Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    "Patricularly if you keep your car forever."

granted...but what about the other 98% of the car-buying public?

they cant even THINK of getting out until around 5-5 1/2 years, especially with ford and GM products.

people were convinced after 9/11 that the 0% boom would erradicate negative equity, but its become even more of an epidemic since then. 72 month financing is the WAY wrong answer.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    NV,

If you're like me and keep vehicles for ten years then I agree with you. If, however, you are prone to trade in the third or fourth years and have financed with nothing down, you will likely be upside down with respect to resale value, meaning the resale value will often times be less than what you owe. This effect varies, of course, depending on the vehicle.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • I am considering both the Titan and F150 Lariat. Would like to know if anyone might have the date for the '05 Titan's to hit the dealer. I understand there are some improvements on the '05 and that some of the quality control issues Nissan has had have been addressed. Love the Ford interior, but really enjoy driving the Titan.
    noone knows of any product changes, but quality changes are constant. 2005s should begin arriving in about 3-5 weeks.
  • Will the deals be better for the 04s once the 05s hit the lots? When exactly did they start making these quality changes? What's the earliest date on 04 you should buy to match the quality changes? Is it true that some dealers are promoting no payments until sometime next year? Is that a ripoff or what?
    "Will the deals be better for the 04s once the 05s hit the lots?"

well, invoice prices wont change, and rebates are not scheduled to change either, so your deal is up to you.

"When exactly did they start making these quality changes?"

thats like asking "when will we win the war?"

they are always making changes. there is no set VIN # that determines one build to another.

"What's the earliest date on 04 you should buy to match the quality changes?"

see my last answer.

"Is it true that some dealers are promoting no payments until sometime next year?"

thats a dealer thing. its probably legit, but you still accrue interest in the meantime.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I get that, Dusty. I'm just saying, from a consumer point of view, this is the cheapest way to finance a new truck there is. Of course, there are some stipulations, you keep it for the full term, is one of them.
  • Are the 05s going to be priced higher than the 04s? Do you think it would be better to wait for the 05s because of the quality issues with the 04s?
    i dont think there will be a defined line where quality is improved. its a gradual thing. i would recommend grabbing a late-production '04 and taking the incentives.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    With an extended warranty and some rosary beads...
  • haironghairong Posts: 153
    i dont think there will be a defined line where quality is improved. its a gradual thing. i would recommend grabbing a late-production '04 and taking the incentives.

Definitely DO NOT buy Titans that were built in or before May, '04, if you are concerned about initial qualities. Nissan sent in the "S.W.A.T." team in May.

Ghosn is fixing the Canton debacle in his characteristic fashion -- that is, with the subtlety of a chain saw. In May, he flew in 220 engineers from Japan and Nissan's older Smyrna (Tenn.) plant. The damage-control team searched every inch of the assembly line for flaws. Some were obvious: Factory hands, many of them newcomers to carmaking, wore rings and studded jeans that scratched freshly painted trucks. Other glitches were maddening: Power window switches and reading lights on the Quest often seemed possessed by gremlins, and its sliding doors didn't close quite right. So the team worked with suppliers to reengineer parts, while robots were reprogrammed to weld car bodies more tightly, and better insulation was added to the roof of the Armada. Then Ghosn shook up management, even raiding archrival Toyota to hire troubleshooter Douglas G. Betts as his new vice-president for assembly quality. As the 2005 Nissans enter dealerships this fall, buyers will learn firsthand whether Ghosn's personal intervention has paid off.

I would wait for '05 models if I were you.

Read the whole article here:

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_40/b3902012.htm
  • That was a pretty interesting article. This guy Ghosn's seems to be making plans to improve the vehicles. The 2005 models should be here in another 3 to 5 weeks. Ford rebates look mighty tempting to me. I do want a Titan. I risk losing out on the rebate by waiting for the 05. The latest 04 could be just fine. I could end up spending extra money on 05s for no real reason.
  • even if this promo does hit the dealer floor, it usually works out in the dealer's favor in exchange for dealer discount. I don't think you're going to get $10k off MRSP and the free loan for 72 months.

I'm guessing most people will not do the math to see what the savings would be for 72 months of no interest on $20 - $30k. you can be sure the dealer knows what the trade off is and will be eager to give you a zero point loan in exchange for a dealer discount.

If you can get the 0% loan on top of all the discounts then more power to you.
    the 0% loans have nothing to do with dealer discounts. they do, however, wipe out all MANUFACTURER rebates and cash.

it still works out better to take the rate in all cases except the freestar and explorer.
  • The way I figure, it is better to take the $3000 rebate + $ 1500 bonus cash for an F-150. If you take the FMCC financing for 3 months (to get the $1500 bonus cash), then refinance at 5% for 60 months, you will end up paying about $3500 in interest. That puts you $1000 ahead. The advantage with 0% is spreading the loan over a longer period with lower payments. In any case, it's all a marketing game that all ends up close to the same in the end. Also, my heart still yearns for the Titan, so what is that worth?
  • I have seen recently on a titan forum there is a 100 day plus supply of titans, armadas and Qs sitting on the lots. Better rebates ARE coming !

Good things come to those who wait.............
    Gee, I don't think Ford has that many F-series trucks hanging around on the dirt unowned, do they?
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    Hey Boomer! You gonna wait till they make one with windows that work?

kip
    I drove a Dodge Ram last night for kicks. It was an ok ride, but the Ford, Titan and the GM pickups are all more fun to drive, IMO.
  • I have seen some traded on Nissan and Doge lots.
  • Well, you could wait till bigger rebates kick in on the Titan. Get what you are going to be happy with and enjoy it.Money makes F150 look the most tempting between the Titan and F150.
  • I came very very close to purchasing an F-150 a week ago at an unbelievable deal, but then I went and drove the Titan. The Titan drivetrain is superior to the F-150. The prices on Ford sure are tempting, but I'd be settling for second best (in my opinion). However, all the chatter about Titan's lack of build quality has me concerned. I'm still undecided and thoroughly confused. I guess I'll find out about any additional rebates because I'm going to consider these trucks for another week, at least.
    build quality concerns are easily dealt with. all you have to do is look over the truck closely, and look for parts that arent symmetrical.

ie:

the gap between the fenders and the hood. are the gaps different sizes or the same?

does the trim around the headliner look even?

look closely at the paint.
  • Aren't the service people suppose to notice these differences before it gets to the consumer? I'm waiting for bigger rebates to make it worth the risk. Do you think the rebates will ever get as big as Ford's rebates? These gas prices have gotten me a little concern about buying trucks such as the F150 and the Titan. October seems like a good month to buy older models before the newer ones hit the markets. Is it true about the 100 day supply of Titans still sitting on the lot?
    "Is it true about the 100 day supply of Titans still sitting on the lot?"

well, we sell about 10 a month and have 34 in stock...so yeah...about 100 days. normal inventory in the new car biz is 90 days, so the 100 day thing isnt outrageous.
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Posts: 165
    Will their be bigger rebates because of the 100 day supply? Or will it just stay the same? The 2005 Titan should be here by at least the end of October. Do you think it will have the same problems as the 04?
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    If you are worried about the build quality, check the manufacture date and buy one made lately. There are MANY (contrary to what ANT says) MANY Titans that have no quality problems. The main problem was the radio that was fixed after 6/04/04 build dates.

Also, the new F-150 ALSO has many issues so don't be scared about build quality. I have had my Titan for 6 months with the radio being the only real issue.
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Posts: 165
    What's the big deal picking on the people from Canton? This is a first year plant producing five different new vehicles. F150 is a really good truck built by some experience crews. It should have the highest dependability rating. The Nissan Titan will be the best truck by people in the state of Mississippi. Nissan Titan will have that rating of highest dependability soon enough. Ford should just enjoy the moment while it can before the Titan takes over. The 2005 Titan will surely will make a big splash in dependability so Ford truck people should be concerned about a change of the guard.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    People are quick to judge negatively when it's a vehicle from a domestic manufacturer that's experience problems. They perceive (as you displayed) that because it's foreign, it'll be better, or it'll be the best.

If Ford would have had the same issues the Titan is having, the headlines would read "The world is ending, they did it wrong, company goes bankrupt because of quality issues".

So instead of misguiding people and saying all is perfect, and sweeping it under the carpet as many wish to do. Best to show factual information and warn them, before making their purchase based upon "perceived" notions.
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    "Nissan Titan will have that rating of highest dependability soon enough." Sounds like the claim of a Tundra fan. Oblivious to reality. Right now Titan is nowhere near that rating. Like Titan, the F150 is an all new vehicle, however; F150 enjoys the top rating while Titan...Man, I really think my brakes should work and I really like my windows to roll up. It's a nice truck but can they make one that WORKS?
This discussion has been closed.