Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Transport Companies

13»

Comments

• Transporting a car? Great. IF you end up using a broker remember you'll be paying a lot MORE than going directly to the trucking company. THEN to add insult to injury some brokers, like I.C.S out of MO, turn around and do NOT pay their transporter (the truck). So next time you have a complaint about a time delay, remember it is most likely the broker who could not find a truck, or refused to pay the truck enough to transport your vehicle. Be careful as well when using places like I.C.S. Because not only will they charge your credit card over and over, but then the trucking company comes after YOU to be paid because I.C.S refuses to pay their bills! Even after YOU paid I.C.S for the transport!
  • Use a car shipping portal to compare quotes. Than go with the one your feel best about and have done your research. is a good start.
  • Use car transport service like this one. Than after you get your quotes delivered to you do your research and choose.
  • Autotrail Transport, affiliated with A Eastern Connection, should not be in business! Read all the negative reviews at http://www.transportreviews.com/company/autotrail.asp !!! There are numerous complaints on BBB site also. They are extremely sneaky and trick customers into their lies and unfair business practice. They yell at you if you try to call, charge all sorts of fees, make you feel guilty, and hang up on you! STAY AWAY from this headache and I wish we could somehow get their license suspended. Companies like this should not be allowed to lie to people and cash in millions of dollars from unsuspecting customers.

If you are another unfortunate victim of this company, post your reviews, file a complaint on BBB's site, contact FMCSA, do whatever it takes! Your time and effort will be much appreciated if it can prevent others from falling into the traps of this aweful company. I don't know all the laws but I certainly think that this type of business practice is illegal. Cheating and lyeing should not be tolerated and Autotrail/A Eastern should not be in business!
  • Other useful site to get free auto transport quotes.
  • mmadoxmmadox Posts: 1
    you may want to check out http://www.haulingdepot.com they were able to find me a reasonable quote as well as a reliable transporter
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    Who ended up being your transporter? Sorry for asking, but that link has been posted several times by brand-new members, which, without posting any specific information makes it look like a "shill" and not a post from a legitimately satisfied customer.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• his car was picked up on time and delivered on time with no damage?
    he was lucky
  • BBB is definitely a good idea. Another is to work directly with the company that is transporting your car. I sell parts to the guys who run the big rigs, and you simply would not believe what goes on-- brokers charge to pick up a car, then string along a trucker for months at a time.
  • I certainly understand what you are talking about with heavily biased and unreliable online autoshipping reviews. One really has to put their time in not to get scammed. Anyways, I think I may be able to help you get some quality quotes and companies, scam free.

After about two weeks of diligent research, I think I found the best auto shipping quote website. Personally, I need to ship my Volvo from CT to CO in a few weeks and have been woeful about making a decision. But not so much anymore.

As a result of how hard it was for me to find a good site and good company I wrote a post on an autoshipping blog with some useful information, and in it there is a quick paragraph about my favorite autotransport website along with a link to them.

Check it out: AutoShippingForU Blog

Good luck sir.
  • featherzfeatherz Posts: 26
    I just had my Jeep shipped from CA to NY by Golden Key Express and I highly recommend them. Came within the estimate, no damage, and they were very accommodating. Not the lowest price, but not the highest either. ($1200).
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    You register today and your first post is a solicitation post.It`s obvious you work for the company.Edmunds doesn`t allow solicitation on these boards.
    And the more you post ads like these,make no mistake,folks would certainly NOT ship through your company.And the hosts and mods will eventually catch up! ;)
  • Last February I contracted through an online service called uship.com to have my car hauled. The bid was accepted from one car hauler, who then subbed the job out (unknown to me) to Safe Way Auto Transport out of Kuttawa, Kentucky. The car was a vintage, near mint 1966 Mustang that my father in law had given us and we were having it hauled from Kentucky to New Hampshire. When Safe Way Auto Transport picked up the car they immediately damaged it when loading it onto the truck, as the front point of the hood was lifted into the front of another car as the operator positioned the mustang. The hood had a gouge and damage to the chrome trim piece. My father in law (a retired car hauler himself) was there when the car was loaded, and commented that he had never seen anyone not know what they were doing like this operator. During the course of transporting my Mustang, the operator had to move it to make way for another car he was picking up, and this time he completely smashed and destroyed the passenger side headlamp, bezel and assembly.

The damage was pointed out to me (hard not to notice it) when they dropped the car off, and they promised to get me a check to repair it quickly.

The owners of Safe Way Auto Transport, Frank and Linda, requested that I get two insurance estimates. I took the car to two different body shops, and got estimates for just over $1,700 to have the repairs made. Both shops were within $50 of each other on their estimates. Then, Frank and Linda requested pictures of the damage, so I sent them two pictures taken with a cell phone. They sent these two pictures to a "desktop appraiser" who then gave them a repair estimate of $1,200+, without having even seen the car or the extent of the damage. To make things worse, the desktop appraiser admitted that he had to go by an estimating manual that only went back to the 1987 Mustang, since that was the oldest he had. Numerous times Frank told me that there were aftermarket parts available cheaply through catalogs to make these repairs. More than once, the body shop who did the work on the car told frank that aftermarket metal parts did not usually fit and had to be modified at the shop, and they were far inferior to OEM parts on a vintage car. They questioned the labor rates ($40/hour from their desktop appraiser vs. $60 from both shop estimates due to the fact that the car was vintage) more than once. The bottom line is that I contracted with Safe Way Auto Transport to haul a vintage car, and they accepted responsibility for it with a "guarantee" to deliver it undamaged.

Frank and Linda made it clear that this was not an insurance claim since it was below their $2,500 deductible. They first tried to get the body shop to accept their desktop, 1987 based estimate and after two months I finally told the repair shop to go ahead and fix the car while I sorted out the payment. After repairs were made, Frank and Linda then offered me Just over $1,200 LESS a $250 "deductible" (for a non-insurance claim) that would have paid me just over $900 for a $1,700 plus repair bill. This is just one instance where Frank and Linda flat out lied during the course of this transaction.

Since he lives in Kentucky and is a retired car hauler himself, my father in law asked if he could get involved. He had several phone conversations with Frank and Linda. During the course of these talks, my father in law was able to get the money released from the original hauler who had subcontracted the hauling job to Safe Way Auto Transport. The original hauler was holding onto the money until Safe Way Auto Transport settled the claim with us, and this created a catch 22. After we convinced the original hauler to pay Safe Way Auto Transport the money they owed them, Safe Way Auto Transport then turned around and told us, sorry, we're only going to pay you $1,200 to settle this claim. So I am out almost $600 out of pocket because of the incompetent car haulers Safe Way Auto Transport and the dishonest lying owners Frank and Linda.

There are literally dozens if not hundreds of car haulers available to haul your car or boat, and the internet makes it so much easier to find a good reputable one who stands by their business and backs up their guarantees. With so many decent haulers out there, do not make the same mistake I made of doing business with dishonest, incompetent people like Frank and Linda of Safe Way Auto transport. People like this only give an industry a bad name, and unfortunately through no choice of mine, our paths just happened to cross. Don't take the chance. Use a reputable car hauler for your vehicle and don't end up wasting six months of your life fighting over a repair bill for incompetence.

For the record also, if you solicit bids from uship.com to have a car hauled, they will gladly take your money but in the event your car is damaged they do nothing to help correct the situation. It makes it more difficult to resolve the issue because you have paid a third party to get the services of a second party. If I do this again, I will get the name of a hauler off of uship and then contact the hauler directly myself.
13»