Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    all that means is you can disable the ESP, but not the TCS. (And even then, Im pretty sure that you cant disable ESP entirely. Check with your owners manual. In my opinion, you should always leave ESP on in normal conditions.

~alpha
  • dmick1dmick1 Posts: 1
    Sounds like the same problem, that the Santy 04, 3.5 V6 with the drive by wire acceleration has. Alot of people are complaining about it, including me, there is a fix but mine did not seem to work. Going back to complain some more. The switch is to sensitive.
  • So that would mean even if I do not have a TCS light but only a ESP light, then Traction control should be there? In the manual it does not show both together. I looked at the gauge cluster and there is not even a place where a TCS light could be only ESP.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Bottom Line:

You have a Tucson. ALL Tucsons have stability and traction control. Stability control can be partially disabled by using the button on the dash, which I believe is to the lower left of the steering wheel.

~alpha
  • The only reason I question it is in the manual it separates the two. If TCS is installed there will be a switch and a light....If ESP is installed you will see a switch and light. I have a ESP light and shitch.....So that has me wondering. There no precise info that says that if ESP is installed than you will have TCS?
  • I recently received a 'SPECIAL TEST MARKET' coupon offer from Hyundai for $1000.00!

They claim they are in 'desperate need of pre-owned 2003 Elantras'.

I have till the 25th of Oct. to decide.

"We would like to exchange your 2003 Elantra for any new 2004 or 2005 Hyundai car, van or sport ute."

Anyone else get this offer/
    I'm in the Philly area.
    Frank
  • Frank, this is a well-known dealership marketing strategy. It's designed to get you in the door looking at a new vehicle and hopefully, BUYING a new vehicle!

I consistently get these ads for vehicles I've long since traded in :)

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• of your 2003 Elantra. They'll turn around and try to get top dollar for your 2003 Elantra on their lot or traded to another dealer, etc. The whole thing just keeps on moving in circles, sort of! As long as someone pulls the trigger always and keeps on purchasing. Demand is strong, therefore price should go up, right? Humm...wait a minute are car prices really rising, in terms of real-value as compared to Lee Iacooca's days of saving poor Chrysler? They're being sold with rebates, like they were in the early 80's, in some cases. Ya gotta hand it to Lee Iacocca the salesman, he worked his butt off to keep #3 afloat.

Back to the coupon, it's not such a bad deal, it's an incentive, and that's all some people need to pull the trigger and go get one of those monster wheels.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    If you want to test the dealer, go there, work out a deal without mentioning the coupon. After that see if the coupon has any value. Chances are there is a stipulation in the fine print that it must be presented before numbers are presented. If they will honor it on a Tucson you are getting an unbelievable deal so long as there aren't any mysterious dealer markups above sticker.
  • I have spent the last 2 months researching, test driving, kicking tires etc. I formerly sold cars so know the business from the inside. Keep in mind I always look for genuine quality first and value second. The following are my impressions:

The Tucson marks a real and significant change in build quality that surpasses what Toyota and Honda (long benchmarks) offer in this class. You can see that by looking at the list of standard items offered. It is impressive. What is more impressive is actually seeing and feeling the quality. I can't see where they spared anything or took any shortcuts.

The vehicle is actually for my wife, so I made sure it was pleasing for her to drive in every way. Women will LOVE this car. It is small enough and everything just fits and works so well together.

A few of the items that particularly impressed me are:
    1) The cruise control is straight from the Lexus, including placement execution. Great!
    2) 10 air bags, 4 wheel disc brakes, vehicle stability and traction control, P235x60x16 tires, rear window opens separately from tailgate, de-icer, QUIET, really smooth switchgear including v-6. Keep in mind this is all standard on the GLS.

I paid just over invoice (under $22K out the door), and would be shocked to see them have to offer rebates or other special incentives in the near future. My guess is that once the public gets wind of the incredible value and quality this vehicle offers there could be a shortage.

By the way this has been targeted to be the fastest growing segment of the car business over the next 5 years. At 20-26 mpg I can see why.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    The post read like an informercial, but we will have to wait and see how the longer term quality turns out on this new design.
    The Hyundai name still equals bad resale due to the reputation of the older vehicles and because it is often seen as the car you get when you can't or don't want to spend the money on what you really wanted (Toyota, Honda).
    I have heard that the newer Hyundais have improved quality, but since they are still pretty new and low mileage, they haven't been around enough to show long term reliability or change perceptions.
    So, resale/trade-in prices will have to be cheap or people will just buy a used Honda or Toyota instead. This causes poor resale value.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    It is a new design, but the engines have been proven in other vehicles for years and the platform is from the Elantra, which has an Above Average reliability rating. I bought a '01 Elantra GLS four years ago because it was a better car than the Civic and Corolla (and much less expensive), and bought a '04 Elantra GT this spring because it was a better car than the Matrix (and much less expensive). Their quality has been excellent. One failed part (a sensor) in four years with the GLS, and no problems at all with the GT so far. Resale is not as good as comparable Hondas and Toyotas right now, but when you can save thousands over those makes and can drive them for ten years and still be covered under warranty, who cares if resale is lower? It's coming up from where it was a few years ago, before Hyundai's focus on quality started.

I stopped in at my local Honda dealer last night to look at the new Ody and saw a '05 CRX EX AWD stick shift on the showfloor. Sticker was $22,200. The Tuscon GLS with V6 and automatic, plus all the other standard features, is $100 less. Fuel economy is about the same. The Tuscon has the V6, automatic, stability, SACs, and longer warranty for the same money as the CRV. For the price of a CRX EX automatic you could get the top-of-the-line Tuscon LX with leather etc. etc.

If you buy a car with the intent of selling it in 2-3 years, yes, it makes sense to get a Honda or Toyota because of the better resale value. But if you plan on driving the car for several years, Hyundai makes a lot of sense because of the feature content, quality, and warranty for less money.
  • Thank you for the compliment regarding my, "infomercial".

As part of my research of course I checked resale prices because as everyone should know depreciation is the hidden and often the most costly part of owning a car. What is said regarding automobiles (not SUV's) by Hyundai is true. They are great values when they are one or two years old.

However the Santa Fe is proving to be quite different. I shopped the net and the dealers to check the actual selling prices as well as lease residuals, and I found that I can purchase a new 2004 model with rebate for less than resale prices! Real world residual is similar to the 4 dr Camry (one of the best). In my case I believe it better to buy new and know what I am getting. I have read where as many as 1/3 of all cars resold within the first 3 years of new have sustained major damage in some way and have been repaired. Makes sense. CarFax is not perfect, and I also remember the 10yr/100,000 warranty is not transferable on Hyundais.

We are replacing a '98 Nissan Sentra with 170K miles showing, and if you plan to keep a car as long as we do this is an excellent choice.
    No matter what the blue book value says, a 1 year-old vehicle cannot sell for the same as new.
    If there are big rebates and other discounts that make the sales price of a new one around the same as the book value of a used one, then the used car sellers have to lower their prices to compensate.
    Discounting on new vehicles causes worse resale value down the road.
    Saying "I'll get a new one because the price is close to the same or lower than used after the rebate" is based on a fallacy.
    If new cars are greatly discounted, then used car sellers must reduce their prices enough to make them attractive or they will be impossible to sell.
    And that is one reason why resale on Hyundais like the Elantra and Sonata are not great, because there are large rebates on them, and why resale on Hondas are high, because they do not have rebates. But there have not historically been large rebates on the Santa Fe, and there are no rebates (except a $500 loyalty rebate) on the Tuscon. If Hyundai is successful in their strategy to move up-market with their new line of vehicles (Tuscon, NF Sonata, upsized Santa Fe, etc.) and can hold the line on rebates while continuing to improve quality, resale values will continue to improve.
    Usually there is no huge rebate on a new model right at the outset. That doesn't mean there won't be big rebates on the Tuscon in 6 months or later when you might want to try to sell your 1 or 2 year old Tuscon.
    I would never sell a car after only 1-2 years. You'll get killed on depreciation no matter what you buy. If I planned on driving a car for only a short time, I'd lease it instead. That's where cars with high residuals, like Hondas and Toyotas, have an advantage.

BTW, I stopped by my local Hyundai dealer today and got a good look at the Tuscon. They had two LX samples, both FWD. Inside and out, these are sharp vehicles! The interiors were especially well done. They are the nicest interiors yet from Hyundai, IMO. Very classy with the brushed metal trim and chrome accents. The leather surfaces were also nicely done, and looked much richer than the $21 price would indicate. I didn't have time for a drive, but if the ride is as solid and smooth as reviews indicate, Hyundai is going to sell a lot of these little SUVs, with the price of a loaded V6 the same as a 4-cylinder Honda or Toyota model. The main competition could come from Ford and Chevy, with the Escape and Equinox offering a V6 in the same price range or less (Equinox under $18k in today's ads).
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    in Alpine Frost(a metallic bluish green I instantly loved) with option 4--sun roof and upgraded stereo. I've been dreaming about this SUV since it was first announced last November.

Normally, negotiating a price is fun. I normally buy near the end of the model year, but I didn't want to wait. This is the 3rd car I've purchased from this particular dealer. The Edmunds TMV showed the average discount only $144 off sticker! The dealer said they couldn't negotiate until the model was out least 6 months old. They also swore there was no dealer holdback for this model, and the only other Tucson they sold went for full price (an Escape trade-in). The dealer only wanted to give me the $500 loyalty rebate. After an hour of "negotiating," I was able to get $339 off the list price. With my 02 Elantra GT trade-in, it was $14,653.52 out the door.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Why no driver side overhead assist grip as in the Elantra GT? Also. the rear package shelf is awkward. A retractable one would make more sense.
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    There is an overhead grip on all four doors in my Tucson, mpgman.

The shelf is a bit awkward, although you can open it and push it back a little farther, but you feel like you are forcing it. The good news is, there is a light at the top and the side--a little better than the GT.