Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Transport Companies

Comments

• tombeatombea Posts: 2
    I selected this company based on their references and their BBB
    reputation. Unfortunately they missed the mark on my move in several ways.
    The original pick up date was 12-21-05. Unfortunately, while they say it was
    scheduled for that date, no one bothered to tell the seller of the car that
    was the day.

After I reached the seller and told him the first date had to be cancelled
    because he didn't know it was coming, he asked if we could schedule the move
    after the Christmas holiday. The move
    was scheduled for 12-28-05. I contacted the seller the morning of the 28th
    and he said that no one had called him. I contacted Tn'T and told them that
    someone had
    to call this man! They finally called him and the pick up was confirmed.

After the pick up the car went to a 'terminal' where it sat for the next 12
    days. Tn'T was unable to schedule a carrier, probably because all of the
    carriers were going down I-95 with the snowbirds and not to my location. Any
    transportation company should have known this happens at this time of year
    but evidently that fact blew right by the folks at Tn'T.

After a call from their 'customer service' representative, I
    became really concerned. She had arranged a Sunday pick up for my car but
    that entailed leaving the car outside where anyone could have 'picked' it
    up. The terminal manager didn't do this because my car was a Mazda Miata
    with a V-8 engine in it, and he knew it would be gone if he left it outside.
    Now tell me folks, would you even want your regular family car to sit
    outside of a Philadelphia terminal on a Sunday awaiting some carrier who
    might or might not arrive? If you don't want this, then you need to find
    another carrier, because evidently these folks don't mind doing it!

Now comes the laugher. After I told them on Monday the 9th that if they
    couldn't find a carrier by Wednesday afternoon the 11th, that I would fly
    to Philadelphia and pick up the car and drive it to Atlanta myself, they
    cancelled the contract. They did it by claiming that my car violated this
    portion of the contract;
    "Unless otherwise noted, all pricing is predicated upon vehicle being fully
    operational and factory standard vehicle dimensions.". The customer service then states, "As you have stated, this vehicle has been modified and therefore does not
    adhere to the terms of our contract."

In the first place this portion of the contract concerned pricing and could
    have been resolved by simply saying that I owed more money. The dimensions
    of the vehicle were stock, changing the engine doesn't change the body.
    Evidently these folks know cars about as well as they know carriers. I can't
    believe that any competent attorney approved such garbage. You don't think it could have been because they couldn't find a carrier to fulfill their contract,
    that the fault became mine, do you?

My vehicle was operational and met all outside dimensions of a stock Miata. In other words, it was a stock Miata as far as hauling is concerned. What they did by
    claiming this was a violation of the contract, was to potentially make EVERY modification that you might have made to your car a possible reason for invalidating your contract. Especially if they can't find a carrier. Add a rear view mirror that isn't stock, then if it isn't an exact replacement and you have
    technically violated their contract. If you have modified your vehicle in any way, you might want to take this interpretation of dimensions into account when
    selecting a carrier!

As for keeping in touch, yes if you initiate the contact! The only company
    initiated contact I had from them was when the customer service representative called me on Tuesday the 3rd to say they were 'actively searching' for a carrier and then on Saturday morning the 7th to say that her Sunday pick-up had fallen through. Thank goodness for small favors.

There are others out there that are far better than Tn'T. Do yourself a
    favor and find them.
  • I AM A LONG HAUL TRUCK DRIVER (DO NOT HAUL CARS) AND LATE LAST YEAR (2005) AS I SAT IN A TRUCK STOP IN VIRGINIA BEACH, VA WATCHED A CAR TRANSPORT TRUCK DRIVER BACK AN OLD, BUT NICE, RED CORVETTE OFF OF THE BOTTOM LEVEL. HE GOT HALF WAY DOWN THE RAMP, AND DROVE THE CORVETTE STRAIGHT OFF THE RAMP. THE CAR ENDED UP WITH ITS RIGHT REAR TIRE/FENDER SLAMMING TO THE GROUND AND THE FRONT LEFT TIRE HOOKED ON THE RAMP POINTING TO THE SKY.....I FELT SORRY FOR THE OWNER...WHOMEVER IT WAS. HEAR THAT PASSPORT TRANSPORT/HORSELESS CARRIAGE ARE 2 OF THE BEST. EXOTIC TRANSPORT OUT OF FLORIDA ALSO. JUST FROM CONVERSATIONS BETWEEN TRUCK DRIVERS OUT ON THE ROAD.
  • Thanks for the recommendations, and glad to have you in the Forums - Welcome!

(PS - If you type without the CAPS LOCK on, it makes it easier for others to read your posts - thanks!)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    I'll vouch for Passport and Horseless carriage. Also Gold Rush Motorsports.

They are who deliver our Lamborghinis, all very professional. Which is more than I can say about Lufthansa air cargo but I digress... they sent a sold car to LAX instead of JFK last month.
  • tombeatombea Posts: 2
    Yes, and don't forget Exotic Car Transport. Vehicles are handled by drivers who are used to doing this and the owners of the business have a keen sense of the financial and physical attachments we have with our cars. Their prices are extremely reasonable for enclosed carriers.
    Tom
  • Merely go to www.labbb.org (Los Angeles Better Business Bureau) and do a check on the Car Carrier... A grade of "F"...

The problems I had with these guys are unbelievable... Including my car getting a parking ticket while it was in their custody!!! Never mind 2 week late delivery...

Customer Service HORRENDOUS... 4 or 5 young women who answer the phone and NEVER let you talk to "TOM", the manager...

STAY **FAR** AWAY...
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    Do you notice that most people posting to this topic generally are new members who post ONE time and are rarely heard from again???
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ... **Do you notice that most people posting to this topic generally are new members who post ONE time and are rarely heard from again??? ..**

You mean ........ like the ones that say they paid $1,500 back of invoice, minus the holdback and then they got the $1,000 incentive money - plus they received Nada retail for their trade.?? ... you read those "one posters" all the time over at the "prices paid" forum ..l.o.l..

It's funny, the other posters will ask for the dealers name, a contact source or just a little help - and all they ever get is the sound of crickets ....

I gotta give Kyfdx alot of credit for having the patience to read all of that "stuff" ......... :sick:

Terry ;)
  • Why would anyone come back? Like me, I had a bad experience and wanted someplace to vent... What else would there be to say on this subject?
  • Husband wants to purchase a truck on ebay alot is involved to get temp tag from DMV. We live in Maryland truck is in Chicago that is about 800 miles from us would you advise getting it shipped or going to DMV. It sounds like alot of some risk in getting a truck shipped. Thanks in advance. Buff
  • I have a dealer in CA interested in buying my car. In the negotiations, he's going way down on the price because of his shipping costs. I'd like to know about what shipping costs might be so I can negotiate better. Any ideas?
  • porsche88porsche88 Posts: 1
    I would strongly recommend that you steer clear of these companies. Had a very unfavorable experience with them.
  • eshapseshaps Posts: 1
    Reading the previous posts makes me wonder if we should hire a transport company! What horror stories!

We are looking to ship our Jeep Cherokee from NYC to Chicago (open transport/door to door). Has anyone had a good experience with any transport companies going to Chicago????
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,914
    If it were me.... I'd take a cheap Southwest flight one-way to NYC, then drive it back to Chicago.. You can probably get it done for $400 including ticket, shuttle and gas.... and about 18 hours of your time...

I never hear anything good about car transport companies..

regards,
    kyfdx
    (not the host here)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I shipped my Infiniti SUV from Chicago to Sacarmento and had no problems. It was 3 years ago and if I can find my invoice I will let you know the name of the company.
  • msunc02msunc02 Posts: 1
    They're the rudest people on the phone. They will never return your phone calls. Being treated in this manner, you can't trust this company with your car. Don't even bother calling.
  • To research car shipping companies its best to do your own research. You can use the BBB and www.safersys.org to find out information on them. Their is also transport reviews. The bbb and other pros suggest getting a few quotes to compare, at least 3. You can do that here auto transport or other transport portals that allow you to compare shipping rates.
  • As many professional say in the industry - compare a few companies before jumping the gun. Also dont use one source to research companies after getting quotes. There are sites like Auto Transport for quotes, or Auto Moves . Than research companies and reviews online. You will save yourself a super headache!
  • Thanks for the info, but posting it once is enough. It starts to look like spam/advertising if you continue to post the same links in every post (even if you don't intend it that way).

If you want to create a permanent reference to these links for all members to visit, or want to offer even more advice on transporting vehicles, you can set it all up on your CarSpace page at http://www.carspace.com/stevo12

Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• They are horrible! They take your stuff just fine, but then they never answer their phone and they lie lie lie! if you use them you better have a bundle of cash to cover any extra costs!!!! :mad: