Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara Convertible - 2004 and Newer

Comments

• mfullmermfullmer Posts: 819
    No, I'm sure that won't be there. The Camry doesn't offer it.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Posts: 266
    If there is one thing the car should have is the memory seat....i think the power seat motor is especially slow!
    Agreed. I noticed that on our RX330. The GM power seats I'm used to are very fast. In fact, the memory seat on my Tahoe goes from full back/down to my preset (mid way and all the way up) in about 3 seconds when I turn on the car.

In fact, I don't find Toyota's version of Memory Seats all that useful (and I haven't had a car without them in about 10 years). The main thing I use on my GM cars in the easy exit/entry since I'm usually the only one who drives the vehicles. Since the Toyota/Lexus doesn't have that, it's not nearly as usable.
    The Solara is my wifes car...so when i get in the seat goes from pretty much all the way forward to all the way aft...seems like it take forver standing ther over the car waiting for the seat to move.

My Expedtion has the memory that moves the mirrors, seat and pedals making it much easier (and quicker!)
    Regardless, the missing feature is pretty minor when you consider what you do get with the car for the $$.
    Agreed again. To think that I was looking at both the Prius and the MINI Cooper, both at right around $27k. For $5k more it seems like a steal!

I just can't wait until 8/20!!! I did go onto the Toyota/Lexus tech site and looked at all of the changes for the 2005 Camry. It looks like they've changed the Nav a bit, but I can't find anything else. Hopefully this will run through to the Solara since the '04 units were pretty much the same in my RX330 as the Camry & Solara.

The power seat on the passenger side is what I'm hoping for most. My partner is tall and hates it when the seat can't go all the way down.

We'll see. I've emailed my salesman but no response yet.
  • napickardnapickard Posts: 4
    You are right Toyota is blind on XM.

I have a new SLE convertible and though the sticker say XM capable (just add antenna and subscription), the truth is you need a $600+
    package that includes a tuner and antenna. With those then you can receive through the factory installed JBL radio that has a satellite button.

Instead of the 600 rip off, I bought a Roady2 which I can move from vehicle to vehicle.
    yeah, I thought the same thing, while I have no interest in satellite radio at the moment, I thought it was pretty cool that the radio was what I thought "XM ready" meaning pay the ten bucks and you get the service.....
  • norainnorain Posts: 8
    How exactly did you do that search? I can't find any mention of 2005s. The dealer I talked to (in the Northeast) said he wasn't aware of ANY changes for the 2005, except for the standard Camry, which gets new wheel covers and taillights.
    In the Southeast you can do a search by vehicle and then it will list all of them that are coming in (in the region) for the next 30 days. Detail of them shows "Standard Features List".
  • sazaman1sazaman1 Posts: 22
    I bought a Solara SE with the SZ package (8/26). To me, the upgraded sound system is quite below par. I would have prefered the standard sound system and upgraded with an aftermarket product at my leisure. I could not get the color combinations I wanted without the SZ package (Arctic frost Pearl/Ivory/tan and SE) and was forced to take the SZ package. If you are concerned about the system, try the sound system in a coupe and decide yourself.
  • rgihlergihle Posts: 7
    I went to the dealership the other day and this is what I found out:
    The part to fix the rattle is not for the convertible, but rather for the sun/moon roof rattle problem. Toyota has merely 'recommended' that service departments try the cable replacement to see if it works. Toyota has not yet put out a TSB regarding the convertible top problem.
    I am choosing to wait until Toyota figures it out or windstorm season starts, before I have anything done. For now, I will be able to better tolerate wind noise than I would a rattle. I would appreciate it if those of you who have already received the cable replacement would let me know how the fix on the rattle problem is progressing.
    On this end, my dealership will continue to contact Toyota to keep appraised of the progress on the fix. I have not yet requested a new top because there is no guarantee that a new top would be any different from the one I have now (they are all made the same way and in the same place, so I suspect it will eventually be labled a design defect, not a part defect. Toyota will probably need to develop a new design fix-even using old parts- before it is truly fixed)
    Well, despite the things I heard about "a few minor changes on the 2005" and the fact that the online "stickers" of the 2005 SLE Convertible has changed from "Power Drivers Seat" to "Power/Heated Driver & Passenger Seats", now it looks like there are no changes at all.

Today Toyota changed their Tech site and now has 2005 info for the Solara. Under "New Features" it just has a page that says "The 2005 model is essentially a carryover of the 2004 model".

Oh well, I guess no power passenger seat.
    Then again, the new description for the Nav system (from the window sticker) is:

Includes:Auto-dimming mirror w/electrochomic compass inset & Electro-multi visionnavigation system w/6 disc console changer

So obviously that has changed. Wonder what other changes there will be.

This wait is killing me!
    Could you post the link for the (sticker price)site?
    My guess would be that the sticker price is probably more accurate than the tech site.
    Six disc in the console is a decent compromise. I wonder what the price increase will be??
    That is kind of difficult but I'll tell you how to get there.

www.buyatoyota.com. Put in 30345 as the zip and then choose any dealer. On the next screen choose the Solara. Click the link with the large number on the upper right (Under "Find your Camry Solara" to see them all. You can sort by MY or Price to find them.

The SLE Convertible went up by $200.00 but I don't think any of the option prices changed.
  • toppertopper Posts: 13
    We just got our Solara back from the dealer. We had them look into the rattle and they said it was from struts that ran through the trunk. They padded them and now the rattle seems to be gone. So the rattle was not from the top fix, but I guess we hadn't noticed the rattle before due to the wind noise the top was making. So now everything seems good with the top fix, except I'm not sure if the interior lining being pulled away from the sides is different than it was before.
  • solara4solara4 Posts: 12
    Are many people using the clutchless manual shift option? I'm just starting. It seems pretty cool once you get used to it. It avoids the hesitation in the low gears and I think it has improved the car's gas mileage, too.
  • rudy331rudy331 Posts: 27
    Glad to hear everything seems fine now. The rattle is driving me crazy and I've noticed since they fixed the cables that the passenger side is very tight fitting now, but the driver side has more slack and the persistent rattle like something is loose and "flopping around". They also left black grease marks on the top from the repair. Not too noticeable when dry, but they stick out like a sore thumb when wet. The liner definitely is definitely pulled away more than it was originally. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait a bit before taking it back in. Hubby backed into it when backing into driveway at night and now in bodyshop for new front facia. Trailer hitch acted like a cookie cutter and went right through. Ugghhh!! I don't understand why a TSB hasn't been posted for the convertible problems and curious to see if the '05 is improved.
    Bummer. I hate it when that happens, but what can you do.

I sure hope the '05's are better too.
    Has anyone inquired into changing the whip antenna on the Convertible to a power one. Say like the one in the SC430?
  • rgihlergihle Posts: 7
    Thank you! I told my dealer what you said. They seemed to understand how the placement of everything could do that. They asked if I could still stand to wait (I said yes) because they are still trying to pin Toyota down to what the real fix is (whether it is the cables or something else in addition). They are also checking into the TSB that says there is a tonneau cover improvement (I don't know what the improvement is, do you?)
    The TSB for the tonneau cover is just some instructions to move the hooks on front ends so that it attaches tighter.
  • anniezmaanniezma Posts: 20
    I'm about to purchase a Solara Convertible...I have a 4 year old grandchild..and would like to buy a car seat!...any suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,974
    I'm going to move the posts about the Toyota Highlander to the Highlander: problems and solutions forum, since this forum is for the Solara only.

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• vargvarg Posts: 12
    Why? If you read my post it applies to the Solara as well.
  • bailey1bailey1 Posts: 6
    Hey - I am considering buying an '04 SLE and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge regarding the "Passenger Air Bag On" light on the dash. Is there a way to manually disable it? Also, is there an interior light adjustment? I cannot seem to read the LED on the dash during the daytime when I am wearing my polarized sun glasses. And lastly, is it a major pain to pull little kids out of the back seat when the top is up?

Thanks for any input/advice.
    There is no way to disable the airbag on the passenger side. About 60 lbs. is the threshold that will activate the airbag.
    The back seat is not a problem as long as you remember it is not a minivan. Putting the seats in with the top up is a bit of a hassle but you can fix that in about 10 seconds. Using the valet feature on the passenger seat makes it pretty easy for the kids to get in and out of the car.
    Not sure what you mean about disabling the "Passenger Air Bag" light. If there is no one in the passenger seat, the message will state "Passenger Air Bag Off". If there is someone in the Passenger seat, the message will state "Passenger Air Bag On".
  • bailey1bailey1 Posts: 6
    Having only been on one test-ride with the salesman, I didn't notice that the light turned off when no one was sitting there. It is interesting that the airbag is weight-sensitive. I wonder if it would be safe to let a kid ride up front if she were under 60 (?) lbs. (on a special occasion, of course).

What of the interior light adjustment? Is there one?

Thanks for taking the time.
    From the owners manual: If the front passenger does not activate the "Passenger Airbag On" notification, they should ride in the back seat.