Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    Gee ! My F150 don't hual nearly as big a load of crap as yours.

Reviews about racing a truck with a load? Ford has a higher tow rating? Slower 0-60 and slower stopping. Yeah, It'll tow 9800 but it's a good thing it won't do it fast or you might not be able to stop in time.

Bed liner as an incentive? I got $8700 but had to buy my own bed liner. I still could have gotten the Titan a little cheaper.

The Titan is a great first effort from Nissan. Unlike Toyota's...er...truck, it's a true full sized truck comparable to EVERY half ton truck on the market. Why didn't I buy one instead of my FX4 step-side ex-cab (yuppie truck)? 1. I didn't like the way it steers. 2. I hate the looks. 3. The interrior isn't as comfortable as the leather captians chairs in my Ford. 4 Too many squeaks and rattles

I'm not going to tow 9800 lbs and if I was I'd have kept my '01 GMC 2500 HD with great 0-60 time towing my 7700 lb boat.
  • No I am not. I am referring to the F150 and I do not own a F250, manly man. Also, Ford has been building trucks for years. The media for some reason is rating a first year truck above the FORD, DODGE, GMC and CHEVY. The people who review vehicals are out of touch. When people drive around a see a Titan it ain't wow, but a look of pity on what type of person would spend their money on such a vehical (Looks like a Honda
    Element).
  • Agree on the height requirement for the F150.

MY F150 LENGTH (5 inches longer compared to TITAN)
    Length (in.) 229.8

NISSAN TITAN LENGTH
    Length (in.) 224.2

MY F150 BED LENGTH

NISSAN TITAN BED LENGTH

I do not think it is an inch longer. Anyway FORD just installed a 6 inch lift and Borla Exhaust so 5'4" would not do you any good.

My view, the Titan is a too small of truck for myself. But I always supported FORD and the name (CHEVY, DODGE, GMC, ect). Never standdown on American values.
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    yous funny...godd ol' American values!!! Where are many Ford's made? How about Dodge? The Titan is more American than any other full size half ton!!

"never stand down on American values???!!! Too bad all your big bad corporations could care less about America. They keep on outsourcing your jobs and importing all the parts so eventually all you patriotic people will be working at McD's, that great american success (fat) story. Ya, keeping on buying american!
  • Noticed your flag. Enough said. America's is all about outsourcing to uneducated countries that need some money. I not hurting due to outsourcing, thats how I keep my R.O.I. I just want to say thanks manly man and stay in your box if you want to play with a Super Power. I am glad to you are a trusted employee of McD's.

Last note: The Topic is Titan vs F150.

"Don't get me wrong, your a great guy, your just not good enough for me"
    "You can look, you can wish all you want"
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    thats enough people-bashing.

the titan was designed in california, and is built ONLY in mississippi. the ford is built in canada, mexico, virginia, and missouri.

so the only measurement you could come up with that the f150 is larger is the overall length?

i wouldnt brag about that. the approach and departure angles are lower because of that.

also, the ride height of the nissan 2wd is the same as the 4wd. with the ford, you have to ride like a car in the 2wd.
  • The "Tundra isn't a full size truck" argument was something that could be legitimately stated because in every measure of every category, it was overmatched by a wide margin.

The Titan is about as big as the others in every measure within a fraction, at least. Even Toyota admitted this when they redressed the Tundra Double Cab, which is even bigger.

When we used to banter about Tundra not being full sized around here, it was because that was fact. And the Tundra owners knew it, but denied it anyway, making them look stupid.

That's changed. It's pointless, futile and moot to argue that now. And it makes a Ford owner look stupid to do the same.

It's also pointless to argue about what's American made, and what's not. Domestic content labeling has blurred the distinction, where it's not a matter of if, but how much foreign content?

The only salient point about domestic manufacturing comes down to union made versus non-union, and what your take on that is.

But my $0.02 as a domestic owner of Chevrolets, GM and Ford is that union scale is what hinders American made product quality and value. For Detroit to make a profit when they pay higher union wage scale, they have to cut corners and cheap-out on the quality.
    great point...

part of the issue there is the fact that a non-union worker has to actually work to keep their job. a union worker can slack off and not worry about it. what are you going to do...fire him? yeah...and guido and nick will bust your shins if you do.
  • Henry Ford invented the moving production line upon which cars where assembled. That begot the heavy capital infrastructure that rooted factories to bedrock. So if a union says, "I strike," they have a lot of power within that system, because the factory cannot pull up stakes and leave.

The Japanese changed all that with smaller manufacturing cells, and automated robotic assembly. A factory built like that can pull up its roots and move to a location where the labor is more friendly and motivated.

Unions need the assmebly lines and massive infrastructure to retain their grip on power.

Unions were established to protect the safety and working conditions of the American worker, but those factors are now guaranteed already by labor laws and OSHA. They retain their power because the large US automakers still depend on an antiquated manufacturing infrastructure, due to their large scale. Notice how US automaker quality makes gains as market share slips, and you begin to understand the balance
  • mnmatchesmnmatches Posts: 111
    HAHAHAHALOL
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    Typical answer - see the flag and make a comment that that expains it. oh well, some things never change.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    >>>Henry Ford invented the moving production line upon which cars where assembled.<<<

The sentence above is somewhat ambiguious. If stated to imply that Henry was the first major to utilize "assembly-line" manufacturing processes for making automobiles, then I believe that is correct. However, the first documented use of full assembly-line manufacturing was incorporated by the American firearms industry in the mid-19th century.

>>>...union scale is what hinders American made product quality and value...<<<

I could be incorrect, but isn't the Mississippi plant where the Titan is made a union shop?

Dusty
  • I agree, enough people-bashing. I should have ignored manly man from up north. Sometimes the clueless must be educated.

Anyway, according to this topic FORD vs Titan. IMO with the other buyers who bought Ford believe thier truck is the right choice. This is a no win situation on trying to persuade us otherwise. So this topic is a dead horse.

Dream on if you think the ride height NISSAN 2WD is the same of the FORD 4WD. I was on the at the stoplight the other day looking down at the NISSAN 4WD.

Son, we live in a world that has mountain trails and those trails need to be driven by men with FORD F150&#146;s. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Mr. Nissan Titan, Manly man owner? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep when a Ford F150 is next to you and curse when your Nissan Titan gets called names; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that an owner of a Ford F150, while tragic, probably is a better truck and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, is a better truck. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at Nissan Titan yuppie parties you want me driving that F150, you need me on in that F150. We use words like what a sucker in that Nissan Truck, why did my wife make me buy that Nissan Truck, why am I disloyal American. We use then as the backbone of your life trying to run your manly man Nissan Titan off the road. You use them as a why I being a sucker. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide in my Ford F150 and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on whimper way. Otherwise, I suggest that you trade that Titan and buy a Ford F150. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
    "Son, we live in a world that has mountian trails and those trails need to be driven by men with FORD F150's"

I've never seen a full sized truck on the mountian trails I drive my '47 CJ2 on. I use my '04 F150 FX4 Ex-Cab to tow the Jeep but I'm aware that ALL other full sized trucks would get it there faster ! Ford is dead last in a race up the hill with a load.

Yuppie Truck ? My F150 with power moonroof and sliding rear window, 300 watt 7 speaker"Audiophile" sound system, leather captian's chairs, 18" machined aluminum wheels, step side short box and chorme side steps would only be less "manly" by some people's standards if it came with matching purse and shoes, but it gets my toys where they need to be.
  • mcscjtmcscjt Posts: 17
    "04f150l4x4" seems to think he is the only loyal American in the country.

Old man...I live in Norfolk, VA. Home of the U.S. Navy. Home of the Ford 150 plant. I spent many years fixing up our seamen at the U.S. Naval Medical Center here and now treat many of the workers at the Ford plant. So tell me how you provide a "blanket of freedom" by driving your F150 up moutain trails.

The Nissan dealer here is among the top 5 in sales in the country. I've been told that 3 out of 5 of their sales are to U.S. military families.

Plus, you already know that the Titan is built in MS. The 05 PF, Xterra, and Frontier are all being built in TN. Last time I checked, they were still States. Do you think the workers at those plants are disloyal because they are grateful to Nissan for giving them an opportunity?

By the way, "kg11" is right. The F150 can be just as luxurious as BMW.
  • Dusty,
    I don't know if MISS is a union shop or not. The Titan I looked at had a domestic content label that said 60% USA including engine, 20% Japan including transmission. It went on to say that Nissan employs 12,000+ workers directly, and supports another 60,000 indirectly at dealerships.

My take on that reading, is it would have been simpler to say, "proudly built in USA by UAW workers," (if they could).

John Moses Browning had his firearms built in Belgium.

You dial 911...I dial M1911A1...(Lol)
  • Right. You must have a 04 Titan and 04 FORD F150 based on your other discussion rooms. GMC and also a Tundra. This is the first room I see you owning 04 F150 FX4 Ex-Cab, then blasting its performace with 300HP. I never had a problem going the speed limit up hill with a load. You got issues.

Racing a load up a hill......Very smart dude.

"The chief business of the American people is business."
  • There are many loyal Americans that drive (FORD,DODGE,CHEVY,GMC...), but I disagree with your numbers and some statements.

1. San Diego is the Home of the U.S. Navy.
    2. In San Diego you go military base either Marine and Navy, the majority number of vehicals are Trucks (FORDS, CHEVY , GMC and DODGE) Also military government trucks are FORD, CHEVY and DODGE 4X4. Military wives are driving FORD EXPLORERS, EXPEDITIONS, and EXCURSIONS.
    3. As one my Texan friends would say when a Toyota and Nissan Trucks would drive by "Now that ain't right" while he spits some chewing tobacco from his mouth.
    4. I didn't say the people in TN or MS are disloyal in building those cars. In fact they should export them back to Japan. Also, who in there right mind would drive an Xterra.

"Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    As intersting as the geopolitical stuff might be, let's stick to the trucks. And PLEASE let's not let this fall into the trap of talking about each other instead of the vehicles.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I traded my '01 GMC 2500 HD (Got 19200) three weeks ago as stated in earlier posts. The F150 now has 1100 mi on it. The reason I did'nt buy a Titan is I don't like the way it drives and hate the way it looks as stated earlier. I've never said there's anything wrong with them. I test drove a Tundra when they first came out and have always blasted thier "full sized" claims in these pages, but never thier quality or percieved patriotic value.

As for my new Ford's 300hp I gotta tell you, it's pathetic compared to the GMC 8.1's 340hp and 455 lb/ft of torque. The GMC pulled my ski boat up the 8% grade section of hwy 168 near Fresno at 65. 300hp is great compared to the privious 5.4's 265 but everybody else has AT LEAST 300 in lighter trucks. On the other hand it's more comfortable and gets 14 mpg /city compared to the GMC's 8 or less.

BTW "Racing a load up a hill..."? You brought up loaded performence but appearantly have nothing to offer on the subject other than how Un-American your neighbors are for buying a Cheaper truck that performs better. As I mentioned in the "Ford Lightning vs. Dodge SRT 10" topic,"If I was shopping for a performance vehicle it would have to be something that out accelerates and out manuvers my wife's Roush Mustang"

Yuppie Truck? 20 years ago I was a Yuppie. Now I'm a rich old white guy. Yuppies don't buy cheaper vehicles that perform better or there would be no Volvo. We buy style and comfort and yes, percieved image too.

A final note; I've been posting here for about 4 years and my opinions and claims of ownership have not changed for the 3+ years I owned the GMC. A few years ago there was a Tundra zealot or two and dozens of us domestic owners taking jabs at each other. Our host warned people repeatedly and shut down good relavent topics because people wouldn't quit making personal attacks. Only a few of us didn't get banned from these pages for our personal statements to this poor misguided soul that thought his Tundra was a truck. I'm wondering how long you'll be here if all you have to offer is insults of "traiter"to those who drive something different and accusations of "liar" to those who do own an F150 but don't get an erection every time they drive it.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    You DID go to the "darkside" ! Traded your GMC for a *ford* huh? I was wondering from your posts if you did !
    Thats cool.............enjoy !

BTW: I traded my 01 2500 x-cab 4x4 for another 04 2500 Chevy recently.........
    I never really "needed" the 3/4 ton with the 8.1 but in '01 the F150 had no room in back for my 6' tall sons and the 5.4 felt pretty weak compared to the massive enging th the 2500. After replacing the Allison trans twice in the first 6 months the truck lost it's appeal. It served me well enough but I only used it's hualing capacity a few times a year. It was 3 1/2 years old and I was ready for something new.

BTW "Ford" is spelled with a CAPITAL :)
    Did you go with the Duramax?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I just looked at the window invoice of my '03 Dakota and it does not mention being built by UAW workers, either. However, I understand your point. I'm pretty sure the Symrna, Tennesee plant is unionized -- or was -- when I bought my '93 Sentra, that's why I questioned the original comment.

Yes, I agree emphatically with the reliance on M1911A1 rather than 911. Especially since I've seen the 911 response fail. Intertestingly, my son has just returned from Iraq where, in his particular role must carry a sidearm -- he sports a 92M. Since I at one time owned one of those, too, I couldn't help but wish he still could have access to a 1911. It would make me feel better, anyway!

Bests,
    Dusty
    no. no american nissan factories, either assembly or component, are union shops.
  • The redesigned Ford F-150 earned the top spot as the most popular pickup with shoppers on MSN Autos for the second quarter of 2004. The F-150 was also the fifth most popular vehicle overall for the same time period.
    The Toyota Tacoma, a consistently popular compact pickup, was second with shoppers for the second quarter of the year. A sporty truck with nostalgic styling, the all-new Chevrolet SSR was third on the list.

The list of the ten most popular pickups on MSN Autos is based on visits to the site's vehicle research pages during the second quarter, April through June, of the year. Here is the complete list:

1. Ford F-150
    Ford's half-ton pickup line is redesigned for 2004 with a stronger, bolder look and five distinct versions: XL, STX, XLT, FX4 and Lariat, each with unique styling. Regular Cab and SuperCab versions are six inches longer and the Regular Cab adds rear-hinged panels to access behind-seat storage. The complete F-Series line has been the best-selling truck in America for 26 straight years and the best-selling vehicle overall for 21 years.

2. Toyota Tacoma
    The Tacoma is in its sixth generation and is now available in Regular Cab, extended Xtracab and 4-door Double Cab configurations. For 2004 Vehicle Stability Control is available as an option on PreRunner and 4-wheel-drive trims with V6 engines. The current Tacoma was designed in the U.S. and is built in the New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. factory in Fremont, Calif.

3. Chevrolet SSR
    The SSR is a sporty two-seat pickup that takes its styling cues from Chevrolet trucks of the 1940s, but includes a thoroughly modern power-retractable hardtop for open-air driving. Powered by a 300-horsepower version of the legendary small-block Chevy V8, the SSR design features large flared fenders and a wide stance, punctuated by 19-inch wheels and tires at the front and 20-inch meats at the rear.

4. Ford Ranger
    Another popular compact truck with MSN shoppers, the Ranger's updates for 2004 include a raised power dome hood, a nostril grille with horizontal bars on 2WD trims, a honeycomb grille on 4WD trims, a new front valance, a rally gauge cluster, and Ford-style steering wheel.

5. Dodge Ram 1500
    The Ram 1500 was redesigned with bolder, distinctive Dodge styling for 2002, and the famous HEMI name returned to the line late in 2003 with the 345-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI Magnum engine. For 2004 the Laramie adds a chrome grille surround, a chrome billet grille center, chrome moldings, silver interior trim, and a unique leather seat design with contrasting colors.

6. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    The Silverado replaced Chevrolet's C/K pickup line with all-new styling for 1999. For 2004 a new half-ton 1500 Crew Cab is added. All Silverado 1500 trims now include cruise control, power door locks, a chrome bumper and an AM/FM/CD audio system.

7. Chevrolet Colorado
    The Colorado is Chevrolet's all-new midsize pickup that replaces the S-10 for 2004. The Colorado is larger and stronger than the S-10 and offers Regular Cab, Extended Cab and Crew Cab versions. Power comes from two new engines: the Vortec 2800 inline 4-cylinder and the Vortec 3500 inline 5-cylinder, both derived from the Vortec 4200 inline 6-cylinder.

8. Dodge Dakota
    The midsize Dakota continues to be popular, with a Stampede package offered for 2004 including monochromatic front and rear fascia moldings, ground-effect side moldings, 16-inch aluminum wheels, wheel flares and a rear stabilizer bar. The new 2005 Dakota is due this fall with a bigger, bolder look, following the design direction of the Ram.

9. Toyota Tundra
    Toyota's full-size Tundra received updated styling for 2003 and the Stepside Access Cab was added. The Tundra Double Cab debuts for 2004. This year Toyota focused on rear-seat comfort&#151;a rear-seat DVD entertainment system is offered. The Tundra Double Cab features one of the longest beds available for a double cab half-ton truck.

10. Nissan Titan
    The first full-size pickup from Nissan, the 2004 Titan offers a fresh alternative in the category. Titan features bold styling with available King Cab and Crew Cab trims, powered by a 305-horsepower 5.6-liter V8 with a 5-speed automatic transmission. A unique feature is a factory-installed Utili-track tie-down system in the bed. The Titan was conceived, developed and engineered primarily in North America and is produced at Nissan's new facility in Canton, Mississippi.
  • 2004 FORD F-150 WINS &#145;TRUCK INTERIOR OF THE YEAR&#146;

FORD MOTOR COMPANY PRESS RELEASE

DEARBORN, Mich., May 19 &#150; The 2004 Ford F-150 truck today captured another major honor &#150; &#147;Truck Interior of the Year&#148; at the Auto Interiors Show in Detroit.

&#147;This is a fantastic honor for our design team,&#148; said Pat Schiavone, design director, Ford North American Truck. &#147;Our designers spent months listening to customers and pouring over research to give truck owners the comfort, craftsmanship, versatility and features they want and deserve.&#148;

More than 5,400 automotive industry executives selected the Ford F-150 to win the award based on its overall interior design, functionality and vehicle innovation. Other finalists in the truck competition included the BMW X3, Chevrolet SSR, Dodge Durango Limited, and the Nissan Armada. The Auto Interiors Show held at Cobo Conference Center is the largest industry event in the world dedicated exclusively to car and truck interiors.

Today's award brings to 30 the number of awards the Ford F-150 has received since its introduction, including the 2004 North American, Motor Trend and Texas Auto Writers &#147;Truck of the Year&#148; plus Car and Driver Magazine 2004 Five Best Trucks - Best Pickup.

Since the launch of the new F-150 last September, Ford has posted eight consecutive months of F-Series sales increases. For more than 55 years, F-Series has delivered on its Built Ford Tough heritage. F-Series has been America&#146;s best-selling truck for 27 years and the country&#146;s best-selling vehicle for 22 years in a row.
    That's a big part of what sold me on the Ford this time. Until the '04 model the F150 interior couldn't touch GM. There wasn't any more leg room in back of the supercrew than my ex-cab GMC which was the most comfortable by far IMO

Now Ford's got it right and I love the rack and pinion steering...now if we can just get them to stuff more ponies under the hood.

Actually I've heard they're offering a 6.2L V8 for 2006. I just couldn't wait another year (or more)
    all that was for is how many hits that link got. being the best selling vehicle in history, i would hope it can out-hit the chevy SSR.
  • Only time can tell. If Nissan Titan is still drivable in 20 years, then it can be called a good truck, but right now some people are running around praising No. 1 just like No. 1 draft pick Ryan Leaf S.D CHARGER QB?

"You only have to do a very few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong."
    ~ Warren Buffett
    So you're saying the F150 is like Ryan Leaf?

Seems more realistic to compare Titan to Ryan. Highly praised for his ability when he had no history.

Ford has had the most popular truck for quite a few years.

"Only time can tell. If Nissan Titan is still drivable in 20 years..." A lot of people are praising the unproven Titan like the unproven Ryan Leaf.
This discussion has been closed.