Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

More Worthless Alerts - 2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Nissan

imageMore Worthless Alerts - 2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test

This update to Edmunds' long-term 2015 Nissan Murano reveals the SUV's penchant for issuing worthless warnings through its infotainment system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edmundsdumbedmundsdumb Member Posts: 1
    How about you take 2 minutes to read the manual and disable it through your settings instead of writing up useless articles like this?
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Worthless. Why do they bother implementing this?
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    Agreed it's not that helpful in LA but in the Northeast I wouldn't mind being forewarned. I'd like to add not many people watch the news and they get caught in some pretty bad weather.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    My mom's Jetta will flash a quick warning sign in the gauge cluster screen warning you to watch for black ice when the thermometer observes freezing temps outside - I think those types of warnings are a good idea. They can be helpful especially if you're leaving a warm parking spot like a garage and it's not intrusive - it goes away after a moment.
  • tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    My 2010 Jetta has a little snowflake that appears next to the outside temp when it is 39°F or below. I don't mind that warning at all. What I do mind is the ding that accompanies it. It only dings if reads 40° or above when you start the car and the temperature drops below the threshold while driving. If that occurs, the snowflake appears, the car dings, and the temp display flashes for about 10 seconds. It's annoying to me because when I hear a ding my first thought is always, "oh &*%$, what just broke on the car?" as I look at the gauges for information. Admittedly, it does cause me to look at the cluster which was their intention. But, that doesn't mean I have to like it.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited November 2015
    GM's "Ice possible drive with care" message is simple, to the point and goes away automatically after a few seconds. But at the same time it's kind of silly since I'm reading this message in a ice cold car.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    "In SoCal the normal days dip into the low 70s and nights might drop to 45. Brrr.

Try spending a winter in the Northeast, where during the winter the temperatures at night drop into the single digits and the days are in the teens.

My 2015 Chevy Equinox has these warnings as well on the MyLink, They are driven by the data feed from the satellite radio. They are really beneficial in the winter when a winter storm warning is issued while driving. Lets you know which areas are affected and what kind of imminent, treacherous weather is coming in. Also great for severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado warnings
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    We're in the 70 - 45°F swing range this time of year in Las Cruces. When the sun goes down I reach for my down jacket.

Like the ones I used in Anchorage and in the UP for 25 years. :D

Something about that radiant heat going away and the relatively large drop in temp just chills me through to the bones. The heck with the temp warnings, I want heated seats and a heated steering wheel.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

My 2010 Jetta has a little snowflake that appears next to the outside temp when it is 39°F or below. I don't mind that warning at all. What I do mind is the ding that accompanies it. It only dings if reads 40° or above when you start the car and the temperature drops below the threshold while driving. If that occurs, the snowflake appears, the car dings, and the temp display flashes for about 10 seconds. It's annoying to me because when I hear a ding my first thought is always, "oh &*%$, what just broke on the car?" as I look at the gauges for information. Admittedly, it does cause me to look at the cluster which was their intention. But, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

After owning a VW Beetle for a brief period (dumped that POS before more things could break) I know all too well panicking whenever I'd hear a ding in that car.