Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    Well, I appreciate your response. I do enjoy Titan's straight forward look for a truck. I agree Ford is a pretty outstanding truck with an outstanding reputation. I never really saw the
    Titan as a honda elment. I guess it must be very abstract for me not to see it. I do believe will challenge Ford with an outstanding reputation of its own. I would like to see a dual climate thing in the Titan. Maybe Some of the solar tinted windshields. I would really like to see a hardcover for the bed. Those are some of the changes I would make with the truck. I probably would like some 18 inch off road tires for the 4 by 4 model. I think those would be good changes.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the titan has solar tint from the factory. its more of a UV blocker than a tint, though.

also, hard covers are available through A.R.E. at any truck accessory shop.
    Hey, how about the dual climate control for the family? Why can't you get the dvd without the sunroof? Or the sunroof without the dvd player? Some of these packages only purpose is to run the price to $40,000. I like the truck but why don't they allow you greater flexibility. I notice Ford seems to have a more extensive accessory list. Is the UV blocker meant to keep the truck cool or just block out harmful rays? How soon are the 05 supposed to come this year?I figure probably Ford and Titan 05 will come out around the same time.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    "Some of these packages only purpose is to run the price to $40,000"

1. DON'T pay sticker price. I paid $30,500 for a $39,035 MSRP

2. Packaged options is the only way to offer with a limited number of units in stock. Most people who want a DVD want the sunroof too. If you don't, you'll either pay for the option you did'nt want too or buy the next level down and do without the one you wanted. Ford offers more choices because there are twice as many to choose from. I shopped on line for mine and checked the inventory of 15-20 dealers within a 300mi radius of home before selecting one that was ALMOST exactly what I wanted. With Ford It's impossible to get FX4 trim with "moonroof" and NOT leather seats. After looking at more than a hundred, I got leather and put covers on them.

'05s are shipping now.
    Wow, I thought I shopped around for vehicles. I think that would probably be a whole other state for me. That was one heck of a discount. That must have been a huge dealership. Or there must have been a lot of competition. So what was the truck a fully loaded crew cab? I'm somewhat motivated to go out for my truck after hearing about your deal. Thanks for the information it definitely is helpful.
    Getting a vehicle near or even below invoice is no trick. It's work You need to know exactly what you want. Then you need to know what's available for how much. It's very important to know what you want FIRST, otherwise you see too many posibilities to keep track of and loose sight of your goal which is a vehicle close enough to what you want at a fair price. When the salesman says "would you consider" or "how about", the answer in a firm, but not rude "no" When you do find one that meets your criteria then the same rule applies to price negotiation. Don't be rude but don't give them your wallet either. They want to sell you the car and they'll make money if they do.

The clencher; A fair price depends on a lot of factors. Some cars are really worth MSRP or even more but, not your Titan even though it's a new on the market vehicle. What would I pay for a Titan? The same formula I used for my Ford; MSRP - 10% minus all advertised incentives. Check the internet for these because they're not always advertised locally. If the salesman can't accept your offer without checking with someone else first, ask to deal directly with them and don't take no for an answer.I did'nt haggle. My offer was accepted over the phone and I went and picked it up. Don't get angry. Don't get rude and don't take no for an answer. If they don't want to give you the price then politely excese yourself to "get a better price" and leave them your number WHEN THEY ASK so they can give you a better price.

My last truck I bought from a dealer here in Fresno while negociating a price on my cell phone with a dealer in San Jose. The guy here quit trying for that extra few hundred and gave me the truck for less than I had hoped.

Fully loaded ex-cab FX4, I don't like ultra short bed crew cabs
    The $8,535 under MSRP that I paid was only $35 less than the price advertised a week later. "Up to $8500 in discounts and rebates" and this time of year all manufacturers are selling at invoice on almost everything. Don't pay more on a close out vehicle. If you're willing to work for it you can always get the same price except maybe the first month of a new model year.
  • 04f150l4x404f150l4x4 Member Posts: 33
    I also hate that short beds. They are of no use.

The reverse sensing comes in handy with the exception of lowered vehicals due to the lift. I hit some lowered car while backing up with no damage to my vehical (not even a scratch), but created some extensive damage to the other vehical.

Added 6 inch lift and tire/rims
    Added replacement billet grill
    Added bed Extender

Looking to replace the headers and exhaust with JBA.

Undecided on the Tonneau covers: A.R.E or LEER

San Diego:
    Bought an BLACK '04 F-150 LARIET Supercab 4X4, options 3.73 limited slip, audiophile/6disc, bright tubular running boards, power moonroof, power sliding rear window, tow package, reverse sensing system, black lthr trimmed cpt chairs, pwr driver/passender seat, heated front seats (will never use), linex sprayed bedliner, 75,000 extended warranty and low jack for 31,000K after all the rebates, tax and license.
    "I also hate that short beds. They are of no use" I agree they are of little value as a truck but YOU said you wanted to trade for a King Ranch Supercrew which only comes with that bed.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    One thing I'd add to your shopping advice: Don't even talk to a "salesman". Ask for the sales or fleet manager. I called around asking two questions: 1. Will you sell a vehicle based on the invoice price? 2. What is it? It'll be several hundreds above or below.
    You're right about being firm on your target. It really simplifies matters, and also knowing exactly what the invoice price is before negotiations begin.

-David
    Right on David. I solicit prices on-line now and don't talk to anyone till I'm sure they'll deal based on invoice. If they're asking more than 2% over invoice I thank them for thier time and tell them I'm going to find a better price, using e-mail only. If they're asking over 3% I tell them they're way off base and route thier further messages to the junk mial folder. The guy I bought my F150 from said "very close to invoice." I called him and bought the one I found in dealer inventory at Ford.com
    let me ask you this...what if you were trying to buy a 2005 mustang?
    Ooo! Good question Bowke! And why would I be trying to buy a car that's not on the market yet? I have'nt checked yet but I don't think there's even a release date yet. My wife bought her '98 Roush mustang in Aug '98, just a couple of weeks befor the current body style hit the market. It's now 6 years old and with the Saleen Speedster top it's still a great looking car. She paid well below invoice.

I remember when the Mazda Miata first hit the market. It was a cute little sports car that the consumers loved. They were selling for 25% OVER MSRP and selling as fast as dealers could get them. Like the $20 Cabbage Patch Kids dolls that were selling for hundreds a few years back.
    These things are worth the money to those who buy them, but EVERYBODY else is thinking these people have no sense of value. They want something and let thier emotion dictate the corse of thier lives. These people are destined to spend thier lives and money in a constant quest for that one next thing that will fulfill them and no price is too great.

If I were trying to buy a '05 Mustang this would be late July or early Aug 2005
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Otherwise known as the "gotstohaveits-now". If you have it, car salesmen can smell it, even over the phone.

-David
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    My short bed trucks work well for my use.

I have not owned a long bed truck since the 1973 chevy I bought new in Phoenix,AZ.

I will wait for the 05 Titans. Hopefully Nissan has got some engineering corrected
    Don't you have a vintage mini truck? (The only Crosley 4 cylinder truck in the world?)

My adversion is to the ultra-short bed Ford Suprecrew (and others) with no more payload or bed volume than your antique 4-cyl mini.

One would assume that Nissan will have worked out many of the concerns for '05 which should be available very soon.

Good Luck and Enjoy
    "gotstohavits-now" If you have it, it OWNS you till you beat it. Beating it is as easy as knowing you really can have it right now, and then walking away. Once you've beaten yourself, you rule the world.
  • 04f150l4x404f150l4x4 Member Posts: 33
    That was just talk. I am committed to F150 that I currently own.

Here are some trucks I have no idea why people purchase:

1. Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    2. Chevrolet Avalanche
    3. Cadillac Escalade EXT

Today I saw someone drive with 22 inch chrome rims on a FORD F150. I almost had a heart attack.
    when you're serious? Asigning identies to vehicles and having little car weddings. Knowing who is 50+ with a ponytail and tye-dyed t-shirt and who has a can of Skoal in the back pocket of his Wranglers by the machine he drives? How do we know if you don't have a Sport-Trac?

I completely agree with your list. It boggles the mind when one wonders why these people didn't buy an SUV
    I'm expecting it to exceed expectations.Nissan did great for the first fullsize truck. I have no doubt the 05 will be better than the 04 model. I just think the Titan will get each following year. It may take it a little while to get the status of the F150. Does Ford have utili-track and spray on bedliner? Nissan standard engine is 5.6 liter. F150 top engine is optional at 5.4 liter.Its crewcab has suv type space in it. Nissan has already set some high expectations for its first fullsize truck. I think Ford is starting to see some real competition for once. I wouldn't really buy a brand new f150. They take some high depreciation hits for the first year.
    "I would'nt really buy a brand new f150. They take some high depreciation hits for the first year." How much do Titans depreciate in the first year?

Don't buy anything you're only keep for one year, or three. Leasing is a lot cheaper. I only kept the GMC 2500HD for three years cuz it was a POS and the warrenty was getting close to expiring. I expect to keep the F150 for 8-10 years.

MY Ford has a spray in liner and IF I wanted it I could make a utili-track for about $60-70. My Ford has steps on the side of the bed and 3 exterior tie downs per side. Does Nissan offer a stepside?

Engine size? I just traded out of an 8.1 and yes I miss the power diference but fuel consumption was part of my motivation for trading. Unlike when I bought the GMC my question this time wasn't is it the most power but, is it enough. Both trucks have about the same tow rating so the question becomes,"Do I want to wait and see if people still have issues with Titan in '05, or do I buy a truck that'll do everything I need flawlessly right now" The GMC was neither.
    Edmunds has a true cost to own for the titan. It looks pretty good for first year depreciation. I didn't know about F150 tie downs. I'm not really a GMC truck person. I was thinking the same thing about waiting on the 05 Titan or just getting the F150. My dad has own nothing but Ford trucks. I like variety in the things I buy. I don't really think I would want an 8.1 in my truck. My truck isn't going to be doing that type of daily work to need an engine this big. I heard complaints from consumers and vehicle critics that the 5.4 liter is underpowered for a truck its size. I am patient I can wait for the 05 Titan. I would rather be sure than sorry.
    "True cost to own" Ford is about 3 percent higher than Titan over 5 years.

Fords 5.4 powered F150 IS slower than the other full sized trucks biggest engines but all except Titan come standard with smaller engines. Just 5 or 6 years ago ALL full sized trucks were slower except Ford Lightning and with it's minimal hualing and towing capacity it really shouldn't be included.

The biggest problem I have getting onto the freeway at a decent speed is the guy in front of me even with the boat in tow.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Yes I own a 1947 Crosley truck, actually I own 5 Crosley vehicles.

THe Nissan truck bed will work well for me. I don't haul plywood, I haul automotive parts and pieces.

I primarily haul automatic trannys, they fit well in the little cage / bed extender on my 01 Super crew F-150 or the Silverado.

The Nissan will easily pull my car trailer and provide plenty of interior room for me and the grand daughters.

A lifted 4x4 truck? In my 20's & 30's I had them, now I want a lower truck so I can load it easily.... LOL
    I couldn't think of anything, that would fit in that little box, that I would'nt carry in an SUV.

Lifted truck? I've got a paralized leg and can't fly. I'm glad they put them little handles in the cab so I can pull myself in. Crawling is so undignified.
    Has anyone notice that MotorTrend picked Ford' F150 and Edmund picked the Titan? Doesn't it get a little confusing when they are on opposite sides. Do you think they conduct different tests? I have notice more vehicle magazines picked the Titan over the F150. What is this saying about the F150? I really wonder about the tests. I prefer consumer reports on vehicles.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Crosley,

Crosley cars, I believe were once sold trough the Sears catalog. Crosley made almost everything, including home appliances, radios and TVs. I have a '39 Crosley two-band AM radio. My ex-brother in-law had a mid-thirties Crosley refrigerator which is still working!

Of course, the old stadium where the REDS played for many years was named after Powell Crosley (Crosley Field) and I had the great pleasure of seeing a REDS game played there in 1970, the last year the REDS played there. They moved to Riverfront later that same year.

And of course, there's Powell's WLW at 700kc "...serving seventeen states and at least two nations."

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    I think Crosley cars were sold as Sears Allstate
    cars or something like that.
    (Digging for my old car bible ! Andre where are you?)

I saw a ad for Crosley a chest freezer and Crosley AC unit in Sundays paper at a local appliance house. Not sure who makes them tho.

I do know White Industries makes Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Sears, Wards, Hotpoint, and a bunch of other private label appliances........
  • derykfderykf Member Posts: 9
    What I got out of Motor Trends' article is they went with Ford because they have been the champ for awhile and the Titan didn't blow the F150 out of the water. Seemed to be pretty even in the testing with the F150 winning some areas and the Titan winning others. I thought the nod should have gone to the Titan because of being about 3 grand less for a vehicle that was at least equal if not better than the F150.
    Do you think Motor Trend was bias? Who do you think is more fair Edmund or Motor Trend? I think Edmund is more fair. They allow consumers to openly agree or disagree with them on their websites. Sometimes the consumer ratings are higher the Edmunds on some vehicles and vice versa. I agree with you about the Titan. Dollar for dollar I would definitely buy this truck. Ford may have the bigger name for fullsize trucks. I think Nissan has the better value right now.
  • quadrunner501quadrunner501 Member Posts: 94
    Ford has the better value right now because of factory incentives. Titan is the better value down the road because of resale.
    factory incentives?

the titan is still aq better value...unless you are talking about the heritage model, which has great incentives...but its not in competition with the titan.
    I got my F150 EX-cab FX4 stepside with every available option for 30.5k MSRP for this truck was 39k+ How much more truck would I have gotten from Nissan?

Bowke?

Give us a price!
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I haven't paid attention to Motor Trend's picks since they made the Chevy Vega and Ford Pinto cars of the year back in the 70's. I think they are heavily swayed by advertiser's $$$.

gots to put more weight with Edmunds reviews.
    I think all the trucks of 04 status have big rebates. That's normal for this time of the year. The Titan is still the better deal. The deal for the Ford was pretty good. Could you get a better deal with a Titan? It just depends if your more loyal to the brand or your money. Dollar for dollar is how I base my decisions on big money items. I'm always trying to get just as much by spending a lot less than anyone.
  • northhounorthhou Member Posts: 6
    After comparing the F150 to the Titan I purchased a Titan. The Ford is nicer inside, and is very quiet on the road...but the Titan's engine won me over. Both engines produce 305 horsepower but the F150 feels very sluggish..maybe the 600 extra pounds. It is 2 seconds slower to 60 mph and doesn't feel powerful. The Titan, well, go drive one. It's pretty quick..almost as quick as the Audi I traded in.
    Sorry. I'm not seeing better value at all. I asked what price YOU would give us, your reading public.

My '04 F150 FX4 with leather captians chairs, "moonroof", back-up sensors, etc, every option, had a MSRP of 39,000, an invoice of 34,500 and I paid 33,500 before the 3,000 rebate. Final OTD price 30,500

Your comparison is 30,700 invoice, 31,700 "TMV" and 34,050 MSRP equiped like mine except Edmunds don't show the sunroof option so lets add $800 for that which would make invoice 31,500.

If you sell me this truck for $1,000 below invoice (30,500) minus the $1500 rebate = 29,000 which is $1500 less than I paid for the Ford. Is that what makes your Titan a better value? Are you selling for $1,000 below invoice? The only Nissan dealer I talked with wanted $1,000 over invoice and seemed pretty convinced that he'd sell them all at that price. (but not to me)
    even adding the sunroof at invoice, my price after rebate is $30000 even...$500 better than yours...however...

you do not have the utility bed system, a value of $900, so i consider that and the sunroof to offset each other.
    When you consider the obvious difference in interion quality, quietness and lack of squeaks and rattles from the dash, doors, seats... the scale tips the other way.

Then on the other hand, Titan's flawless 5spd A/T, lighter weight for better acceleration...

Ford's heavier construction, more solid feel means the doors won't be sagging like a '80's Chevy or Ford.

And back and forth ad infinitum. Then it comes down to personal choice and preference. If you get what you want at a price you agree to then there is no better value.
    That's a good point. I agree with bowke about the price of the Titan. But Ford really does have the fullsize truck reputation.
    i dont disagree at all. my point is that out of the 5 major trucks, the ford and the nissan are closest in capability, utility, and function. the only REAL differences between the trucks is aesthetic and subjective.

therefore, for the analytical buyer, i think the titan would be a better value.
    How about the extra 600 lbs of strength and comfort? Is that subjective?

My reference to sagging doors was about lighter duty chasis hualing heavy loads and not holding up. Ford has been building trucks for almost 100 years. I don't think they added all that steel to the frame to make it slower and use more gas. They did, however, make lighter ones in the past that didn't hold up. We'll see in about 5 years what a Titan's resale velue is after it's been worked hard and put up wet.
    I live around F150 people. My dad is a Ford man. He tells me quite often Nissan is a piece of crap. I just think he wants me to buy an F150. He uses trucks mostly for heavy duty construction. I'll just be using my truck day to day type stuff. His needs are different from my needs of a truck. I'll sacrifice a little luxury for more horsepower. So,I do understand the apples to oranges. I think the Titan and F150 are both nice trucks. The Titan will really have to stand out and prove itself in the long haul like the F150. My plans are to purchase titan le 4by4. I really would like the DVD player without the sunroof.
    I can see your point. You are right.The Titan really has to prove itself. Until it has then it just looks like fade to serious truck buyers.I won't using mine to that type daily work. It will probably be a family vehicle and a hauler at times. It depends on the person's uses for the vehicle. I have not doubt it will hold up for five years and more. I wouldn't try to use it as an F350.It is a light duty full size trucks. So, I really don't think you should hook up any kind of heavy duty construction equipment for the Titan to tow long distances.
    yes. comfort is subjective, and "strength through weight" is a gimmick.

210 lbs. of that weight is using an iron block and heads rather than the nissan's aluminum. is iron more reliable than aluminum? no.

that leaves about 390 lbs left. where is that? the 2" deeper bed must account for at least 50 lbs. of steel.

the front end of the ford is about 3" longer from bumper to cowl. this has to be at least another 250 lbs.

all in all, there is very little "extra" in the strength category where it should be...the frame.

ford's frame, by their own specifications, only weighs 65 lbs. more than the nissan. the other 535 lbs comes from extra "stuff".
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    " is iron more reliable than aluminum? no."

Uh actually it is. What component do you think the majority of engines have been designed of..Therefore, all these years iron has proved reliable. Aluminum engines have just started becoming more widely used in the last decade because the engineering of alloys have improved aluminum blocks integrity, in part allowing them to withstand high stress and heat. In fact, there's a few engines that have been built/tested in all aluminum (by some automakers) that weren't able to tolerate high heat, and caused all massive internal destruction within the engine block. Many dunked in water, just to find them crack from the temperature change.

Iron in this instance, has proved itself.

"the front end of the ford is about 3" longer from bumper to cowl. this has to be at least another 250 lbs.

A few inches here, and there do not account for added weight in a particular section. In fact, some parts of the frame are reinforced with thicker gauge steel where some of the added weight has gone to. This to improve crashworthiness, as well as towing and overall solidity of drivability.

" more than the nissan. the other 535 lbs comes from extra "stuff"."

Insulation, which is why the F-150 is quieter. Thicker windows, which adds to interior quietness as well. The seats receive their own special noise absorbing materials which makes them weigh a bit more. Quietsteel used in the dash, for quietness as well. Special firewall crossmembers which allow for tighter handling,(which is why it handles well) and to dispurse side force impact energy to the opposite side, this too has added weight. The A/C system was beefed up from earlier versions, which added to a bit more weight.
    Etc.etc.
    "Special firewall crossmembers which allow for tighter handling,(which is why it handles well) and to dispurse side force impact energy to the opposite side, this too has added weight."

i guess this is useful, since they dont offer side airbags/curtains.

also, iron blocks crack from extreme temp. changes too. i did it to an old car of mine about 12 years ago.

aluminum is lighter, conducts heat more evenly due to less air pockets than cast iron, therefore, cools more evenly.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    As I stated, the full advantages or dissadvantages of aluminum have yet to be explored. This isn't a category where people are willing to be guinea pigs (as some Titan owner's are experiencing quality issues), so rather stick to proven items. And with the severe use many Ford owner's usually place their F-150's through, it's not a wise decision at this time.
    "the full advantages or dissadvantages of aluminum have yet to be explored."

in what universe???

aluminum heads have been used for decades, and blocks for almost as long.

the only reason they werent used widely 50 years ago is because of the cost and metallurgical technology.

so what you are saying is that you would rather have 120 year old technology under the hood than 5 year old technology?
This discussion has been closed.