Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• 238000238000 Posts: 48
    I've had my Tucson for 700 pleasurable, trouble-free miles, so far, but this is regarding tire pressure. When I first got the car, I thought that it rode a little hard, but cornered like a sports car (well, almost). I checked the tire pressure, and it was 35 psi all around. The placard on the car said that the mileage should be 30 all around. The manual also stressed the importance of usig the correct mileage. So, i reduced the pressure to 30 psi, and found that the vehicle has a much softer ride, and floats over bumps and road imperfections. Comments?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    gas AND tire mileage. I always try to keep 35-36 psi. The Tucson may have a different suspension or Hyundai may be repeating the old Ford/Firestone mistake of soft ride over safety.

Mark Salem used to have a radio show in St. Louis, he now is on TV in the Phoenix area (home of his shop). Here's his take on tires:

"The inflation information on the tire will describe the maximum inflation of that tire cold. This is the most that tire should ever be aired to. The owners manual may describe a slightly lower inflation number. Anywhere in between will be fine for any car or SUV or light truck. But remember this:

Using the higher inflation numbers (35-44 psi) will keep the tire cooler, give you better fuel economy but you will sacrifice ride quality. The ride of the car will be harsher than with softer tire pressures.

Using the lower inflation numbers (28-35 psi) will give you a soft, smooth ride but your tires will run hotter and your fuel economy will be between 1-5% less than with fully inflated tires.

I always inflate my customers tires to the maximum inflation figure written on the side of their tire. The only exception is a "Z" rated high performance tire, like ones on a Corvette, Camaro, 300ZX. I do not inflate them to their maximum of 44 psi, but use 35 psi as our upper limit on these tires. Otherwise the ride is way too harsh."

http://www.marksalem.com/salem-faqs/default.asp?Action=Q&ID=55
  • shane1vshane1v Posts: 11
    Hi!
    I hope to buy a used Tucson as soon as some good ones show up for a good price.
    Any ideas what a left over new Tucson would cost in say, December/Jan?(dealer)
    A used one in Dec/Jan with maybe 10k miles?
    Soes Hyundai have "certified" used cars?

ALSO- I hear the original warranty is not passed to the new owner, that the new owner gets a shorter Warrnty... Any insight people?
    thank you!
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    Second owners of any Hyundai receive the balance of the original 5yr 60,000 mile warranty. The 10yr powertrain does not transfer.

I would not expect to see too many used Tucsons in the near future. To the best of my knowledge they are not in rental fleets which is where you typically find current model year used cars coming from.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Maybe one that's not so good for your pocketbook:

"Of the new introductions, Land Rover LR3, Chrysler 300 and Hyundai Tucson sold at the smallest discounts -- 0.1%, 2.8% and 3.6% below sticker price, respectively."

New Models Currently Selling at Widely Divergent Discounts (PR Newswire)

Steve, Host
    a used Tucson in December of 05? Maybe $15,000-$18,000, depending upon mileage and condition. And, yes, the new owner doesn't get all of the warranties -this should be clarified with the Hyundai dealer. Comments?
  • delta4delta4 Posts: 138
    That's an excellent find. Read that article and it really shows how much Hyundai has moved up in degree and demand.
  • unhappy2unhappy2 Posts: 1
    To make a long story short... I quite smoking 5 yrs ago and I wanted to reward myself with a new car that had never been smoked in. I chose a Hyundai Elantra (I was told that it was new ) Come to find out after we got the car home - after we signed on the dotted line of corse, we found cigarett butts in the ashtray and also on the way home we noticed the windshield was pitted real bad. I called the dealership up and complained and we were treated like - oh well it's yours now! After arguing with the sales mg.. they agreed to DE-Smoke the car. I can still smell it and after complaining about the windshield several times they finally agreed to change it out - after a written complaint. Also found out that the car was a DEMO.... Not a brand new car. I like the car but I feel I was done wrong by the sales and I would think twice before purchasing another from the dealership. It was hard not to cry over the whole deal. I feel that I was taken advantage of for the sales man knew the reason I was getting a new car. I didn't want one that had the cigarett smell in it and I felt that I diserved it for quitting smoking.
  • alpine1alpine1 Posts: 51
    Obviously, you didn't read Edmunds excellent book on how to buy a car.
  • key1cckey1cc Posts: 7
    I have a subscription to ConsumerReports.Org.....

Every SUV that has been tested get's less than 16 miles per gallon for city driving, regardless what the manufacturer states it should be. The mid size SUV's got as low as 10mpg city driving according to Consumer Reports testing. The tested highway mileage was more in-line with what the manufacturer states it should be.....but the city mpg was much lower.

The Tucson has yet to be tested.
    SUV's like the CRV, and Forester, & Rav4 got the highest city mileage of ~ 15-16mpg.

On My Tucson GLS V6 4WD I get ~ 16mpg and I do mostly city driving (I currently have 800 miles on it).

Key1
    On my Tucson with only 800 miles on it, I've been getting around 20 mpg around the city. I haven't done any significant highway driving to test the highway mpg.
  • key1cckey1cc Posts: 7
    20 mpg city?
    That's great....what trim do you have GL? GLS?
    V6 or 4 cylider?
    is yours 4WD or 2WD?
    Key
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    Excuse me if this has been discussed before, but I didn't scan through all 503 posts before asking....

Why does Hyundai use that - IMHO - cheap-looking grey cladding on their upper level models? It makes it look like everyone else's low-priced economy model. I like the look of the entire vehicle painted the same color as it appears more "finished" to my eye.

Looked at some yesterday, sat in it and found that it wasn't as cramped as I thought it would be. I think the driver's seat could use another inch or two rearward adjustment, but then there would be no rear passenger legroom.

Will go back this coming week to drive either a GLS or LX V6. I like the stereo in the LX, but don't really need the heated leather seats in Florida. Wish I could get the LX system in the GLS to make my decision easier!

I like the Arctic Frost with tan interior and NO moon roof.

Deke
  • waldis42waldis42 Posts: 1
    Was lucky to discover the Tucson at a local auto show last weekend. I saw a GL whose beige cloth interior was very rough. The GLS on hand had nicer, softer material, but the pattern was a bit funky, not bad, just funky. Can anyone give some input on how the grey fabric is on the GLS? How are the leather seats on the LX? Are they really worth it ($1k+)? Thanks in advance.
  • bobg26bobg26 Posts: 3
    I own a Tucson LX. I thought the fabrics in the GL and GLS models were OK. I wanted leather seats, plus the heated seats and premium stereo were things that I wanted too - so that influenced my decision to go for the LX. I am very happy with the leather seats.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    I also have a Tucson LX with the leather. What sold me is the heated seats. When you have a chronic sore back, it is awfully nice to get into the leather seat on a cold winter morning and turn the heated seats on befor you have to drive off to work. The only drawback is that now I have to get heated seats installed in my wife's Sonata before next winter if I want to live! :)
  • themanxthemanx Posts: 110
    The grey interior is the same pattern, but I thin it is more pleasing to the eye.

But in a white on, the brown was ok.

ElantraStan
  • jjpeterjjpeter Posts: 230
    Just wanted to share my driving experience last weekend from San Jose to LA and back in our GLS.

Gas milage on seperate fillups was 24.5, 23.7 and 24.2. This was running at 70 - 80 over moderatly hilly terrain. I took 101 for those of you who know the area, which incidentally is a gorgeous drive right now after all the rain we have had out here in CA.

So the sticker saying 26 highway is pretty close to what I'd have gotten if I had stayed between 55 - 65. Trouble is, you are in the way as that speed, and it would a right lane drive all the way to LAX.

The car is a remarkably smooth cruiser, quiet at 75 and has plenty of punch for climbing hills.

Very happy with our Tuskie!
  • w2323w2323 Posts: 60
    Kia has the sportage the brother of the Tucson. I have read on their site people having problems getting Kia to service the manual trans in the Kia. The dealership is saying they are failing because of drivers shifting ability. But there were a lot of people complaining. I dont know if this problem comes up in this forum or not. I just wanted to let people become aware that there is an issue there. I was looking at the manual either tucson or sportage. Now its off the table. Automatic would be the only way I would go.

Didnt know the 10 year/100k isn't transferable thats a bummer but good info.

I expect 20 mpg or better for this car. Anything less would be a disappointment. Since I'm pretty sure they have 22-27 on the window, I want truth in advertising here.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Since I'm pretty sure they have 22-27 on the window, I want truth in advertising here.

That's not advertising. It's Federally mandated by the EPA which specifies mileage testing to be done with a dynamometer and is only an approximation to real world driving. It serves as a comparison among vehicles and, of course, YMMV.

tidester, host