Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instrument Panel Problems

Comments

• jkirkjkirk Posts: 4
    Just got a 1994 Grand Marquis. Speedometer works fine. Odometer and tripodometer do NOT work. Is this cable fed, or electronic (sensor)? Any ideas on what to check for? :confuse:
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    you're gonna like this. unlike the old days, it is considered the height of design to force you to remove the dashboard or the instrument cluster to replace the bulbs.

had a 90 ranger, cousin to your mazda, and on that series of truck, I had to pull the shifter to low, remove three or four cowling screws, and the center and left air outlets, as well as two screws under the dash. now the dash forward molding on the drivers side would sorta lift out, then up, and then up-and-out to be put in the passenger seat. take the speedometer cable off the back of the dash and pull the two wiring harness connectors, take five bolts out of the front of the speedometer area, and lift the speedo/gauge section out. put it face down on a towel, and replace something like 19 wedge bulbs with new ones, so I wouldn't have to do it again. rinse and repeat to put it back together.

you also have a different design, so these rules don't apply.

that's how it's done, and so now you'll understand why it's closer to $500 than to $300 to replace dash bulbs at the dealers. for somebody who does it several times a week or month, this is probably a couple hours work.

considering the airbag is like two sticks of dynamite right in front of your nose, do you want to do this yourself?
  • queenstarqueenstar Posts: 1
    HELP!!! Last week the "Low Fuel" lite on my 1990 Chyrsler New Yorker came on, I had a FULL tank of gas too! It will not go off. Also I should mention that my Speedometer works fine but the Odometer and tripodometer do NOT work either. What should I do replace the whole thing with a new one or is it a simple problem of a fuse or something?
  • My '99 Accord with 132,000 miles is great. Suddenly today the red dashboard lights for battery, brake light, and open doors all went on at once while driving down the highway. They are now on every time I start the car, which runs fine. Anybody have an idea what is wrong? All lights and electronics work fine, and the battery is brand new. Thanks.
    one, the battery has a dead cell, and you're barely running. that is easily checked with a battery load test... get the charging system tested too, these are twin issues in that one acting up can mess up the other. second, there is a body module that does all sorts of collected tasks in the car, and it either has a bad signal coming to it, has a bad ground leading from it, or is failing. that could be quite a diagnostics list to check the module out.
  • the dash lights on my 1997 Rodeo are completely dead. headlights work fine, everything else seems fine, but instrument panel lights went out about 3 weeks ago. my best guess from reading these posts is to check the fuse box. only fuse I found for that panel was in engine bay, and is a solid black square fuse - I can't tell if it's blown or not. any other suggestions to check before I buy a new one?
    or two words: test lamp. if you can pass electricity through the fuse or circuit breaker, it isn't broken.
  • My instrument panel lights and parking (running) lights went out as well as the shift indicator light on the floor shifter. All fuses appear to be good. No other problems that I have identified so far. Can't imagine that the lamp bulbs all blew at the same time, so must be something else. A short somewhere or What? Anyone having any ideas as to the problem or how to trouble-shoot, please contact.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Any hints as to MAKE, MODEL, AND YEAR?
  • dbetzdbetz Posts: 1
    My 98 Accord just had the same problem occur today. What was your problem?
  • OH YEA, THAT WOULD PROBABLY HELP: 1999 CHRYSLER SEBRING CONVERTIBLE. AND WHILE ALL THE FUSES WERE INTACT UNDER THE HOOD; AFTER I FOUND YET ANOTHER FUSE BOX LOCATED ON THE DRIVERS SIDE AT THE END OF THE DASH (THE DRIVER'S DOOR MUST BE OPEN TO EVEN ACCESS THIS SPOT TO GET THE PLASTIC COVER OFF) I FOUND THE BLOWN FUSE, REPLACED IT AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS FOR A WEEK NOW. I RECOMMED GETTING THE MANUFACTURER'S BOOK IN ORDER TO LOCATE WIRING PROBLEMS BECAUSE I SEE THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER FUSE BLOCK ASSEMBLIES IN AND AROUND THIS CAR, AND WITHOUT THAT BOOK I WOULD NEVER EVER NEVER HAVE FOUND THIS ONE.
  • My dash clock light appears to have burned out on my 2002 Ody Van. I've searched the past postings & am unable to locate instructions on replacing it. Any experts out there? Phil Griffin...
  • Jerry,

I have exactly the same problem ! FYI there is a fuse block on the driver's side end of the dash. You need the drivers door open to find it, however there was no indication of dash or instrument fuses. In the under the hood fuse box I took the known to work black square labeled horn fuse out and placed it in the labeled lighting fuse socket. Still nothing. The with the lighting fuse out I had no headlights ! Try turning the dash/interior dimmer switch which is to the left of the steering column on the lower dash panel. Does your dome lights go out ? Mine don't. Also my truck is an automatic and the floor gear selector indicator light is also out. Any information you could give me would be helpful. I have an appointment with my mechanic, in the mean time I'll be looking for a repair manual !
  • I have a problem with my 1999 gmc pickups instrument panel. abs, brake light stay on. Battery & security light blink on and then gauges jump
  • The speedometer on my truck makes a really lout whirring noise when it is very cold outside and I get up over about 40 mph. I figure I either need to replace or lub it. The problem is I can't seem to get to it. I have been able to remove the outside bezel and the plastic cover (by accidentally breaking a couple of the plastic clips), but I can not get the actual instrument panel out. I removed the two screws that are holding it in, but something else has a grip of it and I can't figure it out. Does anybody know what else I need to do to get it out? I don't think the cable is the issue here because it has no give yet. It feels like maybe something below it is holding on. Thanks.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    What you're describing is usually caused by a dry speedo cable. Disconnect the outer cable from the back of the speedo head, pull the inner cable out,and lube it.
  • 2001 dodge instrument cluster panel - all lights on panel and all speedometer gauges quit with no warning. headlights radio power locks, windows etc. are fine. whatever this is only affected the instrument panel.
  • rc5501rc5501 Posts: 1
    For those of you who are familiar with Chevy, the odometer and Gear displays are a digital screen at the bottom of the instrument cluster. I am encoutering a short in the wiring that plugs into the insturment cluster. Does anyone know of or can tell me what specific wire controls that digial readout. Thanks.
  • I have no manual for my sisters car, so please bear with me. The problem is of 2 majors, 1. There is a light on the ins. panel it looks like a box with an arrow pointing down towards water what the heck is this suppose to mean? 2. She was told to get a synthetic oil change done to her car and she did. In doing so they told her she would be good for 10,000km's. The problem is after 4200 km she was down 2 quarts . Now I found no trace of oil on the ground, it was not burning oil, there was none in the antifreeze or under the hood . Where the heck is it going?
    please help
  • I have a 97 Chevy Tahoe 350 4WD. Today the speedometer quit tracking properly. It will follow the speed during acceleration but lags during decceleration the tachometer also is sluggish ticking sometimes.