Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• fordtuf1fordtuf1 Posts: 5
    It has been some time since I've heard the real explanation of this. I had it on my 99, my Mom's 2000 had it, my 02 has it. I don't recall it having to do with a heater door/flap but it does have to do with the truck sitting for more than a day without being run.

Whatever it was they said that no harm would come of it. The checks in the mail too right? But really I had over 75K on the 99 and I have over 85K on my 02 right now.
  • fordtuf1fordtuf1 Posts: 5
    This may very well be your limited slip starting to not slip. Guys from another Ford Truck site talked about this a lot. I think Ford says don't service your rear, or front, diff unless leaking or problems arise. I tend to say that's BULL.

I put it off until mine started making the same noise when turning. I did a full service, which is nothing more than pulling the cover changing the gear fluid (synthetic) and adding the modifier fluid. The manual says add 4 oz, the wise man says put in 2oz and see if you get the noise, if you do then add 1oz and try again, but don't exceed 4oz.

The new syntehtics don't really need as much of the fluid modifier so I'm told. I have 2oz in mine right now and it's better than before I changed it but I'm gonna add 1oz more cause it shudders just a bit.

You could do the simple way and buy the modifier, any auto place has it, try 1oz at a time. :shades:
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I have a question on the 2008' Super Duty's. I was half interested in a Ford F-250 Super Duty King Ranch but wondered if the 6-speed manual was a option on the King Ranch as I think the 5-speed is a bit out dated ? If I were to buy a 08' Super Duty it would be a loaded out King Ranch as I think they are very nice trucks. :)

Rocky
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    expect to have to factory order to get it.

Mark
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Manual tranny is not available on the King Ranch. Only the 5-speed Torque-shift automatic.
  • paintmanpaintman Posts: 23
    It started yesterday while driving my f250 I began to hear a faint chime from the dash, it chimes 5 times then a 3 second delay and 5 times again , delay 5 again after about 5 series of this it stops for about 20 minutes then it does it again.
    Is this a trouble code? the guages read fine and the truck still runs smooth.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    If your seat belt is on, then the system is not reading this, get help from dealer.

Mark.
  • paintmanpaintman Posts: 23
    seatbelt was on I tried with it off also -same, the sound is different than the seatbelt tone(faint)???
  • newdernewder Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had their door handle rip off while getting in your truck?
    Don't you love those plastic door handles on a supposed Superduty truck. My wife did it to my F-350 last year when the doors were frozen shut after an ice storm. She was embarassed and didn't think she was so strong ..... :blush: :blush: (I on the other hand, never had any doubt - this was the women who nearly broke my fingers while squeezing my hand during natural child birth. :P )
  • Not yet, but anything is possible with plastic. The heat, cold, uv rays. Such a tough truck. The achilles heel of the truck is the handle. Plastic sucks. Let's make it steel and chrome plate it
  • jeff0325jeff0325 Posts: 3
    Loosing faith. 2006 f250 4x4 5.4 auto. 7500 miles the exhaust system started cracking and popping when it warmed up. Very embarrassing at the light or when you turn off the truck. Dealer replaced the exhaust system. Worked for two weeks and the same problem occurred. Notified the dealer and in the mean time the engine gave out. Drivers side overhead cam shaft brackets broke in the head. The dealer tried to get ford to replace the motor but to no avail. Ford decided to only pay to replace the head. The dealer had no explanation as to why the clips holding the cam shaft down failed. The exhaust system still is making the same noise. I am getting it back to the dealer for the third time for the exhaust problem this week. With spring time here I'm getting concerned with having to pull the toys around. This is my 2nd f250 the first was a 2004 w/ the v-10. Maybe I should have kept the 2004 but the 0% interest rate got me.
  • Jesus what a bunch of crap you have been going through. Such an odd problem. I would if it didn't screw the warranty, is switch to a dual exhaust system. I always ran with flow masters. Never had a problem. The cracking and popping and running after you shut the car off sounds more like a problem with the engines fuel to air mixture. Also the catalytic converters have been none to cause problems as well. Good luck.

Troy
    I'm not going to spend any $ until this problem is fixed. Question. Could excessive heat be causing the exhaust to make the cracking sound? Could a lean burning cylinder put out more heat than normal? Are these two problems tied together {failed head, exhaust noise} I'm sure this would have turned up on a computer code but not sure. Maybe someone other than the dealer mechanics have an answer.
  • Yes, heat can cause the sound. Yes, a leaner burning cylinder can cause heat. A failed head can cause problems for the exhaust system. I have heard of catalytic convertors cracking due to the porcelin inside them, but I am not sure if this is the case now a days. Good luck. Nonetheless, your truck is too new to have all of these problems. Take care Jeff.
    update. The service manager at the dealer has been notified by ford engineering that no more work is authorized to try and fix my exhaust noise. I called ford customer service and got nowhere. They have made this determination with no one from ford {except the dealer} hearing what the problem is.
    This is more than just a little bit of pinging and cracking. If the vehicle was making this sound when I test drove it I would never have purchased it. If I was going to try and sell it, no one would buy it.
    I have purchased over ten new vehicles from ford since I've been able to drive. I am very frustrated. A local attorney has agreed to here what the problem is later this week.
    More updates to follow.
  • I am considering purchasing a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 diesel engine. The price is right however it has 232,000 miles on it. It appears to run strong, doesn't smoke and the dealer claims it was used for business to run back and forth from Utah to Washington. How many miles can you expect to get out of this engine. Even though the price is below book value I don't want to replace an engine any time soon.
    7.3 is a robust engine. Would probably need an overhaul (not a replacement) somewhere in the mid 300K range. How's the tranny - betcha it's not the original?
  • The dealer doesn't know if it's been replaced or not. How would I be able to tell.
    Don't know.
    :confuse:
    Was hoping some records came with the truck.
    :confuse:
    The dealer could run the VIN through the system, might be able to come up with repair records from Ford Service Departments.