Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1989 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat 8 Cyl 5.8L. Dies in flight condition on Ford F-250, seems fuel related

smitcody1smitcody1 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2015 in Ford
I have a 1989 Ford F-250 (mileage about 190k) with the 351W engine in it that has recently developed a condition where after a certain amount of driving the engine starves for fuel suddenly and stalls out.

From a cold start it takes 30 minutes to an hour for the condition to develop. It feels similar to running out of gas, not like an electrical problem where it "silently" dies. I can't restart immediately, but after sitting for a few minutes I can start the truck again and go down the road. If I go above about 30 miles per hour it will choke out and die almost immediately. If I keep it slow (~15-20 mph) I can drive for a longer amount of time - still dies eventually though. Engine sounds normal... until it chokes out and dies.

I ran some Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner through my last tank of gas, and replaced the fuel filter immediately upon the condition beginning. No change though. Mechanic down the road suggested it may be the ignition module getting hot, and said I *may* be right on it being the fuel pump... but why would it take so long for that to happen?

Thanks for the help in advance.