Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Purchasing Used Vehicles

1495051525355»

Comments

• So, I picked up the car on Saturday and I did not have any problems (just as I was pleasantly surprised to find the car available when I got there to see it originally, I was happy to see it sitting in the lot with my plates on it when I went to pick it up).

plekto- I agree that the $595 charge is wrong and under other circumstances I would have walked. But I needed a car for my son (who was leaving for school in 3 weeks and was taking it with him), and I was having a lot of trouble finding a reasonably priced low mileage Elantra (for those who say there are plenty of them out there, I wish you'd been there to help me find one). Even with the $595 charge, the price on this car was less than I would have paid elsewhere (and that assumes no bogus fees at the other places), and $1200 less than the retail TMV ($100 more than the private sale TMV).

im_brentwood -- I'm curious to know when you tried to buy the car and what they told you. They still have it listed for sale on Autotrader (and their own site), I'm going to be curious to see if/when they take it down. I wonder what would happen if someone contacted them online and asked if it was still available (the salesman told me that they used to have problems with their online inventory and telling people that cars were still in stock when they were not but claims that was fixed a few months ago). I know that my local Hyundai dealer, (who had one with 10k more miles for $1500 more) took their listing down, so I guess they sold it.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Called em last week IIRC.

$12,100 for that car is still cheap... they do that at auction. $1000 more for a CPO one with more miles is still cheap.

Im selling 2010s CPO'd in the 16s-17s and they sell quickly.
  • So much to my surprise, the dealer did take the car off their website. Brought the car to my local mechanic and he said it's in generally good condition, so all is well.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Have you ever bought a used car, only to find out later that the vehicle had suffered flood damage? A TV news show is working on a story about the resale flood-damaged vehicles, and would like to help tell your story. If you’ve ever been a victim of this practice, please send your contact information and a brief description of your experience to pr@edmunds.com by no later than January 16th, 2012.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mrswittersmrswitters Posts: 4
    I'm looking at a used 2006 Hyundai Sonata with about 77k miles. I checked the CarFax and it was in what looks like a minor accident involving the right front. The air bags were not deployed. The dealer selling it insists (of course) that they've checked the chassis and there's no structural damage. The car appears to be in excellent condition, and I wouldn't have known it was in an accident if I didn't look at the CarFax.

Is this a dealbreaker? Or is a minor accident like this nothing to worry about?
  • misterbillmisterbill Posts: 60
    I think it should be OK but if you have a local mechanic who is willing to look at it, that is your best bet.

If it was crazy to buy a used car that was in an accident, there would be very few used cars to buy, especially at 77k miles and 6 years.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,328
    If the inspection turns out OK, its OK to buy... as long as you don't pay the same for it as you would for one that wasn't in an accident.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• hp414hp414 Posts: 3
    Thank you for calling out dealerrater! That site is a joke. I have left negative feedback for Chicago Motor Cars due to a terrible experience. I don't know if Chicago Motor Cars paid them or what happened, but my review got deleted. Even funnier, they clearly had friends post positive reviews to jack up their rating. How are we supposed to know what reviews to trust?

We all expect a car dealership to try to get away with some things, but Chicago Motor Cars in West Chicago goes above and beyond taking advantage of people. Definitely stay away from them. All I can say is do your homework; Read multiple reviews and forums. At least I got everything in writing.
    This is in regards to my recent encounter with Chicago Motor Cars and Parin Shah, but it is still good advice. Never trust what your sales person is saying, even if he/she is the owner/President. They are still after the almighty dollar. Do your research! Do not just go to one site for reviews, check multiple sites and forums. Trust your gut; if something doesn't feel right, walk away. You will find another car. Get everything in writing. I can not express this enough, it may come in handy later.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    I hope you got a chance to put up your review elsewhere.
    I see that they aren't listed in our dealership database (we're in the process of adding used car-only dealerships), but we don't engage in the practice that you complain about on our competitor's site.

It's possible that our group could add them - if you want to submit a request, just start by clicking the "help" link at the top of any Edmunds.com page and ask that this dealership be added so you can review them here. If not, I do encourage you to get the word out about your experience by posting on other review sites. It is, indeed, a shame that some sites are more interested in protecting the dealership's business than they are in making sure the consumer has access to objective content!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I really appreciate the support. I will definitely go to the "help" link. Thank you.