Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• I've got the 2001 F-250 SD w/7.3 L and am in the process of researching aftermarket gauges to install. Have it narrowed down to DiPricol (love these suckers!) pyro, tran temp, and boost. I am a little unsure as to what range of boost gauge I should get. I have a buddy that has a new Cummins and says a 0-30# would work but thought I'd ask some people who probably have one installed already. 0-30, 0-35 (leaning towards this one), or 0-60. What do you guys recommend? Thanks for your time.
  • sowardssowards Posts: 2
    I have just purchased a 2001 ford f250 super duty and i am thinking about buying american racing assualt..black wheels 22 inch. I need suggstions on tires please, thank you.
  • sowards, Not sure if you are looking for street tires or offroad. In the past I have been a huge fan of BFGoodrich tires. Had some M/T's on a Ford Bronco I had and loved them ... they wore well although a tad loud on the highway (that's the price you pay). :) I had A/T's on it before and they were an excellent tire as well but lacked the aggressiveness I wanted at the time.

On my SD I am now running with Toyo Open Country A/T (was very tempted to get the M/T's) and love em. They are quiet yet when up in the mountains hauling firewood or just fooling around I get plenty of traction. I have heard from numerous people that they last a long time and wear well if properly rotated. They handle wet conditions and have only hydroplaned briefly when the water had accumulated in grooves on the interstate and I was driving too fast for the conditions! lol They also handle great on snow and ice.

These are the only tires I use and have nothing but good things to say about them. It all depends on what you are looking for. Hope this may help you. Good luck!
    (if you want, drop me an e-mail address and I'll send ya some pics of the Toyo's on my truck).

stevo
  • sowardssowards Posts: 2
    Yeah i would like to see those pictures of the toyo's. this is actually his son typing, my dad isn't very good with computers lol, my email address is storm_sowards1hotmail.com, my dad wasn't in detail enough, he actually wasn't detailed enough with his post, he wants sizes of tires that would fit on the truck. he really wants 22' rims but he doesn't know if it is a good idea on this type of truck. do you have any other suggestions on sizes of rims and tires for the super duty. He can get the 22' assualts for $225 apiece and is trying to keep the cost with tires around 1900-2100 if possible. He doesn't have to have the assualts as long as its a black rim and costs less than $2200 w/ tires. off road look would be best if possible. thanks for your help and suggestions.
  • I am sure someone has replied by now but you never know. There is a neutral safety switch on the underside that could be your problem. I had to replace mine (long story ... inadvertantly went off-roading in icy conditions) and I need to adjust it as occasionally I too have to place the truck in neutral (sometimes I have to cycle through them a few times and put it back in neutral) to get it started AND I lost my reverse lights (will work once I get off my butt and adjust the switch). Hope this helps.

stevo
  • Have to correct myself as it isn't called the neutral safety switch ... but the Transmission Range sensor.
  • hi guy do you guy no if they fix the spark plug in the 03 f250 are not and can i tower in od towing 7000 have v10 and 430 gear i like the tuck but i not no to much about it. :D
  • gpatgpat Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 F250 with the 6.0L. 62k miles, serviced religiously. Very few problems until last week when a bolt broke on a piston rod and destroyed the entire block. A total freak accident according to the dealer. They, the dealer, gave me a quote of $15,000 for a replacement engine. That's 15 with three zeros! Just insane. Still not sure what I'm going to do. Anyone have a similar story?
  • Let me be blount about this I have a 03 6.0 deisel @ 97000 mile it blew the head gasket while i was on vacation 200 miles away from home pulling a camper the dealer was one week behind and could not do it so when i got it home took it to fort mill ford where i was jacked around for 6 months said there was nothing wrong with it but i took it camping 5 more times and everytime it over heated blew the coolent out but they couldnt find anything wrong with it so i took it to a 3rd dealer who said yes it has a blown head gasket but now it has 10600 miles on it and ford stand is its out of warrenty and we are not paying for it cant you just feel the love here
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    f-2504x4 steam coming out exhaust my first thought head gasket but no egr valve needed replaced. next week oil in the radiator my thought head gasket but no injector cups. we will see what comes down the pike next. :sick:
  • I have a F250 4X4 auto trans, 191k miles, yesterday the light began flashing on my shift lever and transmission began to shift hard from 2nd through 4th gears with a noticable thud and jerk. What is the cause and likely cost?
  • I have a Ford F250 Lariat. It does not have the heated seats option. How hard is it to get this option installed? Isn't the wiring already there? How much would it cost and can it be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • i have a 2003 lifted ford f250 superduty turbodiesel. its real nice but i want better gas mileage and more horses. any recommendations on what chip would be best. i heard a triple bully dog would be good.
  • Negative!!!!!!!!!!! That chip is crap. Get hypertech. Hypertech is a programer and is a very safe and effective way to up your MPG and horses. You can go to www.hypertech.com and watch the videos comparing the different chips etc. Hypertech blows them out of the water. Just keep an eye on your turbo boost pressures. Also, remember that any change to the stock motor can void the warranty. You should look into that. Lastly, I have heard of blown head gaskets with your model truck, but nothing directly linked to the hypertech programmer. Good luck

T
  • Ford has had a lot of trouble with the 6-liter diesel, and the 2003 was the first. This engine is apparently running right at the top of its design specs. Any modification at all and you are asking for serious and expensive trouble. Problems include blowing turbo hoses off under load, turbo failure, injector failure, and blown head gaskets. To keep from blowing hoses, keep the boost under 25 lbs. To keep the turbo going, don't let it idle very long when engine is cold. This puts unburned fuel into the variable pitch of the turbo and eventually it won't work. Ford calls this "wet stacking". Any increase in compression and you are asking for blown head gaskets.
  • Keroburner,

Very good info. The only thing I would disagree with is the motor running at the top of it's specs. That simply isn't true. I have had Ford tell me that the 6L can be tweaked for way more horsepower, but isn't because of the reasons you indicated. I haven't had any issues with hypertech. I have it on stage 1 and I pull a 32ft trailer too. My boost pressures are the same with or without the hypertech product. Ford has tried to hang their issues with head gaskets etc on chips etc and hypertech has never been linked to these problems. Thanks for the info.
  • thanks guys for your posts. i need the chip for the gas mileage and im going to check out the hypertech chip. is this a lot more expensive though?
  • I get 14.2 mpg. Not bad. Towing, I drop to 12 mpg, which is good. My mileage improves as the engine breaks in. I tell people all of the time. We bought trucks not hybrids. We have to live with the mpg for another few years. The diesel truck which gets 40mpg is around the bend. Good luck
  • I just bought a 2008 F250 Lariat that did not have heated seats and the dealer was able to install them for $500.00
  • hi, i recently bought a 1998 ford f250 lariot and the four wheel drive isn't working. i turn the knob on the dash to 4hi and the 4x4 light comes on but still nothing. but when i shift into 4low in neutral i hear the hubs engage but still the whells don't turn yet the 4x4 low light comes on. any ideas what this is? pplease help me i live in northern canada and this truck is absolutley useless in the snow without the 4x4 working. thanks!

frustrated ford guy
  • I just recently bought a 03 ford f250 and im new to all of it also. i just took it mudding though and it's bad A. There are notches on the hubcaps of the two front wheels that you have to turn to lock. Then you switch it into 4 wheel drive. make sure if the wheels are locked you have it on 4 wheel drive, it can mess up ur trans if not. when u go back to 2 wheel drive switch the wheels back out of lock. good luck
  • thats exactly what someone else told me, but i don't see any notches or dials my hub cap is plastic. i take the hub cap off and still no notches or dials to turn!
  • I'm having the same problem with my truck please if you have fixed yours let me know what you did. thanks
  • Have a 1990 F250 7.3 Liter. Pushing 400K miles after an engine rebuild at 175K. Having some dashboard related electrical trouble. Does anyone have experience with removing the instrument cluster, replacing the headlight switch, and the wiper/washer switch? My Haynes manual in useless.
  • I am getting a bully dig chip for my truck, but i dont know if the triple bully dog and the triple bully dog power pup are different or the same. does anybody know?
  • the truck came factory lifted with the off road package . the rims are 16inch. how much bigger could i get the rims and would i have to do anything special to make room for a 18 inch or 20 inch rim. or can i get a bigger tire and use the same rim. what do you think is better..
  • if i just buy the chrome header and exhaust that a company says will fit my 03 ford f250, what else do i need to buy. is there a kit i need that has brackets of some sort. is this an expensive job to have a mechanic do>
  • i put bigger tires on the same rims! i got 3 inches of lift but you have to watch out for the wheel wells. also your tach and odometer wil be off a bit but its definatly a cheaper option happy muddin!
  • thanks for the advice. what tire brand did u go with there are so many?
  • I have a 2006 crew cab 6.0 litre 4x2 short box. when it was new I was useing 7.8 litres per 100 klms. I installed a complete K & N filter system ( installed by Ford dealership so warranty was covered ) I now average 5.1 litres to 100 klms ( 30.4 Mpg Canadian )