Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan vs. Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Ill stick with my 2000 Silverado
    because it is a great truck. Over 40K miles and couldnt be happier with it. Only other truck id consider would be a 2500HD crewcab (for the room) and the big block or diesel engine
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    im glad for you. the reason i started this thread is so people can have candid discourse about the advantages of their truck. the Titan is due for release in 9 days, and im sure many chevy/gmc buyers will be cross-shopping soon.

so let me ask you...if you wouldnt consider another truck besides GMC/Chevy...why did you post here?
    You asked

"Which one will you drive? why? "

and I gave an answer

Ok this is in reply to the ford topic where you said you sell nissans. I am just curious if you or anyone you know get upset when someone doesnt like the product. I found this to be the way at a few toyota dealerships when I was looking at the tundras. The salesman asked my opinion and I said i didnt like it because the backseat was to small. He blew up and got all bent out of shape. He asked my opinion and I gave it. I cant comment on the titan because I have only seen pics and the performance figures.
    no, i dont. everyone is entitled to their opinion.

the only thing that gets on my nerves is when people make a buying decision without all the information, or incorrect information. for example, a guy bought a ranger with the ABS option instead of the frontier. he told me that it was because the frontier didnt offer it as an option. i told him thats because its standard.

if you like the competition, fine...i just want to be able to provide the info. my customer needs to make an educated decision.

having said that, the titan is a true full size truck with full size capabilities, where the tundra is more of a soccer-mom's truck. ;-)
    thats good I am glad your an informed salesman. I ran into plenty of sales people who didnt know anything. I was going to buy a work truck this past summer (base model sierra or silverado). Only reason I ended up not buying one was the sales people. Best Lie i got was when I asked if there was an advertising fee added in. The salesman said and I quote I wouldnt be working here if there were hidden fees. He showed me the invoice and sure enough a $270 some dollar ad fee. I pointed it out and boy did his face turn white. He didnt think I could read the invoice I guess. Plus the pressure of buying was unbelievable. 6 times I told him i wasnt buying the truck that day another thing he said well 99% of the people who dont buy the first day they are in dont come back. Well i wonder why they dont come back???
    the guy you ran into was new in the business, and getting frustrated. ive had months where i dont do well (this is one of them), but i dont take it out on anyone else but myself. ;-)

now back on topic, you may keep a bowtie around your neck for life, but i would check out the titan on december 1st...you might just end up on the 'shift_' bandwagon! lol
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    Full sized truck on the market.Competition is a good thing.

I've read the stats and it seems that Nissan has done on it's first attempt what Toyota hasn't done in two tries.

That said,when Nissan (or ANY mfg) comes out with a big block gas powered 3/4 ton I'll check it out.The Ford V10 was a bit anemic and the new Dodge Hemi has 100 lb less torque than my 8.1. I had hoped Dodge would do better with thier now discontinued V10

Until somebody builds a more comfortable,more powerfull truck,I'll stick with my GMC,questionable quality and all.

kip
    The salesman wasnt new. He said he had like 8 yrs in the business.

As far as the ford V-10 they are thirsty. I drive one around the plant at work (crew cab long bed 2wd) alot of idling starting and stopping and alot of offroading. It averages about 7-8 mpg :(

Im not in the truck market now bowke. About a month ago put a chunk of change down on some land and I am (contractor not me) building a house in a little over a year
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    >>I had hoped Dodge would do better with their now discontinued V10<<

In 2000 there were plans to have the V10 upgraded to a new cylinder head and intake manifold design that would significantly raise both HP and torque. However, since the new Hemi was already on the drawing board it was decided that much more could be done with the new Hemi engine and likely performance improvements would render the V10 as obsolete.

A V10 built off of the current Hemi is is being talked about, but it will likely find its way into 3/4 ton and up platforms.

There is also a displacement and power increase planned for the Hemi V8 as well.

Dusty
    I have no problem buying a 3/4 ton to get the bigger engine.In fact that's what I did with the GMC.The Hemi V10 or bigger V8 will be worth looking at in spite of the ugly front end.

kip
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Are you talking about the Dodge or the Titan? lmao......

For me, I like the original version prototype Nissan which came out about two years ago. The Titan looks too similar to the Frontier. Course looks are subjective but I can't see paying for something I don't like looking at.

Saw the new F150 and the sides of the bed looks like the Ave. Got to be 7'6" to put anything into the bed.....
    funny you mention the ford bed. at our training, they had a ford. they actually asked is to reach in and touch the bottom of the bed...only one person could do it...he was about 6'6"...lol.

as far as the looks, nissan wanted SOME brand recognition. in a few years, they will probably redesign the front...but until then, they want people to look at it and go "that looks like a nissan".
    I don't care for the Dodge styling, privious or current,but I could live with it.The Nissan ,Fronteer and Titan,look redicules.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    Having been around trucks my whole life -- I always had a dislike for yuppy import pickups. Then I looked into Toyotas and saw how solid they were. Nissans on the other hand never picked up the ball in my opinion with toughness (with the exception of the hardbodies) and, to me, just carried the image of the truck for taking the garbage can to the end of the driveway. The new Frontiers have just never had the first feature that seemed "truck-like." The ugly useless interior that looks at home in the 350Z, for example. Nissan never made a vehicle with the off-road prowess as Tacomas and their reliability is a smidge less as well. Exterras seem utilitarian, until you ride in one. Nissan brags about a 3.3L supercharged engine that makes a HUGE 210 HP. That really makes them look like they know very little.

Granted Toyota has nothing to rival the Titan, but the Tundra is the best at what it is (and thats not a truck for soccer moms). I haven't looked at what the Titan has other than a lights out hoss of a motor, so I will keep an open mind. I would never buy one though just from the image Nissan has always carried with their trucks and SUVs.

I mean now disrespect with this post as similar criticism about Toyotas has made me mad at times as well. If Nissan gets involved with NASCAR, I may change my mind, though. ;)
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    Saddaddy, I am not going to comment about wether Toyota trucks are tough, but I will about nissans. I have owned an old King cab and A newer Frontier. Both were alot tougher than they looked. There isn't another small tuck that can pull what the frontier can. I pulled a 5000 lb trailer with the cab full and never had any problems. My old king cab was a work horse. IMO, you are wrong when you say the Nissan Trucks aren't tough. And I am betting the new Titan is goinbg to be Bad [non-permissible content removed] tough!
    to drive a titan and tundra back-to-back, you will absolutely agree that the toyota falls WAAAAAYY short.
  • There is no comparison.
    Or was that another commercial? I still have that '91 though I put on around 2k miles a year on it now.

Alpha T was the concept truck....

http://www.edmunds.com/news/conceptcarspotlight/articles/46354/ar- ticle.html
    But the front is uglier than the Titan
    I thought the front end was right up there with the new style rados....
    We're on the same page now. I don't like the AV-style front.

When I bought the '01 GMC,I chose it over the Chev cuz I hated the high hood on the HDs.

I like the new F150s looks
    i like the looks of the f150 better than the titan myself, but its just not as much all-around truck as the nissan.
    its difficult, but I won't say what Im thinkin.

And anyone who compares the Tundra to the Titan is dumber than a snow-mobile in Canton, MS (hehe, Titans manufacturing place). Apples and oranges! I say this after bowke has tried to bring it up about 4 times. Its not saying much for this truck hes trying so desperately to sell, when he pitches it against a vehicle that is tons smaller in every way. Are you trying to tell me that Toyota tried to build a truck the same size as the silverado/ram/f-150 with a 5+L engine and everything magically shrank on the assembly line. Don't sound so clueless, they knew exactly what they were building and are selling exactly as many as they want. Just for the record I don't really like em, but you talk about uneducated comments -- bowke, you are just one in a million blurting out that very thing when you continually push that debate.
    i drive them almost every day. i can say, quite honestly and objectively, that the titan is just a smidge better all-around.
    This topic compares full sized trucks and not wannabes...lmao
  • hogboyhogboy Posts: 84
    Obyone, that was a dirty job, but someone had to do it.
    Thanks.
    wayta go obyone
    cuz mister bowke was pushing his sales just a little too hard.

I was just making the point that this fella is complaining about the very thing he has done the most of. Dunno if I said it, but the Silverados my faves by far -- but I just felt like this guy needed to realize some of the ways he was defying his own advice, thats all. Happy turkey day!
This discussion has been closed.