Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 400h and 450h

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    If there's any aspect of my experience with my Lexus dealer that is unpleasant, it's the ordeal when I take my car in for service. The service writer seems quite annoyed when I tell him what to delete from the list of service items that the dealership recommends. They don't tell you what items they've added over and above what the manufacturer recommends; it's up to you to research it. Doesn't seem right.
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    I agree that they don't like doing it but I always get a customer service survey/followup and when I expressed my dissatisfaction I had the service manager on the phone offering me a credit on my next service and assurances that it wouldn't happen again. Now I just bring in a copy of that page in my manual and they attach it to the work order.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,967
    I just bring in a copy of that page in my manual and they attach it to the work order.

That is fine for the automobile savvy person. When I started adding up the service charges my wife has paid to Lexus in the last 15 years, I was appalled. Most people trust the dealership to be fair and honest. They don't expect they will add a lot of unneeded services or overpriced repairs when they bring their vehicle in for routine maintenance. It was an eye opener for me.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,284
    Some of you folks must live in very dishonest parts of the country. My wife has been driving the original RX300 since 1999 and we have never had any issues with repairs, routine maintenance, etc. with our dealer here in the Midwest. The costs have been very reasonable. We are looking forward the the RX400h, but we hope they somehow include the Laser Cruise Control option. The dealer said we might be able to special order it.
  • In a press release today, Lexus announced the gas mileage rating will be 31/27, not 30/26 as in previous reports. Not a big deal, but better than nothin'.
    Yes indeed, this is good news. I am thinking that it may go even higher as more testing is done. How did you get this press release? Is there a link? Also, did they say aything more about the options (like Laser Cruise Control or smart key possibilities)?
  • There are several similar articles out today that include this information. Here is one link:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050228/lam053_1.html

I keep checking the official press release site, but nothing so far ...

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display.html?kw=RX400h
    I was browsing around this evening & lo & behold I went to NewCarTestDrive.com to see if they have a review on the RX400H. They now do have a review. As I am posting this, I only read the first page, but I was astonished to read that among the options, this review states that Dynamic Laser Cruise Control is indeed one of the options. I hope this is accuarate & not an assumption made by this review. That is absolutely awesome as long as it is true since I am of the opinion that this option is incredibly important. I love this feature on my LS430. If true, then the decision is already made for my wife and I without any hesitation. We are on the waiting list as my wife will be trading her original RX300 for the new hybrid. Now, if only the smart key will also be included as an option. Here is the link to the review. I had trouble supplying the entire link (it cuts out the end). Just go to this website, new car reviews, SUV, & the first one on the list is the RX400h.

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2006_Lexus_RX 400h
    The regular RX 330 isn't exactly an off-road vehicle, either, but it handles gravel roads just fine. The RX 400h, on the other hand, should stick to the pavement or risk damaging the hybrid drivetrain.

I cannot imagine anyone buying an SUV that did not plan to go off road at least occasionally. I realize most don't. The RX400h cannot without risking damage to the electric motors. That boggles my mind.

PS
    The review was done in September 2004. I was there and saw them cruising the island...
    Yes, that's what the review says, but it also states that slippery surfaces, and snow & ice are no problem for the RX400h. As far as the gravel road statement is concerned, I'm sure that it's not as bad as this makes it out to be. Surely, they must mean large sized rather than small sized gravel. On one of the statements it says that you do not want to take this vehicle off road through bolders. Obviously, this vehicle is not for those that need to do off road driving. We could not care less about this type of driving. We never do this sort of driving. I would venture to guess that most other folks don't either.
    I was thinking of a muddy road to your favorite fishing hole or cabin....
  • michael2003michael2003 Posts: 144
    Thanks for the links to the articles. I was wondering though, how do you think the writer came up with a figure of 67% highway mileage improvement. If the RX330 has an EPA est. of 24, wouldn't the RX400 only be about 12% improvement, although the city mileage improvement is close to a 70% improvement (where the article mentions over 100%).
  • I don't know how the writer came up with the 67% figure. My guess is that some writers are confused by the City mileage being higher than the Hwy mileage on hybrids. Probably just a simple mistake. The 100% improvement comment probably makes sense based on other V8s, which are typically around 15 MPG.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    quote gagrice-"I cannot imagine anyone buying an SUV that did not plan to go off road at least occasionally."-end quote

Welcome to the silly world of "SUV" drivers.

The last stats I saw printed were that 80% of SUV owners never go "off road" other than a little mud or minor snow in the course of normal driving.

The 400h is certainly capable of that.....
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Posts: 210
    Last two stats on this I saw were 5% and 8% of SUV owners actually did significant off-roading (that is, more than grass/shallow mud).

And I have no trouble believing it. Here in the Houston area, SUVs are incredibly common. For what? It never snows, and the landscape is flatter than the last 4 years of the Dow.

Most people drive them for (perceived) status (relative to a minivan) and/or because options for big station wagons are very limited.
  • birgerbirger Posts: 80
    Hi, everyone

I do not think the writer misunderstood anything. He very clearly states: "The RX 400h enjoys a 67-percent edge in fuel efficiency over the RX 330 in the EPA's City cycle, earning 30/26 mpg City/Highway."

Cheers from Luxembourg,
    Birger
  • This comment was from a different quote than the one you cited,

"EPA certification of fuel economy ratings has now been confirmed. The RX 400h's EPA-estimated combined fuel economy rating of 29 mpg is better than the average for compact sedans and is an improvement over the previously reported number. Also better than earlier reports, highway fuel economy is EPA-estimated at 27 mpg, an improvement of 67 percent over the RX 330 -- already one of the best in its class. Finally, at 31 mpg, the city rating for the 400h exceeds most V8-equipped luxury SUVs by more than 100 percent."

It comes from this article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050228/lam053_1.html

Cheers from snowy Michigan
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,793
    "Welcome to the silly world of "SUV" drivers.

The last stats I saw printed were that 80% of SUV owners never go "off road" other than a little mud or minor snow in the course of normal driving.

The 400h is certainly capable of that....."

Well, I use my CR-V for light off roading, going to national monuments (Chaco Canyon in NM comes to mind). I wouldn't want a vehicle that couldn't handle muddy washboard roads; I used every inch of my ground clearance the last trip, plus fording several inches of water, and the rear wheels were engaging constantly.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    I had a 4wd CR-V once too, and I "off-roaded" with it several times while I owned it, once scaring my sister going through a big hole that made the CR-V tilt at an alarming angle.

So I agree that a little minor "offroad fun" is indeed FUN.

But a $45K SUV offroading for fun? Seems kinda wasteful to me.

If you need that off road capability, buy a cheaper 4wd SUV for that and use the Lexus as your "family car."
    But a $45K SUV offroading for fun? Seems kinda wasteful to me.

Paying $45k-$55k for an SUV that isn't really an SUV is what seems like a waste. For those that think Toyota is a smart automaker. This RX400h is not a smart move. For the 20% that do go out in the back country with their new toy and burn up the hybrid system, Lexus will have to foot the bill. For me it may be worth it just to get even for all the times they over charged us on the LS400. I think I would buy the Highlander, it is better looking.
  • tempusvntempusvn Posts: 119
    "Paying $45k-$55k for an SUV that isn't really an SUV is what seems like a waste."

All those Porsche Cayenne Turbo buyers must be feeling pretty bad about now then.
    All those Porsche Cayenne Turbo buyers must be feeling pretty bad about now then.

On the contrary. The Cayenne and sister Touareg are very fine off road vehicles. The Touareg just took two of the first 5 places in the Dakar 5k+ mile race across the Sahara. They are in a much higher league than the RX wannabe SUVs.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    If you want a "real SUV" that can climb Mt. Everest then buy the 4Runner, Land Cruiser or Lexus LX 470. The RX is primarily for those people who need all wheel drive when the whether turns bad.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A. ON-ROAD
    B. OFF-ROAD
    C. SPORT OFF-ROAD.

The RX series is just fine for A&B.
  • birgerbirger Posts: 80
    Hi, frenchorne

Sorry about that - I got the sources mixed up.

Cheers from also snowy (but not as much as Michigan, I'm sure) Luxembourg

Birger
  • hejohejo Posts: 4
    i had the pleasure to drive an 400h Prototype yesterday for about one hour.
    Overall impression : very positive!
    In my opinion however the Toyota engineers designed the drive control with focus on power, accelleration, sportive behavoir more than fuel efficiency.
    It seems they want to excite / impress / convince the press with the sportive characteristics.
    I think their main marketing approach is to demonstrate a power Hybrid.
    Consequence : The accelleration is better than that of a 10cyl Touareg, the subjective feeling of the torque provided by the electric motors from zero is difficult to describe in words!
    It seems that sound design - imitation of the behavior (sound and rpm) of a conventional engine only driven car causes compromises on fuel efficiency!
    My personal impression was that is is more difficult than i expected to drive really fuel efficient, but it is possible!
    Other testdrivers confirmed that 45M/G can be achieved even under difficult conditions (stop and go, cities etc) .
    I wished Toyota would implement a switch / choice for Sport/power and E for lowest possible fuel consumption.

In Germany a laser distance cruise control is definitely not available.

Greetings from Germany
  • hejohejo Posts: 4
    btw :

i ordered the 400h in luxury version (incl sound system, metallic paint and roof window) .
    We have to pay here in Germany 60.000 Euro = 78.000 US$
  • First Ting: Selling 10-15k units of ANY vehicle, and getting FULL MSRP for it is a Smart Move!

Creating an SUV with nearly TWICE the Cargo area (seat up), twice the efficiency, twice the quality, serious advantages in resale and luxury features over rigs like Tourage, Cayenne S, X5, and FX, while offering similar speed is a Great Move!

And my special #2, the Lexus LS has NEVER been overpriced. It's STILL underpriced by $10-15K! You were joking, right?

DrFill
    And my special #2, the Lexus LS has NEVER been overpriced. It's STILL underpriced by $10-15K! You were joking, right?

I did not say the LS400 was over priced. I said the service and repairs were over priced. $18k to date on our 1990 LS400. The last straw was when they gave us an estimate to fix all the little nagging problems like gas gauge $1200 etc, for a total estimate of $5,900. I found an independent Lexus shop and had all the work done for $1,100 dollars including parts and labor. The LS400 is a fine vehicle, I am not impressed with the dealers. My wife traded a Mercedes for it and has liked the car after getting the initial handling bugs worked out. Still gets 19/27 mpg so they have not improved that aspect on the new LS.
    i ordered the 400h in luxury version (incl sound system, metallic paint and roof window) .
    We have to pay here in Germany 60.000 Euro = 78.000 US$

How much of that price is tax? If Lexus can get that kind of money in Europe they may not bring many to the States.