Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• I TO OWN A 2005 TUCSON FWD6 CYLINDER AND RECEIVE HORRENDOUS GAS MILEAGE, ABOUT 11-12 MPG. BROUGHT IT IN 3 TIMES, FIRST TOLD ME NEED 10,000 MILES TO BREAK IN. SECOND SAID POOR TIRE PRESSURE, THIRD TOOK IT FOR RIDE AND FUDGED THE MPG BY HANDWRITING THE GALLONS THEY FILLED TANK UP WITH AND PRICE PER GALLON, TOLD ME I GOT 22.8 MPG, ALL MY RECEIPTS PRIOR AND AFTER SHOW ABOUT 12 THEY ALSO SAID I'M USING THE AIR CONDITIONER WHICH DECREASES MPG. CALLED HYUNDAI MOTORS USA AND THEY WOULDN'T HELP ME. I'M SO FED UP WATCHING THE NEEDLE DIP I'M DUMPING THE CAR AND WILL BAD MOUTH HYNDAI TO EVERYONE. THEY HAVE NOT INCREASED THEIR QUALITY NOR DO THEY BACK UP THEIR PRODUCT.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Thanks for the comments.

I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK since people tend to ignore posts that are typed in ALL CAPS.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    How exactly did you expect Hyundai to magically fix your fuel economy?? What do you think quality has to do with fuel economy? How and where do you drive? All stop and go city? Do you consistanty speed in excess of 75 mph? Drive up and down Pikes peak every day? You people kill me... "badmouthing" Hyundai Hah what a joke. Your probable poor driving habits combined with who knows what else could have contributed to lower than expected mileage. In order to get your alleged 12mpg you have to be doing something critically wrong. A 2005 car almost assuredly cannot be that far out of tune or screwed up enough to give that kind of mileage on its own, and if it were it probably wouldn't run well enough to rely on. I turn my A.C. on in late march and turn it off in late Oct and never generated poor economy because of it so forget the A.C. as a cause. I am well familiar with the 2.7 V-6 having had one in a Santa Fe and again in a Tucson and under no circumstances did either get less than 16mpg in "urban only" driving even with winters excessive idling warm-up thrown in. So..dump the car and move on to the next SUV and be sure to check back when your Liberty...Escape...Grand Vitera...Equinox...whatever, fails to meet your expectations. Bye!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    I really find it hard to believe you are getting mileage that poor unless there are some really glaring problems that would stand out like a sore thumb to the dealer's service dept. or some very questionable driving habits involved here. I own a 2005 Tucson V6 AWD and the worst I have gotten in the cold northeastern winters was between 14 and 16 mpg, and that was last year right after I bought my Tucson before it was broken in. Now, after nearly 12000 miles on the odometer, I get 16-18 mpg in the winter and 18-21 in the summer in my daily commute to work up and down hills on mostly 2 lane, hilly roads. I think you really need to look at your driving habits as a major contributing factor here. Remember, this is an SUV vehicle and it was never designed to be an economy car, so either live with it or buy yourself a little hatchback like the Accent. ;)
  • I have a 2005 Sportage (Tucson's twin sister) and when I get out of my car and go to shut the door.....Yeow!!! I get a nasty static shock (It doesn't happen in my wife's Mazda SUV). Does this happen to anybody else?
    Its just a matter of the type of upholstry...cloth...leather or even the actual type of fabric used on cloth or fabric upholstry. All cars are different and all have the potential to shock depending on the relative humidity (low humidity = more potential for a static shock). On some cars that I had with high potential for shock due to seat material I learned to ground myself to the car body/door frame before leaving the seat.
  • Well, I disagree with you tenpin288. I have exactly the same problem ,and if you read this forum regularly you will see that a lot of people has a problem with the fuel efficiency of the Tucson. I own a 2005 AWD V6, 8,000 miles, and still getting 12-13 mpg. Toyota has just come up with a new Rav4 model that they claim can do 30 mpg. Don't get me wrong, I love my tucson, but the gas mileage is a huge problem for them.
    sh
  • peppepeppe Posts: 5
    Just spray the seats with static guard once in awhile and your problem will be solved.
  • Can anyone tell me if the tucson limited will be coming out with power drivers seat (as I have bad back & knees) and it is the only thing holding me back.Also if there is any increase in HP and if so WHEN ?? Maybe a mid year change
  • rxcaptrxcapt Posts: 17
    With all respect, you are being very unrealistic. So Toyota claims the new RAV-4 does 30mpg. WHY WHY would you believe it (you don't believe the TUCSON's numbers)? It is obvious to a casual reader that the Tucson does not make the EPA estimates claimed for it. Do you really believe the RAV-4 will be any more accurate. Do you know that the EPA highway test is run for 10 miles on a dynamometer at an average speed of 48mph (approx. 12 min)? When was the last time you drove 48mph on the interstate in 12min stretches? If you do then you probably get the mileage claimed for your vehicle. When you bought the TUCSON you bought a truck. More attractive and possible more flexible than some, but it is a truck, not an economy car. The EPA numbers are not realistic and are based on assumptions from the 1980s. Don't blame the TUCSON for not making the mileage you expect. Blame the EPA for requiring an outdated test (to be replaced in 2008), blame yourself for being disappointed that a truck driven at 65mph does not get the economy claimed for it, and blame the politicians that have allowed the EPA to continue to use an outdated test that pre-dates SUVs. Ultimately we have met the enemy and it IS us.
  • delta4delta4 Posts: 138
    rxcapt is correct. I'd like to weigh in with some additional information on the subject of fuel economy. As rxcapt mentioned previously the fuel economy estimates are official U.S. Government EPA numbers and are not from the manufacturers.

As to some of the extremely low mileage(9 mpg?)claims this seems very doubtful considering the size, vehicle weight ratio of this vehicle. Miles-per-gallon in the low teens is more likely. Also consider that other factors such as brand of fuel used i.e. Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc. can make a difference, whether the vehicle is equipped with 4 or 6 cyl, two-wheel vs. 4WD/AWD or driving with A/C on all times, percentage of city/highway driving.

When these factors are considered MPG is not as open and shut on the Tucson as some who've posted about low mileage would like to believe. Check the Honda CR-V Owner MPG Real World Numbers and you'll see this is also a far from settled topic of discussion for this make as well.
    Yes, they have but there are some things in the fine print. First, the 30 mpg is, once again, the EPA estimate.
    Second, the claimed mileage is for a 4 cylinder front wheel drive car.
    So, add the new huge 3.5 liter 270 hp V-6 and AWD automatic and see what the EPA ESTIMATES are..actually I just checked and they are: 2WD...22/29....4WD...21/28. Does anyone really think a 270 hp SUV will get those numbers??
    Frankly I still don't see how a V-6 Tucson can possibly get 12 mpg. There may be some extreme set of circumstances or conditions i.e. stuck in terrible traffic each and every day spending 1hr setting still and idling for every mile of forward progress. I have never..never experienced anything remotely bad enough to drag mileage below 15 mpg and this in a 3.5 liter Santa Fe, in winter, warming the car sufficiently to melt the frost off the glass, driving in small city urban conditions in Pa. at 30 degrees or less outside. The 2.7 liter Santa Fe previous to the 3.5 liter was about 1 mpg or so better under the same conditions as is the current Tucson. I acknowledge that many of the current Hyundai engines are not of the latest and greatest architecture i.e. VVT.but 12 mpg is BIG S.U.V. territory..."yeah, its a HEMI".
  • Hi all, just got an '06 Tucson, 6cy, 4wd, GLS. Can anybody tell me how this vehicle will perform in the sand ??? Thanks
  • I have an 05 FWD 2.0L Auto. In ALL city driving I get 17 mpg. Only have 4k miles on the vehicle so it will probably improve a little. One thing I've noticed is that, at least on the 2.0L with the 4-speed auto is its easy to run up the rpm's between shifts, you almost have to massage the throttle to keep it at normal shift points. I think a 5-speed transmission would help a lot on this vehicle and also improve the gas mileage.
  • mkirk1mkirk1 Posts: 4
    We are hoping that the Hyundai service center can resolve the poor fuel rating we are experiencing with our 2005 Tucson V6 4 WD. We have had the car in five times for this same problem with no solution to date. Others may be getting higher mileage and we are happy for them but our vehicle, which now has 8500 miles, is getting only 12-14 mpg. We love the vehicle with the exception of this significant problem.
  • I just bought a 2006 Tucson GLS with dealer-installed crossrails and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to take them off. I don't want to damage anything trying to remove them, but I want to take them off during the winter months to make clearing snow off the roof easier. Can someone tell me how to remove them? Thanks!
  • I wonder if the poor mileage is linked to a problem with the traction control or stability control, so that the brakes are applied unnecessarily. I read on another bulletin board that a Tucson had problems with the Yaw sensor and the VSC responded with unwanted braking and this effected the steering.
    With respect to the poor mileage, the brakes might be applied evenly. Maybe inspection of the brake pads might turn up something?
    If they are constructed like those on my previously owned Santa Fe they are unlocked with a special key supplied with them (the crossrails). The top part of unlocked end then "flipped up" allowing for that end to be removed from the roof rails then the opposite side just pulled away from the permanent roof rail. I probably confused the issue but it is a lot easier than it sounds. You first need to unlock the locked end with the special key and if I remember correctly there was a small rubber plug protecting the keyhole from the weather and this also needs to be temporarily removed to access it.
  • I don't know if they are the same type or not, but these do not appear to have any sort of plug and I wasn't provided any key for the crossrail assembly. One other thing to note is that these seem to be a 4-part assembly. It looks as if there are two brackets that clamp onto the existing roof rack and then the crossrails clamp onto these as well as the rack bars.
  • dirtbagdirtbag Posts: 57
    Whew, I've read every post on this forum and I don't believe anyone has explained how the wiper de-icers work. A search of the web turned up nothing. Is this feature built into the windshield or in the wipers? What does it do and is it effective? I live in the mountains where we get lots of snow and the feature sounds interesting.

On another note; are there any Tucson owners here from Colorado? How does yours do on the passes, say between Denver and the ski resorts or any other high traverse? With which engine? I wouldn't really expect the smaller engine to do too well on steep grades. Just wondering if you can maintain 65 mph with the 2.7 liter version.
    It seems then that they are different on the 06 Tucson from my older(2003) Santa Fe. Doesn't the owners manual mention how to do this? How about giving the service dept of your dealer a call to see if it is even possible and if so, how.
  • mclarkmclark Posts: 3
    In regards to the wiper de-icers and engine high altitude performance...

The wiper de-icers simply use heat strips embedded in the windshield identical to those in the rear window. And just like for the rear window, they are activated by a button on the dash. The wiper de-icers work very well.

As for the engine at altitudes... I have the GLS V6 AWD and it performs very well. I took it to Colorado in March, 2005 and was also anxious to see how it would perform at high altitudes. It passed the first test of the Raton Pass (about 8,000 ft.) at the NM/CO border with flying colors. No problem maintaining the speed limit. I proceeded to Denver and then to Lake Dillon on Hwy 70. There was absolutely no problem with power or keeping up with traffic. Admittedly, traffic was slowed down and not going the speed limit, but there was power to spare. I then visited Montezuma which is over 10,250 feet in elevation. The lack of power at that elevation is noticeable (as would be the case with any vehicle), but not enough to be a show stopper in purchasing the vehicle. The highest point reached on the trip was I believe Hoosier Pass which was somewhere south of Lake Dillon with an elevation of about 11,000 ft. There wasn't much traffic, so I was able to go significantly faster, but was still slowed by snow and ice conditions. Again there was some lack of power, but not a significant show stopper. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.

I have also used the all wheel drive in up to 6 inches of snow and again was pleasantly surprised by the Tucson's ability to plow through. No doubt the standard traction control feature helps out with that. With the AWD locked in, it was able to tackle even deeper drifts.

So if you live in Colorado or want to use this vehicle for a bit of adventuring to such states, I highly recommend the Tucson. For the features and price, it simply cannot be beat for value.

Mark
  • mclarkmclark Posts: 3
    As a side note to the above mentioned trip to Colorado...

During that trip I averaged over 23 mpg. That's with the GLS V6 AWD in a mix of hot and cold, snow and ice. In mixed driving here in Texas, I average about 20 mpg. ...which is about the EPA estimate, so I can't complain!

Mark
  • mkirk1mkirk1 Posts: 4
    many thanks for that information. will call the service center manager and mention this to him and go from there.
    aloha,
  • Thanks, Mark for the information.

I'm very enthusiastic about making the Tucson my next car. I may wait a year to see what happens with the 2007 model. The overwhelming majority of negative comments I see on this Tucson thread have to do with poor gas mileage. With the hint that new more economical engines are coming, it might be worth waiting to see what Hyundai does next year.

Other less significant improvements I'd like to see before buying would be auxiliary audio input (iPod integration) and a darker interior color choice. Otherwise, I think the Tucson is nearly perfect for me. It might be hard to wait.
  • Speaking of improvements for the 2007 model year, has anyone heard of anything definite yet? iPod integration and a darker interior would be great starters...haha!
  • is the currently available turbo-diesel engines sold in the European market and the Middle East, installed in the U.S Tucson. There are even two varieties, the standard output and a high output version but both have far more torque than the current 2.7 liter V-6 and both get superior fuel economy. Modern direct injection diesels are considerably quieter at idle, don't smoke and are generally undetectable as a diesel at highway speeds. Yeah, I know diesel fuel costs more than gas... the car costs more when you buy it etc, but if Hyundai priced it as reasonably as all its other vehicles, well, it would be worth a look.
  • Targettuning: I was thinking along the same lines about offering a diesel in the Tucson... Heck, in ALL models Hyundai makes. I'm reading so much about biodiesel fuel, and even running diesels on straight vegetable oil that it just makes sense. Then we can be energy independent and grow our own fuel. I would buy a diesel-equipped Tucson in a heartbeat!
  • I hate it when I get stuck behind a diesel vehicle on the highway. I have to slow down or pass, to get out of its fumes. I'd much rather see a hybrid Tucson than a further proliferation of diesels.
  • I have been searching around in the Hyundai international site and there are a lot of Hyundai cars currently for sale in the U.S.A. as gas only that are available in Europe with diesel engines. Included are the Tucson the current generation Santa Fe, the Elantra, and a couple of bigger European only SUV's