Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    My brother's '69 Ford 302 only had about 85k mi on it when the timing chain and gears wore out enough to break teeth on a gear. My '67 Ford 289 did the same thing at about the same milage.

Does the Titan's chain use a tensionor? If not there's probably no advantage. Do the timing gears have a coating on them to quiet the chain?

That was what wore out and caused gear failure on my brother's '69 Fairlane. My '67 Ford 289 was an earlier version of the same engine and had no coating. The 302 (5.0L) was discontinued about 30 years later and in the '80's and '90's they lasted well over 100k for many owners so appearently they got it right.

The '04 F150 FX4 I picked up yesterday is the fitst Ford I've owned in many years and I consider replacing the belt @ 90k insignificant maintnance.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    your kidding, right???

dude, its 2004. the difference from 1967-2004 in technology is like the difference from a horse-drawn carriage to the '67 ford.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    Ford is using timing belts???
    Are you sure?
    Which engine - 4.6L or 5.4L???
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Kg,

I know very little about the Nissan 5.7 motor but if it has a timing chain I would bet that it has a tensioner. Unlike other companies representing an Asian automotive mentality, Nissan in the past has bucked the trend and used chains instead of belts.

Yes, some contemporary designs use a coated gear just like they did in the sixties, along with a resilented chain (Morse-link). The designs are identical but the material selection has advanced. Some manufacturers use a uncoated roller chain instead of a Morse-link which increases the strength and the longevity of the components.

I didn't think the Triton motors used timing belts.

Dusty
    I appreciate people sharing thier knowledge without having to be an expert on everything. You don't have to know a lot about Nissan's 5.7, it's probably a safe bet that they use a tensioner.

The advancement of materials was part of the point I was trying to make. The Ford 5.0 was introduced in '68 and only had minor changes in it's 30 year production run, yet it only had timing chain problems for 3-4 years.

Bowke:Do you know anything about horse drawn buggies? I've had a couple of them too.

Most engines with timing belts don't suffer catastrophic damage when the belt breaks or slipps. Those that do,often called interferance engines, have valves that, when open, occupy the same space that the piston does at the top of it's stroke. These are mostly high performence 4 cyl engines.

It seems unlikely to me that Ford V8's have belts or are "interference" engines, though I must confess I really don't know

I wonder how many Nissan V8's there are out there with more than 100k mi on them?

kg
    I just finished reading my "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" and the only mention of timing belt replacement is for the 4 cyl Escape in the "Trucks Full Sized Vans and SUV" section.

I don't remember who posted that the F150 has a timing belt but the Ford Motor Company doesn't think it does.

kg
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    you're right -

the '04 F150 maint. schedule recommends changing the "accessory belts" at 150,000 miles.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    Been searching the gates.com application site.
    Most newer OHC Ford V-8s indeed use timing belts as does Toyota 8s.
    NO listing for Nissans OHC 8...But its too new anyway. Site doesn't even show drive belts either. So really don't know for sure.
    The only OHC V-8 that I know of that uses chains is the Cadillac Northstar.
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    The Nissan engine is 5.6 litre. The 5.6 has a timing chain as the valve train is "32 valve;silent chain, single stage."

I had a Frontier that had to have the belt changes at 100,000kms and it was expensive to change. It was a 6 cylinder engine.

My '93 pathfinder also had a 6 cyl. and needed the belt changed (also expensive). Other pathfinder owners didn't change and lost engines.

I have no idea if the F-150 is a belt or chain, but I prefer a chain.
    My bud has a Pathy and loves it. He has the 6 and had both timing belts replaced at around 90k or so. The dealer recommended changing water pump, coolant and drive belts while it was apart......Almost $1000 bucks.........YIKES!
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    All versions for both of these motors use a timming chain.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Thursday Chats!

You can hang out and chat with your fellow Town Hall enthusiasts for TWO hours on Thursdays now... First up from 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET we have the brand new Saab Enthusiast Chat. Stop in to meet and greet fellow Saab enthusiasts and your fellow Town Hall denizens and take your favorite automotive topics LIVE in our chat room.

Saab Chat Room

Then immediately following...

Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Join the Subaru Crew every Thursday evening for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. The chat room opens about 15 minutes before the scheduled start time, so stop on in, even if it's just to say Hello! All things Subaru is the general theme, but anything automotive is fair game too. Come on in and get to know some of your fellow Town Hallies better! See you there...

Subaru Crew Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Me bad !!!!!! You are correct.
    Just checked the Gates site..........
  • I just sold to a friend of mine, my 2001 F-150 SC with the 5.4L V8. The truck had 50,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. I had gone to several dealerships to buy a new FX4 F-150 SC, but none of the Ford dealerships wanted to give me anywhere near what my trade was worth then my friend wanted to buy it so I sold it to him for $15,400.00. He called me today, right at 2 weeks since he bought it and the transmission is out.

I went back to the dealerships to buy the FX4, and at the Ford place I usually do business with, we were $800 off of a deal. So my wife and I went to get a drink and discuss things and drove by a Nissan dealership. We stopped and drove the Titan 4x4 SE that had it all but the DVD player and I really liked everything about the truck, but I was a Ford guy.

Anyway, the deal offered to me was $200 over invoice so they kept their hold back + $200 and I got the Nissan Titan.

I've been very happy with the truck, and while I've only owned it for a couple of weeks now, I haven't found anything that I haven't liked about it. I have a little "junk in my trunk" and would like a little more hip room, but other than that, it's all cool. It pulls my boat like it doesn't know it's behind me and I really like the clearance height of the truck, and the head room.

I'm going to pay for half of the cost of repair or replacement for the transmission in my Ford as I don't want to lose a friend over something like this, but a transmission should last longer than 50K miles, especially one that is well maintained as mine was.

My last truck was a Toyota extended cab 4x4 with the 4 cyl. It has 150k miles on it, never spent a dime on it other than regular maintenance and my son is driving it today.

I just don't have much faith in the big 3 auto makers here at home right now.

In any case all I can say is to drive them both and decide. But pity the man who buys a vehicle just because it has a certain name on it.

Buy the one you like the most.

TH
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    It's too bad that you have lost faith in american made trucks. Your Titan was designed in California and built in Mississippi.
  • 1. Titan:
    0-to-60-mph time of 7.7 second. Titan got off the line faster than every other truck in the test.

Response:
    Who cares, I did not buy a Truck to race. Always like to see reviews about racing a truck with a load. Ford has a higher Tow Rating, but what do you expect.

2. Titan:
    Nissan is right there in both areas while trumping the Ram and F-150 with cool features like a spray-in bedliner, doors that open 180 degrees (on the extended cab), available side airbags and excellent interior (and exterior) storage compartments.

Response:
    Ford Dealership offer the same choice or a bed liner as an incentive. No cost. Dodge and Ford interior is hands down better that the Titan. What are the reviews thinking. The Titan Exterior bed is small. I am talking about the 6.5 to 8 ft truck beds which Titan does not offer.

Personnal Note: If you want a good size Truck buy a Ford or Dodge. If the you need lots of cargo room e.i. a exterior compartment drawer on the side of the bed, buy a Van/SUV/TITAN. Believe me the Titan next to my truck looks like a little Tonka (Yuppie)Truck;please do not get your hands dirty manly man. And this is a fact.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    "Its 0-to-60-mph time of 7.7 seconds was a full half second ahead of the second-place Dodge, and when it was loaded down with a 6,000-pound trailer and three passengers, it extended its lead over the Ram to nearly three seconds (16.8 vs. 19.5).

When the Ford was saddled with a trailer and three passengers, it took 20.2 seconds to hit 60, nearly 3.5 seconds slower than the Titan (16.8). The F-150 also turned in the longest stopping distance from 60 mph at 145 feet, roughly 10 feet farther than either the Dodge or Nissan."

nuff said....
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    first, before you start thinking that you made good points, i sell BOTH the fords and the nissans.

"Always like to see reviews about racing a truck with a load."

read obyone's post

"The Titan Exterior bed is small. I am talking about the 6.5 to 8 ft truck beds which Titan does not offer."

yes, the king cab's bed is actually 6'7", an inch longer than the supercab ford's bed. the ford's bed is DEEPER by 1", but that does me no good at 5'4". i would have to be over 6'4" to reach my hand to the bottom of the bed on the ford.

"Believe me the Titan next to my truck looks like a little Tonka (Yuppie)Truck"

right, dude...i park them next to each other all the time. the only things on the titan that are significantly smaller are the price tag and the split times.
  • mcscjtmcscjt Posts: 17
    Once again, Why are you comparing a F250 with the Titan? They are two different sizes.

Titan doesn't offer the 8ft bed because most people who buy picks up don't want an 8ft bed. It would cost Nissan more money to offer it, which would have to be passed on to the buyer. Maybe that's why the F150 costs so much more until the end of the year and they have 100 on the lot that they have to offer ridiculous rebates to get rid of.

How would you feel if you bought a F150 in January and they offered it for $8000 less in August?

By the way, your F250 looks small compared to a garbage truck.
This discussion has been closed.