Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Sedan Concept Features New Design Language, Chassis: 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Subaru
Subaru Impreza Sedan Concept Features New Design Language, Chassis: 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show | Edmunds.com

The Subaru Impreza Sedan Concept reveals the design direction of future Subaru products. Production versions of the next-generation Impreza sedan will debut in the fall of 2016.

Read the full story here

Comments

• qristoferqristofer Member Posts: 22
    Subaru always finds a way of messing up when it comes to executing the production model
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    In this case I would like to see this car "dulled" down a little. One of the things that I really like about my WRX is the greenhouse and how great the field of vision is. So it would be nice to see the roof raised a little over the back seat, the beltline flattened out/lowered, and the trunk lowered. This concept is pretty, but not pretty enough to justify the lack of practicality. The WRX concept Subaru teased last time, now that was a different story...
  • b_thunderb_thunder Member Posts: 2
    " it's also narrower than the current Civic, Corolla and Mazda 3"
    I'm not an automotive or race car engineer, but narrow chassis will be a better baseline for WRX and STi. Unless, of course, they're going to build WRX and STi on a completely different platform from the Impreza.
    Oh well, following Subaru cars since they entered WRC in 1990s, I think chances are Subaru will yet again reuse the same old 2.5L (already technologically dated compared with JDM parts when introduced in 04 model, it will be 15-years old in 2018!), I'm not even going to be considering that car.
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    b_thunder said:

" it's also narrower than the current Civic, Corolla and Mazda 3"
    I'm not an automotive or race car engineer, but narrow chassis will be a better baseline for WRX and STi. Unless, of course, they're going to build WRX and STi on a completely different platform from the Impreza.
    Oh well, following Subaru cars since they entered WRC in 1990s, I think chances are Subaru will yet again reuse the same old 2.5L (already technologically dated compared with JDM parts when introduced in 04 model, it will be 15-years old in 2018!), I'm not even going to be considering that car.

Um... please read an article or two about the current Impreza before typing nonsense. The current Impreza uses a new 2.0L H4, not the 2.5L. For being such "dated" engines, they're still great at what they do, and they do it very efficiently. The current Impreza WITH ALL WHEEL DRIVE gets 37 miles per gallon on the highway, something FWD cars can barely do... and the others DO have direct injection. Since I currently own 2 Subarus with the 2.5L, and I've owned 2 others over the years (one was a 3.0L H6), they ALL have exceeded EPA highway ratings. My Legacy was rated at 29 highway (4EAT), and it's quite common to get 33-34. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see a current Impreza hit that magical 40 number.

The current 2.5L is NOT the same engine that's been around since '04. That engine was the EJ253. Starting with the 2011 Forester (2012 Legacy/Outback), the 2.5L is the FB with a timing chain instead of a belt. It's an entirely new engine.

Now, on to the new Subarus coming out in the not-too-distant-future: Subaru already confirmed new engines are on the way with direct injection and other improvements. This isn't a secret, and it's been published several places over the past month or more.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

The current 2.5L is NOT the same engine that's been around since '04. That engine was the EJ253. Starting with the 2011 Forester (2012 Legacy/Outback), the 2.5L is the FB with a timing chain instead of a belt. It's an entirely new engine.

FB25 was not used in Legacy/Outback until MY2013.