Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• aaronmaaronm Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 F250 Super Duty with the 5.4. I knew the truck would be thirsty. However, i m still looking for ways to improve MPG's. which will give me the best results? Air intake, exhaust, hypertech programmer, Ect..ect..?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    500 miles is about right. These diesels (and this applies to the Cummins and Duramax too) need to be worked in order to break in properly... that means getting them loaded and giving the engine something to do besides hauling an empty truck around.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• adiheadadihead Posts: 4
    My truck: 1996 Ford F-250 7.3 L power stroke

The problem: Flashing wait to start light- truck shuts off and will not restart until wait to start light comes back on. Is random, has no warning, no pattern to problem, only does it every few days. Truck also develops a very mild skip just prior to truck shutting off. After truck starts, skip doesn't seem to be present until problem occurs again. I have replaced the following: Crankshaft sensor, IDM Module, PCM, fuel pump, fuel heater, ignition switch, removed and cleaned all known or visible grounds, changed type of oil from delo 15w40 to shell rotella 15w40. I am completely at a loss as to what is causing this problem. Can you help? Thanks
  • lzrdking98lzrdking98 Posts: 40
    I bought a 2006 F250 and broke it in at 500 miles. After which I installed the hypertech programmer and set it at stage 2. I am loving it. Incredible hp, and torque. I love the shift patterns and firmness as well. Most of all, I was getting 12mpg, but now after install of programmer I am getting 17.2 and climbing. So far, I highly recommend this product.

Troy
  • rriggsrriggs Posts: 1
    This is my 86 year old father's truck so my facts are second hand. He says sometimes the fuel is drawn from one tank only and at other times it draws both down together --as this is over a period of days or weeks it is not possible to correctly evaluate his handling of the situation.... Two questions:
    1. is the electric fuel switching valve similar to a chevy unit that defaults to the main tank in the event of valve failure?
    2. Is the truck plumbed in anyway that would allow fuel to be drawn from both tanks simultainiously?
    Any diagrams or schematics would be appreciated Thanks, rriggs :confuse:
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    I have to do this from memory, since these trucks are long gone from my possession.

In my 1990 and 1993 F150s with dual tanks, the valve setup was such that, as long as it was working correctly, fuel could only be drawn from the tank selected on the dash. When the valve malfunctions (stays open), what usually happens is, fuel is drawn from the selected tank, but some will actually spill back into the tank not selected since the passage is open. This would have the opposite effect than what your dad describes... the other tank would actually gain some fuel.

It would be a multiple malfunction to draw fuel from both tanks, since not only would the valve be stuck, but the fuel would have to somehow be pumped from both tanks.

If your dad's 250 is indeed losing fuel from both tanks simultaneously, then there is definitely a problem that needs attention, though.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stoyebstoyeb Posts: 2
    Okay, I am about to spend $40K+ on a truck and trying to decide which will be the best truck.. Ford F250 crew cab 6.0 powerstroke or the Dodge equivelant, 2500 crew cab with the cummins engine..
    Will be using it for alot of highway miles(commute) but will be using it for heavy work on the farm too, along with towing a trailer with tractors and equipment on it...
    I have been a Ford truck owner forever, but it really seems like the cummins engine is really reliable..
    If anyone has any input good or bad for either of these trucks I would appreciated..
    thanks in advance,
    Brad
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Cummins is the best engine, but I still think Ford is the best truck overall. Also, Ford has now had 3 years to dial in the 6.0 Powerstroke, so while it still isn't a Cummins, the engine is very well behaved now (compared to the '03 models). In my opinion, Ford also has the better transmission.

In my experience Ford trucks seem to hold together better over time. I don't farm, but I do beat the snot outta my '01 F-350, and it doesn't give me any problems.... A couple of my friends with Dodges can't say that. They've been getting nickled and dimed to death after their warranties have expired. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure you can find a load of Dodge owners who can refute that. :confuse:
  • sequoia6sequoia6 Posts: 2
    My husband purchased an F250 in April of 2004. SAME PROBLEM AS YOU DISCRIBED. This is a HUGE safety issue. Had it in the shop numerous times (even before warranty went out, now has 43,000 miles). Ford has NEVER attempted to replace anything, scratch their heads and recommending to buy him out for an ridicuosly small amount and recommend he purchase another ford. I wouldn't take another ford if it was given to me. The lack of integrity shown by this manufacturer is beyond words. I believe it will take numerous lawsuits to have ford admit there is a problem. It's a cheaper approach.....much more expensive to do a recall and actually stand behind what you produce.
    Let me know if you have more responses or find anything out. Sorry your also dealing with this piece of "Sh_t"
  • sequoia6sequoia6 Posts: 2
    Go with the Dodge. My ex has always driven Dodge and never had any trouble. My husband drives a Ford and it is always in the shop. Holds up to the name "Foung On Road Dead!!!!!!!!!"
  • f250guyf250guy Posts: 9
    Could some people please tell me what kind of mpg they are getting, and if they have any sucess with upgrades, bio diesel..etc? I have a 04 6 litre diesel 4x4, and at 90.00 a fill up..its killing me :sick: Thanks in advance...
  • Even though I love my 2001 F250 Diesel (and have had very few problems with it), I had always heard that Ford stood for Fix or Repair Daily.

At the time I bought it (new), it was the only Diesel 4 door truck available - and I've never regretted my decision.
  • Different year, different engine, but my 2001 7.3L normally gets just under 15 mpg in town. I got just over 16 mpg this last tank, but there was a 60 mile trip out of town on that tankful.

I've been using Love Diesel - it tends to be the most reasonably priced here in town. They sell lots of it, so I know it hasn't been sitting in a tank a long time collecting water from condensation.
  • lzrdking98lzrdking98 Posts: 40
    I get 17-18 MPG. Just towed a 10,000lb trailer and averaged 15 mpg for the trip. I am very pleased so far with MPG. It should get better. My truck has only 1000 miles on it. Good luck
  • ls1fanls1fan Posts: 2
    Anyone had the front tow hook bolts snap off? Was pulling another truck out of the sand, had tow strap wrapped around both front hooks to equal out the load and the bolts on the drivers side hook sheared completely off..all 3 of them.
    I can install new bolts but it bent the bumper too.
  • f250guyf250guy Posts: 9
    Thanks to all of you who responded..I reallllly appreciate the input about milage and such..cheers.. ;)
  • Why isn't there a floor console in the F-250 Lariat as there is in the F-150?
  • My 01 F-250 Lariat super cab has a floor console similar to the one I had in my 99 F-150, might be an option that is included with the captain chairs.
  • As for the wheel hop, I have the same truck, and the wheel hop is very scary...especially when going over bridges or bumps when road surfaces change. It seems like the truck wants to jump off of the road...severe hopping, all four tires...almost like the shocks are not doing a thing (or doing too much). Slowing down to about 40mpg causes the problem to correct itself...Extremely dangerous!!! Stock F250 Super Duty...What can be done to fix this...is there a Fix from Ford? I would think that a lot more people have seen this...