Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    16mpg? 6 inch lift? What size tires? You might never see better milage. So far I've burned 3 tankfulls 13.5 mixed driving, 13.1 mixed, 11.9 city. I went from 10+ to under 9 mpg on my GMC when I increased tire size 2"

Offroad? To me, there is a max length and width and a minimum approach, departure and breakover angle as well as minimum ramp travel index to be considered an off road vehicle. A friend of mine saw someone with a retired military Humm-vee attempting the Eirshm (Dusy) trail in the central Sierras. He told the poor misguided soul that his vehicle was too big for the trail which got a rude response. Later, several members of his Jeep club, with several wenches and come-alongs helped extract the remains of the hummer from between a boulder and tree.
    Yes there are different kinds of off road driving but as my neighbor's extermely lifted Chevy's license plate reads; 2HI24BY
  • mcscjtmcscjt Posts: 17
    My friend has an H2, which he thought was a great offroad vehicle. It's less than a year old and he stopped going offroad with it. He admits it handles poorly when compared to full size pickups with lifts and larger tires.
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Posts: 165
    Do you know what kind of improvements the 05 Titan will have or will it? I'll think it'll eventually come down to Ford or Nissan. The Titan hasn't developed a long standing reputation like the F150. I enjoy the newness of it. I'm not really aware of the problems with the F150. I didn't consider that the F150 was considered new brand new. It's still an F150. It just has a different face. Edmund already has Titan rated better or same as the F150 in True Cost To Own. I'm not sure how accurate the research is at this moment. I think once Nissan resolves it's problems then it'll be right there with the Tundra for True Cost To Own. I love the design of the Titan. I think the F150 is just too flashy.
    Sorry, I don't know what (if any) changes are in store for Titan but I would assume that they'll work out at least some of the flaws that have been reported here and other Titan sites. When a manufacturer brings a new vehicle to market it hasn't been tested nearly as much as we consumers do with thousands of units.

The F150 was completely redesigned for '04 including internal changes in the engine and transmission, all new front suspension and rack and pinion steering, one and a half inch wider stance, the list goes on and on.

Nissan did a great job in thier first effort in a full sized truck and no doubt will work on the minor flaws.

On the other hand Ford did a superb job of re-designing thier half ton truck to perform better in every way than thier privious model with surprisingly few first year problems. Ford's having a privious model to re-design was an advantage and Nissan is clearly here to stay, but this year any percieved advantage for Nissan is pretty superficial.

You think the F150 is just too flashy? I think the same about the Titan. Even when they get the bugs worked out I couldn't own something that looks so much like a Honda Element with added chrome.
  • 35x17 tires

JBA Headers & Exhaust System is my next project.

Now I know better than go through trails marked for jeeps only.

Has anybody taken there Titan off-road? Or are you turning it into a minivan.

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
  • Radical changes to vehicals do not happen in a year after production, it would cost to much. Nissan does not have to make any changes because they have to new Nissan Frontier to mate with the Titan.

Titan

I yuppie Titan, take you valley girl Frontier, to be my wedded truck. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.

Frontier

I, valley girl Frontier, take you manly man yuppie Titan, to be my wedded truck. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, 'till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.

Now manly man yuppie Titan hook up tow package to valley girl Frontier
    and consider yourself one....
    Forget your medication? Cuz I'm seeing strong evidence of a psycotic episode!
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    Thats the rotten thing about DOHC motors.
    NO getup/grunt at low RPMS where ya need it in a truck esp. a automatic.
    When Ford came out with them esp. the 4.6 in the big Excursions there were many beefs about being gutless so the 5.4 was the only choice.

Kills me when folks beef about pushrod motors...
    They must not know any better.......
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    kg11,

"I went from 10+ to under 9 mpg on my GMC when I increased tire size 2."

When you increased your tire size, did you get your speedometer re-programmed?
    With an increase in tire size, won't the odometer read fewer miles than what you actually traveled, thus giving you a perceived drop in mpg?
    No re-program. I adjusted for the 6% increase in tire size when calculating MPGs. 5% net loss fwy 15% net loss city. About 1.5 MPG per avg tankfull consistantly for 18k mi. I've heard that reprograming helps eliminate pinging (Mine did'nt) and loss of eficency associated with oversized tires.
    Well, I appreciate your response. I do enjoy Titan's straight forward look for a truck. I agree Ford is a pretty outstanding truck with an outstanding reputation. I never really saw the
    Titan as a honda elment. I guess it must be very abstract for me not to see it. I do believe will challenge Ford with an outstanding reputation of its own. I would like to see a dual climate thing in the Titan. Maybe Some of the solar tinted windshields. I would really like to see a hardcover for the bed. Those are some of the changes I would make with the truck. I probably would like some 18 inch off road tires for the 4 by 4 model. I think those would be good changes.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    the titan has solar tint from the factory. its more of a UV blocker than a tint, though.

also, hard covers are available through A.R.E. at any truck accessory shop.
    Hey, how about the dual climate control for the family? Why can't you get the dvd without the sunroof? Or the sunroof without the dvd player? Some of these packages only purpose is to run the price to $40,000. I like the truck but why don't they allow you greater flexibility. I notice Ford seems to have a more extensive accessory list. Is the UV blocker meant to keep the truck cool or just block out harmful rays? How soon are the 05 supposed to come this year?I figure probably Ford and Titan 05 will come out around the same time.
    "Some of these packages only purpose is to run the price to $40,000"

1. DON'T pay sticker price. I paid $30,500 for a $39,035 MSRP

2. Packaged options is the only way to offer with a limited number of units in stock. Most people who want a DVD want the sunroof too. If you don't, you'll either pay for the option you did'nt want too or buy the next level down and do without the one you wanted. Ford offers more choices because there are twice as many to choose from. I shopped on line for mine and checked the inventory of 15-20 dealers within a 300mi radius of home before selecting one that was ALMOST exactly what I wanted. With Ford It's impossible to get FX4 trim with "moonroof" and NOT leather seats. After looking at more than a hundred, I got leather and put covers on them.

'05s are shipping now.
    Wow, I thought I shopped around for vehicles. I think that would probably be a whole other state for me. That was one heck of a discount. That must have been a huge dealership. Or there must have been a lot of competition. So what was the truck a fully loaded crew cab? I'm somewhat motivated to go out for my truck after hearing about your deal. Thanks for the information it definitely is helpful.
    Getting a vehicle near or even below invoice is no trick. It's work You need to know exactly what you want. Then you need to know what's available for how much. It's very important to know what you want FIRST, otherwise you see too many posibilities to keep track of and loose sight of your goal which is a vehicle close enough to what you want at a fair price. When the salesman says "would you consider" or "how about", the answer in a firm, but not rude "no" When you do find one that meets your criteria then the same rule applies to price negotiation. Don't be rude but don't give them your wallet either. They want to sell you the car and they'll make money if they do.

The clencher; A fair price depends on a lot of factors. Some cars are really worth MSRP or even more but, not your Titan even though it's a new on the market vehicle. What would I pay for a Titan? The same formula I used for my Ford; MSRP - 10% minus all advertised incentives. Check the internet for these because they're not always advertised locally. If the salesman can't accept your offer without checking with someone else first, ask to deal directly with them and don't take no for an answer.I did'nt haggle. My offer was accepted over the phone and I went and picked it up. Don't get angry. Don't get rude and don't take no for an answer. If they don't want to give you the price then politely excese yourself to "get a better price" and leave them your number WHEN THEY ASK so they can give you a better price.

My last truck I bought from a dealer here in Fresno while negociating a price on my cell phone with a dealer in San Jose. The guy here quit trying for that extra few hundred and gave me the truck for less than I had hoped.

Fully loaded ex-cab FX4, I don't like ultra short bed crew cabs
    The $8,535 under MSRP that I paid was only $35 less than the price advertised a week later. "Up to $8500 in discounts and rebates" and this time of year all manufacturers are selling at invoice on almost everything. Don't pay more on a close out vehicle. If you're willing to work for it you can always get the same price except maybe the first month of a new model year.
  • I also hate that short beds. They are of no use.

The reverse sensing comes in handy with the exception of lowered vehicals due to the lift. I hit some lowered car while backing up with no damage to my vehical (not even a scratch), but created some extensive damage to the other vehical.

Added 6 inch lift and tire/rims
    Added replacement billet grill
    Added bed Extender

Looking to replace the headers and exhaust with JBA.

Undecided on the Tonneau covers: A.R.E or LEER

San Diego:
    Bought an BLACK '04 F-150 LARIET Supercab 4X4, options 3.73 limited slip, audiophile/6disc, bright tubular running boards, power moonroof, power sliding rear window, tow package, reverse sensing system, black lthr trimmed cpt chairs, pwr driver/passender seat, heated front seats (will never use), linex sprayed bedliner, 75,000 extended warranty and low jack for 31,000K after all the rebates, tax and license.
    "I also hate that short beds. They are of no use" I agree they are of little value as a truck but YOU said you wanted to trade for a King Ranch Supercrew which only comes with that bed.
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    One thing I'd add to your shopping advice: Don't even talk to a "salesman". Ask for the sales or fleet manager. I called around asking two questions: 1. Will you sell a vehicle based on the invoice price? 2. What is it? It'll be several hundreds above or below.
    You're right about being firm on your target. It really simplifies matters, and also knowing exactly what the invoice price is before negotiations begin.

-David
This discussion has been closed.