Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-7X

Comments

• rcegglrceggl Posts: 31
    GM is trying to introduce another SUV by using the Saab name. Once GM goes into the full swing of controlling production of Saab vehicles, we will see the end of another solid vehicle at GM's hands. This company is totally out of control and it is so very, very sad. Leadership is totally absent.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I think most of us agree.
  • saaboysaaboy Posts: 23
    I think most of us, as well as other SAAB enthusiats have notived that :cry: But, come one. Have hope. I might be the most anti-GM-SAAB guy ever, but even after noticing what is going on, I manage not to break down crying (except for earlier in this post). We all know it's happening, now it's just a matter of picking the year of the least GM and most SAAB model. I'm thinking even the newer 9-5s are in pretty good shape compared to the 9-3 or the rebadged cars? What do you guys think?
    I think are the best Saabs currently available for two reasons:
    1) they're not rebadge jobs (they share platforms, sure, but they look very different from their counterparts)

AND

2) They're built in SWEDEN!

How can a Saab built in Japan or Moraine, Ohio, be a genuine Saab?
    Well yes, I think most people agree that the 9-7[X] and 9-2[X] are not SAABs. But when it comes down to the 9-3 and 9-5, I think 9-3 is losing :(, even though I like the fact that the new V6 has 250 HP, 9-5 gets the same numbers with a smaller engine and even better. SAAB supposedly has designed an ethanol powered version of the 9-5 Wagon wit 300 horsepower! And I bet they could get more HP, but I highly doubt it will go into production. Anyway, look at the 9-3. All the new features that a 9-5 should have, but doesn't. Reaxs, aluminum block and heads instead of cast iron on the 9-5 (not that aluminum is neceserily better) and other things such as bluetooth even? GM is OBVIOUSLY pushing the 9-3. Which means they want to make it more appealing more price-wise. Which means more shared parts. Which also means less money spent on making the car a good-quality-reliable-real SAAB.
    I like the 9-5 actually, and I think it can go on for another year or two. Problem is, there won't be a new Saab 9-5 until 2009.
    Wait, wait. First of all, I thought that date was much earlier. Second of all, that is the date the good 9-5 croaks. A redesigning (a.k.a .chance to rebadge) is not good...
    reading somewhere (I think it was Motor Trend) that the next generation Saab 9-5 would be based off of a lengthened next generation Epsilon platform that will be shared with the next generation 9-3.

The current 9-5, although very, very, good, is beginning to show its age.
    Yea, I see little SAAB/GM articles every once in ahwhile in motor trend. Just got new motor trend issue today as a matter of fact. 9-5 is already sharing it's platform wit 9-3 ain't it? As well as malibu and malibu maxx? Ew, I flinch everytime i see one of those on the road. 9-5 is aging, yes. I have a question though. Considering im a little boy, hence my name, I don't know how much of the car is actually made up by the "platform" or fuselage hehe, i mean chassis. If 9-5 is one of safest cars on the road, which i believe it is, then why doesn't GM brag about their malibus being so safe? How much safety or strengthening is added? I dunno anything...
  • pitsterpitster Posts: 3
    This afternoon my wife and I stopped by the SAAB dealer to see if they had received a 9-7x. We were surprised to learn that they had recently received two; an Arc and a Linear. The Dealer Principle had taken the V8 Linear for the long weekend, so we drove the Arc with the inline 6. We are original owners of a 1996 Impala SS and a 1999 Tahoe 2wd Police model. I also have experience driving my father's 2001 Deville. So these are the benchmarks that our impressions of the 9-7x are based upon.

The exterior of the 9-7x looked attractive and bore no immediate resemblance to the TrailBlazer, Envoy or Rainier. It looked unique in a positive way and better in person than in photographs. The lack of garish bodyside moldings was a definite aesthetic plus, but may be a parking lot liability discovered only after the damage has been done. This clean bodyside approach is also being applied by Cadillac on many of its A+S models. Only time will tell if this fad is folly. With the engine running, and the AC set to auto, I walked around the exterior and listened to the vehicle. The sound was not completely pleasant. It sounded like an air compressor running. So much so that I wondered if the vehicle had such a compressor to assist the rear suspension. In the time that I was outside of the vehicle the sound did not go away so maybe this is the way that the I6 exhaust sounds at idle.

The interior was very good. Not quite to VW Touareg standards but certainly in B+ territory. I saw no evidence of the typical mouse fur that GM has exposed its drivers to for the past decade or so. Very nice gauge cluster and comfortable steering wheel. Excellent feel on the HVAC and radio switch surfaces and their actions. The turn signal lever also had a great action to it, but lacked the rubbery tactile of the other switches - and because of that felt a little out of place. The transmission shift lever looked attractive and felt good in the hand - but unsubstantial when used. So much so that I tapped on it with a fingernail to learn that it also sounded like a hollow piece of plastic. The seats and their leather felt very good and looked to be completely practical for many future years of service. The seatbelts worked effortlessly and were comfortable to wear. The carpet was the typical GM crap that they are even using on Cadillacs these days. However, I did not see the individual floor mats as they were stored in the back. In true GM fashion the HVAC worked flawlessly but I did find the fan a little louder than I'm used to for comparable air flow rates - particularly the rear HVAC fan. I sampled FM radio on the Bose stereo. While it sounded good - it did not sound natural to me. The unit has several EQ presets - and I tried each one at least twice - but I couldn't find a natural sound. Too much subwoofer and either too much or not enough tweeter. Perhaps this can be manually adjusted, but I didn't have the time to find out. Suffice to say that if you are a fan of Hip Hop and Urban music this system may appeal to you more than if AOR or Baroque are your bag. I know that Bose can get it right for my ear - I find their system in the Deville to be most appealing. I was disappointed to discover that there was no electrochromatic rearview mirror - it is a manual day/night mirror! This is an oversight that needs to be corrected by Saab. If you do any night driving you will quickly appreciate the benefits of an electrochromatic. Trick Saab cupholder on the dash and pleasant feeling centre armrest with useful storage. No nav system but this is apparently coming in 2006. Unfortunately no rear parking assist. This is a nice to have - especially with light-truck bumpers that fold up like lawn chairs when they suffer the slightest impact. Why can't they mount these on enersorbers like those for automobiles?

The engine and transmission were well matched. If there is anything that GM can bring to the Saab table it's their automatic transmissions. Just consider BMW, Rolls Royce, Lincoln and others that have or currently use them. The transmission was flawless. The engine was the smoothest that I have ever experienced. I have read that an inline six is the most inherently smooth firing engine design, but even with the AC on - and at idle - there was absolutely no vibration. While driving I never found that the engine lacked for power - even when ascending a poorly designed highway on-ramp - but due to traffic I never drove it above 50 mph. I should remind you that this was with the AC on, which I find can place a noticeable drag on either of my 5.7 litre engines. The I6 engine was eager to rev similar to the way that my father's Northstar wants to rev like a sewing machine. This may be a trait of dual over head cam engines.

The ride and handling are harder to describe. I have only driven one vehicle that had a harsher ride than my 99 Tahoe Police - that was a 2005 Acura RL. The RL rode so poorly on rough pavement that I stopped the test drive to double check the tire pressures! The ride quality of the 9-7x was generally rougher yet more compliant on sharp impacts than my 96 Impala SS with less rebound and less head-shake than my 99 Tahoe Police. So overall I would describe the ride quality as comparable to both - but more refined. Do you need a kidney belt when riding in a 9-7x? No. Will you fall asleep driving it? No. Do you want to ride in this on the way home from the Chiropractor? Probably not my first choice - but better than most. On corners I found the 9-7x a little tippy or top heavy when compared to my clean-roof 99 Tahoe Police. This may be due to a higher centre of gravity further raised by the weight of the 9-7x's optional sunroof and standard roof rack. As well, this vehicle had just over 1/4 tank of gas. A full tank of gas and no sunroof may noticeably lower the vehicle's centre of gravity. Although this 9-7x had less than 25 miles on its odometer - I found the brakes to be solid, confidence-inspiring and easily modulated when executing a smooth complete stop. The interior was very quiet and well isolated from road noise - but not as quiet as my father's 2001 Deville.

The 9-7x appealed to my wife. She did not find that the I6 lacked power, and the 9-7x raised no driver or passenger-related concerns with her.

Would I buy this 9-7x? Yes, with the following cavaets: 1) electrochromatic rearview mirror; 2) nav system; 3) some more exterior colour choices (white, yellow, green, red); and, 4) I was offered a fair price.

I have looked seriously at five vehicles this year: Acura RL, Cadillac SRX, Cadillac STS, Saab 9-7x, Volkswagon Touareg. If I was asked to pick one of these, to be used 365/12, my choice would be the 9-7x.
    The key things that make a car safe are the crumple zones and the design of the car. So since the Malibu and 9-3 (I don't think the 9-5 shares a platform with the Malibu, but correct me if it does) have different structural designs, then they will perform differently in crash tests. Saab invested more $$$ into strengthing the key components that make the car safer than Chevrolet did.

The Malibu and Malibu Maxx are still quite safe though.
    hmmm, yea. I didn't think about the crumple zones. But I remember reading that the 9-3 AND 9-5 shared the same platform, and went on to read it a couple more times. I thought to myself, how is that possible? Kinda like 3 and 5 series sharing the same platform?
    The current 9-5 shares a platform with an Opel, I think...

It's possible to share a platform between cars of different size classes. The Odyssey, Pilot, MDX, and Ridgeline all share a platform. You can make the frame longer if you want, and cut down on development costs...

The Camry, Highlander, Sienna, and RX330 share a platform...

If you look around and actually think about it, a lot of cars share platforms nowadays, despite being sized differently.

And No, the 3 and 5 Series don't share platforms. BMW has enough $$$ to build seperate ones, but the 5 Series and X5 share platforms, as do the 3 and X3.
    Yea, SAAB does share wit opel. Ew, all these platfor shareages. Does a civic and a TSX share platforms?
    no. The Acura TSX shares a platform with the European Honda Accord.

The Civic shares a platform with the RSX/Integra.
  • carsareuscarsareus Posts: 10
    I saw my first 97x across the street from where I was getting a slice. It looked quite attractive from the front when I walked past it, the saab grill is a great touch. The car just happened to be black. As I am eating my pizza a black trailblazer parks right behind it. An amazing coincidence that proved the overall distaste for design in GM. Saab a company that has always had quite varying designs from the rest has finally fallen victim to the invasion of the GM (car) body snatchers. Check out some pics on carlist.com

chevy = 27,000

saab = 38,000
  • taisautaisau Posts: 1
    >Because the alternative would be nostalgia.

Nostalgia would be better.

Nostalgia is inevitable for every make of car, what matters is how it is met.
    Seeing the frankenSaabs on the road for a few more sad years has now taken most of the nostalgia away from me. These simply are not saab cars. Why do so many people pretend they are by even making reference to the past? The name was bought in order to sell other cars.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,261

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

He says its important to build Saabs with Saab character.

Hmmm...

Where does that leave the 9-2X and 9-7X?
    lol, I thought about highlighting the last paragraph of the story, but I figured it'd get noticed soon enough. At least the character issue is on the table.

Steve, Host

And it seems like they have a plan, and they don't seem to want to shut down the Trollhattan plant, which are good things...
    All I can Say is:

Not Good, especially when Lexus, Volvo, and Acura all make safer SUVs.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    Mildly curious to check it out. (I currently have a 9-5 Arc wagon with the discontinued v6). I drove the v6 version. The engine strains when you push it. My 200 horse v6 with a turbo is much more effortless on acceleration. And man, do you feel every bump in the road, almost worse than my wagon. The one thing I truly don't like about my saab is the road vibration. The 9-7x dampens the vibration on the steering wheel nicely, though and overall , it is quieter. It handled fairly well, though I think I detected a slight shimmy when I went over certain bumps. They tried to make it sporty like the saab, which can be a good thing and a bad thing depending on what you like. Tight supsension (maybe too tight?), tight though smooth steering.
    The interior is nice enough. Comfy seats, nicely padded steering wheel, much nicer armrest and hey, they threw in an extra cupholder! But in the back, the cupholders are on the back of the center console near the floor, useless to my 5 year old son sitting in his carseat. I like my rear seat armrest with the cupholders that slide out. The 9-7 is quieter than my wagon, in terms of road noise, thanks to laminated glass.
    Rear visibility was not good thanks to the small rear window, small mirror and wide pillars on the back.
    As for the room, they claim it's 80.1 cu feet with the rear seats folded down, about 6 cu feet more than the wagon. It doesn't really feel any bigger though, and the cargo area is definitely shorter in length. Guess they make up for it in height. The rear seat area is quite roomy, they probably get some space there.
    In the end, I don't think I'd own one. But at least I gave it a shot.
  • i hate to say but i agree with you. if saab can't stand on their soapbox and talk about the safety of their vehicles then they have very little to talk about. very disappointing...
  • where did everyone go????

I guess not many care about the 9-7X.
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    It also appears that dealers don't stock them.
    it also appears that the general public doesn't care at all about this car.

Dealers don't either. Only GM Corporate cares about it.

It actually looks OK, but I wouldn't pay $40,000 for it. I'd pay maybe $31-$33,000 tops. Plus since its truck-based, and only seats five, its off my list. (not too worried about the truck based part, but combine that with relatively low MPG numbers, and well... might as well get the Odyssey)
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    I think this vehicle will be a failure. Haven't seen any on the road and one local dealer only has 1. I own a 9.5 and just leased a new Freestyle (after considering Pilot and XC90). I wanted to consider this vehicle but given its configuration (as you mention truck based and no 3rd seat, I have three kdis) I didn't. I can't wait any longer for Saab to get with the progam. Where does this truck fit in the market - most others have 3rd seat option?

My whole feeling on this is that GM stopped selling Izuzu in Canada and I think given the lack of attention the dealers give Saab, I think they will be next - and that is unfortunate!
    My first impression was that this vehicle was sort of a placeholder pending the 9-6. See Saab 9-6 (based off Subaru B9 Tribeca).

Any you may be interested in this discussion:

The Future of Saab?

Steve, Host