Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Century Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I too am having a difficulty with my 96 Buick Century (Custom.)
    One day, a few months ago, there was a puff of smoke coming from the steering column. Immediately, my left turn signal was gone. For a time, I managed to tweak the exposed wire, and the signal would work. (This only happened after the car had warmed up.) Now this does not work, and few people know what a hand signal looks like! As I truly believe in signalling, I have got to get this fixed. Inspection is next month, Is this a minor electrial problem? My other signal works fine.
    Thank you in advance for any helpful advice! I just pray this is not a major fix, as our car has cost us plenty, especially since she was paid off.
  • does it blink at all? or does it just stay solid? sounds like maybe you need a new signal arm or maybe just need a little rewiring??
  • Thank you noodlesknowles!
    When it worked, it blinked. It now now longer works.
    It seems to not be making contact. I hope it is the rewiring.
  • My 1993 Century 3.3L with 47000 miles also ticks after warm-up and does not stop. When I listened close to the motor it sounds like its coming from the intake somewhere. Have you heard from anybody on what this is.
  • I googled them and found my diagram for my 94 v6, I can't seem to find the website so you might have to look a bit but you can get it for free, if you can't find it msg me and i'll scan mine for ya, its a 94 but it should be the same :P
  • went to a dealership they think its either bad piston slap or a rod... they said it could last 5 days or 5 years, but so far it really hasnt gotten worse and its been about 2,000 miles since the post.
  • Hi, I have the same problem...the vibration..please,,,if you have a solution...please send me an e-mail with your opinion...thank you sir...
  • yea man thats just gm
  • yea i gotta 02' century and it does the same thing. i've had it re'aligned, new shocks, balanced and rotated tired and pretty much all i can come up with is the cv joint. cause it only does it when you accelerate or when your turning left. and if someones in the passenger seat then its alot more noticable. this may not be the same problem as yours but it sounded similar so i thought i'd put it out there. does it sound familiar?
  • Hi,
    I'm having a problem with the heat in my 2000 Buick Century. Although I can't find evidence, I suspect I have a leak as I'm filling my antifreeze every two weeks or so. I've checked the floor mats to see if the issue is the heater core leaking, but like I said, no evidence to support this. The "low coolant" light goes on and off, seemingly at random and when coolant is low the heat cycles from hot to cold.
    Any suggestions??

Thanks!
  • Ok, I have some problems with my Buick Century, first, I live in Corona, which is important, because I took it to a local garage out in the Home Gardens area to get the cooling system repaired, and ever since I've gotten it back, I've noticed several things, my low coolant light comes on and then shuts off from time to time, and this is probably what has me worried, but I've noticed smoke coming from under the hood through my vents (I have to drive with my two windows that still work down so that I air the cabin out) and I also noticed that something is leaking inside the car, I don't know what it is, all I know is that is a greenish-teal color with dark particles/brownish stain to it, and it's really got me worried, and I don't know what's wrong? I thought the mechanics told me they fixed it?!!!?!? :mad:
  • hi y'all, i have a 1990 pontiac safari wagon w/a 3.1 6cyl engine - same as the buick century...135kmi...recently it began to hesitate and buck when backing off the accelerator...i had "woody" tuned up and the gas filter changed, but the problem persists and has gotten more dramatic...he has begun to idle roughly...would a 1990 have a engine diagnosis hookup...? if so would it be best to have a dealer track the problem... ?
    thanks for any advice,

steve clark
  • You may have a head gasket leak. The way to verify it is to check to see if your oil level is high. This means your coolant is passing thru the gasket into the motor oil.
    If so, you need to get it fixed asap, as the engine bearings and other lubricated parts will burn up, and you will lose the engine. We had this happen to us with our Century about three years ago. I hope that is not what it is! Good luck!
  • I checked the oil - you were correct, the level was very high. :cry: I'm having it looked at tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
  • My 94 Century 3.1 has developed a cold! In cold weather the starter solenoid won't work, just a clicking sound and the car has a brand new battery. If I jump the solenoid posts the car will start easily. Once warmed up the car starts with no problems, until I let the car sit and it gets cold.
    Do I have to remove the starter to remove the solenoid?
  • I'm sure you found the reset button by now, but this may help others. The reset button for a Buick Century 2000> is located in the fuse box inside the car. It must be held for 3 sec.
  • Had the same problem. i switched my front tires to the back and it fixed the problem!
  • Just had a ice storm and now my wipers are stuck in the upright postion. I change the fuse but the wipers are still
    stuck. What should I do?
  • shebailshebail Posts: 1
    According to the book my vehicle has a computer system
    that lets you know when to change the oil. Concern is
    I now have put 4,735 miles on my Buick 2003 that I bought
    about 6 months ago. Do I go ahead and do it or wait for this
    CHANGE OIL LIGHT to appear?
  • pops86pops86 Posts: 4
    Can anyone help with a problem concerning my outside electric mirrors. They work intermitantly, so it is aggravating trying to set them after my wife drives the car. The fuse is o.k.,I do not want to tear into the door panels without an idea of what I am looking for. Any help is appreciated.
    Your owners manual probably answers your question, but for my '01 it says under no circumstances go longer than 12 months or 16,000 miles, if I recall correctly. I say let the computer do its job.
  • redbird48redbird48 Posts: 17
    I DON'T GET ON HERE MUCH ANYMORE BECAUSE SOME OF THE QUESTIONS ARE ABOUT BUICKS THAT ARE 10 TO 15 YEARS OLD AND SOME ELECTRICAL PARTS AND WINDOW PARTS JUST WEAR OUT WITH USE. THE ANSWER TO THE OIL CHANGE QUESTION IS HOW LONG DO YOU WANT TO DRIVE YOUR CAR WITHOUT A MAJOR ENGINE PROBLEM ? IF YU LEAVE OIL...ANY OIL IN YOUR CAR FOR 16,000 MILES IT WILL HAVE PARTICALS OF CARBON FROM COMBUSTION THAT ACT LIKE LIQUID SANDPAPER GRINDING THE PARTS AND CAUSING MAJOR WEAR. IF YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL AND FILTER AT 3000 MILES YOU WILL MINIMUM WEAR EVEN IF YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR FOR 20 YEARS. IF YOU KEEP THE OIL CLEAN AND NEVER OVERHEAT THE ENGINE IT WILL LAST A VERY LONG TIME.....MY 2 CENTS WORTH RED BIRD
    THE OIL CHANGE LIGHT IS SET TO COME ON AT 7500 MILES AND THAT IS IMOHO 4500 MILES TOO LATE. KEEP THE OIL CLEAN AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.
    GET A CAN OF CANNED AIR THAT YOU USE FOR COMPUTES AND BLOW THE SWITCHES OUT. THEY COULD HAVE DUST AND GRIME ON THE CONTACTS. ALSO IF YOU HAVE THE WINDOWS CRACKED IN A LIGHT RAIN WHILE SITTING STILL WATER WILL DRIP INTO THE WINDOW AND MIRROR CONTROLE BUTTONS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE.
    IF YOU TURNED THE WIPERS ON WHEN THEY WERE FROZEN TO THE WINDSHIELD YOU MORE THAN LIKELY BROKE THE TRANSMISSION GEARS EING AS HOW THEY ARE PLASTIC. YOU MAY HAVE CRACKED OR BROKE THE PIVOT ARM THAT WORKS THE WIPERS. LOOK UNDER THE HOOD IN THE CENTER OF THE CAR WHERE THE PASSENGER WIPER IS CONNECTED TO THE CARA FOR CRACKS OR DAMAGE. IF YOU NEED PARTS ITS DEALER OR WRECKING YARD OLNY TO GET PARTS.
  • herrkaleuherrkaleu Posts: 62
    Last fall I had a tranny fluid change in my 98 Century and was told the swaybar is broken and needs to be replaced in 6 months. Otherwise it might damage the boots. Is that true (the boots I mean)? As I use the car for about 4000 miles a year only I felt safe...
    I was quoted "Front Swaybar w// links $352". Another thing to be done is "right rear trailing arm with alignment $ 236". those are 2006 prices and it might be more now. As my car has a trade in value of $280 (Edmunds) to $ 1100 (KBB) I don't feel like sinking in that much money especially since before winter I need to replace at least two tires and the wiperfluid pump does not work anymore. The car has 138000 miles and gets 17 mpg, as soon as I can afford payments I want to get rid of it, but plan on keeping it as long as possible as it is cheap in insurance and with the few miles I'm driving mileage is not such an issue.
    Do I need to replace the sway bar, can it really cause more damage if I don't? The car drives like an old-grandpa car but is fine for my 2.5 miles work trip. All maintenance (spark plugs, tranny, coolant..) is current and the car would only need oil changes in the future 2 years. Oh, it is dripping some oil.
    If I keep it over the next winter, do I need to perform that "right rear trailing arm with alignment $ 236" repair when I get new tires? They said the tires would wear unevenly. But the current ones are just worn out all over. And if I keep the car for 2 years maximum, for the 8000 miles it will live that does not seem to matter.
    As soon as some nicer small cars with all safety features come out I plan to buy. All 4 things to fix will (sway bar, rear link, wiper pump, 2 tires) will cost me as much as the trade in value is. And I'm afraid that as they start working on the car they might find more. Is it safe to only replace the tires before winter and it won't fall apart before next year? Or should I get rid of it? Ideally I keep it until it ends its life as it does not cost payments and won't depreciate anymore. Is the oil leakage a problem? It seems to be 10 ml on my garage floor in the last months. It seems to be the engine as it looks oily below.
    I could afford new car payments or leasing for $300 a month, but feel as long as the buick repairs stay below that I keep that.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,837
    If they mean that the swaybar has broken loose and might touch the axle joint rubber boots, then just take the sway bar out completely. The car will lean over more (but if the sway bar is actually broken in half, it's already leaning over) but at least it will be out of the way. Most sway bars come out with just a couple of bolts.

The rear trailing arms might affect rear wheel alignment somewhat but considering how little you drive, you could take a long time to wear out a rear tire, and even another new tire is cheaper than the repair by a long shot.

• herrkaleuherrkaleu Posts: 62
    Thanks for the hint. I will have them take it out then. The car rides like a camel anyway. (our main car is a Mazda 3 , compared to that it really is bad :-). I suppse the $350 they quoted me included a new swaybar, I hope taking out the old one will stay below $100. I suppose it poses no risk considering I'm fine withe unstable driving it has always had. (which might be a Buick thing anyway, it drives better than a Kia Rio with 30,000 miles we have at work, even with broken swaybar :-)
    Redbird48, thanks for the info. I'll try it out and let ya'll know.