Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nesqmannesqman Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 RX300 with 55k miles and notice a "ticking" noise gettting louder. I am concerned about this "sludge" warning I recevied--Lexus dealer said its OK--co codes show up. Will an oil additive help? Any advise appreciated.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your ticking noise is quite possibly, most likely, coming from your fuel injectors and therefore is not an indication of any serious engine problem.

Mine, 2001 AWD RX300, 60k miles, are only really noticeable at idle, louder outside than inside but definitely noticeable inside.

I believe the engine problem causing the sludging was corrected before your 2002 model was built.
  • mckymousemckymouse Member Posts: 1
    "Federal Law prohibits new car dealers from implying or denying warranty service because routine schedule maintenance was performed at an independent repair facility." FYI
  • corlt1corlt1 Member Posts: 29
    My wife has a 2004 RX330 with AWD that has various sqeaks and rattles. In searching for the source, I started taking items off the car and test driving it to see if I could find the cause. I thought it was the rear license plate, spare tire, tool kit, rear cargo cover, rear hatch, first aid kit, etc.

I finally found that the source of the noise turned out to be that the rear seat backs were rubbing together, if both seat backs were set to the same pitch angle. If I slightly change the seat back tilt on one of the seat backs, the sqeaky sound disappears.

I still do have an ocasional clunk sound when driven over rough pavement from the top of dash near the NAV system and also a thunk from the rear shocks after a moderate stop. The dealer investigated the rear thunk and said that it was normal. Yeah, right.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    My rx330 has been in to fix a "rattle" in the top front dash, very near the speaker. I have the Levinson speaker set up with a middle dash speaker.

I don't know if the noise you heard in your dash is the same. But the rattle was driving me (more) crazy than I really am.

Finally after in the shop overnight four times, removing the dash, and finally putting a "noise kit" into the dash, has stopped the rattle.

All was covered under warranty.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • jdamatojdamato Member Posts: 4
    My NAV is messed up. it cannot recognize where I am. I dont get the "GPS" in the top left anymore. I have an appt tomorrow for service but wanted to know if anyone else has ever had this problem and what the fix is.
  • mcdolemcdole Member Posts: 3
    Hello, my 2005 rx330 has been in the dealers shop since feb 1. Yesterday the southeast troubleshooter was supposed to look at the car. No word on that exercise yet. About 6 mos ago I took it in with the rear clunk problem and they put new muffler clamps. Did not fix and the service person and the mechanic told me it was a design problem. THis time the service mgr is telling me that there is no such design problem.
    How has your dealer handled the problem.

He also tells me that my car is an isolated case. NO documented problems noted by Lexus across the country.

I'm at mcdoler@bellsouth.net
  • mcdolemcdole Member Posts: 3
    See my reply to smartgazz feb 22 2007
  • gw282828gw282828 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same "RATTLE" noise from the dashboard odommeter area. What is the "NOISE KIT" that your dealer provide you free of charge. the noise also bother me a lot . Thanks for the info in advance.

Greg
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Dear gw282828

The rattle in my rx330 was in the top area of the dash and under the speaker. I got Levinson add on when I bought it.

Ok, dealer took a part the dash four times trying to "fix" it all under WARRANTY. The kit wad put in the last time I was at the dealer. All free, no cost, under warranty.

You can very likely purchase the kit, or have it put into your car, if that will solve the problem I am guessing the cost of the kit is around $ 200. (And probably inflated because it is a Lexus product.)

I would determine what is the problem before I have the kit put in. But it took them four times, and they did nit without any b.s.

Hope this helps, good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    I had a similar experience with my 2005 RX 330. It took two trips to the dealer to get the rattle/vibration to go away, but it was all taken care of at no charge and loaner car was provided each time.
  • rav4mnrav4mn Member Posts: 10
    2004 330 owners...

Before your warranty runs out (mine does next month) take a long hard look and listen at your vehicle and get in there for your soon to be last free repairs. A listing of things I have had covered under warranty:
    --front dash rattle (removed whole dash, put in noise kit and completely solved problem)
    --rattle from the rear (in my case it was sooo simple. The tonneau cover plastic latches...in the track where the cover slides to lock...tend to vibrate/rattle. They simply put sticky felt on each latch piece! A simple DIY!)
    --Aluminum alloys replaced (there were little "bubbles" forming under silver/clear coat, looked like rust does under paint. They were small, 1/8 to 1/4 inch..but Lexus replaced all 4 alloys under warranty. That would be big $$!)
    --The doors on my center console did not close reliably at the push of the button. Lexus replaced whole console.
    --Rattle from glove box area. Lexus installed some sort of glove box noise kit. Problem solved.
    --ENGINE TICKING at idle. Listen to your engine at idle. Hear a ticking? There is a service bulletin on this, involves replacing or modifying fuel injector lines, etc. Ticking went away for free.
    --Poor rear wiper coverage/cleaning. Wiper left a streak of dirt about 2 inches wide in the middle of its arc. Lexus replaced whole wiper assy. Coverage 95% better now.
    --For all of this a nice Lexus loaner car was provided each time.
    --ON a completely RANDOM note: The MacNiel Automotive Floor Liners for the RX330 are the greatest invention ever. Just finished a sloppy MN winter, and these things are like nothing else you've ever had. Not a DROP of dirty salty snow or muck touched my carpet underneath. With the tall ~2 inch ledge all around, spillovers are obsolete. They revolutionize the concept of a floor mat.
  • motomacmotomac Member Posts: 1
    New guy here...first post...be gentle! :)

I am transferring to the Middle East for a couple of years and plan to buy a Certified 2004-2005 RX330 to take with. Talking to people already there, I've been told to make sure I get a car that has some "reserve" in the cooling system because it will be taxed to the max! Also, the A/C system must be able to handle year-round work at maximum. During July and August, the daily high temps stay around 140-141F (61C for you metric types). Has anyone had any problems with their 330 in very high temps, with either the A/C or engine cooling system? Should I look into installing an engine and/or transmission oil cooler?

Another recommendation was for remote start. I've seen it offered on many cars (mostly American iron), but nothing for the RX. Is it not available? It would be nice to be able to start the car and let it run for a few minutes before I get to the parking lot...it would be able to cool off the interior to a chilly 120F or so before I get in!!

Any info or advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mac
  • windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    So naturally ONE MONTH past the 36 month standard warranty period the dreaded DASHBOARD RATTLE shows up on the passenger side of our '04. It sounds like it's behind the glovebox. At first I thought a tire might have thrown one of its weights but it sometimes shows up at too low a speed to be that.

I'm reasonably sure that the dealer would handle it at 37 months but they're 60 miles away. I'm pretty handy and don't mind tackling something but I'm not sure what in there is rattling.

Any help here.

I've got 26,000 on the Michelins and they look to have another 4,000 or so in them. Any recommendations on smooth yet reasonable tread wear tires? Yes I did a forum search but looking for more experiences from the group.

Thanks in advance

Windy
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    In your shoes I would go to Home Depot and purchase a water shutoff valve to install in the feed line to the water heater core/heat exchanger.

Toyota/lexus relies solely on the complete closing of reheat/remix vane door to prevent any portion of the airflow from being reheated. But the radiant effects from the HOT heater core will still have some level of detrimental affects on the maximum cooling level.

You can also increase the overall efficiency of the system by turning the temperature control to maximum cooling setpoint (this should result in the system going into recirculate mode automatically) and then use the outflow routing (footwell will less discomforting***)and blower speed to regulate the cabin to your comfort level. Keep in mind that the system will be MOST efficient at cooling the airflow at the LOWEST blower speeds.

***The system airflow will be so COLD it will be somewhat discomforting (which is why the reheat/remix method is normally used) but the A/C compressor and condensor "LOAD" will be a lot less. That will not only increase the efficiency of the A/C but will result in improved engine cooling capability.

Additionally just yesterday I dropped by my local Lexus shop to buy an oil filter and while I was there I asked one of the techies what could I possibly do to alleviate the instances of finding the ATF overheated and burned in my 2001 AWD RX300.

After ascertaining that I already had the towing package, the auxiliary ATF cooler, he said that there was nothing more that he knew of that would help. Then he went on to tell me that the newer, newest, RX and ES models were having ATF overheat problems in as little as 15,000 miles.

If it's like my '01 it will have an ATF overtemp indication on the instrument panel so you will need to pay close attention. Obviously you might want to also make sure the one you purchase has the auxiliary ATF cooler as a part of the tow package..

In the next few weeks I expect to be adding at least one computer type 12 volt boxer fan to move more air through my auxiliary cooler.

At ~40,000 miles I drained and refilled the ATF twice before it would remained clear and pinkish and now at 63,000 miles it's again looking somewhat burned. I live in the Seattle area, moderate summer temperatures, the tow hitch was removed the week I bought the new RX and the most common load is the wife and I.

The RX330 uses DBW, e-throttle, to avoid some of these transaxle problems, "protect the drive train", (1-2 second delay in the onset of engine torque if the transaxle needs to be downshifted shortly after a full lift-throttle upshift) so you may not even need to worry about the ATF overheat problem.

On the other hand the VC, Viscous Clutch, was dropped from the AWD system for the entire RX330 product run. Therefore the RX330's AWD relies ONLY on the TC, Traction Control, braking to apportion engine torque to the wheel(s) with traction in the event of (mostly front) wheelspin/slip.

Obviously I don't need to remind you of the inherent design flaws in the Toyota/lexus automatic climate control system that will often result in sudden windshield fogging.

Unless you expect to encounter cool and humid evening/night time climates....
    After I posted msg #1511 I thought about it a bit and then double checked my owner's manual. Oh, right, the standard warranty is 48K miles, not 36. So please disregard the first part of my post.

Still would like some tire recommendations for when I do have to replace my Michelins.

Thanks

windy
    I posted last week about our dashboard starting to rattle after 3 years and 25K miles. Yesterday afternoon ran into a friend who has an RX330 purchased right after we got ours and started discussing our overall happiness with the car.

I mentioned about the vibration and she got a funny smile and started nodding her head. Then she asked if we'd had any tire work done at XXX a local tire store, we live about an hour from the only Lexus store. I told her that my wife had had the tires rotated there about a month before. She said the vibration had started on hers right after she'd had hers rotated and balanced at the same store.

When her husband drove the car next he noticed the noise and thought maybe he'd thrown a weight. He happened to check the air pressure and noticed that the tires were now inflated to 36 psi! When he let enough out to take them back to 30psi the noise went away.

I'm usually pretty good about checking my tire pressure, but had been pretty busy this winter. I got my gauge and sure enough, all 4 were sitting at 35! I let them down to 30 and viola, smooth and quiet.

Also thanks to the above poster who mentioned about setting the rear seats at different angles!

windy6
  • cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    the back wheels on my 2006 rx330 2wd "squat", in other word they are not perpendicular to the ground. they are about 5/8 inch in at top of wheel. is this normal?
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    Had a 2004 Rx330, new in April, 2003. It seems I had every problem you could imagine in my four years of ownership. Constant difficulties and trips to the dealer for repairs. Well over $5000 of repairs, all under warranty, thank goodnes. The happiest day of my ownership was when the Acura gave me full Kelly Blue Book trade in for the 330. Have an Acura MDX now and what a great car it is! The 330 was probably the worst vehicle I have had in the last 30 years or so. A real dog.

Most people have good luck, but this one was a real piece of work!

Jack H.
  • rx330rx330 Member Posts: 16
    2004 RX 330 AWD

1st time DIY... I did some DIY and changed oil, cabin air filter etc.. How to change engine air filter and oil filter?
  • lovecdlovecd Member Posts: 50
    Got my RX350 few months ago. I read through the manual, it mentioned that it requires premium gas(92), sb. said I can just use plus (89) instead. Can sb. give some advise here? Many thanks!
  • theozzfactortheozzfactor Member Posts: 23
    i dunno whether am in the right forum but came to this page while doing some search for RX300 2002 maintenance schedule..am plannin to buy this vehicle 2002 RX300 with 66500 miles on it....just wanted to know wht r the things i need to check b4 takin the vehicle..also am plannin to buy the 3 yrs / 36000 miles platinum warranty....can anyone pls help me out in this?
    thanks
    Andy
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have a look at Maintenance Schedule.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kitana370kitana370 Member Posts: 6
    Hello All~
    I was wondering if the RX330 requires oil changes @ 3k or can they go to 5k like my previous Toyota Rav4? :confuse:

Thanks
    Deneen">
  • alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    Lexus recommends every 5000. I do mine every 5K.
  • dalssunildalssunil Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    I have right now Halogen( Without projector) package in my 2005 RX330, i was wondering if i can replace those lamps with HID( With Projector). Has anyone done that before.
  • bladeturnerbladeturner Member Posts: 2
    I own an 04 RX330 with just over 55k miles. Recently when I drive only a short distance all tha caution light will come on (ABS, Brake, Trac off ect. and the low tire light will flash) This happened a few month ago and I replaced the battery, the problem went away. Has anyone had the same problem? Or know of a fix?
  • solar2000solar2000 Member Posts: 25
    Hi guys, just wanted an opinion from some of you experienced owners..

I just bought a 2008 RX350 today.

What do you think about the extended warranty plan? 7 yr/75000 miles or 7 yr/100000 miles? Is it worth it? How much are lexus repairs beyond the 4 year mark? I know it's too early to tell but those of you with the 300's.. I just made my down payment, and have a chance to buy one of these options (such as the simonize thing and other stuff) before my final deal is done (i'm already committed...paid a significant deposit already).

thanks in advance for your opinions.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a '99 (actually got it 6/98) and ,knock on wood, no real problems at all and I have 160,000 miles on it. I have heard some horror stories about transmissions going out but don't know how widespread the problem is.
  • jerryfjerryf Member Posts: 6
    I would wait until you are close to the original warranty expiration date before purchasing the extended. I have a 2004 & what I was quoted when new vs. the price today are about the same. My RX is low mileage (<30k) but will be 4 yrs old in November. I have had a few minor problems, but I know once out of warranty they would probably be quite expensive to fix, which is the reason I will probably opt for the extended warranty.
  • solar2000solar2000 Member Posts: 25
    That's a good point Jerry but do they offer the option of buying an extended warranty that far down the road? If your car has been having a lot of problems, they obviously don't want to give you an extended warranty knowing that its going to cost them a lot more.
  • jerryfjerryf Member Posts: 6
    I've had the passenger outside mirror replaced as it quit working. Last year, the A/C would quit whenever it rained-I think there was a TSIB out for this one. Just a couple of other minor issues. My concern is if I keep it another 2-3 years, if something like the A/C goes out, the warranty would pay for itself. The dealership doesn't mind selling it because I'm sure they make money off of it & since it is Lexus/Toyota backed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the dealership probably would get reimbursed from Lexus just as they do when they need to perform standard warranty work.
  • 1plantation1plantation Member Posts: 1
    re:grinding noise--dealer replaced a "U" bolt in the steering column and rectified this pesky problem @ 26k-- Hope this helps.
  • georged98georged98 Member Posts: 34
    I have both the Tire Pressure Monitoring System light on and the Maintenance Required light on. I do my own oil changes and I need to reset this light.
    Also I had the car sit for two months without using it and the TPMS light is now on even though the tire pressure is correct.
    Is there any way of resetting these two lights or do I have to go to the dealer and have them reset it.
    Thanks.
  • janb1janb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Lexus RX330 with about 21,000 miles. From the beginning I noticed a loud groaning type noise. I thought it was associated with my steering column so I had them check it. I've noticed now it seems to happen upon acceleration. Has anyone experienced that? Also I've noticed little nicks or chips in the paint job (which are down to the metal) on my hood. I had a body shop person tell me that it shouldn't do that & to ask for a Factory Rep. to take a look at it, since my local Lexus place said there's nothing that can be done. I've been told the Ser. Mngr. is the only one who can tell you when the Fact. Rep. is coming. I've called him three times & I still haven't heard back from him! I also have noticed on the doors that there are many spots that are down to the metal as well. I've owned a Mercedes & a Volvo & I never had that problem.
    Is there anyone who has experienced this?
    janb1
  • alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    On the paint chips, yes, my 2004 has many chips in the paint, particularly after a few trips to snow country as in California they use sand/gravel instead of salt on the roads. I asked my dealer and a neighboring dealer, they all said it is expected with the low VOC paints they have to use and showed me their loaner fleet and they were just as bad. I am kicking myself for not getting the clear bra? put on when the car was new. If your Service Manager won't return your calls, call the 1-800-LEXUS number.
    Haven't had the groaning noise so can't help there.
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    Just had a 60K service done on our RX. We also replaced the tires. Car was working great before. All of a sudden, the ride is ROUGH. Not sure what happened. Has anyone else had their RX perform worst after a service?
  • fudfud Member Posts: 5
    I have a 06. same thing with the hood. My understanding is that its the paint. They are using a safer environmental paint with less lead, therefore, paint isn't as strong as the older cars....
  • sbr3sbr3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I bought a 2004 rx330 a couple of months ago and I am having a terrible experience with the paint.
    There are alot of spots on the bumper and hood and I took it to the dealer, who told me it was just from bugs and could be buffed out.
    I took it to a detailer and was told that the paint had corroded from "something" and couldn't be buffed out, only repainted. I was all the way down to the metal.
    I got a second opinion which ended up the same, so I called the 1-800 lexus number.
    I talked to a real nice representative and she seemed like they were going to try to work with me on it, but they called the service person at the lexus dealership that I had taken the car to and ended up with that guy telling me that nothing could be done and I had to fix it with my collision insurance.
    I have never had a car with this kind of paint problems and I feel that it has something to do with the paint itself.
    I continue to see more marks everyday and it is really upsetting me to pay so much for a vehicle to have it do this.
    I am trying to find out if there are alot of other people having this same problem before I talk to the lexus corp people again.
    The guy at the dealership told me that I could leave my car there for the factory rep to look at the next time he/she visits them, which I am going to do, but I don't know how much good it will do.
    Please reply if you have had paint problems, so I can pass it on to the lexus corp.........Thanks
    We are having the same issues as well.

2005 Lexus RX330.
  • dalssunildalssunil Member Posts: 3
    i have the same problem with my 2005 rx 330...
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    My 2005 RX 330 has more than its share of dings and chips in the paint also.
    We just replaced the Michelins with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. These tires are AMAZING! True SUV tires. The Michelin's worked well, but the Bridgestones are just superior and LESS EXPENSIVE.I dont understand why Lexus puts CAR tires on a SUV. Purchased the tires off Tire Rack. Had my dealer install them for $50.00 (I also had an oil change done $70.00)
  • rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    The following is from the Owner's Manual on how to reset the "Maintenance Required" light. I have used it a few times.

Reset the system by the following procedure:
    1. Turn the ignition key to the &#147;LOCK&#148; position with the
    odometer reading shown.
    2. Turn the ignition key to the &#147;ON&#148; position while holding down the &#147;ODO/TRIP&#148; button. Hold down the button for at least 5 seconds. The odometer indicates &#147;000000&#148; and the light goes off. If the system fails to reset, the light will continue flashing.

I don't know how to reset the Tire Pressure Monitoring System if there is no problem with the actual tire pressures. The Owner's Manual says to see the dealer.

Rich
  • fudfud Member Posts: 5
    can you post some pictures of this problem?
  • sbr3sbr3 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I haven't been back on to reply.
    I don't know how to post a picture on here.
    Click the "Help" link at the bottom of this page for instructions on posting a picture.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I've got an '04 RX330, bought new Feb. '04. It has about 35K miles, and I was wondering about when most of your are replacing batteries.

I used to always replace them at 4 years because living in TX the heat was as bad, or worse for them as the cold up north. We're getting ready to move to Colorado around Christmas and I was wondering about replacing it before we move.

I wouldn't want my wife to be inconvenienced by a roadside replacement, expensive and not as likely to get a good quality.

Any thoughts.
    Four years is probably a reasonable schedule though the actual lifetime of a battery can range anywhere from very brief to a very long time! It depends largely on how deeply discharged the battery becomes in its operational cycle. A battery that always remains close to being fully charged can last 10 or more times longer than one that undergoes deep discharging.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rootman1rootman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '07 RX 350 and notice paint chips along the front bumper and hood. The vehicle was purchased June 06 and has 13000 miles only. It is a daily commuter virtually no highway use consequently. What is more disturbing to me, there are numerous chips along the bottom of the door well and no one ever rides back there. The paint simply is chipping in a few spots. I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow to have the air conditioner fixed (states air conditioer needs service) and to examine the paint issue. Not impressed. Judging by some other threads I have read re: Lexus paint and the poor company response, my expectations are low.