Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    Hey, I have some good news! (Good news for the "cotmc" household, that is.) After I called Lexus Customer Service late last week, they investigated my warped rotor problem with my service advisor at Bell Lexus. I guess Bell Lexus went to bat for me; and now, Lexus will cover the cost to replace the front rotors and pads on our RX330! I just received the call from my service advisor a few minutes ago.

Obviously, I am very pleased at how Lexus is taking care of me. I had hoped they might provide some type of discount or partial payment toward a rotor and pad replacement, but I did not expect them to cover the entire cost. Especially considering we did not buy our RX330 from Bell Lexus, I am extremely pleased with how this issue was handled.
  • lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Posts: 101
    I can only hope other Lexus dealerships and service departments take note (especially in areas where there is no competing Lexus dealership).

Thanks for the update cotmc.
    "I can only hope other Lexus dealerships and service departments take note..."

Yes, I hope this is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

This type of goodwill and customer service is what leads to a large loyal customer base, as well as those full red Customer Satisfaction circles within Consumer Reports!
  • my1stsuv1my1stsuv1 Posts: 19
    I found this TSIB from NHTSA web site. Does anyone know what this TSIB is about? Any VIN#? Thanks.

Summary:
    THE PROPER IDENTIFICATION OF THE 7 SOLENOIDS USED IN THE U150E/U151E/U151F TRANSMISSIONS.
  • edev31edev31 Posts: 41
    Katherine,

Just wanted to know if you are pursuing the Lemon Lawsuit you mentioned a while back.

I haven't posted in a while, b/c I'm fed up with my RX330 too! Today marks 2 weeks in the shop. I was also given a "loaner" Rx330 that is actually for sale AS-IS-NO WARRANTY. The dealer left the window sticker on the back seat! I was told by a lawyer friend that this must have been declared a lemon. By law, a lemon vehicle's title is branded and the manufacturer's warranty becomes null and void.

It sounds like our cars have so many of the same problems. If you get a chance, let me know what you decided to do.

Thanks!
  • katherine6katherine6 Posts: 61
    I'm planning to file for lemon status but don't know the exact timing. In Massachusetts the manufacturer is allowed a 7 day period after notification (by registered letter preferably) for a final attempt to fix the problems. After the 7 day period, if the manufacturer doesn't refund or replace the vehicle the process goes to arbitration at the owner's discretion (if i'm reading the law correctly). Since I will be out of town for approximately 3 weeks starting one week from now, and since my rx is presently in repair, I think I'll need to file when I return.

If the car is declared a lemon the manufacturer must replace it or return all of the buyers money plus state sales tax and any fees such as registration, etc. They also have to refund any interest payments on loans and costs of dealer add-ons.

I'm hoping Lexus would rather take the car back than have it "lemoned." Such a pain. I'm in my 5th loaner.

Let us know what and how you are doing.

This board and its posters have been very helpful. Once again, thanks to all.

katherine
  • kcr2kcr2 Posts: 10
    My stereo crapped out on the return leg of a trip a few weeks ago. The radio appeared to be working except no sound. I had it repaired during my 10,000 mile service. The problem was a bad amplifier which the dealer replaced. I had a loaner (ES 330) for 7 days while they waited on replacement parts. Problem solved...sounds great again.

Just a note, the ES 330 was a nice but I'm glad to have my RX back. It was quicker, smoother, and quieter than the RX but not as much as you would think when comparing a car to an SUV. After 7 days I got used to the ES, but I prefer the overall ride and feel of the RX.
  • rx330rx330 Posts: 16
    Could someone explain this issue please? I just
    bought an used (12K miles) AWD RX330 with performance package. I was wondering whether
    this is something I should be worried about?

Thanks
    /kmk
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    My 01 AWD RX300 sometimes vibrates with light braking downhill at ~30mph when the street is wet. But no other time that I have noticed. I have attributed it to the automatic brake force distribution system.
    kmk,

Did you read all my posts going back to #547?

So far, I seem to be the only person who has reported this problem on an RX330. Hopefully, this is an isolated incident. Don't know the root cause. This problem could have been caused by any combination of issues, such as the Goodyear dealer over-tightening the lug nuts; by my wife and myself; or due to original equipment that wasn't as robust as it should have been.

If you don't feel any significant vibrations on the steering wheel while lightly applying the brake on dry and smooth pavement, then your RX330 does not have this problem.
    Hi Katherine-

Thanks for the reply. I am currently driving my 5th loaner, too!

Have you approached your dealer about a "buyback"?

The manager at my dealer offered to several months ago, but we would be out almost 5k.He was very rude about the whole situation, and didn't return my husband's calls for 3 days. I was told by the assistant mgr.that he had been working all of those days!

I hope you have better luck with your dealer!
  • uis00snuis00sn Posts: 18
    Can anybody recommend the manufacturer?
    Is it better to buy a kit or film-by-the-feet?

What is the installation cost?

Thanks.
    I gave the dealer I bought from a courtesy call and he said he wanted to follow up, would get right back to me after calling the servicing dealer. been a week and I haven't heard.

Lemon is a manufacturer issue. The dealer is not really involved. I don't want to bug them about it; not their fault that Lexus gave them a lemon. Why would your dealer offer a buy back, especially if it would cost them $$? Sounds like a good deal. If a dealer offered to buy mine back, he/she can be rude as they want.

I'll let everyone know how this plays out when I'm back in a few weeks. Keep us posted.

katherine
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,966
    Try the Car front end protective bras & film discussion.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• gardencargardencar Posts: 293
    Read about your brake rotor woes. Congratulations on getting Lexus to pay for a new set. I'm glad things worked out so well for you.

I've been so busy that I haven't even had time to call Lexus to set up my 5000 mile service. My RX330 has 5640 miles on it and so far the only issues are the driver's side door handle sticking, and the transmission cooler lines clunking when the car is put in reverse. So far, I seem to be the only person that has posted a door handle issue. I usually have to pull up on the inside handle twice, before the door unlocks. If I use the lock/unlock button first, the lock works fine, without sticking.

Other than the rare hesitation after slowing down, even after the transmission update was done at the factory and before I took delivery, I am so far very happy with the car. We haven't put too many miles on the car yet because we've been using our other vehicles for in-town grunt work and saving the RX for highway cruising. Will post again with reports of our 5000+ mile service.
    Hi Katherine,

Maybe I wasn't clear on the offer my dealer proposed-b/c it's definitely NOT a good deal for me!

They offered to "take the car off my hands", but I would have to pay out almost $5,000 due to the depreciation! They claim they are "giving me a good deal" because the vehicle has depreciated about $8,500. Yeah, great deal to pay an additional $5,000 to get out of a $44,000 "luxury SUV" that has given me nothing but problems and hours of wasted time driving it back and forth to the dealer for service repairs!

So, technically, they are not "buying it back", although that's how they put it! I agree, if they would completely "buy it back" for the price paid,and I would not have to pay out any $$, I wouldn't care if they were rude, either!!

Good luck with your car, and keep us updated, too!
  • rparisrparis Posts: 368
    I had an Es a few years back that had been to the dealer 8 times for the same problem With the assistance and support of Lexus, as I called the 800 number, the dealer bought it back from me at a very fair price. I then bought another one which was part of the deal as it was very highly discounted to say the least..
    I could not locate all of your earlier posts-what is the problem with the car and which dealer did you buy from?
    I think you can do a "Search this Discussion" with my name and find my posts. My rx has had all of the "big five" problems as my service writer put it. Transmission hesitation, cooler line clunk, quirky operation of rear hatch, one I can't remember and dash and A-pillar rattles. The dash has been pulled 4 times and each time one set of rattles is fixed new rattles appear. Got it back from repair yesterday. will see what it does this time.

I bought at Lexus of Norwood, and have it serviced in Watertown. Both dealers have tried to fix the dash rattles. Watertown took me more seriously - didn't brush me off - on the other issues; in fact they brought up some things I hadn't mentioned, so I'm sticking with them for service for now.

Why do you ask? Are you in Massachusetts?

Katherine
  • mb280mb280 Posts: 27
    At about 11,000 miles my RX330's steering wheel would vibrate heavily if I applied the brakes when at high highway speeds. The dealer cut the rotors at no charge--that problem has now gone away. They also seem to have cured the noise in the dash.

My main complaint since I first got the RX in July was that it drifts and does not track straight. My dealer acknowledged that this problem exists but Lexus has not yet developed a fix.

Over the years I have driven a variety of vehicles from Suburbans to Corvairs and have never had a car that requires as much concentration as the RX.

As one can see from my past posts, I am not a happy camper with the RX. It's not a truck, it's not a car--but I could live with all of that if didn't go off on its own if I look at the dash for a fraction of a second to adjust the temperature.
    When I first acquired my 78 911 driving it required constant attention, I compared it to flying the C210 in IFR conditions.

Then I happened across a master Porsche mechanic who sent me to an alignment shop with specific instructions to not use the factory alignment procedure.

I don't know what the proper term is but I think it involved setting the front wheels up such that the vertical strut travel was with the bottom of the strut slightly behind the top.

Made a world of difference in the car tracking without constant attention.
  • uis00snuis00sn Posts: 18
    Can anybody recommend the manufacturer?
    Is it better to buy a kit or film-by-the-feet?

What is the installation cost?

Thanks.
    To answer your question, yes. I found the Watertown service dept very good to work with. I work with Maria who is excellent.I would suggest, if it is not repaired, you go back to Norwood and ask them to buy the vehicle back from you. Maybe you can avoid the lemon law dealings. Also, contct the national Lexus office.
    If you e mail me (check my profile) I can give you soame additional information lwhen I had a major problem.
  • tomjavatomjava Posts: 136
    Most made by 3M under names such as Stoneguard, X-pel, etc.

IMO, you'd better ask proffesional installer since it's not easy to do it right.
    FYI, I paid $600 for my RX330.

Good luck.
  • I am having a problem with starting the motor. I just picked up my new RX330 last night. It had 15 miles on the car when I picked it up. It has 139 already. The problem that I am having is with the starting motor. It takes too long to turn on the car. I turn the key and the engine does not start right away. I have to keeped it turn for another couple of seconds and then it will start. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
  • You may have encountered a feature rather than a problem. Toyotas are famous for cranking longer before starting than other makes. First time Toyota owners often notice the difference, but it's not necessarily a malfunction. Two seconds of cranking sounds about right. As long as it starting cranking as soon as you hit the starter, cranks smoothly / strongly and always starts, it's probably not a problem. You might try starting another Rx at the dealership and see how yours compares.
  • btill1btill1 Posts: 69
    My wife just called me from NYC where she is on business with her RX 330, she said that when she puts on the brake at higher speeds the whole car shakes. She asked if I could make an appt. with Lexus ASAP. I just got off the phone with them and the service rep told me Lexus would replace the rotors under warranty and not to worry and what kind of loaner would I like? So obviously this is somewhat of a known problem, our RX 330 has about 20k miles on it.
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing that info with us. Now I am very curious whether we will see other Town Hall members reporting this problem within the next year or so.
  • rsl007rsl007 Posts: 7
    I have an 2004, RX330....I would like to know if it is possible to deactivate the DRL's. I pulled the fuse, #10, labeled DRL, but the lights still stay on. The service manager at my dealer did not know how to turn them off.
    Thank you,
    Richard
    They do give you a safety advantage...

In the 01 RX you could simply disconnect the voltage dropping resistor mounted under the battery support plate.