Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• depending on the state you are in it may be illegal and may not pass state inspection if your state has one. Additionally, these "fog lights" are annoying to other drivers..me included... when used indiscriminately. Why do some always think the manufacturer doesn't know best on designing these things and wish to re-engineer their car?
  • I'm not looking for a moral judgement on the use of fog lites, whether the company knows best or not, or even if it's legal. All I want to know( and right now it seems I never will) is if it can be done. That's all. I don't even think I would do it. It was just a , I thought, resonable question. :surprise:
  • Don't think the dealer has ever solved one issue with my 05 Tucson. Latest is 1700-1800 rpm idle on cold start. Thats too high to put an auto into drive. One time won't kill the tranny, but its not good for it. Since there's no check engine light, they are hesitant to replace anything. It takes 5 minutes for the idle to get down to 1200. I'm at the point of just leaving the vehicle at the dealer until its fixed. Owning the vehicle for a year, I'm of the firm position that their much advertised warranty is mostly worthless. Unless a part falls off the car, they won't replace it. This is my first and last Hyundai. Consumer reports got their rating correct, below average.
  • ask a question..any question, in any open forum and you will get the full range of answers including moral, and legal intpretations and everything in between. People, me included, will inject our personel feelings about any subject. Those damn fog lights blind me every single night on what seems to be every single vehicle...so my answer is tinged with indignation. Can it be done? who knows, not me. Should I pass on questions like this?...probably, but it will never happen.
  • Let me guess...your last car or several cars were trouble free (Toyota or Honda maybe). Even if there were some problems the dealer fixed them on the spot right? The idea of leaving it until repaired is good, that way it may actually get repaired. If it idles fast on a cold start it needs to be left for a ...cold start. Most dealers are understandably reluctant to throw $200-300 parts at a problem in the vague hope of fixing it. Just a question, how many repair issues could a 1 year old car have had??
  • I come back to write to all of you...After 24.000 km Hyundai service change complete transaxle automatic on my car and after 42 days and 34.500 km error come again and today I return the car and I decide to never buy again this model.

Car start jumping when trying to change gear from 3 to 4 and CHECK light is ON. Car produce huge metal noise and something broke hard in transaxle. Gear remain in 3 and it was not possible to change in 2 or 4...like this I come at service...

Also many Tucson owner here in SLOVENIA have problems whit noise in front right or left part...they change one peace I dont know the name but this part is from gum in one metal ring...

Sad becuase I like this car.

Same mistake and dealer say to me today...sorry but we can't order again same car V6 2.7 whit automatic gear???

WHY? FACTORY ERROR of course.

Today I order a new VOLVO XC 90 5T and hope to be free of simmilar errors...Hope.

Nice regards to USA from Europe

BRanko

p.s. don't buy Tucson V6 2.7 whit automatic transaxle.NOOOO :cry:
  • BRanko:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Tucson. We have the 2.7 V6 GLS model here, and it's working perfectly. Wife drives it, and has put about 11,500 miles on it since August in mixed city and highway driving. We average about 22 miles to the gallon. Maybe you should speak with somebody at Hyundai-Europe about your problems -- somebody higher up than the dealer.
  • I would not have driven the 9.5 MPG KIA for more than a week. Unless someone is tapping off your fuel tank you are washing all lubrication off your cylinder walls. What does your oil smell like? What color is your exhaust? how does it smell?

This is about 2006 Tucson MPG: Well now, I have a 2004 Diesel Sprinter Van which hauls a lot of my camping and boating gear and gets 27 MPG. Unfortunately it is rear wheel drive and even with four studded snows goes nowhere when carrying less than 8,000 pounds. So I went and got me a 2006 Tucson V6 AWD and put four studded snows on it. Superlative! less than 4,000 miles so far and getting 21 MPG mixed driving in cold weather in rural Massachusetts. It seems 2/3rds of new cars here are Tucsons. Owners speak well of them. If I do not get 24MPG on long trips at 63 MPH during this summer's warm weather, then I will make a fuss. I will take advice and put on the KN filters. I drive very much like a Brit circa 1948 and have always exceeded the EPA ratings. My only complaint so far is that backup lights are worthless. I will modify as soon as it gets warm. Will we ever get a diesel Tucson in the USA?
  • I agree, when will we get a diesel Tucson in the US???!! I want to get one and convert it into a grease car that will run off used vegetable oil.
  • AAAAAAA-MEN to that!! I'd LOVE a diesel Tucson (and a Sonata, too) just to run on biodiesel fuel or straight Vegetable Oil. We've got the means to drastically slash oil imports right now, but nobody is SCREAMING at our lawmakers to do anything about it. We need a lobby.
  • Where are you going to fill up with biodiesel or vegetable oil? For the time being it might be better to push our lawmakers to raise mileage requirements for SUVs, which are currently unregulated. Then perhaps (in a few years) we might see Tucsons that go 30-40 miles on a gallon of gas like they aught to.

I'm all for alternative fuels but I think there's more that can be done in the short term before these fuels become widely available.
  • You can get good used vegetable oil from Chinese restaurants for free, which I hear they will gladly do since they have to pay for someone to come take theirs away. Then, you can store it in one of those empty metal barrels, install a pump and a water heater element to melt it enough to pump, and you are in business. A company called www.greasecar.com custom builds the tanks and lines to install the systems in your diesel, making it a different kind of hybrid. Speaking of hybrid, I'd love to see Hyundai make a hybrid diesel Tucson.
  • Regarding bio-diesel, I just heard the "Click and Clack" (Car Talk) show on public radio this past week-end and there is a bit of hassle involved with using it. I don't have all the details but you may need two fuel tanks with a mixer valve because as I remember you need to start the car with straight diesel and there may be other circumstances that pure diesel is needed. I would settle for a diesel period!!
  • although I am not entirely sure I don't believe SUV's are totally unregulated. But, regardless, regulated or not the market drives the SUV craze...people simply want (needed or not) large, heavy, boxy, complex drive line 4WD vehicles. These things are inherently poor fuel economy wise and no amount of regulation will make most SUV's efficient. I guess you can play with "hybrid" technology as some have but in order to gain a couple of mpg the pay-back cost becomes high. Diesel, in my opinion is a good way to gain fuel economy on these types of vehicles...most companies already sell diesel engines in the pick ups a lot of the larger SUV's are based on so it would be a simple matter to put them into their SUV's also. Additionally, in Europe, the middle east and others diesel rules on every type vehicle. Hyundai...Toyota..Honda and others already sell diesel SUV's there. What we really need is the gov't to start working on cleaner diesel fuels i.e. low sulfur. Then cleaner air will follow even from diesels. This, in my opinion, is a lot easier and quicker to do than develop new technology.
  • Yeah, you are right, targettuning. You do need two tanks. You need to initially start the vehicle running diesel because it needs to run for a minute or two while the tank with the vegetable oil (which is supposed to have a heating element inside it) heats up enough to melt the oil, then you hit a switch and it runs off the vegetable oil. One popular place to put the second tank is to have one custom made and install it in the spare tire compartment. To me, it would be hassle that'd be worth it.
  • "although I am not entirely sure I don't believe SUV's are totally unregulated"

True, SUVs aren't totally unregulated. They fit into the government requirement for light trucks (non-passenger vehicles) which is currently 21 mpg, while for passenger cars, it's 27 mpg. The averages in each category don't meet the requirements but that's another subject.

More pressure applied to automakers would encourage them to use lighter materials in SUVs and develop better engines. Without good regulation vehicles are made cheaply, to maximize profit, not fuel efficiency. It may not be possible to get 40 mpg with an SUV like the Tucson but what we do get could be improved quite a bit if all auto makers had to meet better requirements. Diesel might be one way to do it, but I hate the stink of most diesel engines.

By the way, I don't think there are enough Chinese restaurants to keep us all on the road. :)
  • I am pleased at everyone's interest in diesel powered Tucsons. So now let us try to gather some information. I have owned three bought used VW Rabbit Diesels, but I do not think that experience is applicable to an AWD Tucson. I do still have in storage a rotted out 1984 Ford Sedan which was sold for only one year. It has a (I think) 1.9 litre Mazda Diesel Engine. I purchased this one well used. It got 43 mpg at all times; highway or rush hour in New York City. An absolutely magnificent power plant. The less said about what Ford did with it, the better. What are your favorite small diesels? What engine did you like? In the meantime I will try to find diesel Tucsons marketed elsewhere. Did I see one in Italy? Has anyone seen one?I will keep you posted. - Fred
  • We could get the ball rolling by writing to Hyundai requesting a diesel model Tucson. I searched the Web site and found only one e-mail address: consumeraffairs@hmausa.com

At least we should let the company know there's an audience for diesels.

Bob
  • Hej
    Here in Sweden we have one Hyundai Tucson diesel, It is a 2.0 liter CRDi. Lock at the Hyundai Sweden web site
    www.hyundai.se
    You can find all the specifications here.
    Fuel effiencenty for the diesel is 7.1 liter/100 km.

Bertil Jonsson
    Goteborg
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Fantastic!! Bring the diesel version over :)
  • Diesel Tucsons and for that matter diesel powered Santa Fe,Elantra, and some other vehicles not available in the US are sold in the U.K. Europe, Middle Eastern countries and probably others. I have found a test of a diesel Tucson on a U.K. car site called Car keys (try www.carkeys.co.uk). According to that test fuel economy is at 47.9 mpg in the "extra urban" test....39.8 combined. I presume these are the British version of the EPA tests. Keep in mind also these are probably Imperial gallons. Someone else can do the conversion to US gallons. The tester got 37 mpg combined which included off road driving. Time to 60mph was around 13 seconds and top speed was 104mph. It did quite well off road also. Searching Hyundai's international site I found there is not one but two modern direct injection turbo diesels available, a standard version and a high output version.
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    Even if they bring the diesel option vehicles over, the vehicles may not meet EPA requirements for 50 states. In addition, the diesel fuel in the USA is loaded with high Sulfur content. The "Sour" (high Sulfur) diesel may cause premature damage to Emission control equipment of the vehicles.

It is the big oil companies in this country that drag their feet in selling the low sulfur diesel fuel that they are selling in Europe. EPA should has turned the screw on this industry as they did on Auto industry to clean up the emission problem. What do you expect when the oil men running the country?
    jt

jt
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    FYI,

The EPA issued a regulation some time ago that new, lower limits (a 90% reduction) to diesel engine emissions will go into effect on January 1, 2007. To that end, the low sulfur diesel fuel required to meet the regs is to be available nation-wide by October this year. Trucking companies are hard at work now replacing equipment that won't meet the regs. That also means that the "clean" diesel fuel will soon be available to the passenger vehicles that need them.

Link to EPA rules
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Manufacturers won't try to market diesels in the USA for that very reason...new EPA emission regs for diesel and the inability to market them in most, if not all, 48 continous states. I feel that the cleaner fuel (low sulfur)will help this a lot. What do you mean "big oil companies dragging their feet?" The last time I checked diesel fuel is oil or petroleum derived and the oil companies will refine...market.. and sell it too!! Therefore they will have an additional product to sell, another paranoid who thinks oil men "run" the country.
  • We currently own a 2005 Tucson GLS. I read with interest the posts concerning the possibility of a diesel Tucson. Through the years I have owned a 1977 used VW diesel Rabbit and a new 1984 VW turbo diesel Jetta. During that time the diesel fuel was less expensive...Here's what you have now: Higher fuel cost (28 cents a gallon higher in my area), the stench of the diesel fuel, the lower power, and the wait for the glow plugs to warm up. In addition, here in Buffalo, New York the winters are very cold and if the diesel fuel is not treated, the fuel will jell up on you and cause your engine to die out. In addition, when you get around zero degrees, a diesel is very hard to start (notice the truckers keep their rigs running all the time?)...I wound up having a heater installed on my engine....If a diesel is what you want, God love you. I for one would never have one again...
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    I have owned three bought used VW Rabbit Diesels

What are your favorite small diesels? What engine did you like?

....81 Rab Diesel/85 Quan TD (both new)...
    ...purchased at 69k, a used 82 Rab PU still lurques in my garage.........

Little dude logged 55 MPG enroute the Oregon coast a while back.

(at an admittently sedate 55MPH) I got no problema with the 1.6l NA diesel mated w/ the 5-speed (has a clutch too) in that little trucklet.

Fred F.
    God, if the latest in diesel technology you experienced was a 1984 Jetta it is no wonder you oppose them. I don't know where to start with improvements made over the years..they are no longer bog slow...require long glow plug wait...smell or smoke objectionably.....excessively noisy...start hard in colder weather (although very cold weather, way below 0 deg. F, may still require an engine heater) the fuel is generally better with additives to prevent jelling. So, your memories are rooted in the "stone age" of diesel technology. Try a modern diesel and join the 21st century.
  • I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings as I just wanted to describe my experiences with diesels....I do remember General Motors pulling out the diesels and swapping them with gasoline engines...I also remember carburetors, points, condensers, etc. and look where the gasoline engine is today!....I'll take a gasoline engine anyday---maybe with an electric engine too...I can't believe that diesel fuel still doesn't have a stench to it....I certainly don't see Toyota, General Motors, etc. killing themselves in this 21st century building flocks of diesels....It's funny, but when I bought my diesels people told me the same thing----the diesel is so much improved!!
    And I believed it then! Not anymore.....If you want something better than just a gasoline engine then go to the hybrid.....That's the wave of the future (and they contain gasoline engines!)
    You certainly didn't hurt my feelings. I just wanted to point out that a 1984 car is hardly the "latest and greatest" in any technology you would care to name. I will try to address your points as best I can. Yes, diesel still smells like diesel but they don't emit smoke out the tail pipe much any more. If you stand behind a running diesel there is no question it IS a diesel. 1. "I certainly don't see Toyota, GM,etc killing themselves in this 21st century building flocks of diesels" Well,if you lived in Europe..the U.K. ....Middle East or practically anywhere on earth other than the USA you WOULD see Hyundai.. Toyota..Honda Ford GM BMW Mercedes and every other auto manufacturer building, marketing, and selling (more than 50% of all European cars are diesels)diesel cars, light trucks, vans and everything in between. 2. "When I bought my diesels people told me the same thing---the diesel is so much improved"...and they probably were... as compared to 1950 but this is 2006 and they ARE improved greatly but we in the U.S. never much see of those improvements due to EPA restrictions on emissions...
    Yeah, GM cobbled together a diesel in the 80's and they were junk. It was basically a converted 350 cu.in. gas V-8 that, in typical GM fashion, was thrown together to let them be able to say "we have a diesel" when they were popular. Don't even think of equating it to a modern direct injection turbo diesel. 3. Hybrid technology is OK but there still are unanswered questions about it too.
    A)how long will that expensive battery pack last?
    B)how much will it cost to replace...$3000 or $4000?
    C) how will unknown battery pack life affect trade in values.
    D) for those buying a used Prius/Civic/Escape/Accord hybrid...gee how long will the battery in my "new" used car last before I have to spend $$$? see "B" above
    E) people are still complaining about lower than expected fuel economy
    G) how about all that complicated, computer driven, drive mode switching. From all electric to all gas to varying degrees of combinations of both. How about all the electromechanical devices required to do all that?
    H) how about battery pack leakage in a rear ender? and what about battery disposal fees? You certainly don't think the dealer is going to pay for that do you?
    I) payback on a hybrid. This is the time involved in recouping the premium price of the original purchase by virtue of its better gas mileage is a really long time even if gas prices go up and up. Most owners who drive average miles per year probably won't do it in less than 5 years or after most will probably trade...see A,B,C above.
    So, diesel is simple and effective and probably cheaper to maintain in the long run...and they do run long!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    payback on a hybrid. This is the time involved in recouping the premium price of the original purchase by virtue of its better gas mileage is a really long time even if gas prices go up and up. Most owners who drive average miles per year probably won't do it in less than 5 years or after most will probably trade.

FYI,

Consumer Reports just did an analysis of hybrid operating costs and the results were not pretty. Here is an excerpt:

In our analysis, only two of the six hybrids we have tested recovered their price premium in the first five years and 75,000 miles of ownership (see Hybrids vs. all gas). The Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid provide a savings of about $400 and $300, respectively, over that period. But that is only if buyers are able to take advantage of limited federal tax credits. Extra ownership costs over five years for the other four models ranged from about $1,900 to $5,500, compared with those of similar all-gas models.

Their take on it is that most hybrids are at best a wash and more than likely more expensive to operate than their gas counterparts unless:

1. You hold on to them for at least 5-7 years+
    2. You drive more than the average 12-15,000 miles per year
    3. You practice proper hybrid driving techniques
    4. You can take maximum advantage of any and all available tax incentives.

All in all, a tough road to travel to get possibly minimal gas savings. Hybrids may be a good choice for some, but for most a properly sized, well-maintained, gas or diesel powered vehicle is probably the better choice. ;)