Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• I have owned my 2005 Tuscon GLS, V6, for 1 year now and do not have a single complaint. I have 28k on the odometer, and the only issue I had was the molding/weather striping coming loose around the windshield. I contacted the dealership, they took pictures of the issue for forwarding to Hyundai and fixed it without question, while throwing in a free oil change. The gas mileage has been fine, the heating/cooling systems work perfectly according to season, and I just love the car. The fact that it just received a 5 star crash rating was welcome news also. I had never owned a Hyundai prior to this one, and traded a 98 Lexus ES in to purchase it, and I must say I am impressed with the quality. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone, especially when you compare pricing/warranty to similar sized SUVs. Merry Christmas everyone
  • Dear emmett1;
    I recently bought 2005 Tucson LX FWD. I enjoyed a lot. It's a really good vehicle. I feel fun when driving. But I felt MPG seems low (~20mpg). What is your average MPG for past 1 year ?
  • fk322fk322 Posts: 15
    I have a 05 Tucson GLS with 4000 miles. From a stopped position, the transmission goes thru a serious of "lurches" before it finally gets up to speed. It happens on a cold and warm engine. Brought it to dealership and the problem magically diappeared before technician could diagnose it. Now its acting up again. I love this car but this is driving me nuts! Anyone having similar problems???
  • kznkzn Posts: 1
    We have the same vehicle with 1400 miles. It seems to surge and it does whether its cold or up to temp. We posted a comment regarding our experience with this. The vehicle is still in the shop waiting to be diagnosed. Please post or email when they determine what is wrong with yours. We will do the same.
  • Guy, I'm an expatriate Canadian (currently resident in the US), but I will be returning to our home in Ottawa likely next summer. I'm looking at the 2006 GLS version of the Tucson, and weighing this against the 2006 EX version of the Honda Element. What has me slightly tilting toward the Tucson is the safety ratings on the car -- better than the Element especially for rear-seat passengers. I would be very interested in your daughter's overall experience with the Tucson, especially the mileage she might be getting (how does it stack up to what was advertised by Edmunds / the manufacturer / Natural Resources Canada. Thanks!
  • fk322fk322 Posts: 15
    Second time in the shop and they figured it out. Mass Air Flow Sensor was getting the wrong readings because it came loose from the Intake Air Tube. They repositioned the Air Intake Tube and reattached the sensor. Mechanic says he has seen a rash of this same problem with the 05 Tucson. Says its a design flaw and expects Hyundai to issue a recall with a newly designed part to alleviate the problem.
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    Our's a 4 cyl GL. She's getting 10.5 to 11 l/100 km, mostly city. For the rest everything is fine so far!

Welcome back! :)
  • I have a 2005 Tucson LX and the rear windshield leaks! I have broght it to the dealer 3 times and now they are calling the tech line because they don't know how to stop the leak. They have changed the seal but it still leaks when it rains. My car smells after it rains as the water gets musty. Does this fall under the lemon law if they can't fix it??? :lemon: :mad:
  • The initial idle rpm is normally higher during a cold weather start, however I'm finding that below 32F that the idle is 1700 rpm and it takes about 4-5 minutes for it to get down to about 1200. 1700 is just too high to even put the auto in D. Anyone else notice this?
  • 238000238000 Posts: 48
    My 2005 Tucson bought in Feb 2005 has about 15,200 miles on it. At about 12,000 it began to make a vibrating noise when going up long uphills. I finally took it to the dealer - after waiting about two hours, the service manager came in and said - the problem is in the drive shaft - it is vibrating and Hyundai has come up with a fix that we'll get around the middle of Jan. 2006. So, they tweaked the drive shaft but nothing changed, so I'll have to waituntil they get the part. This is very discouraging. After the troubles with my 2003 Sonata with the front brakes, and heater problems, I'm rethinking Hyundai. I hope that the Tucson is not a dog, but what else can I think?
  • I have a 2005 Tucson LX and the rear windshield leaks! I have broght it to the dealer 3 times and now they are calling the tech line because they don't know how to stop the leak. They have changed the seal but it still leaks when it rains. My car smells after it rains as the water gets musty. Does this fall under the lemon law if they can't fix it??? :lemon:
  • I am having the exact same problem with our 05 Tucson and it just started two days ago. We have 6500 miles. For some reason it does not "buck" when you're reversing; only when driving forward. Also it seems to be worse when you're driving 30+ Mph then stop and then hit the gas. I guess we'll ask to have the sensor checked out...this website was very helpful!
    Does your Tucson has the 4 cyl engine or the V6?

Thanks,
  • I had read concerns over Tucson MPG. After 1000 miles in my 2006 4wd V-6 I prefer my Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8. I get about the same gas mileage. If you don't mind driving a small SUV gas gulper V-6, the Tucson should be considered.
  • wtowto Posts: 1
    The poor MPG I am experiencing with my Tucson seems to be the norm. I am only getting 75% of the rated mpg and that is low to begin with. The poor MPG is unexceptable. I bought the wrong vehicle. Hyundai is going to be left in the dust by other automakers if they do not start to focus on building a more efficient V-6 engine.
  • We too had this same problem of our 2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS lurching from a stopped position, when accelerating. It was very upsetting and dangerous. We took the car to the dealer and they had a factory directive about this. According to the work order, they installed new SOP Mass air flow tube clamps. This eliminated our problem. Hopefully no one else will go through this, but if your car lurches and bucks, take it right to the dealer and have them check that section of the car out.
  • rxcaptrxcapt Posts: 17
    I have to say you are being a bit unrealistic. The EPA MPG estimate has NO relation to real world driving. If anyone bases a car buying decision based on that test, they are going to be sorely disappointed from the beginning. Independent tests have generally shown that the EPA estimates are about 15-25% too high due to the methodology they use.

I can only say about mileage, that I drive in Washington, DC, and after 6000 miles I average about 20mpg which is actually right in line with the estimates. On the one long trip I have taken (I have a 2005, LX 4WD), I got about 23-24 or so. To call it a guzzler is a matter of opinion. The last car I had (a Dodge Stratus, V6) got the same mileage, so I do not really consider it a guzzler myself. Would I like more mileage (who wouldn't), would I like a bit more horsepower (sure). Supposedly those things are coming.

Even if the mileage does not improve, as a Jeep Grand Cherokee costs about $8-10,000 more, depending on the equipment, and unless you really need the towing and off road capability that the Jeep truely has, I don't see the problem, but that's me.
  • ....All I know is that my neighbor and my bro-in-law both own 05 Tucsons. Both have in excess of 10k miles and neither of them are experiencing any troubles. In fact, both are so please with the vehicles that the are Toyota and Nissan converts to the Hyundai brand.
    As far as mpg issues, well, I own a Pilot and avg. 17mpgs. EPA is 17 and 24. Never has my Pilot been over 20mpg. Am I displeased, no! I have a 3.5 V6 that is smooth and great to drive. I drove my bro-in-laws Tucson and found the Hyundai 2.7 as responsive and smooth as my Honda and if I got 20mpg I would be very pleased.
  • jacquesjacques Posts: 34
    fyi... In Montreal- Quebec I have a Kia Sportage (tucson twin) and I am running 25 lires per 100 km... or 12 miles per imp. gallon or... 9.6 miles per US gallon....

I have the awd v6 model and don't like this one bit!

I had a 2004 Sorento (Santa Fee twin) and traded down to save on gas. ...major mistake so far !!!!

I will be visiting my dealer after new year holidays

everything else... is fine.
  • What is the MPG's you guys are getting? Mine is usually 18 MPG around town.
  • pvtpvt Posts: 2
    Averaging 17-18 MPG in town, 20-21 on the road in an 05 V6. I'm disappointed both in the MPG and interior noise.
  • edgoredgor Posts: 31
    Can you get Automatic Temperature Control with the cloth seats? ATC appears to only be available on the limited, which is unfortunate because the leather on the Hyundai's is cheap-feeling, something many reviews have noted and we concur with... it felt like vinyl, esp. compared to other SUVs we tried. Not sure if they upgraded the leather for the 2006's.

Also, I read on the RAV4 forum that hyundai's are notorious for getting bad gas mileage the first few thousand miles, but then improve significantly. Has that been the experience of actual owners of the Tucson?
  • Do any of you have the 4-cylinder Tucson? If so, what's your mileage like?
    Follow up on the vibrating crank shaft: My dealer tells me that all Tucsons have this problem and that Hyundai is working on a fix to this problem. Again, I get this vibration when going up hills, and its annoying - presumably the car is safe, which is reassuring since I have to drive to Florida later this month (Jan 2006). I wouldn't recommend a 2005 Tucson or even a 2006 since they may have the same problem. Otherwise, it's a great car.
  • Really :confuse: I don't have that problem with my 2005 LX. So it isn't ALL of the Tucsons as your dealer stated.
  • ATC is not available unless you get the LX. I have 6,000 miles and get 18 MPG aroundtown.
  • The sticker does say 20/26 mpg. Wonder if we all could do something about the false advertising :mad:
  • We bought a 2005 Tucson GLS V6, 4wd in early August and have about 9,000 miles on it. We get no vibration noise going uphill (So it's NOT a characteristic of the model as someone earlier quoted a Hyundai service guy. Ours is quiet inside -- not as quiet as a tomb, but quiet anyway. We've had no leaks around the rear window, and no "lurches" or noises from the transmission. MPGs run around 20 & 22 on primarily 15-mile trips around the town. But we also help out the mileage by trying to stay at least CLOSE to the speed limit. If we're on a divided highway, we'll use the cruise control. The car is everything we've wanted so far, even though we'll probably be outside the extended 100,000 mile warranty in just five years. I figure if we keep up the maintenance, it should last much longer. First new vehicle we've ever owned.
    Well, thanks for the comments, I guess it's just my luck, with this vibration. Why are they waiting for a fix from Hyundai if its just this one vehicle? But, I'm getting pretty good mileage.
    Jacques, 25L per 100 km doesnt make sense. There must be something wrong with your Kia. I used to own a Santa Fe and never got worse than 15 L per 100 km even in the worst cold. I'm in Quebec City.