Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Dodge 5.7 Hemi

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
edited March 22 in Dodge
Had to create a new version of this to workaround some server issues...

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• dave40dave40 Posts: 582
    Never thought I would buy a Dodge But this 345 HP Hemi Hooked me Bye Bye GM LOL
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    NO DAVE!!! Come back from the darkside. There is still time. 345HP SS is coming out soon :)
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    Is this the same Dave40 that participated in all those littletruck discussions? Perhaps I'm having a Senior Moment... ;-)

So, hope Dodge gets the rest of the truck to be as good as the new engine sounds to be!
  • jaijayjaijay Posts: 162
    Is this the same Dave40 that was the captain of the GM truck crusade?
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    Was this an emotional decision?
    Enamored with the Mayor or "ticked" at GM non-support?
    Did you do a logical analysis approach?
    What were the analysis points/results that prompted the conversion to the "other side"?

Hey, my '98 K1500 wont last forever and I want to know what my next truck will be... Maybe, um, ah, a Dodge.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Saw a new Ram truck with those 20" rims filling across from me at the gas station. Truck sat tall for a 2wd. Truck looked brand new except it didnt have paper tags, but the under carriage was spotless. At least the rims and tire combo looks better than the older rams with the factory lift and mini tires leaving a gaping wheelwell.

How timeless is that Ram look?
    did you get a look at the tailpipe?

I bet it was rusted out :)
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Didn't notice the tailpipe. What I did notice was that the truck was idling while the guy was filling up....sorta like a diesel.....which made me a little nervous...

Interesting article....

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1460/

I'm wondering what this statement means...

A systematic approach to sealing, using premium elastomeric materials and state-of-the-art practices, helps ensure a leak-free, weep-free engine.

I'll be looking for a replacement for the Denali in a couple of months....man that was a fast three years. Thought of the Escalade EXT, Ave, even the crewcab Ram....though this one has caught my attention...a hog ...lol.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2002/ford/harley/roadtest/page1.html

Labor day weekend there was a reg cab long bed 2500 ram hemi in a parade pulling a trailer. It also sounded like a diesel even though it wasnt. I couldnt believe it. If you think you have cold start knock you should have heard this thing.
  • jaijayjaijay Posts: 162
    I have read somewhere that the new 5.7 isn't a true hemi as defined in the 1960's class hemi engines. The heads and pistons are not a "true" hemispherical design. Is the talk of the hemi all "marketing"?

Two plugs per cylinder, is this a "coil on plug" design?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    If you believe that the "hemi" of the 1960s were a "true hemi," then you are mistaken. There never was a true hemispherical designed cylinder head shape used by American automotive engine designers. The term "hemi" was never intended to be specific nomenclature, but a more generalized way of describing a combustion chamber shape that departed from other types.

The early Chrysler hemis ('51-'59) had a cylinder head configuration more elliptical in shape than the more famous 426 hemi ('64-'71). The 426 head was more trapezoidal and incorporated a flat roof section nearly identical to the new 5.7 engine that Dodge is now introducing.

Some confusion may exist because it is often repeated that the recent 4.7 Dodge engine is also a hemi. This is incorrect. That engine is a true polyspherical combustion chamber, it too being a throw-back to earlier Chrysler designs (277, 301, 318A engines: '56-'67).

Someone commented about a "5.7 hemi" pulling a trailer in a parade. It is extremely unlikely that this was a 5.7 hemi, but much more likely the new Cummins quiet diesel. I have been informed that RAMs with the 5.7 engine were not on the assembly line until 27 August at Santillo, Mexico. I asked someone to check for me and there are still no 5.7 equipped Dodge RAMs in this sales region.

Dusty
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Well, yes & no. It has eight spark plug wires. Chrysler mounts a coil on one plug and runs a spark plug wire from that same coil to one other plug.

Dusty
    It had a hemi badge on the drivers and pass side by the front wheel on the fender. It also had dealer plates
    also i seen a pic somewhere online of a dealers lot full of them
  • dave40dave40 Posts: 582
    I test drove the 5.7 hemi a few days ago here in PA. It blew my 6.0 away....
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    I live in a small city and our local Dodge dealer has had a 5.7 hemi on his lot 2 weeks ago. I was over there and checked it out, but did not test drive at this time. I can't afford so why allow myself to be tempted. I believe that he was not selling this unit, just using it for yest drives and taking orders.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    I was at my dealer today. They have 2 Bright Silver 2500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4s, both Hemi/automatics. Not giving up on my Cummins, but they looked sharp.

kcram

Host

Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.