault.