Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan vs. Dodge Ram Hemi

Comments

• bmwdougbmwdoug Posts: 248
    The Dodge Ram is the best looking Truck on the market, in my humble opinion. It looks tough, cool, rugged, and classy. It has the market cornered on exterior looks. My issue is the back seat. When I sat in the Ram, the back seat did not feel like it had much of a setback angle. It felt straight and stiff, there was no recline. A good example of a proper setback angle is the new Toyota Tundra Double Cab, the rear seat is actually comfortable with a nice recline (setback angle).

I will go back to the Dodge dealer and sit in a Ram Quad Cab again to give it another try. If the Dodge had a nice back seat with a proper setback angle, it would be very hard to beat.
  • Two points to discuss furthur..
    1.Lets assume
    "3:36 axle ratio is used on the Titan whether it has the "Big Tow' or little tow package" Is it possible if yes,how will the incresed ratio be made up in transmission.?

2.According to Nissan site the The big tow package increases the towing capacity because it has "Lower final gear ratio (3.36:1)**; similar to a four-speed automatic 4.10:1"
    What I am interpretting from the NISSAN SITE's above statement is,the big tow package has a lower ratio of 3.36:1 and does what a higher ratio like 4.10 will do i,e tow MORE.If thats the case would'nt the little tow package have even a lower ratio than 3.36..?That does'nt seem right does it?

Regards.
  • Folks here is what I found on Nissan site regarding gear ratio's...it seems very different than what the Detriot truck builders do..

-Titans little tow package which is standard tows 7400Lbs and has final gear ratio of 2.94:1 (similar to a four-speed automatic 3.73)

-The Big tow package which tows 9500 Lbs has a final gear ratio of 3.357:1 (similar to a four-speed automatic 4.10:1)

So what I am comprehending is if the ratio's are increased on Titan to Follow the Detriot built truck i,e 3.73 or 3.92 for lower towing and 4.10 for higher towing..Titan would have more capabilities ?
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    since nissan has a 5-speed auto instead of a 4-speed, then the 2.94 ratio puts the same amount of power to the ground as the ford with a 4 speed and the 3.55. the 3.36 for nissan also puts the same amount of power to the ground as the 4.10 in the ford.

sardaz...

would the nissan gain capabilities with a 3.55 or 3.73 or 4.1? yes...but you would get about a mile to every 10 gallons of gas...lol.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,663
    That gearing info is in the Titan brochure, IIRC.

Bob
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Hmmm, I'm not sure any of the above answers Sardarz question. I think the previous message regarding the 3.36 versus the 4.10 is confusing. It would be the 4.10 ratio that provides more power for loads. Is the rear axle ratio 3.36 in the Titan? Or something else?

What we really need to know in order to understand the way it's been described is the rear axle ratio and the transmission gear ratios for both the "Big Tow" and "Little Tow" versions.

In the Hemi RAM there are two rear axle ratios available: 3.55:1 and 4.10:1. The gear ratios with the 545RFE automatic transmission for the Hemi are as follows:

1st gear = 3.00:1
    2nd gear = 1.67:1 (1)
    2nd gear = 1.50:1 (2)
    3rd gear = 1.00:1
    4th gear = 0.75:1
    5th gear = 0.67:1
    rev gear = 3.00:1

Nissan could have most certainly used a lower numerical axle ratio and made up the drive ratio difference in the transmission gearing. One of the reasons why most manufacturers use a higher numerical axle ratio in trucks, besides increasing/decreasing vehicle load capability and the comensurate power band -- is to reduce gear loading. It also offers a mechanical advantage for increasing the available torque to the ground through the rear wheels. In addition when using higher ratios in the transmission it reduces gear noise which is more easily heard in the cab because the of the proximity of the transmission (its harder to isolate transmission noise than rear axle noise).

So Bowke, what are the rear axle and transmission ratios on the new Titan?

Regards,
    Dusty
    but the axle ratios are 2.94 without the big tow, and 3.36 with the big tow.

again, the power on the ground is an equation as follows: torque X average tranny ratio X tranny speeds X axle ratio.

the bottom line comes out almost identical with the ford and nissan, since the ford has only 4 speeds. i would assume the dodge uses higher ratios in the gearing, since the power on the ground is also almost identical.
  • Would your dealership entertain a offer for Titan thru Nissan's VPP program?
    Here in Houston my local dealer is telling me to wait for a while before they can sell one to me at VPP (a month)...I just want to see if I am gonna get the same response form every dealer i,e WAIT FOR A WHILE.. or should I be calling around to other dealers around here to see who volunteers for VPP..
    we wont know till we actually get a truck...the VPP price, like ford's a/x/z plan price, will be on the invoices. if nissan allows it, we have no problem.
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    This ones for you Bowke,as a salesman you should know the answer or where to get the figures. I'll take another beer!

1st .... 3.827
    2nd .... 2.368
    3rd .... 1.520
    4th .....1.000
    5th .....0.834
    reverse 2.613
    Final Drive 2.937/3.357(tow & off road package)

They are all higher than the Dodge 5 speed which shows why the rear-end can be lower in the Titan.

As to the noise thing - no person who has reviewed the Titan has ever mentioned a noise issue so that is probably old thinking - that is technology has solved that problem.
    we dont have titans, nor do we have the tech. spec. books, nor do we have the brochures. there is nowhere to find this info. here.

ill buy you a labatts anyway, ay! ;-)
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    "we dont have titans, nor do we have the tech. spec. books, nor do we have the brochures. there is nowhere to find this info. here. "

FYI, neither do I have access to any of that stuff. Takes a little research. I should be a Nissan Salesman!! Go to Nissannews.com and check out the specs there. I told another guy how to find them. I printed the specs and it was 12 pages long. You should print them, then you will have more answers for your prospects.

pretty easy, eh?
    most of my prospects, however, are toyota tundra drivers who wouldnt know truck numbers anyway...lol.
    >>>As to the noise thing - no person who has reviewed the Titan has ever mentioned a noise issue so that is probably old thinking - that is technology has solved that problem.
    <<<

I wasn't implying that the Titan or any other truck has a noisy transmission. Even with today's technology, it's just more difficult to reduce and isolate noise from the transmission than it is the rear differential.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    Tundra drivers? Do you really think so?

Tundra has never been accepted as a true full sized truck by most posters here, however; The amount of interest generated here in these last few weeks indicates the opposite is true for Nissan Titan.
     Yes, there's some skepticism, as there should be, but there aren't scores of us laughing like we did when Toyota announced thier "full sized" T100 or Tundra.

In fact, the only thread our host deleted was comparing Titan to Tundra.

Your "prospects" are right here.

kip
  • oldharryoldharry Posts: 413
    I wonder why the host killed Titan vs Tundra, but left Titan vs each of the other three?

Harry
  • triattriat Posts: 121
    Tundra owners by the fact they're interested in 7/8ths truck aren't bothered by the sophomoric chest beating the big 3 do in bragging about whatever particular slight advantage their truck advertises.

Most Tundra owners are interested in Tundra for reliability, quality, and Toyota service & reputation.

For most(>50%) of truck owners our trucks are for city errands. Big loads or pulling a several thousand pound trailer are infrequent occasions.

Tundra fills a niche, just like smaller compact trucks.
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    It could be because Tundra drivers often lack the ability to discern the difference a working truck and "The best truck on the market"

I had a co-worker who insisted his Tundra was almost a one ton because it had a gross payload of over 1800 lb.

We've gone over the Tundra debate ad nausium. There's a large majority of truck owners that don't consider Tundra a viable option and you don't hear them saying much against the Titan. Just speculation about it's merits.

kip
    i started another thread for it...go to trucks to find it. ;-)
  • I took the plunge after a lot of comparison with Detroit built trucks. None matches Titans ride.I went for a LE Canteen exterior.
    Bought at $100 LESS than Invoice(My employer is a partner with Nissan,so I got the same deal as a Nissan employee would get)mighty happy :-).
    I had to call a dozen dealers and only one agreed to sell it to me at VPP.
    The supply of these trucks is very limited here in Houston.Also the sales manager informed me, Nissan is shutting the factory down for holiday's(Don't know for how many days).He says there is a 60 days lag time for him to recieve these trucks after he orders them.
    I drove the truck to the local mall and got looks where ever I went,after I parked and went in the store a guy actually parked nearby and came out to take a around the truck tour ... I am glad the truck is equipped with security system ;-)
    our 1st titan will be here sometime after the 15th. it will be an XE king cab 4X4 in sedona.
  • triattriat Posts: 121
    Congratulations Sardarz!! I've only seen the Canteen in sunlight. Does the color change hues in say cloudy weather or in early morning or evening?

When I test drove LE CC silver couple weeks ago, we got a ton of looks, cars pulling alongside for looks..etc.

Write up a review if you get a chance, I think my mid Nov review the only detailed review. Let us know how you like it in day to day driving, & what kind of mileage!! Thanks!

Congrats again! I can't wait for mine to come in!
  • I should say you are a very astute observer, right on with the change of hue...
    You are right,in the early morning or say evening/cloudy the color takes on a dark hue,where as in sunlight it gets a bright hue,dunno if its good or not but I like it...
    My choice was Canteen,Red,Black in that order..
    The ride is very smooth,lots of friends who rode it are very impressed.One of em a hard core chevy follower was very impressed..
    I have not driven it much over the last two days,so do not know about the mileage yet,though I am taking it for a trip to Disney(Florida)next weekend,after 2000 miles of drive I think a review would be justified. :-)
    Cheers
  • Quote: In the Hemi RAM there are two rear axle ratios available: 3.55:1 and 4.10:1.

Even this isn't entirely true. According the Dodge website, on the 04 Ram w/ Hemi, the only 2 ratios are 3.55 and 3.92. I believe the 3.92 is required with anti-slip diff.
    My apologies. My mistake.

Actually, for the RAM 1500 the axle ratios are 3.55 and 3.92.

For the RAM 2500/3500 series they are 3.73 and 4.10

Thanks for the correction.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Oh, I wasn't try to burn you or anything. I can tell you are probably as big a Dodge fan as I am--so we need as much accurate info as we can against Bowke. ;->
    No, I didn't interpret your comment as a burn at all. And I agree, accuracy is important.

By the way, I'm really not a big Dodge fan per se. In fact, I like Nissan products but I am not bound to any. If there wasn't anything I liked about Dodges, I wouldn't own one. When it come to cars, Chrysler just doesn't do it for me. They're okay, no better than what comes out of Ford or GM, maybe even a tad worse.

But when it comes to trucks I do think Dodge is far more competive than a lot of people would really care to admit. Besides, working in the fleet business for a while I really came to have a lot of respect for Chrysler engineering and their truck product.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    that nissan did, shows that toyota and dodge truck buyers are generally the LESS loyal of truck owners. thats why the ram and tundra are the targets.
This discussion has been closed.